Thread: Pre Crime- inside the mind of people who kill

Pre Crime- inside the mind of people who kill

I often consider how much is to much policing. When it comes to preventing innocent life from being taken. I lean more towards, it may be a good thing. Of course with every choice comes consequence. I currently have the same mental dilemma over firearm ownership. Something I used to feel strongly about. Pro Gun. I feel less and less strongly about that almost on a daily basis. Trying to find the balance based on individual incident and possible future catastrophe doings ones best to avoid removing liberties.

Thankfully, that's not my job.

http://time.com/3816212/brain-murder-morality/

I heard about this some time ago:

http://www.alternet.org/culture/10-c...st-psychopaths

I think we need to broaden the scope of this study and include forum posters. I think I qualify, LOL. Also fairly certain, Im not the only one.

**** it. I scored a 22 on this. Maybe 4 questions I was uncertain because I had done so in past. I guess hostile corporate take over is not in my cards regardless what anyone wants to sell you. I always considered myself a second anyway. I'll back the leader all the way if I believe in him. I may become psychopathic if people do not toe the f-cking line. But I will feel bad I had to do it afterwards unless I don't like you.

http://vistriai.com/psychopathtest/

I scored 15, but there were some questions that were iffy. If I had taken that test about 20 years ago, I would have scored much higher. And I highly doubt a real psychopath is capable of becoming less of one as he/she becomes older/more mature. But it's not a professional test anyway. I suppose some people could score over 30 on it and still not really be psychopathic.

Jimbo, veering but I wonder and I suspect the answer could be right. Would it be possible to create a psychopath ? Say take someone(s) beyond the formative years , although I think life continues to changes us all inside and out, and through teaching/tasks and events grow him into it? Or is it mainly a born with neurology? A combination of both ? For certain I am not the first to ask this question. And the answer is probably somewhere but privileged.

Although, some lesser know private studies my in fact be public ? Hmm....

Maybe one day I'll look.

Billy,

If I remember correctly, psychopaths are born and sociopaths are made. Meaning, sociopaths become that way due to negative experiences or influences. Also, psychopaths can generally come across as better adjusted in society, and are better able to pass as 'normal' and even 'charming' than are sociopaths.

We went over this before. I recalled last night when I went to bed. I think Gene said he was bordering or went over, LOL.

It is interesting and maybe one day Ill look more completely but really to me it is Good and Bad. We can all be bad. Some are better at it. We can all be good. Some are better at it. So as long as one does not have something that prevents rational thoughts/ behavior. I'd say, you made a choice. Others may decide to make a choice too.

Oh yeah, I found this last night. Again, this is very potentially bad but at the same time potentially very good. Liberties will certainly be removed. I don't like that but sometimes perhaps depending on the circumstances, it is needed. The potential for abuse of such technologies is enormous. Cleary it will fall into the hands of people who have a strong tendency to be bad even if they are good.

http://americanvision.org/12566/pre-...nority-report/

Was this not example using older technology to achieve the same end?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/aug/19/5

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Oh yeah, I found this last night. Again, this is very potentially bad but at the same time potentially very good. Liberties will certainly be removed. I don't like that but sometimes perhaps depending on the circumstances, it is needed. The potential for abuse of such technologies is enormous. Cleary it will fall into the hands of people who have a strong tendency to be bad even if they are good.

http://americanvision.org/12566/pre-...nority-report/
    I don't know, Billy. When you start giving up freedoms in the name of increased security, those freedoms are pretty much gone forever. How far will they go? As far as they want to, especially if enough people are willing to give up their freedoms. I for one do NOT want a total police state. Once you're there, there's no going back. It would be naive not to believe that people in power are megalomaniacs, or to think they only have everyone's best interests at heart. Even if some of them do, the saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I don't know, Billy. When you start giving up freedoms in the name of increased security, those freedoms are pretty much gone forever. How far will they go? As far as they want to, especially if enough people are willing to give up their freedoms. I for one do NOT want a total police state. Once you're there, there's no going back. It would be naive not to believe that people in power are megalomaniacs, or to think they only have everyone's best interests at heart. Even if some of them do, the saying goes: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

That's what scares me. How do you find a balance ? How do you control it ? What is to stop misuse ?

And now, to make this thread more ON TOPIC

I wonder if this forum would become a red flag...

China Tries Its Hand at Pre-Crime
    Beijing wants to identify subversives before they strike.
    Shai Oster
    Bloomberg Businessweek Reprints
    March 3, 2016 — 1:24 PM PST

Illustration: Jay Daniel Wright for Bloomberg Businessweek

China’s effort to flush out threats to stability is expanding into an area that used to exist only in dystopian sci-fi: pre-crime. The Communist Party has directed one of the country’s largest state-run defense contractors, China Electronics Technology Group, to develop software to collate data on jobs, hobbies, consumption habits, and other behavior of ordinary citizens to predict terrorist acts before they occur. “It’s very crucial to examine the cause after an act of terror,” Wu Manqing, the chief engineer for the military contractor, told reporters at a conference in December. “But what is more important is to predict the upcoming activities.”
    The program is unprecedented because there are no safeguards from privacy protection laws and minimal pushback from civil liberty advocates and companies, says Lokman Tsui, an assistant professor at the School of Journalism and Communication at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, who has advised Google on freedom of expression and the Internet. The project also takes advantage of an existing vast network of neighborhood informants assigned by the Communist Party to monitor everything from family planning violations to unorthodox behavior. A draft cybersecurity law unveiled in July grants the government almost unbridled access to user data in the name of national security. “If neither legal restrictions nor unfettered political debate about Big Brother surveillance is a factor for a regime, then there are many different sorts of data that could be collated and cross-referenced to help identify possible terrorists or subversives,” says Paul Pillar, a nonresident fellow at the Brookings Institution.
    Building a crystal ball to predict and prevent terror attacks, a real-world version of Minority Report, is the ultimate goal of crime fighters the world over. But, so far, more data has just meant more noise, security experts say. “There are not enough examples of terrorist activity to model what it looks like in data, and that’s true no matter how much data you have,” says Jim Harper, a senior fellow at the Cato Institute. “You need yeast to make bread. You can’t make up for a lack of yeast by adding more flour.”

“We don’t call it a big data platform but a united information environment.” —Wu Manqing, China Electronics Technology
    China was a surveillance state long before Edward Snowden clued Americans in to the extent of domestic spying. Since the Mao era, the government has kept a secret file, called a dang’an, on almost everyone. Dang’an contain school reports, health records, work permits, personality assessments, and other information that might be considered confidential and private in other countries. The contents of the dang’an can determine whether a citizen is eligible for a promotion or can secure a coveted urban residency permit. The government revealed last year that it was also building a nationwide database that would score citizens on their trustworthiness.
    New antiterror laws that went into effect on Jan. 1 allow authorities to gain access to bank accounts, telecommunications, and a national network of surveillance cameras called Skynet. Companies including Baidu, China’s leading search engine; Tencent, operator of the popular social messaging app WeChat; and Sina, which controls the Weibo microblogging site, already cooperate with official requests for information, according to a report from the U.S. Congressional Research Service. A Baidu spokesman says the company wasn’t involved in the new antiterror initiative. Tencent and Sina’s Weibo didn’t respond to requests for comment.
    China Electronics Technology, which got the antiterrorism job in October 2014, had operating revenue of 164 billion yuan ($25 billion) in 2015. Apart from supplying the Chinese military with radar and electronic warfare systems, the company has played a leading role in the country’s ambitious space program.
    Much of the project is shrouded in secrecy. The Ministry of State Security, which oversees counterintelligence and political security, doesn’t even have its own website, let alone answer phone calls. Only Wu, the engineer at China Electronics Technology, would speak on the record. He hinted at the scope of the data collection effort when he said the software would be able to draw portraits of suspects by cross-referencing information from bank accounts, jobs, hobbies, consumption patterns, and footage from surveillance cameras.
    The program would flag unusual behavior, such as a resident of a poor village who suddenly has a lot of money in her bank account or someone with no overseas relatives who makes frequent calls to foreigners. According to Wu, these could be indicators that a person is a terrorist. “We don’t call it a big data platform,” he said, “but a united information environment.” In China, once a suspect is targeted, police can freeze bank accounts and compel companies to hand over records of his communications.
    Another China Electronics Technology executive, who requested anonymity because he isn’t authorized to speak publicly, says the antiterrorism software would first be tested in territories where Chinese authorities are struggling to stamp out sometimes violent opposition to Communist rule by ethnic minorities. He says the pilot had a better chance of success than a nationwide program, because it’s focused on the 22 million residents of the sparsely populated Xinjiang territory in China’s northwest and the 3 million in mountainous Tibet.
    Brookings’s Pillar is skeptical. “No system of surveillance and exploitation of intelligence can stop everything,” he says. But Tsui, the Hong Kong professor, says if anyone has a chance of coming up with a workable high-tech Big Brother, it’s the Chinese. The lack of privacy protections means that China’s data sniffers are more practiced than those in the West. “The people who are good at this are good because they have access to a lot of data,” he says. “They can experiment with all kinds of stuff.”

The bottom line: A top Chinese military contractor is building a data analytics platform to help authorities identify terrorists before they strike.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart