Thread: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Hybrid View

Kingsman 2

Maybe if this thread gets more posts, I'll split the sequel into its own thread. Am I the only one here who saw this? Srsly? It's worth it just for the Church fight.

FEBRUARY 17, 2016 8:50am PT by Borys Kit
    Julianne Moore Circling Villain Role for 'Kingsman 2' (Exclusive)
    Taron Egerton ("Eddie the Eagle") is starring in the sequel to Fox's surprise hit.

Julianne Moore Getty Images

Taron Egerton ("Eddie the Eagle") is starring in the sequel to Fox's surprise hit.
    Julianne Moore is in talks to play the villain in The Kingsman 2, the sequel to the Fox surprise hit that starred Colin Firth and Taron Egerton.

Matthew Vaughn is back in the director’s chair for the continuing adventures of a wayward tough (Egerton) from the wrong side of London who is taken in by a suave and sophisticated agent (Firth) and, a la Pygmalion, is turned into the best and brightest of operatives.

Egerton is back with the action said to move from London to the States.

Firth is not due to come back at this stage (his character died in the first movie and there was initial talk of finding ways to return the actor to the roll call, whether via flashback or even a twin brother, but those ideas were discarded, according to sources).

Details for Moore’s character were not revealed but it is understood that she will be the piece’s bad guy, if a deal makes. The Oscar-winning actress is juggling several projects, including Todd Haynes’ adaptation of kids book Wonderstruck, and scheduling conflicts could be one obstacle.

The movie is heading toward a May start for what will be a summer shoot.

Moore, who won an Oscar last year for Still Alice, last appeared The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 as the scheming President Coin.

She is repped by CAA.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Time for an indie thread for this.

Here's the first film thread: Kingsman-The-Secret-Service.

Concept Art, Story Details, And Title Revealed For KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE Sequel
    Matthew Vaughn talks about returning for the Kingsman sequel, revealing the title, plot details (including info on the American Statesman and Julianne Moore's villain) and some awesome concept art.

Empire Magazine reveals that the Kingsman sequel will be titled Kingsman: The Golden Circle, and with that comes the first official concept art from the movie. Below, we see destroyed Kingsman HQ, the Statesman HQ (which is the American version of the spy organisation), and Poppyland, the secret lair of lead villain Poppy (played by Julianne Moore). It's after that attack that Eggsy and Merlin head to the US, an organisation led by a "swaggering, sharpshooting cowboy" called Jack and Halle Berry's Ginger.

Asked about his plans for The Golden Circle, director Matthew Vaughn said: "I didn't know if I wanted to direct this or not. I was worried about the villain. Spy films are only as good as their villains. Then one morning I woke up with the whole storyline in place, and a new villain plot." As for whether he intends to try and recreate that awesome church sequence from The Secret Service, he added, "You try not to read what people want, but they do want another church sequence. I have no reason for another massacre to happen. But I have other sequences you've never seen before." That will apparently include a skiing sequence, a barroom brawl, robot dogs, one-armed henchmen, and the heroes being attacked by what Vaughn calls, "a massive f***ing frankfurter." Awesome...

From our review last Friday: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE PLUS BREAKFAST WITH WONDER WOMAN
    Grispo is a practitioner of Taekwondo, Aikido, Sambo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsuand traditional Japanese sword among other styles. He was the choreographer behind the surprisingly good single-shot church fight scene in Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014). It was CGI-enhanced, but a masterful example of cutting-edge cinematic fight choreography. With Batman in armor, most of the Batman versus Superman fight is CGI-driven, but Grispo and Watson deliver another spectacular single-shot CGI-enhanced scene for Batman's first big fight against some baddies. “Pow!” “Sock!” and “Ooof!” are taken to a whole new level.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1st trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Best marketing campaign ever!

I hope they will be providing samples as part of their press packets.

THE ELITE BOURBON FROM THE 'KINGSMAN' SEQUEL IS COMING TO LIFE
    7:00 AM PDT 5/1/2017 by Sam Reed

Courtesy of Old Forester

Statesman bourbon delivers a kick.
    The Kingsman film franchise is a gift that keeps on giving.

We're not just talking about delivering on laughs and epic explosions, but products, too. In addition to the clothing line in collaboration with Mr. Porter and costume designer Arianne Phillips,The Kingsman: The Golden Circle, out Sept. 22, is also bringing with it a new, premium liquor.

After director Matthew Vaughn settled on the idea of having a bourbon business as the front for the sequel's new stateside Statesman spies (led by Agent Champagne, played by Jeff Bridges), it didn't take long for him to get in touch with the folks at Old Forester, a Kentucky-based brand which has been churning out "America's first bottled bourbon" since the 1870s.

"[Vaughn] was very purposeful in creating the equivalent of the British tailor shop as an homage to tradition for the second world, the Statesman world," said Campbell Brown, president of Brown-Forman, which produces Old Forester. "He wanted a similar American type of backdrop for these spies to operate under and he landed on distilleries and bourbon." He went on to describe a serendipitous conversation between his brother and Vaugn that took place across the pond, where he informed Vaugn of the rich family business which has been going strong for five generations.

"That’s exactly the kind of thing he was looking for," said Brown.

Courtesy of Old Forester

From there, the Old Forester team assisted the Kingsman crew in re-creating an authentic set with all the proper vintage elements. "We provided his production team with some of the story elements, we showed them our Pre-Prohibition bottles, aging warehouses and barrels. Initially it was only a technical assistance," noted Brown. "But then we got excited about the whole idea. Part of this film shows the Statesman brand, so we decided to create the actual Statesman Bourbon."

When asked if the whiskey bourbon was simply a current recipe repackaged with a fancy "Statesman" label, as some companies in the movie-marketing sphere are wont to do, Brown guffawed at the idea.

"Of course we wouldn't do that," he said, before launching into a detailed description of the brewing process for the Statesman batch, which is smaller in volume, "with fewer barrels, which we selected from the warmest warehouses, and the locations from within the warehouses that get the most heat." He said of the brew, "It's got quite a bit of character."

And unlike the traditional Old Forester, which is 86 proof, the Statesman batch is 95 proof. "We wanted something really rich, like the characters," he said. "Statesman has a depth that you wouldn’t get on the 86 proof. It has a more robust flavor and feel to it."

The Statesman bourbon ($55) will be available in limited quantities ahead of this weekend's Kentucky Derby, and will be released wide to coincide with the film's September release.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kingsman: The Golden Circle | Official Trailer 2 [HD] | 20th Century FOX

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pop up shop

Too bad it's in London. I wouldn't be into a Statesman shop. But still, I'd be down with one of the shops connected to the Continental.

MATTHEW VAUGHN OPENS FIRST 'KINGSMAN' SHOP IN LONDON
    4:26 AM PDT 9/8/2017 by Alex Ritman

Credit: Mr Porter
    Matthew Vaughn and Claudia Schiffer, wearing Eggsy's orange tuxedo jacket.

From socks to bourbon to smartphones, the new pop-up store in the upscale St. James' neighborhood sells everything for the budding Kingsman, with many of the products appearing in the upcoming sequel.
    Anyone who likes the look of the jackets, shoes, watches, whisky, socks or even dog leads in the upcoming Kingsman sequel now has somewhere to inspect (and buy) them first hand.

Just a week before the world premiere of Kingsman: The Golden Circle in London, director Matthew Vaughn on Thursday night cut the ribbon on the film’s first official shop, with his wife Claudia Schiffer and the film’s star Mark Strong offering their sartorial support.

A collaboration between online men’s fashion outlet Mr Porter, Vaughn’s Marv label and 20th Century Fox, the Kingsman shop – housed in the heart of the upmarket St. James’ neighborhood (and next to the famed 300-year-old wine merchant Berry Bros. & Rudd) – opens it doors to the public Friday, and is set to stay open for around two months.

The fashion lines – which includes “costume to collection” pieces such as suits, blazers (like the orange tuxedo jacket worn by Taron Egerton’s Eggsy in the trailer) and shearling coats (Colin Firth sports one in the teaser) – is actually the 8th collection between Kingsman and Mr Porter, which began with the first film. But this time the offerings have been broadened to include accessories such as pens, a perfume, glass decanters and headphones.

“We’ve kept going, kept selling,” Vaughn told THR at the event. “Each collection has sold more and more and more. It’s become a brand in its own right.”

Prices range from £20 ($26.30) for a pair of socks, into the thousands (the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45 Kingsman Special Edition watch comes with a $4,000-plus price tag). Among the most popular items already has been the Statesman bourbon whisky (named after the Kingsmen’s crime-fighting American cousins) from Old Forrester.

“We sold 5,000 cases in the first day. Which is great, and bad, because we’ve run out,” said Vaughn. “It’s all gone. And I don’t have any.”

The filmmaker said that he actually approached the various companies himself after writing the script and finding items that he thinks fit “organically” with the movie.

“My godfather founded the Hard Rock Cafes, and I watched how he did the branding and merchandising and learned so much from him,” he said. “And I’ve admired what Disney have done for merchandising, but it’s always been relatively cheap. So I thought, why not do the other thing and go extreme high end, go very expensive, great quality, and I wanted to pick British brands that couldn’t normally get this much attention.”

Vaughn says he has “frustrated” distributor Fox a few times by not going down a more James Bond-style approach to product placement.

“No offense to Bond, we had some big offers to get into this, but I wouldn’t, for example, put in Heineken. X car wanted to be in it, but it didn’t fit. It cannot look like product placement, and if it does I’m buggered,” he said.

With many film-related merchandising leaning to the more tacky side of retail, Vaughn said he was initially surprised at the popularity of his Kingsman lines.

“But I was relieved. Did I think we could sell 300 watches at $25,000 a watch? I wasn’t sure, to put it mildly. But we did,” he said. “And like everything in life, I wasn’t doing it to make money, but it’s now making money.”

The next expansion, like much of Hollywood’s focus, could be to the East.

“Maybe with the third film we’ll do more shops. And I think for the next shop, if we did one, would be China. They really want it,” he said. “But I don’t want to get too much into the retails… I don’t really know this business, I’m learning.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips