Thread: Ten Road Tan Tui, Cha Chuan 1 thru 10

Ten Road Tan Tui, Cha Chuan 1 thru 10

Greetings,

I think there was a real sense of urgency in recording this branch (I do not know which) of Cha Chuan before these guys started to die with the knowledge. The performers seemed o be aware of this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9x1hSPhsY

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I think there was a real sense of urgency in recording this branch (I do not know which) of Cha Chuan before these guys started to die with the knowledge. The performers seemed o be aware of this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g9x1hSPhsY

mickey
    I have a complete manual of all Cha Chuan. It was widely available throughout China and was printed up until 1935 reprinted in '53 and there are still copies available.
    I don't think it's dying out.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings David Jamieson,

Thank you for sharing that with me. Then they may be referring to particular lineages of Cha Chuan.

Since you mention that the book was published in 1935, who are the authors and which branch of Cha Chuan was it. Was Wang Ziping involved in the book's creation?

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings David Jamieson,

Thank you for sharing that with me. Then they may be referring to particular lineages of Cha Chuan.

Since you mention that the book was published in 1935, who are the authors and which branch of Cha Chuan was it. Was Wang Ziping involved in the book's creation?

mickey
    good questions.
    I'll have to check when I get home. It's in Chinese, so I'll ask my training partner.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I remember once reading something Adam Hsu wrote that even many Cha Chuan (Chaquan/Zhaquan) masters never learned all 10 sets, yet that hadn't prevented them from becoming masters. I think he even stated that not having learned all the sets may have helped them, because they didn't have to practice 'too many' forms. Meaning they got even better at the ones they did know. Also because not having all the sets did not negatively affect their understanding of the art.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-21-2016 at 01:57 PM.

I am not sure about the book....but as for the original video of Tan Tui, the version of Shr Lu Tan Tui taught by Wang Ziping was slightly different. The exact version can be found in the book "Wang Ziping and Wushu" or some of the ones that they did chopping that book up in recent years. It was originally meant to be a 2 volume book penned by Grandmaster Wang's daughter and son-in-law, Madam Wang Jurong and Dr. Wu Chengde. They came to Houston after finishing the first volume and never got back to completing volume 2.

Volume 1 had much of Wang Zipings biography and then his Tan Tui, Er Shr Fa (20 Fist Method), his version of Da Hong Quan, San Lu Pao Quan, Qing Long Jian, and Su Men Dao. Volume 2 was to have had one of the Cha Quan routines. a Hua Quan set, a staff, and then Sa Ko Chang (throat killing spear) set and maybe some other things. Madam Wang passed away in 2005 and Dr. Wu, though still alive, is not interested in re-visiting old memories.