Thread: Jean-Claude Van Johnson

Jean-Claude Van Johnson

I'm looking forward to this. JCVD has great comic chops (pun intended ). srsly tho, I have new respect for his self deprecating sense of humor, especially since JCVD.

FEBRUARY 23, 2016 12:45pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
    Jean-Claude Van Damme to Star in Amazon Action-Comedy 'Jean-Claude Van Johnson' (Exclusive)

Jean-Claude Van Damme Getty Images

'Jean-Claude Van Johnson' would see him playing a version of himself — a famous actor/martial-arts pro who also happens to be a secret black ops private contractor.
    Jean-Claude Van Damme is ready to give TV a swing.

The action star is set to topline an original scripted comedy for Amazon, The Hollywood Reporter has learned, with the streaming service picking up Jean-Claude Van Johnson to pilot.

Jean-Claude Van Johnson marks a reunion for Van Damme with The Expendables' Dave Callaham, who is attached to pen the script and executive produce alongside Scott Free Television's Ridley Scott and David Zucker. Peter Atencio will direct. The project has been in the works since late 2014, when Callaham wrote it on spec for Scott Free and Van Damme. Production is being eyed to start in mid-May in Los Angeles. Amazon, Gersh, who reps Van Damme, and WME, who rep Scott Free, all declined comment.

Jean-Claude Van Johnson will star Van Damme as a version of himself — a famous actor and martial-arts pro who comes out of retirement to resume his alter-ego: an undercover private contractor by the name of Jean-Claude Van Johnson. The comedy-action thriller will see Johnson's cover as the lead role in a reimagined action film version of Huckleberry Finn that lands him back in the midst of the danger he secretly always craves. It also brings him back in the orbit of Vanessa, his fellow operative and the love of his life that got away.

Jean-Claude Van Johnson marks Van Damme's first small-screen role following a long roster of action features including The Expendables 2, Universal Soldier, Knock Off, Double Team, The Quest, Sudden Death, Hard Target and Last Action Hero, among others, including voice roles in the Kung Fu Panda features. He is repped by Gersh and Hirsch Wallerstein.

Jean-Claude Van Johnson also marks Callaham's first TV project after penning features Zombieland 2 and Jackpot. He also created The Expendables and is credited with the idea behind Legendary's 2014 Godzilla reboot. He next has New Line's untitled Dwayne Johnson starrer and The Expendables 4, due in 2017. Callaham is repped by UTA and Kaplan/Perrone.

For Scott Free TV, meanwhile, the company is wrapping the final season of CBS' critical darling The Good Wife and reteaming with creators Robert and Michelle King for the network's straight-to-series summer drama BrainDead. Van Johnson marks the company's second project with Amazon and joins The Man in the High Castle. The company is repped by WME.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Coming to Amazon Prime - August 19, 2016

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

He has been showing some good comedic range.

Jean-Claude Van Johnson Trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jean Claude van Johnson Fight Trailer (VanDamme)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Green Lit

Anyone see this yet? I want to check it out but I don't have Amazon Prime. JCVD's comic timing is spot on nowadays.

Amazon Orders ‘The Tick,’ ‘I Love ****,’ Jean-Claude Van Damme Comedies to Full Series
    Todd Spangler NY Digital Editor @xpangler

COURTESY OF AMAZON
    SEPTEMBER 27, 2016 | 06:32AM PT
    Amazon Studios announced that it has greenlit three comedies — Jill Soloway’s “I Love ****,” “Jean-Claude Van Johnson” and its reboot of “The Tick” — as original series set to debut in 2017.

The half-hour series are “I Love ****,” adapted by “Transparent” creator Soloway based on the feminist novel about a couple’s marital struggles in the artistic and academic community of Marfa, Texas; “Jean-Claude Van Johnson,” featuring martial-arts actor Jean-Claude Van Damme operating under an alias as the most dangerous undercover private contractor in the world; and “The Tick,” a revival of the offbeat superhero story based on the popular comic.

The new series orders come after Amazon released pilots of each show on Aug. 19; Amazon says it incorporates viewer feedback and ratings in deciding which TV shows to order as full series. “I Love ****,” “The Tick” and “Jean-Claude Van Johnson” are slated to premiere exclusively on Amazon Prime Video next year in the U.S., U.K., Germany, Austria and Japan.

“These pilots were vast in scope, disruptive in tone, challenging in story and sometimes even funny,” said Joe Lewis, head of half-Hour series for Amazon Studios. “It’s rewarding to see customers embrace them in such a huge way. We can’t wait to premiere these series next year on Prime Video.”

“I Love ****” stars Kathryn Hahn (“Transparent”) and Griffin Dunne (“Dallas Buyers Club”) as a couple who move to a Texas college town, after Dunne’s character is offered a fellowship to finish a book on the Holocaust. When they meet ****, played by Kevin Bacon (“The Following”), he upends their preconceptions about love and monogamy.

Based on Chris Kraus’ psycho-sexual novel of the same name, “I Love ****” is executive produced by Soloway, Andrea Sperling (“Transparent”) and Sarah Gubbins (“Ten Aker Wood”). The pilot was directed by Soloway and written by Gubbins.

In “Jean-Claude Van Johnson,” the action-film star (playing himself) has been retired from battling bad guys for years when a chance encounter with a lost love brings him back into the game — and this time, he’ll be deadlier than ever. (Probably.) The pilot starred Van Damme along with Kat Foster (“Your Family or Mine”), Moises Arias (“The Middle”) and Phylicia Rashad (“Creed,” “The Cosby Show”).

“Jean-Claude Van Johnson” is executive produced by Peter Atencio (“Key and Peele”), Ridley Scott (“The Good Wife”), David W. Zucker (“The Man in the High Castle”) and Van Damme. The pilot for the show, from Scott Free Productions, was directed by Atencio, and written and created by Dave Callaham (“Mortal Kombat”).

“The Tick,” based on the comic by Ben Edlund, was previously adapted as a sitcom starring Patrick Warburton in the titular role that aired on Fox in 2001. The Amazon pilot starred Peter Serafinowicz (“Guardians of the Galaxy”), Griffin Newman (“Vinyl”), Jackie Earle Haley (“Watchmen”), Valorie Curry (“House of Lies”), Yara Martinez (“Jane the Virgin”) and Brendan Hines (“Scorpion”).

In the series, in a world where superheroes have been real for decades, an underdog accountant with no superpowers at all (Griffin) realizes his city is owned by a global supervillain long-thought dead. As he struggles to uncover the conspiracy, he falls in league with a strange blue superhero: the Tick (Serafinowicz).

“The Tick” is executive produced by Edlund (“Supernatural”), Barry Josephson (“Bones”) and Barry Sonnenfeld (Lemony Snicket’s “A Series of Unfortunate Events”), directed by Wally Pfister (The Dark Knight), and written by Edlund. The show is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review!

I really enjoyed the Jean-Claude Van Johnson pilot. JCVD is at the top of his game here. Great comedy, great action for a man past 50. I especially luved all the vaping bearded hipsters.

It's funny because I used to disdain his work. He was so much of a pretty boy and his choreography was too gratuitously split-heavy. But now, his face has matured and he carries a lot more gravitas. Plus he now understands his own comedic power in self deprecation. He has become one of my favorite martial actors. Spot on, JCVD.

I just hope I can justify keeping Amazon Prime until the rest of the series comes out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jean-Claude Van Johnson - Teaser: Welder [HD] | Amazon Video

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jean-Claude Van Johnson - Official Trailer [HD] | Amazon Video

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now available on Amazon Prime

The Reinvention of Jean-Claude Van Damme
    'Jean-Claude Van Johnson' finds the action star playing a more self-aware version of himself – here's how JCVD did it, in his own words
    By Kory Grow
    21 hours ago

Jean-Claude Van Damme discusses how he learned not to take himself so seriously in the new Amazon series, 'Jean-Claude Van Johnson.' Graham Walzer/Redux

Jean-Claude Van Damme – the kickboxing King of the Splits, the street-fighting inspiration for the game Mortal Kombat, the fabled flexing "Muscles From Brussels" – can get seriously silly.

"I like to make voices with my kids," he says nonchalantly. "You see a cartoon and you do one." Then Van Damme asks, "Can you make a voice for me? Make a voice for me." After a few increasingly goofy back-and-forths, the star of Bloodsport comes back with a non-sequitur that sounds like a cross between Kermit the Frog and Ray Romano: "I'm sorry about your shoelace." He lets out a big laugh.

Long one of Hollywood's hardest men, Van Damme, now 57, shows a somewhat softer side in the new TV series, Jean-Claude Van Johnson, which premieres in full on Amazon on December 15th. The martial artist plays a fictionalized version of himself – a down-on-his-luck Van Damme (his preferred third-person way of referring to himself) who turns to covert, black-ops assignments as a means of reviving his career. Going undercover will also, he hopes, help him win back the woman he loves, a makeup artist (and special agent) named Vanessa, played by Kat Foster. By day, he acts in a ridiculous action-movie adaptation of Huckleberry Finn; by night he becomes alter ego "Jean-Claude Van Johnson," windmill-kicking his way through Europe's seedy drug underground in the name of justice. It's got enough action and plot twists, including plenty of references to his film oeuvre, to satiate the actor's core audience. But it's also tongue-in-cheek enough to show that everyone involved is in on the joke.

After all, Van Damme's manner in conversation is not brusque, like the tough guys he plays in films like Kickboxer, Timecop and Universal Soldier. Nor is he the depressed, fictionalized version of himself he played in JCVD, a role that earned him praise for his acting rather than his ass-kicking. Instead, he's earnest, easily prone to laughter and self-aware. At one point, he professes his love for Rolling Stone ("I was in Rolling Stone, like, 22 years ago ... I hope [you] like 'JCVJ'") and is pleasantly surprised when told we wanted to talk to him about the project. "Oh, I see, so you are choosing us?" he says. "That is an honor."

In some ways, Jean-Claude Van Johnson mirrors the Muscles From Brussels' real life. While his career is far from shambolic, this was his first production to film in the United States in more than a decade by his account. "The people in Los Angeles are very professional," he says, adding that he liked getting more time to develop his character than usual. And he's also played his share of wacky roles. Once a major box office draw, many of his films since 2001 have come out direct-to-video. And, like Van Johnson's Huck (and pitches for "action re-imaginings" of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and Anne of Green Gables), he's gotten more than his fair share of oddball pitches.

"There was a movie in France called Dog [Chien]," Van Damme says. "It's about a guy who loses his dog, and he has a coupon left to train his dog, so he comes to me. I say, 'I can train you to be a dog.' So he's becoming my dog with a leash, and he runs for the ball. The man's wife left him and makes him believe he has the 'anti-Van Damme' disease." He laughs. "It's a great, cynical movie. It's like a Depardieu-type of film."
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Van Damme, right, as a fictional counterpart of himself in "Jean-Claude Van Johnson." Amazon Prime Video

Van Damme chose to work on Van Johnson because it was an opportunity to show off different sides of his personality. "It's kind of a complicated show, but it makes sense at the end," he says. Comedy, he says, comes easy to him as long as he can get the timing right. He didn't worry about the more personal aspects of the script because he has known creator Dave Callaham for years ("I've known him since he was in China with his mother; she's into martial arts") and never felt uncomfortable with the show's jokes, such as people mistaking him for both Nicolas Cage and Val Kilmer.

His only reservation was working on something that wasn't a motion picture. "I was scared because TV is different," he says. "TV is a lot of dialogue and it's a different type of business. It's three months, 8 to 10 or 11 o'clock at night every day."

The star eventually fell into the groove, even though he lives a generally more relaxed life off camera. Usually, a day in the life of Van Damme starts at around 10 in the morning: "I get my little coffee, then I kiss all my dogs. I have lots of dogs, like eight dogs, so I play with them for 10 to 20 minutes. I say hello to my wife before the dogs, of course, but if I don't see her in the house, I say hello to the dogs first." He rides a hover-board around his home ("It's a big house," he says) before he settles down to look at YouTube and read articles. "Then I go to the gym, ride my car – it's a convertible car," says the actor. "And I come home slowly at night with my dog – I bring my dog to the gym.

"I'm a simple guy," he continues. "I don't got to Vegas. I don't go to Monaco. ... When I make a movie, I'm completely focused. It's like a different life. I'm like a soldier."

Discipline, which for him comes from martial arts ("My real love," he says, "it's the art of perfection"), is his guiding light. And he gives a lot of credit to the amount of time he spends training. A few years ago, Van Damme enjoyed 15 minutes of viral fame when a Volvo ad, which showed him calmly doing a very wide split with his feet resting on two moving 10-wheel trucks, became a hit. His ability to stretch his legs is a major part of Jean-Claude Van Johnson, in fact; still, he demurs when the subject comes up in an interview. "Everyone is asking me if it's gotten harder to do the splits," he says. "I can, but it's going to get tough later. You have to keep stretching. That's the secret. Just don't stretch too much. Only do it three times a week; if not, you can inflame your tendons."

His M.O. is to move his body up and down "like an octopus moving in the water, trying to get away from a plexi box" but he won't do it without a spotter. On a similar note, he likes to train other people, and there's a scene in Jean-Claude Van Johnson where he trains Foster. The actor says she surprised him. "Not only did she have flexibility but she had power," he says. "She kicked me in the face accidentally. But believe me, behind that foot was pure horse power."

Van Damme also credits training with helping him handle depression in real life. After he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in in the late Nineties, he took the time to study himself. "I train differently, I eat differently, I'm trying to talk less fast because I have lots of passion for the project," he says. "I'm better than yesterday."

It's a side of himself that he allowed to show in Jean-Claude Van Johnson. In one scene, he faces what appears to be a clone of himself and asks the alternate Van Damme to tell him something only he would know. "You tried to fill your emptiness with fame, and it didn't work," the Other Van Damme says. "You have a big hole in your heart because you don't think that you will ever be loved." The real-life star says that line struck him on a gut level. "It was good dialogue," he says. "Dave must know me, because it was internal. It was close to home."

Kick out the jams: Van Damme, right, in 1988's 'Bloodsport.' Everett Collection

The show also afforded Van Damme an opportunity to reflect on his legacy. With some of the plot focusing on an actor relishing past glories – there's even a Blockbuster Video cameo in one episode – he says he was able to appreciate what he did in the past. "I like Bloodsport, Timecop and Lionheart," he says. "I've done some good classic films with lots of heart and sincerity. I like to mention that, because in the VHS era – with Stallone and Arnold – and in some countries you had to go by bicycle or bus through the snow to return tapes. It was almost like an event. Papa or mama would slide the tape in, nobody talks, you cut the phone. And it was able for families to enjoy being together. The VHS disappeared, so now you can watch 2,000 fresh new Van Dammes and you will forget them. But in that period, I had the chance to have two cycles of audience. Now Amazon is a new audience for me."

Now he's feeling optimistic about the future, but he's also managing his expectations. "For a while, I was kind of forgotten there," Van Damme says. "'OK, Jean-Claude, what's he doing? Sudden Death, March of Death, Dead Dead Dead and Double Dead, and what was the last one? Dead on Dead.'" He cracks up (the only real title there is Sudden Death). "So we go from Dead Dead Dead to this type of project, it's also good for my career.

"I have been through so many situations in my life, where I say, 'OK, I am back up,'" he continues, sounding serious this time. "I'm back up again, but we'll see if this it. There could be an earthquake tomorrow. But you never know. It's a great way to come back."
    I'm so eager to start watching this. I was going to start last night but wound up reviewing some of The Force Awakens in preparation for the Last Jedi instead.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jean-Claude Van Johnson - Clip: Daddy's Home [HD] | Amazon Video

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

The rest of the season didn't quite live up to the promise of the pilot, but it did have enough amusing moments for me to watch more.. It's only 6 30-min eps including the pilot it's so not like trying to binge season upon season of many other shows. The pilot remains the strongest episode. The rest of the season has moments of hysterical JCVD self-deprecating parody as well as some stand out examples of JCVD actually acting. His face has matured to deliver some surprisingly emotional moments given the absurd context. The fight choreography is unimpressive from a technical standpoint, but there's some colorful sanguinous moments, and the premise of many of the fights is entertaining. And it goes a lot of places because the distinction between JCVD and JCVJ is muddled by SPOILER jcvv, filip & time cop END SPOILER. The pacing kept me invested because just as it felt like it might slide into a mediocre actioner, some funny JCVD nod would play out and make me grin. I imagine it really only completely works if you have a good grasp of JCVD and his legacy.

If you liked the film JCVD (2008), I recommend this. If you haven't seen that, you really should.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cancelled...

Well, that's a bummer. I was enjoying that.

Amazon Cancels Three More Shows
    Amazon's new outlook finds comedy series Jean-Claude Van Johnson, I Love Dick and One Mississippi wanting...they've all got the boot.
    NEWS
    Kirsten Howard
    Jan 18, 2018

The bodies are piling up at Amazon after the company splashed some seriously insane cash to acquire the Lord Of The Rings TV series last year.

Comedy shows Jean-Claude Van Johnson, I Love Dick, and One Mississippi have joined more high-brow dramas like The Last Tycoon and Z: The Beginning Of Everything in the category marked 'expendable' - Amazon cancelled all three in one wave this week, Variety reports.

The Kevin Bacon-starring I Love Dick arrived from Jill Soloway last May after she'd made a decent success of Amazon's Transparent, but the numbers were nowhere near what they were hoping for, and with a fifth season of Transparent now looking less likely than it was before star Jeffrey Tambor became embroiled in last year's wave of sexual harassment allegations, plans for any further series she's set to develop are unclear at this point.

Jean-Claude Van Johnson, meanwhile, is a little show we've celebrated here at Den Of Geek in the past - it's been a whole lot of fun to watch - so we'll be in mourning for that one this week.

Amazon has mapped out a new strategy for the future of its TV series in the wake of ex-head honcho Roy Price's firing last year. Original series with a more personal, indie approach are mostly being discarded in favour of a new 'bigger and better' vision, as the streaming service arm continues the search for its own viewer-hogging Game Of Thrones.

Y'all better like hobbits walking places. Like, a lot.

More Amazon TV slaughter news as it breaks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips