Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Screw Marvel & DC. I wanna see this.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Digital N. America release

Gotta luv Shout! Factory.

Russian Superhero Movie 'Guardians' Sells to U.S., U.K.
    3:31 AM PDT 5/17/2017 by Vladimir Kozlov

out! Factory and 4Digital Media Group are releasing the movie on digital platforms.
    Shout! Factory has picked up Russian patriotic superhero movie Guardians for a digital release in North America, and 4Digital Media Group will release the film in the United Kingdom and Ireland on DVD and digitally.

"Guardians is an ultra-stylish, high-octane superhero movie and delivers a visceral thrill-ride that movie fans will highly enjoy," Melissa Boag, senior vp family entertainment at Shout! Factory, said. "We look forward to presenting this film to North American audiences through a wide variety of entertainment distribution platforms."

"It is our second deal with Shout! Factory and it’s an honor for us to enter North American market, the toughest one of all, in partnership with such a partner," added Anastasia Bankovskaya, head of the international sales department at Planeta Inform Group, Guardians' sales agent.

Guardians, directed by Sarik Andreasyan, was released in Russia in February. It has become one of the biggest international sellers among recent Russian movies, selling to Germany, France, Italy, China, Korea, India, Japan, Argentina and Brazil, Chile, Mexico and other countries.

The movie is set at the height of the Cold War and features a group of Soviet superheroes defending their country.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

Had a quiet NYE at home this year. So I dropped the 99 cents on this on iTunes because it had a kickass trailer. Sadly, it sux.

It's a Russian spin on the Fantastic Four but instead there's a dude that can levitate rocks like an earthbender who gets an electro-rock whip, a kung fu dude with half-circle scimitars that moves like the Flash, a Ben Grimm-like dude but he's a werebear (same issues as the Hulk - afraid he'll never be human again if he keeps converting) and a hottie that turns invisible big only when wet. Ikr? And she's immune to temperature so she can walk around in a skimpy superhero suit in frigid Russia. Actually, she's the only interesting element in this because she delivers some fine acrobatic fight scenes, nothing mind blowing but still amusing. She's played by an actress with the unlikely almost Bond-girl-like name of Alina Lanina, and I went to the trouble of following her Instagram just to see if she does more action flicks. The villain is a CGI Bane sans mask that can control any machine with his force lightning bolts including tripod spider gattling gun drones. He leads an army of clones that look like paramilitary Tusken Raiders. Overall the CGI is weak and the story moves along in a most uncompelling way. There's another femme fatale, the leader of the military group overseeing the Guardians. She gets to wear skin-tight leather pants because she the commander. What really ruined this for me was a horrid English dub version. Perhaps if I was reading subtitles, I would have been distracted from the bad cgi and I can't imagine the actual voices being so bad. I'm sure it sounds better in Russian.

Avoid this film. And I can't imagine it's upcoming sequel will be much better.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips