Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best commercial

The best commercial

I'm sure everyone's seen this, but maybe not the full version.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JfFLHKH82...mountain%20dew
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

easily the best mountain dew/kung fu commercial. I expected them to work beer in there some how but was glad to see it wasn't

And dude, you have no chance at stopping one of my balrogs

Morgoth
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Hee hee, not seen that (being in England) ,but funny. We used to have Mountain Dew here. I used to drink it, ooh about 10 years ago when I was at art college. I used to get a can at lunch time, but by about 2pm I was falling asleep (usually in life drawing!). My tutor was getting concerned so my Mum made me go to the doctors. Turns out I was completely allergic to the bright green colour of the drink, I think it was banned over here as cant get it anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin
    Hee hee, not seen that (being in England) ,but funny. We used to have Mountain Dew here. I used to drink it, ooh about 10 years ago when I was at art college. I used to get a can at lunch time, but by about 2pm I was falling asleep (usually in life drawing!). My tutor was getting concerned so my Mum made me go to the doctors. Turns out I was completely allergic to the bright green colour of the drink, I think it was banned over here as cant get it anymore!
    Somehow, I'm not suprised at all that someone could have an allergeric reaction to neon green, fizzy liquid.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

The Shaolin forum beats the media pop forum...

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

OT: do the dew

Kung Fu is good for you.

Talking

LOL. Thats a pretty funny commercial. Don't be decieved though..That hand training isn't about Mountain Dew..Its Iron Backhand Qigong!

On a sidenote, I'm seeing more and more of this sort of thing around lately. Is Shaolin is becoming "in" or is it just me?

Thumbs up

Coolness
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia
    LOL. Thats a pretty funny commercial. Don't be decieved though..That hand training isn't about Mountain Dew..Its Iron Backhand Qigong!

On a sidenote, I'm seeing more and more of this sort of thing around lately. Is Shaolin is becoming "in" or is it just me?

As far as I'm concerned, shaolin has always been "in".
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    As far as I'm concerned, shaolin has always been "in".
    Oh its always been "in" to us Kung Fu folk! But in the past you were lucky to find one of the "normies" that even heard of it.

Shaolin is getting alot of mainstream exposure today. All the wushu monk tours, American Shaolin monks such as Shi Yan Ming, commercials, documenteries, and what seems to have been a second Kung Fu movie explosion, have made Shaolin more mainstream.

Yeah the *******ization of traditional culture is so cool. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    Yeah the *******ization of traditional culture is so cool. LOL
    no what's cool is excluding it and not exposing it at a mainstream level and attempting to maintain it within a dark ages type scenario.

one word : "yoga"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

no what's cool is excluding it and not exposing it at a mainstream level and attempting to maintain it within a dark ages type scenario.

one word : "yoga"
    Actually Hatha yoga is practiced in the U.S. by millions of people.

It would seem like an ad like this would only expose people to a crass commercialization of a former religious and martial study and in doing so, make it seem like a joke and a practice done for entertainment and sport.

(Basically the current state of most martial arts these days).

So I guess I'm not understanding your point here.

Have you been to a yoga class lately? lol

one of the most crass and commercially raped forms of exercise and esoteric practice ever!

anyway, my point is, there's nothing wrong with bringing it mainstream in this manner.

yoga has more 3 week certified yutz instructors than any other eastern health or martial practice i can think of. It got brought into the mainstream in similar fashion.

However, amongst all that dross, there is some excellent yoga instruction available regardless of the new age crapfest a lot of it has become.

same can be said for this.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Have you been to a yoga class lately? lol

one of the most crass and commercially raped forms of exercise and esoteric practice ever!

anyway, my point is, there's nothing wrong with bringing it mainstream in this manner.

yoga has more 3 week certified yutz instructors than any other eastern health or martial practice i can think of. It got brought into the mainstream in similar fashion.

However, amongst all that dross, there is some excellent yoga instruction available regardless of the new age crapfest a lot of it has become.

same can be said for this.
    I don't know. I don't talk about religion anymore, but while we're on the topic of destruction of things (I'm having the same discussion on a separate thread), my first yoga instructor used to read from Pantanjali, and I haven't found a single school since that does that.

Edit ... don't know if you'll get this or not ... a while back I was on an airporter and there were 2 people coming back from an intensive 'yoga training camp' and 'cleansing', and they REEKED to high heaven of garlic. They said they were eating a ton of the stuff.
    Last edited by neilhytholt; 07-26-2006 at 12:15 AM.