Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade Remake

Blade Remake

"by Wesley Crusher" srsly?

Wesley Snipes Out As Blade, Michael Jordan Next Daywalker Up!?
    April 7, 2016 6:33 pm by Wesley Crusher

A report said that Marvel Studios is preparing for the remake of the movie Blade. The studio has also announced that the official reboot of the movie will not be far from now. However, there are no words spilled from a director about it. It’s also reported that Marvel aspires to film the movie this summer. It’s still a big question mark to everyone if the said movie will be given an R-rating or PG13-rating though audiences are expecting a child-friendly rating.

Blade is a 1998 movie whose director is Stephen Norrington. It’s a story of a person who’s born to be a vampire and shield humans. It was a successful movie which made its name all over the world and gained positive feedback from the widespread of audiences.

Blade could be a big deal for the Marvel Cinematic World since it has wonderful characters, and it fits Netflix’s medium. This movie indeed merits a powerful reboot, awe-inspiring return to the silver screen (with screaming silver bullets, swords, and explosives). The report also said that there’s some confusion about the rating to be given to said movie. Fans will undoubtedly prefer it to be R-rated reboot, in league with the 90’s, early 00’s originals. Blade does have a caliginous character, comic book fans will want more of the “strong, pervasive vampire violence and gore, language, and sexuality” that littered the first films.

If you’re wondering who are the possible stars of the film, here is a list of actors reported to lead the film ‘Blade’:

Michael B Jordan– He has led the movie Fantastic Four in 2015 and played Adonis Johnson in the film Creed.
    Nate Parker- an actor, who came out from the movies Beyond the Lights, Red Tails, and many more.
    Elijah Kelley- who is included in the movie Lee Daniels’ The Butler.

The film is indeed a sought-after one. And everybody is just so excited to witness another masterpiece of Marvel Studios. Everybody expects another big hit.

We don't have a thread on the first film, but here are the other sequels:
    Donnie Yen in BLADE 2
    Blade Trinity
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The only Blade movie I liked was the very first one. The sequels became progressively worse.

It might be interesting to see a reboot. However, they definitely need to keep it an R rated film. This type of movie should never be 'family-friendly' or 'child-friendly'. I am aware that R rated movies don't do as well these days as they did in the past, but I really hope they don't water it down.

Comic book-wise, I only remembered the Blade character as one of the vampire hunters in the old Tomb of Dracula series, which I started reading back around 1973.

Greetings,

I thought Wesley Snipes had more involvement with the three movies that just starring in it.

The actor Ron Hall would be amazing as Blade. The guy really has what it takes.

I posted this clip of him before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6eCxB25uds

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 04-13-2016 at 08:39 AM.

I hope they have an amazing stunt team and cinematographer because I'm pretty certain none of those rumored actors have any martial arts experience.

Netflix rumor

Netflix: Blade, Moon Knight & Ghost Rider Series to be created on Netflix
    May 16, 2016

Netflix is one of the largest television series releasing platforms in the world. The platform has already taken over Marvel character series like 'Daredevil' and other hit series like 'Orange is the New Black.'

We revealed that Marvel's 'Agent Carter' series may be going to the platform after we also revealed that ABC had canceled the show. Now, we reveal that Netflix will be adding three more comic book characters to their line-up in the form of series.

Our sources have revealed that Blade, Ghost Rider, and Moon Knight are lined-up to join Netflix. It is believed that the series is currently on the table and Netflix are growing ever closer to approving and picking who they want to helm the projects or bring them to life.

Out of all the three characters, Blade was the only to be brought from film ( Played by Wesley Snipes) and later moved to television (Played by rapper Sticky Fingaz). It should be noted that the show itself, didn't last that long.

The three comic book characters will join the likes of Punisher, who is played by the Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal. Another comic book character, Ghost Rider, was brought to life with the help of actor Nicholas Cage, who portrayed Johnny Blaze's version of the Rider. The film series had fail apart with the last film titled 'Ghostrider: Spirit of Vengeance' after the success of its first exceptionally written and put together film simply known as 'Ghost Rider.' The second film itself was a product of horrible writing and bad CGI, though it was still entertaining and not even as close as bad as the 'Blade 3' film, in my opinion.

Nevertheless, nothing else has currently been revealed about the tv or new Netflix series. However, you can stay updated with us as more info is revealed.
    not confirmed. just a rumor...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Snipes wants a piece of the Black Panther & Blade remake action

Can you blame him? He was really the pioneer when it comes to black comic book heroes in cinema.

JANUARY 30, 2018 5:00am PT by Ryan Parker, Aaron Couch
    Wesley Snipes Reveals Untold Story Behind His 'Black Panther' Film

Rommel Demano/Getty Images (Snipes); Courtesy of Marvel Comics (Cover)
    The cover of 'Jungle Action featuring the Black Panther' No. 10 (July 1974, Marvel) and Wesley Snipes.

Getting the project off the ground was an uphill battle that included script re-writes, director uncertainty, storytelling clashes and CG technology that was inadequate to create the fictional nation of Wakanda.
    In the mid 1990s, while riding a wave of box-office hits that propelled him to superstardom, Wesley Snipes undertook a bold initiative: make a film about the Marvel Comics character Black Panther.

The African superhero is now a household name thanks to the juggernaut Marvel film franchise including him in 2016's Captain America: Civil War. Star Chadwick Boseman's work as T'Challa (Black Panther) quickly became a fan favorite, which helped launch the character's first self-titled feature film, opening Feb. 16.

Hype for the Ryan Coogler-directed movie, also starring Lupita Nyong'o and Michael B. Jordan, is at a boiling point. Pre-ticket sales broke a Fandango record, and the film is projected to open to $100 million-$120 million and could become the biggest launch for a Marvel Cinematic Universe hero's first standalone movie. Not to mention that buzz for the film after Monday night's Hollywood premiere set social media ablaze.

Yet, some 25 years ago, it was a much different story. Snipes' uphill battle was plagued with script re-writes, director uncertainty, storytelling clashes and inadequate CG capabilities needed to truly bring the marvelous fictional African nation of Wakanda to life.

There have always been rumors about the defunct project — which would ultimately lay a road map for 1998's Blade (the first hit film based on a Marvel character) — but the details have remained murky, until now.

For the first time, Snipes pulls back the curtain for The Hollywood Reporter and shares the tale of how his version of the beloved superhero never quite came to fruition despite his efforts and ambitious vision, which very much mirrored what the character has become.

Courtesy of Marvel Comics
    'Jungle Action featuring the Black Panther' No. 21 (May 1976, Marvel).

"I think Black Panther spoke to me because he was noble, and he was the antithesis of the stereotypes presented and portrayed about Africans, African history and the great kingdoms of Africa," Snipes tells THR. "It had cultural significance, social significance. It was something that the black community and the white community hadn’t seen before."

Created in 1966 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, Black Panther was revolutionary as the first African superhero in mainstream comics. The king and kick-butt protector of Wakanda had it all: brawn, brains, wealth and advanced technologies.

Snipes was hooked in an instant when he and his then manager, Doug Robertson, were approached by Marvel for the project. Feeling that Africa, save for the unique animal population, was too commonly shown in film as a depressing, desolate land, Snipes yearned to show its beauty and lush history.

"Many people don’t know that there were fantastic, glorious periods of African empires and African royalty — Mansa Musa [emperor of the West African Mali Empire] and some of the wealthiest men in the world compared to the wealth of today," Snipes explains. "That was always very, very attractive. And I loved the idea of the advanced technology. I thought that was very forward thinking."

At the time, Marvel was hardly the Disney-backed powerhouse that it is today. After years of hemorrhaging money, the company declared bankruptcy in 1996. While competitor DC Comics had enjoyed big-screen success with hits such as Tim Burton's Batman movies and Christopher Reeve's Superman franchise, box-office hits eluded Marvel.

"Our major competitor was owned by Warners, and they were coming out with Superman movies and Batman movies.... We were out there struggling," recalls former Marvel editor in chief Tom DeFalco (1987-94), who suffered through critical and commercial failures like Howard the Duck (1986), Dolph Lundgren's The Punisher (1989) and a 1994 Fantastic Four movie so bad it never even came out.

Snipes, on the other hand, was red hot, having just starred in a string of hits including New Jack City, White Men Can't Jump, Passenger 57, Rising Sun and Demolition Man. More than just his next picture, Snipes says he saw the Marvel superhero project as a cultural movement.

Steve Granitz/Getty Images
    Wesley Snipes at the Planet Hollywood Beverly Hills grand opening in September 1995.

"Black Panther is an iconic character who much of the world was unfamiliar with and the communities that I grew up in would love," Snipes says. "Look, from the days of William Marshall playing Blacula in the 1970s black flicks and the fervor you found inside the black and Hispanic communities, it never crossed my mind that the audience wouldn’t be down with it."

With Stan Lee's blessing ("He was supportive of the Black Panther project at the time."), Snipes was ready.

But right off the bat, there was an issue. The initial struggle, as Snipes explains, was explaining to the uninitiated that he was trying to make a movie about the comic book superhero Black Panther, not the 1960s civil rights revolutionaries. "They think you want to come out with a black beret and clothing and then there’s a movie," he says, sounding exhausted.

With Columbia locked in as the film's studio, it was time to find a screenwriter and director. Neither search would be simple.

"We went through three different scripts and a couple of different director options — very interesting director options at the time," Snipes says, chuckling.

Mario Van Peebles was on the short list, as was John Singleton, who made a big splash in the industry at the age of 23 with his 1991 film Boyz n the Hood. "They were trying to find the young, up-and-coming black directors," Snipes says.

Snipes would never chat with Van Peebles about the project, but he did have an unforgettable meeting with Singleton.

"I laid on him my vision of the film being closer to what you see now: the whole world of Africa being a hidden, highly technically advanced society, cloaked by a force field, Vibranium," Snipes begins. "John was like, 'Nah! Hah! Hah! See, he’s got the spirit of the Black Panther, but he is trying to get his son to join the [civil rights activist] organization. And he and his son have a problem, and they have some strife because he is trying to be politically correct and his son wants to be a knucklehead.' "

Laughing, Snipes continued, "I am loosely paraphrasing our conversation. But ultimately, John wanted to take the character and put him in the civil rights movement. And I’m like, 'Dude! Where’s the toys?! They are highly technically advanced, and it will be fantastic to see Africa in this light opposed to how Africa is typically portrayed.' I wanted to see the glory and the beautiful Africa. The jewel Africa."

Snipes, somewhat intimidated by Singleton's interpretation, says he was unsuccessful in fully laying out his vision. But that wasn't a bad thing.

"Thank God," Snipes proclaims. "I love John, but I am so glad we didn’t go down that road, because that would have been the wrong thing to do with such a rich project."
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Courtesy of Marvel Comics
    'Jungle Action featuring the Black Panther' No. 8 (January 1974, Marvel)

Recalling the costume idea leaves Snipes in hysterics.

"Actually, I figured it would be a leotard," he says. "A leotard with maybe some little cat ears on it. I would have to be in shape and just be straight bodied up. I never imagined anything more than a leotard at the time, which I didn’t have a problem with because I started out as a dancer."

DeFalco, who sat through dozens of pitches for Marvel properties during those years ("Most of them I think I was fighting to stay awake"), recalls taking a trip with Marvel brass to Los Angeles for a flurry of meetings, during which they had a dinner with Columbia execs and screenwriter Terry Hayes. The screenwriter "gave this incredible pitch" from beginning to end for Black Panther, which began with a battle in Wakanda, and baby T'Challa being put on a river in a basket to be saved. Years later, T'Challa is a grown man living somewhere else, going about his life. Suddenly he's attacked in an elevator in an elaborately choreographed fight scene — and the story goes from there.

"I just remember as the writer was describing the scene, I could see it in my mind," recalls DeFalco. "[I thought], 'If this is our Black Panther movie, sign me up!' He really had a terrific handle on the character, on the action, on the stakes and everything else."

After some time, and a great deal of Snipes' effort, the project stalled.

"Ultimately, we couldn’t find the right combination of script and director and, also at the time, we were so far ahead of the game in the thinking, the technology wasn’t there to do what they had already created in the comic book," Snipes says.

But the action star didn't dwell on the missed opportunity. Rather, he took what he learned from the experience and applied it to his next superhero project: Blade.

"It was a natural progression and a readjustment," Snipes says. "They both [Black Panther and Blade] had nobility. They both were fighters. So I thought, hey, we can’t do the King of Wakanda and the Vibranium and the hidden kingdom in Africa, let’s do a black vampire," he says, laughing.

Blade, based on the vampire hunter character created in July 1973 by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, would go one to be the first hit film based on a Marvel property, giving the company a much-needed win as it licked its wounds from bankruptcy woes. Blade earned $131 million worldwide for New Line Cinema and spawned two sequels, with its success helping to pave the way for Marvel hits like Fox's X-Men (2000) and Sony's Spider-Man (2002).

Photofest
    Wesley Snipes as Blade in the self-titled 1998 film based on the Marvel character.

Black Panther, meanwhile, soon found greater prominence in the comics after the Snipes project stalled. Writer Christopher Priest and artist Mark Texeira reinvigorated the character with the launch of a 1998 Marvel Knights line, which offered a more modern take on T'Challa. Jimmy Palmiotti, who along with Joe Quesada edited the line, both confirmed to THR that despite internet rumors to the contrary, they were never tapped to work on a Black Panther movie in the '90s. But Palmiotti is thrilled to see Boseman's interpretation of the character 20 years after he first worked with T'Challa.

"Diversity with characters has always been what comic books were about, and it's just taking the rest of the world time to catch up on a lot of the things that have been done for years in this medium," says Palmiotti.

Snipes says that over the years, people have told him how much they appreciated Blade, which helped put Marvel films back on track.

"Remember, during that time, Marvel was going through a liquidation and there were concerns that the whole company might fold," he says. "And it is my understanding that film was a catalyst to its resurgence and the empire we see now."

As for what Marvel Studios has become, Snipes says some of the films he really enjoys, and others not as much.

"I think the real shift is when they started bringing real character actors into the projects, people who are capable of creating three-dimensional characters and story and nuance, like Robert Downey, " he says. "I think that is also what made Blade a success. I had a theatrical, classically trained stage performer background, and all of those skills I brought to the character of Blade. I am always supportive of the actors. I think that is the key to some of the pillars of success we see at Marvel."

As for Boseman's Black Panther, Snipes could not be more thrilled, he says.

"Even though I am not a part of this particular project, I support it 1,000 percent, and I am absolutely convinced that it will be a catalyst for change and open other doors and other opportunities," he says. "And we need that kind of diversity and different flavor now. He is a young, talented actor, and I think he is going to make it his own. I hope they give him a great opportunity to really come into the fullness of the character."

And, yes, Snipes — whose upcoming projects include Beetle, an action thriller; Namigo Blu, an action comedy; Arson, a crime drama; and the supernatural thriller Talon of God!, among others — would step back into a Marvel film, if it made sense.

"I am very much open to all of the possibilities," Snipes says. "If Blade 4 comes along, that is a conversation we can have. And there are other characters in the Marvel universe that, if they want to invite me to play around with, I am with that too. I think the fans have a hunger for me to revision the Blade character, so that could limit where they could place me as another character in that universe."

Thread: Black Panther
    Thread: Blade Remake
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mahershala Ali to Star in Marvel’s ‘Blade’ Reboot

By Alex Stedman

Marvel is rebooting the “Blade” series, and has cast Mahershala Ali to star.

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige announced the news at Comic-Con on Saturday as the panel’s big ending surprise. Ali also took the stage at the announcement to massive applause, donning the Blade baseball cap.

Wesley Snipes previously played the half-vampire superhero in 1998’s “Blade” and its two sequels, “Blade II” and “Blade: Trinity.” Coincidentally, Feige was a co-producer on “Trinity.” The series focuses on the titular vigilante, a human who possesses vampire strengths and protect humans from vampires.

Ali has been on a hot streak as of late. He won his first Oscar, for best supporting actor, in 2016 for “Moonlight,” and won the same prize this year for his portrayal of Don Shirley in “Green Book.” He most recently starred in the third season of HBO’s drama series “True Detective” and appeared in “Alita: Battle Angel.”

It’s not Ali’s first foray in the superhero world. Last year, he voiced the Prowler in the animated hit “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” and also played the villain Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes in the first season of the Netflix/Marvel series “Luke Cage.”

“Blade” was only one of several big announcements made at Comic-Con. Among other big news: the full cast of “The Eternals” was revealed, “Shang-Chi” found its lead in Simu Liu and Natalie Portman is rejoining the Thor franchise.

Chillaaxx

Snipes is too old for a reboot but he'd make a great cameo, kind of like the role Helen Slater has played in CW's Supergirl. So obviously Snipes must stay diplomatic if that possibility is to be entertained.

HEAT VISION
    Wesley Snipes Tells Upset 'Blade' Fans to "Chillaaxx" After Surprise Reboot Reveal

JULY 23, 2019 9:36AM by Ryan Parker

1998's 'Blade' | New Line Cinema/Photofest

"Although the news comes as a surprise, it’s all good," says the actor who hoped to return to the franchise that laid the groundwork for the powerhouse Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Wesley Snipes has broken his silence after Marvel revealed over the weekend at San Diego Comic-Con that the Blade franchise would be rebooted seemingly without him.

Mahershala Ali will play the vampire hunter — half-mortal and half-immortal with the mission of ridding the world of vampires.

Snipes was in the title role in the David S. Goyer franchise, which began with the 1998 original and was followed by two sequels, Blade II and Blade: Trinity, that have collectively grossed more than $400 million at the global box office.

Marvel fans credit the films with laying the groundwork for what the powerhouse Marvel Cinematic Universe has become as Blade was the first successful film venture based off a Marvel Comics character after numerous duds.

So, needless to day, some on social media felt the news was a slap in the face to Snipes, who previously said he hoped to be folded back into the MCU.

In a statement to Comicbook.com, Snipes told upset fans to take it easy.

“To all the DAYWALKERS losing their minds right now, chillaaxx," he said in the statement. "Although the news comes as a surprise, it’s ALL good. Such is the ‘business’ of ‘entertainment!’ Much peace to the MCU crew - always a fan."

Added Snipes, "Honor and respect to the grandmaster Stan. Congratulations and Salaam to Mahershala Ali, a beautiful and talented artist whose expressions I look forward to experiencing for many years to come. Inshallah, we will someday work together. Most importantly to my loyal fans, the incredible outpouring of love is overwhelming. I am grateful for the never-ending support. So, ‘nah fret nah worry, it’s not de end of de story.’ Welcome to the Daywalker Klique."

Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter after the weekend's SDCC presentation, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige said that Ali called the studio after winning the Oscar for his work on Green Book.

"When Mahershala calls, you answer," Feige recalled. "At the meeting, Ali came right out and said that he wanted to do Blade. That was that."

Snipes previously told THR in 2018 he was "very much open to all of the possibilities" when it came to playing the character once more.

He said at the time, "If Blade 4 comes along, that is a conversation we can have. And there are other characters in the Marvel universe that, if they want to invite me to play around with, I am with that too. I think the fans have a hunger for me to revision the Blade character, so that could limit where they could place me as another character in that universe."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to win!

Enter to win Blade 4K Ultra HD 4K Digital & Hard Copy Editions. Contest ends 12/24/2020.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Stacy Osei-Kuffour

Marvel's 'Blade' Movie Finds Its Writer in 'Watchmen' Scribe (Exclusive)
    FEBRUARY 05, 2021 1:48PM by Borys Kit

Leon Bennett/WireImage; Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images
    Stacy Osei-Kuffour, a New York playwright who moved to Los Angeles, will pen the project that has Oscar winner Mahershala Ali attached to star.
    Marvel Studios’ Blade, the Vampire Slayer feature has found its writer.

Stacy Osei-Kuffour, a playwright who acted as story editor and writer on HBO's acclaimed limited series Watchmen, has been tapped to pen the script for the feature reboot of Marvel’s vampire-hunting franchise. She will be the first Black female scribe to write a Marvel movie. (Nia DaCosta, working on Captain Marvel 2, is Marvel's first Black woman director.)

Mahershala Ali, who won an Oscar for his performance in Green Book, is attached to star as the horror hero. Plans for a new incarnation of the character, played by Wesley Snipes in a string of movies in the early 2000s, were revealed during Marvel’s senses-shattering presentation at 2019’s San Diego Comic-Con.

The studio has spent the last six months meeting with writers in what was described as a meticulous search, with Ali directly involved. Only Black writers were seriously considered, a reflection of Marvel's focus on diversity and making representation a key factor — especially when tackling nonwhite characters. (David Goyer wrote the three original Blade movies released by New Line between 1998 and 2004.)

Created as a supporting character by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, Blade first appeared in Tomb of Dracula No. 10 in 1973, becoming a cult favorite. He is a human-vampire hybrid thanks to his mother being bitten and killed by a blood-sucker during childbirth.

Osei-Kuffour earned an Emmy-nomination for outstanding writing in a comedy series for her work on Hulu's Pen15. But it was being part of the writing team on Watchmen, HBO’s heady spin on the Alan Moore-Dave Gibbons comic, that got her noticed, as well as a WGA Award win for best new series. She worked on Hunters, Amazon’s blood-soaked limited series that saw Al Pacino and Logan Lerman as Nazi hunters in 1970s America, and HBO crime thriller Run, starring Domhnall Gleeson.

Despite her seemingly rapid ascent in Hollywood, Chicago-born Osei-Kuffour spent years writing plays and poetry — she has a Master’s degree in the former from Hunter College in New York — but struggled to find work as a writer. Her jump from story editor to now a Marvel movie, and breaking down a barrier while doing so, makes for quite a Cinderella story.

She is repped by CAA and McKuin Frankel.

The Hollywood Reporter
    BORYS KIT
    borys.kit@thr.com
    I really need to revisit Blade soon. It's been forever since I saw it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lindo

‘Blade’: Delroy Lindo Joins Mahershala Ali in Marvel Studios’ Vampire Adventure (Exclusive)
    Bassam Tariq, known for directing the rap drama 'Mogul Mowgli,' is in the director’s chair.

BY BORYS KIT

NOVEMBER 19, 2021 12:59PM

Delroy Lindo MIKE COPPOLA/GETTY IMAGES

Delroy Lindo, currently shooting up bad guys in The Harder They Fall, is in final negotiations to join Mahershala Ali in Marvel Studios’ Blade.

Bassam Tariq, known for directing the rap drama Mogul Mowgli, is in the director’s chair for the vampire-centric adventure-thriller, with Stacy Osei-Kuffour, who worked on HBO’s acclaimed Watchmen series, behind the keyboard on script duties.

Created as a supporting character by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, Blade first appeared in Tomb of Dracula No. 10 in 1973, becoming a cult favorite. He is a human-vampire hybrid thanks to his mother being bitten and killed by a blood-sucker during childbirth. On top of comic aficionados, Blade has built up a generation of fans who grew up watching the Blade trilogy that starred Wesley Snipes from 1998-2004.

Plans for a new incarnation of the character were first revealed during Marvel’s senses-shattering presentation at 2019’s San Diego Comic-Con.

No Marvel Cinematic Universe take on the character has been revealed so far, though Ali’s voice can be heard at the end of Eternals in a post-credits tease. Also unclear is Lindo’s role, although he’s the first actor to board the project other than Ali.

According to sources, the project is due to begin shooting in late summer 2022.

Marvel was as quiet as an empty coffin when called for comment.

Lindo is a veteran actor who enjoyed a resurgence thanks to his commanding performance in Da 5 Bloods, Spike Lee’s war drama that also starred Chadwick Boseman. He is known for his key roles in movies such as Get Shorty and Gone in 60 Seconds, and his work with filmmaker Lee, which also includes Clockers, Crooklyn and Malcolm X.

In Harder They Fall, he plays Marshal Bass Reeves, a true-life figure that was the first black deputy U.S. Marshal west of the Mississippi.

Lindo is repped by APA.
    Cool! Luv Delroy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Exit Director

Sep 27, 2022 8:32pm PT
    Marvel’s ‘Blade’ Loses Director Bassam Tariq Two Months Ahead of Production

By J. Kim Murphy

Andreas Rentz/Getty Images

Bassam Tariq has exited his role as director of Marvel Studios’ “Blade,” Variety has confirmed.

Tariq’s departure comes as a shock, as production was set to begin in November on Marvel’s upcoming feature about the iconic comic book vampire slayer. The film is set to star Mahershala Ali in the title role, alongside a cast that includes Delroy Lindo and Aaron Pierre.

Although he will no longer be helming “Blade,” sources close to the situation state that Tariq will remain attached to the project as an executive producer.

The filmmaker was first confirmed as the director of “Blade” in summer 2021. He had previously helmed 2020’s rap drama “Mogul Mowgli,” starring Riz Ahmed.

“It’s been an honor working with the wonderful folks at Marvel. We were able to put together a killer cast and crew. Eager to see where the next director takes the film,” Tariq said in a statement, confirming his exit as director.

It remains unclear how Tariq’s departure could impact the production timeline for “Blade,” which is set for release on Nov. 3, 2023. Considering the carefully planned chronology of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which sees events across various films and television series impact the storylines of subsequent entries, a substantial delay for “Blade” could potentially reshape Marvel Studios’ enormous slate of content in unforeseen ways.

Tariq is not the first director to exit a Marvel Studios film that has already completed a substantial pre-production timeline. “Doctor Strange” director Scott Derrickson stepped down from helming its sequel, “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” four months ahead of filming. Sam Raimi later took over the project.

Additionally, Jon Watts, who has helmed the MCU’s three “Spider-Man” entries at Sony, exited as director of Disney’s upcoming “Fantastic Four” reboot over the summer, though that project is eyeing a much further release date of Nov. 8, 2024.

“Blade” has been on the horizon for some time now. The project was first announced at San Diego Comic-Con in 2019, with Ali making a surprise appearance at the conclusion of Marvel Studios’ Hall H presentation. The arrival was met with an uproarious response from fans, both in-person and online.

Ali has since made his MCU debut in the role — kind of. The actor’s voice can be heard in a post-credits scene of 2021’s “Eternals,” which features the vampire slayer speaking to Kit Harington’s character Dane Whitman.

The Hollywood Reporter was first to report news of Tariq’s exit as director.
    Bummer. I don't know this director however.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yann Demange

Nov 21, 2022 2:20pm PT
    Marvel Lands New ‘Blade’ Director With ‘Lovecraft Country’s’ Yann Demange

By Angelique Jackson

Courtesy Image

Marvel Studios’ “Blade,” starring Oscar winner Mahershala Ali, has found its new director in Yann Demange.

The “Lovecraft Country” and “White Boy Rick” director takes the reins of the vampire slayer movie from Bassam Tariq, who exited the production in September. He will direct from a brand new script by Emmy nominee Michael Starrbury, which is said to be “darker than most MCU movies.”

After Tariq’s departure from the project, which was set to begin production in November, Marvel Studios focused on revamping the story and putting the right team in place, ultimately entering negotiations with Demange. Starrbury also replaces screenwriter Stacy Osei-Kuffour who was originally tapped to write the film’s script.

Last month, Disney delayed “Blade” from its planned Nov. 3, 2023, release date to Sept. 6, 2024, following the production pause. With Demange in place, production on the film, which also stars Delroy Lindo and Aaron Pierre, is set to resume in Atlanta next year.

Born in Paris and raised in London, Demange built his résumé with TV series including “Dead Set” and “Top Boy” before he segued into feature films like “’71,” as well as “White Boy Rick” and later “Lovecraft Country,” both of which starred new MCU addition Jonathan Majors. (Demange executive produced and directed the pilot episode for the HBO series, co-created by Misha Green.)

In addition to his new Marvel duties with “Blade,” Demange is set to direct and executive produce “Scanners,” the HBO series reboot of the 80s film franchise, and the movie “Dammi” with his production company Wayward, alongside AMI and Vixens.

Ali’s casting was announced in 2019, when the actor (who’d previously played Marvel villain Cornell Stokes a.k.a. Cottonmouth in Netflix’s “Luke Cage”) a surprise appearance at the end of Marvel Studios’ Hall H presentation, and ever since, “Blade” has been one of the most highly-anticipated properties in the MCU. Then, Ali (technically) made his MCU debut during the post-credits scene of 2021’s “Eternals,” when the two-time Oscar winner’s voice can be heard speaking to Kit Harington’s character Dane Whitman off camera. However, fans have been itching to catch their first glimpse of Ali in Blade’s full regalia.

During this year’s Comic-Con presentation in July, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige announced that “Blade” is set to round out Marvel’s Phase Five, with “Deadpool 3” planned to debut in Nov. 8, 2024, and Phase Six to begin with “Fantastic Four” in 2025.

Demange is repped by CAA, Carlos Goodman and Sue Rodgers.

Marvel’s “Blade” movie follows the New Line CInema franchise, which launched in 1998 with Wesley Snipes starring as the titular sword-wielding half-vampire. The film trilogy is widely credited for presaging the current golden age of superhero cinema, with the movies, all written by David S. Goyer, grossing roughly $418 million globally through 2004. In 2006, Goyer created a TV spin-off starring the rapper Sticky Fingaz, which ran for one season on the defunct basic cable network Spike.
    I watched a little of Lovecraft Country. Anyone else?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips