Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baaghi

Baaghi

After Brothers: Blood Against Blood was so bad, I'm tentative. But this looks better. And Baahubali was pretty entertaining...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Tiger gonna enlighten us Kung Fu lovers

Baaghi: Tiger Shroff enlightens Kung Fu lovers
    thestatesman.com | New Delhi | 11 April, 2016

Tiger Shroff and Master Shifu

High octane action, flying kicks and intense emotions, Baaghi has it all and Tiger Shroff, the rebel has given life to the power packed scenes.
    Set to show breathtaking Kung Fu moves, what’s more interesting is that Tiger was trained under the supervision of Master Shifuji, world’s best commando trainer, who also plays his mentor in the film.
    The actor recently made a revelation when he revealed that Kung Fu originated in India!
    “Kung Fu is the most ancient of all martial arts — the art of fighting without weapons,” Tiger said, calling it ”the art of fighting without fighting”.
    Sharing more about the origin of the martial art form, the actor said, “There are conflicting opinions on the fact that it actually originated from the teachings of an Indian Buddhist monk, Bodhidarma, who arrived in China from India in the 6th century.”
    “One thing is for certain that he brought a form of martial arts with him, kalaripayattu, and transformed the newly formed Shaolin temple. The Buddhist monks settled there and dedicated themselves to Kung Fu turning themselves into warrior elite. That’s how it spread among the Chinese and then, the rest of the world,” he added.
    The maestro, Bodhidharma is referred to as the 'Father of Kung Fu' in the several temples of Shaolin in China.
    Known for its diverse cultures and traditions, India has also given one of the most important art forms.
    The actor’s passion of various martial art forms made him go through a detailed study on Kung Fu and that’s how he traced its roots back to India.
    Kung Fu experts across the country are in awe of Tiger for taking special interest in the martial art form and creating awareness about it.
    “Kung Fu masters from across India have been reaching out to the team and are applauding Tiger. They believe that Tiger's words will help create awareness about the origin of Kung Fu and help promote the form of martial arts," Sabbir Khan, the director of the film further disclosed.
    Sajid Nadiadwala's Baaghi is a love story which show how two lovers go against all odds for each other. Also starring Shraddha Kapoor, the film is set to woo movie buffs on April 29.
    Master Shifuji is Bollywood term of the day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Publicity comment based on poor research

Bollywood plays the Bodhidharma card.

Jackie Chan is curious about Tiger Shroff claims of Kung Fu originating in India
    FP Staff Apr 12, 2016 15:17 IST

Any one who has grown up on a diet of watching Jackie Chan movies doesn’t dither to accept it as China’s indigenous art form.
    However, in a recent interview Tiger Shroff, who has honed the skill for his next film Baaghi, claimed it to be an Indian art form that gained popularity through China. This raised eyebrows and apparently didn’t go down very well with the poster boy of martial art films, Jackie Chan.

Poster of 'Baaghi'

In an earlier interview Tiger had said, “There are conflicting opinions on whether it actually originated from the teachings of an Indian Buddhist monk, Bodhidharma, who arrived in China from India in the 6th century or not. One thing is for certain and that is, he most definitely brought a form of martial arts with him, most likely Kalaripayattu, and transformed the newly formed Shaolin temple and the Buddhist monks settled there into dedicating themselves to Kung Fu and becoming a warrior elite whose fame spread throughout China and then all over the world.”
    Jackie Chan, who is in India shooting for his next Kung Fu Yoga in Jaipur, happened to read the above media report and was shocked to hear an Indian actor was making such claims.
    “This comment of his, on Kung Fu having its origins in India, has not only shocked the martial arts maestro Jackie Chan, but it has also made him extremely curious about the subject, since Kung Fu has been an extremely important part of his career,” reveals an industry insider, on condition of anonimity.
    “He wants to meet Tiger and know the basis of his comment. He also asked people from the crew and his near dear ones to do some research on it as he wants to find out the correct fact,” said the source.
    Produced by Sajid Nadiadwal, Baaghi is a rebellious Love story, which will feature Shraddha and Tiger going against all odds for love.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bollywood = controversy sells

There are several items related to this in the news feeds today. Indian tabloids have taken a page from U.K. tabloids with their sensationalism and mediocre research. The Bodhidharma myth was debunked years ago and we've already discussed it here extensively.

Here's why people of China are miffed with Tiger Shroff!

Tiger Shroff trains in martial arts for his next film Baaghi

DNA WEB TEAM | Wed, 13 Apr 2016-08:30pm
    Tiger Shroff recently stated that Kung Fu originated in India and not China, and that has sparked a national debate in the neighbouring country right away...

Tiger Shroff’s recent revelation of the fact on how Kung Fu was originated in India has caused people of China to react in a strong manner! Shortly after Tiger’s statement was learnt by the Chinese people, they have started writing to the makers of Baaghi, director Sabbir Khan on their respective social media platforms raising several questions against the actor’s statement.

This particular incident seems to have created an entire debate on the fact, Kung Fu one of the most popular form of martial arts was in fact originated in India! Recorded history also states that Kung Fu, as an art was originated from the teachings of an Indian Buddhist monk, Bodhidharma, who arrived in China from India in the 6th century!

The actor also mentioned that he strongly feels that Bodhidharma most definitely brought a form of martial arts with him, most likely Kalaripayattu, and transformed the newly formed Shaolin temple and the Buddhist monks settled there into dedicating themselves to Kung Fu and becoming a warrior elite whose fame spread throughout China and then all over the world.

Director Sabbir Khan further added, "We have received several questions on this matter, its but natural for this entire debate to arise as from centuries Kung Fu has been established as a form of martial arts which was born in China"

Paralley, other consultations on this fact have been stating that how the Chinese people have sort of abducted the art form and since then and have been introducing the skill as theirs! Tiger Shroff who is known to be an exceptional marital artist himself has stunned everyone with his potentials that were shown in the trailer of Sajid Nadiadwala's upcoming release.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More martial Baaghi buzz

Shraddha roots for girl power
    Mohar Basu | TNN | Apr 17, 2016, 01.00 AM IST

Shraddha Kapoor
    One look at Shraddha Kapoor's slender figure and you wouldn't believe that she is cut out for action. But the actress is set to dispel that notion in her forthcoming film, 'Baaghi' in which she has some high-intensity action sequences. The light-eyed star, who trained in martial arts for the movie, says, "I had very little time to prep, but it was an experience of a lifetime to explore something new and get an adrenaline rush. I believe that women need to learn martial arts. They should master the art of self-defense. You never know when in life you have to protect yourself," she says. Girls, learn to kick butt like Shraddha.
    Okay now, what is up with this crossed arm palm guard position? Is that some sort of Power Rangers pose or something?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Okay now, what is up with this crossed arm palm guard position? Is that some sort of Power Rangers pose or something?

Speed Racer did it. And there were no complaints.

mickey

Jackie Chan Sir!

Has Jackie even noticed this and bothered to respond? I've yet to hear something actually from Jackie on this, just Tiger trying to milk this for some publicity.

I hope Jackie Chan Sir doesnt beat me up – Tiger Shroff
    — By BollywoodHungama | Apr 21, 2016 12:46 pm

For now, Jackie Chan and Disha Patani are the constants in Tiger Shroff’s life. Apparently, Jackie (which also happens to be Tiger’s father’s name) is ****ed off with Tiger for claiming that martial arts originated in India.

“But, it’s true!” protests Tiger, refusing to relent to pacify Chinese/Middle-Eastern sections who have always claimed the martial arts to be theirs. “I was just stating facts, that’s all. I hope Jackie Chan Sir doesn’t beat me up.”

However, Tiger, tongue-firmly-in-cheek, is sure he can escape Jackie Chan’s wrath. “It’s ok. I am aware of my capabilities. I know I am the fastest runner on the other side of Milkha Singh. So if I am chased down, I can protect myself.”

Besides, claims Tiger, he has his co-star in Baaghi to protect him from peril. “Shraddha Kapoor is my one-woman army. She’s my hero. She protects me from all danger.”

And where does that leave Tiger’s alleged relationship with model-actress Disha Patani? He sighs, “Ek hi Disha hai mere liye. Work work and more work.”

He then adds regretfully, “Patani ko pataana mushqil he nahin naamumkin hai (to win over Patani is not only difficult it’s impossible). She is way above my league.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Tiger...

I watched Heropanti. It's available on Netflix. I'll post a review of it here soon.

On the rise: BAAGHI Tiger Shroff on 'kicks' of HEROPANTI, Bruce Lee and more
    April 26, 2016 3:08:26 PM IST
    By Vishal Verma, Glamsham Editorial

A fifth degree black belt in Taekwondo, Bollywood's next martial arts star, the man who helped Aamir Khan build his physique for DHOOM 3 and of course, the tough contender for the best dancer in B-town - Tiger Shroff is no longer the new kid on the block. Son of famous Bollywood actor Jackie Shroff became a wonder with his debut in HEROPANTI gathering all the eyeballs for his exceptional dancing skills and martial arts techniques.

His highly awaited BAAGHI produced by his mentor Sajid Nadiadwala and favorite director Sabbir Khan promises to put him in a new different league co –starring Shraddha Kapoor. Eagerly awaiting the audience reaction this Friday for the film which introduces India's unique and ancient martial art form Kalaripayattu, Tiger sits and shares his aspirations, inspiration and what makes him different from the Kapoors, Khan's and sons of Bollywood.

BAAGHI WALLPAPERS

What was the biggest motivation for you to do BAAGHI, working again with Sabbir Khan, an action thriller?
    I am very lucky to get whatever I ever wanted. Got the chance to work with my mentor Sajid Nadiadwala again, in his film with my favorite director Sabbir Khan, having a script that allows me to showcase my talent and my strength to the fullest.

With just one film HEROPANTI, you became a sort of a rage, making everybody turn their heads and notice, especially the kids. What you think has contributed, pushed you into becoming a star and become so popular amongst kids?
    Blessed to start my career with something like HEROPANTI and all thanks to Sajid Sir again. The album of HEROPANTI became a hit and I have tried to put in some dancing in every song. My introduction in the film was on a lighter tone in spite of all the full blown action. Something like Jackie Chan used to do. Maybe the fun element in my introduction, my dancing and flying in the air skills made the kids getting fascinated towards me and I am glad I was able to entertain them in HEROPANTI and hopefully will try to repeat that in a better way in BAAGHI.
    ''When I was four years old, I saw a movie called ENTER THE DRAGON starring Bruce Lee and instantly I started dreaming to become like him one day''
    Your inspiration behind those flying kicks and interest in martial arts?
    When I was four years old, I saw a movie called ENTER THE DRAGON starring Bruce Lee and instantly I started dreaming to become like him one day. The image got registered on my mind and I started working on how to get closer and closer to that image and the strive is still on..

And Bruce Lee was a great dancer as well
    (very excited) Oh yeah!!.. he use to do chacha chacha.. you also seem to be a big fan.. Undoubtedly, Bruce Lee is the introduction to martial arts to millions of Indians since decades and I am just one of them who is highly inspired by the great legend.

So what improvement from HEROPANTI will the audience see in Tiger in BAAGHI and how more close will the film bring you to your icon's set image in your mind?
    You will see a more aware Tiger in BAAGHI. Now I have learnt the art a bit on the performance aspect as well. Also learnt a bit on action, it's not easy to kick, fly in the air and maintain the same expression, I am more understanding of my director now. Sabbir sir doesn't have to spoon feed me that much now. We have developed a special sign language amongst ourselves. Just an eye contact, a gesture explains whether my director is happy or not. The HEROPANTI journey has been quite educational and without patting my back, I can simply say that I am little more aware as an actor now.

Being good at martial arts, how easy was the process of learning Kalaripayattu - the unique Indian martial arts that is introduced in BAAGHI
    Kalaripayattu was in no way easy. It's an alien art for me and luckily I have being trained in the basics by Guruji who is also in the film. Yes whatever I knew about martial arts helped me in learning, understanding and channelizing the art to the best of my capacity. It was tough but inspiring.

BAAGHI WALLPAPERS

Coming from a Bollywood family and son of a known actor like Jackie Shroff, how much your family contributes/suggests/gives inputs to your decisions and actions regarding your career?
    Believe me, my family has given me all the independence regarding my career. They have complete trust on Sajid sir and Sabbir sir.

'I am not saying I am better than anybody, I am saying I am just different'
    So no inputs from your father the famous on screen ‘Jackie dada'.. anyways, do you get referred as ‘bidu' by Jackie as he does to all including the media
    Yes yes. ‘bidu' is inseparable from him. keeps on coming.

Jackie has great command over English but somehow he prefers that ‘bidu' Mumbai type ‘tapori' accent both personally and in public.. what is the reason?
    My father was born and brought up in a ‘chawl', this is the way he feels comfortable in communicating. This is the language he has spoken during his younger days as the local goon/mawali types before entering the movie industry. He has never tried to hide that and he is what he is and that's the reason people love him and connect with him.

Does your brilliant ability to kick and fly in the air powered by super dancing skills makes you believe that you have something different from your contemporaries giving you an edge over the competition, increasing your ability to connect more with the audience
    I can't say about the edge but definitely, the qualities I have are a bit different. The competition is stiff and people come with lot of preparations nowadays.. I am lucky to be working in films like BAAGHI and HEROPANTI that gives me a chance to showcase my talent properly helping me in maintaining the difference, giving me a chance to stand out from others. I am not saying I am better than anybody, I am saying I am just different.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Heropanti

No I don't know why this film is titled so. I don't know what that means in Hindi. It's Bollywood, about as Bollywood as you can get. A major hit in India in 2014, won lots of Indian film awards.

I watched it to see Tiger Schroff, mainly because of this thread and Baaghi. He's pretty, too pretty, like a young JCVD but Indian and dreamier. He plays Bablu opposite Kriti Sanon, who plays Dimpy. Bablu and Dimpy. Yea, I had a hard time getting past those names too. It's full of Bollywood rom-com hijinks, and even an almost EDM dance number. Very colorful and predictable, assuming you know Bollywood.

But the fight scenes, well, Tiger is very acrobatic. He can throw a lovely slo-mo flying kick. The choreography is silly, one-shot: one-move, way too much gratuitous slo-mo. Tiger strips off his shirt at any any excuse - heck if I had that build, I would too. He does a nice Jackie-Chan level stunt - a parkourish leap from one building to the next - shot from many angles so you know it's real and it's him. I think he has great potential - he just needs a better choreographer and cinematographer.

I'm not recommending this film. We'll see how Tiger does with Baaghi.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A review

...and kind of a funny one at that.

Updated: April 29, 2016 18:28 IST
    Baaghi: Tiger burning not so bright
    NAMRATA JOSHI

A poster of 'Baaghi'. Photo Courtesy: Twitter/@baaghiofficial

The young star finds it difficult to shoulder the entire protracted, exhausting film on his own.

Tiger Shroff makes his entry into Baaghi doing a finger stand-upside down, balancing his whole body weight on the forefinger and the thumb. The young star does pull it off splendidly but finds it difficult to shoulder the entire protracted, exhausting film on his own.

Two years down the line from Heropanti, Tiger still remains a cub when it comes to acting. For half of the film, he sports an impassive face. For the other half, he emotes with over-the-top affectations — sighs, pouts, dreamy look, wet eyes. The only time he roars is when he is sporting a shirtless, overmuscled, overbronzed, plastic body or when he is dancing and performing stunts. Yes, he is agile and athletic in his moves, breaks bones, teeth and jaws with alarming regularity and sets the blood oozing with great finesse. Tiger has the requisite rhythm and flexibility to be an ideal showcase for some graceful, aesthetic stunts but has to be content here with action that is nothing more than boring masala mayhem.

The film hangs on a plot thinner than a strand of hair: Wild, untamed boy Ronny (Tiger) is sent by his father to a Kalaripayattu guru to get trained in martial arts. Before you can say “another Karate Kid?” there’s also a Tezaab inspiration lurking in the background. On the way to the Kalari school, on the train, Ronny meets a girl Siya (Shraddha Kapoor) who he falls instantly in love with while she is singing and dancing in the rain. Unknown to the two, the villain Raaghav (Sudheer Babu) also falls for her. What’s more, Raaghav happens to be the kalari guru’s son who threatens him with lines like: “Is Ramayana mein Ram marega (Ram will be killed in this Ramayana)”.

Genre: Romance/Drama
    Director: Sabbir Khan
    Cast: Tiger Shroff, Shraddha Kapoor, Sudheer Babu
    Run time: 2 hours 30 minutes
    The girl remains just a bone of contention between the two, never quite standing apart and being her own person, just giggling, dancing, playing with the raindrops and being silly.

Some action sequences are crackling but not awe-inspiring, enthralling or magical enough. The finale hand-to-hand combat turns funny in the way it gets seriously scientific. And there’s lots in between that is nothing more than just randomly strung together scenes. Like playing on the typical stereotypes of the South — dark, talking in thick accented Hindi, rolling up the mundu. To balance things out, you have a rough, rustic and loud Punjabi father (TV star Sunil Grover) too, who wants to turn his daughter into a South-Indian star. Then in the middle there is this touristy, picture postcard evocation of Kerala and its boat racing. There are filler characters on the side, Biswapati Sarkar, the popular TVF Arnab impersonator, turns hero’s buddy for a while and then just disappears from the screen for good without an explanation. Sanjay Mishra and Sumit Gulati, the cabbies in Thailand, are shoved in for a comic chase on the Bangkok streets to parallel the long, thrilling one that Ronny is on. The two are nothing more than irritating, only to take a beating from an even more irritating character, a mute child who keeps saying ya-ya.

In these days of nationalistic frenzy, Sabbir Khan throws in a token dialogue on how the Shaolin School of Martial Arts borrowed from the Indian martial art forms. One of Raaghav’s long-haired henchmen in Bangkok runs down the Indian hero by asserting that it’s the Chinese who really fight well (even while I kept assuming that the fellow was Thai), only to have the hero knock him off in one stroke and saying: “China ka maal zyada tikta nahin hai (Chinese goods don’t last for long).”

Wish the film didn’t last long either. It seemed to just go on and on.

P.S. A question that’s still playing in my head: Dear Tiger, who wears jeans for deep sea diving?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Baaghi 2

Tiger to amp up the action in 'Baaghi 2' with Hollywood’s Tony Ching
    TNN | Dec 19, 2016, 01.00 AM IST

Tiger Shroff in 'Baaghi'
    Tiger Shroff is synonymous with action films, ever since his debut in Bollywood. So, it's not surprising that his fans expect another package of kicks and punches in 2017, as he gears up for Ahmed Khan's 'Baaghi 2'.
    The film, a sequel to 'Baaghi', will see Tiger playing an army man. And to make sure that they take the stunts to the next level this time around, the makers have roped in internationally acclaimed action director, Tony Ching.
    Known for his high-octane innovative thrills in films like 'Shaolin Soccer' and 'Hero', Tony will train Tiger next month. Tiger shares, "'Baaghi 2' is extremely close to my heart, especially because Sajid (Nadiadwala) sir is a great mentor. He has given me two successful films —'Heropanti' and 'Baaghi'. Ahmed sir is also like family. The three of us meet very often and brainstorm on how we can take the film to the next level."
    Tony Ching (aka Ching Siu-tung) isn't a Hollywood director. He was a top Fant-ASIA director in the golden era of the 90s, and has recently moved to Bollywood with Krrish 3.

I still haven't seen Baaghi.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A month later...

...this is trending again in the Indian tabloids. Not sure why, but it reminds me that I'm way behind on my Bollywood...

Tiger Shroff to be Trained by Shaolin Soccer's Action-Director for Baaghi 2
    IANS
    First published: January 20, 2017, 7:50 AM IST | Updated: 3 days ago

A file photo of Tiger Shroff.

Mumbai: Actor Tiger Shroff will soon begin his training for the upcoming film Baaghi 2 under action director Tony Ching, known for movies like Shaolin Soccer, The Killer and Hero, in China.
    Sajid Nadiadwala's upcoming production Baaghi 2 will present Tiger as a soldier. And for his role, he will take help from the Hong Kong action choreographer.
    To discuss more about the film, Tiger, Nadiadwala and director Ahmed Khan met Ching here on Tuesday, read a statement.
    Ching will sketch the action sequences for Baaghi 2, a sequel to the 2016 hit film Baaghi.
    Nadiadwala said: "Tiger is an extremely dedicated and a disciplined boy. He wakes up early everyday and follows his fitness regime rigorously. For someone with such devotion and honesty to his craft, he deserves the best of best. Looking forward to this deadly combination."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries

You Know What Never Stops Being So Bad That It's Good?

Martial arts in Bollywood flix!

I have no idea what this is, but they tried updating their fight choreography, and also implement some of their country art Kalaripayattu in it, yet it still fails hilariously well!

https://youtu.be/WzcKZMrfPjk
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Baaghi

The Film is Baaghi.

Popular, good box office, low review ratings though - go figure,
    Ranks # 8 in box office profits for 2016.

Baaghi (English: Rebel) is a 2016 Indian martial arts film directed by Sabbir Khan and produced by Sajid Nadiadwala under his banner Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment. It features Tiger Shroff and Shraddha Kapoor in lead roles, with Sudheer Babu and Sunil Grover in supporting roles. Journalists noted similarities between the film and the 2011 Indonesian film The Raid: Redemption[3] and the 2004 Telugu-language Indian film Varsham.[4]

The film was released worldwide on 29 April 2016. Made on a budget of ₹40 crore (US$6.2 million), Baaghi has earned over ₹127 crore (US$20 million) worldwide. The film has grossed 100 crores from India.

Leads

Tiger Shroff as Ronny Singh
    Shraddha Kapoor as Sia Khurana
    Sudheer Babu as Raghav Shetty
    The fight scene was Tiger versus Sudheer Babu .

Baaghi (Mirror Image Copy) They do love to sing and dance in Bollywood.
    "顺其自然"

merged

I merged this for you, yutyeesam. We've already been posting about this one. Or at least, I have.

Good to have you back.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips