Thread: Godzilla: Resurgence

Godzilla: Resurgence

Back in the hands of Toho Studios. That's promising.

Teaser Trailer and Poster for Toho’s Godzilla: Resurgence
    GODZILLA: RESURGENCE GODZILLA MOVIE NEWS
    BY SPENCER PERRY ON DECEMBER 10, 2015

Teaser trailer and poster for Toho’s Godzilla: Resurgence

It’s been eleven years since legendary Japanese studio Toho brought the King of the monsters to life, but that will change next year with the release of Toho’s Godzilla: Resurgence. Toho has debuted the first teaser trailer for the film along with a poster, offering a glimpse at the design of the big fella himself, both of which you can check out below.

Production on the 29th Godzilla movie, the first from Toho since 2004’s Godzilla: Final Wars, took place over the summer with filmmakers Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi, known for their work on “Neon Genesis Evangelion” and the live-action Attack on Titan, co-directing the feature. Anno also wrote the screenplay for the film while Higuchi oversaw the special effects.

Toho previously revealed they will utilize CG technology for the film with Higuchi calling it the “most terrifying” version of Godzilla. The co-director also previously said the filmmakers were going to push the film into a different direction from the happier installments, citing that the world has lost its innocence after the various terrorist attacks and natural disasters over the past few years.

“In movie after movie,” he said, “People merely ran away from the stampeding monster, and no one tried to face up to the issue of accountability.”

Godzilla: Resurgence will be released in Japan on July 29, 2016. Check back here for any updates on the film’s domestic release.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shin Godzilla

I just cut this from our original Godzilla thread.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

『シン・ゴジラ』予告2

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Could it be? Finally?

A decent Godzilla movie? I mean, how hard is it to make a decent Godzilla movie?

AUG 29, 2016 @ 12:30 PM
    'Godzilla Resurgence' Has Made Over 5 Billion Yen At The Japanese Box Office
    Ollie Barder , CONTRIBUTOR
    I write about video games and pop-culture from Japan.

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

(Photo credit: Toho Pictures)

In the time since Godzilla Resurgence’s release in Japan, the film has managed to make over 5.3 billion yen at the Japanese box office.

That amounts to roughly $51.63 million, which means it has made more in that territory than the 2014 Godzilla movie, which only pulled in $29 million, and is close to beating the box office takings of the last Evangelion movie.

The latter is an important point because Evangelion is a series helmed by Hideaki Anno, who wrote and co-directed this new Godzilla movie. In addition, co-director Shinji Higuchi also worked on both as well.

For many, Godzilla Resurgence harks back to classic Gainax anime and to see it exceed possibly one of their most successful works, in the form of Evangelion, is definitely noteworthy.

When I saw Godzilla Resurgence recently I was quite impressed with it overall. Of course, there were a few cheesy and awkward elements but it was still a very current take on what Godzilla means in modern day Japan.

This aspect will likely mean that its appeal will be culturally landlocked, as Godzilla has always had the undercurrent of how Japan deals with natural disasters.

This new film though is a scathing indictment of how the Japanese administration failed in its duty in the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami and the subsequent Fukushima disaster.

It’s clear this element of the movie has strongly resonated with Japanese viewers and they have flocked to see it in the millions.

The fact that a vintage property like Godzilla can still be relevant in this day and age is fascinating to see and I am glad that Hideaki Anno managed to have his expertise appreciated on a wider stage.

It will be interesting to see how Godzilla Resurgence does in the West when it is released later this year but in the meantime, its Japanese audience simply cannot get enough of the immense beast.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In U.S. Theaters on October 11-18

Gotta go IMAX with this bad boy.

Shin Godzilla Listed in U.S. Theaters on October 11-18
    posted on 2016-08-31 01:50 EDT
    U.S poster also unveiled for film that sold 3.6 million tickets in Japan

Ticketing service Fandango revealed the poster for Funimation's North American release of the Shin Godzilla movie on Tuesday. The poster reveals an October 11-18 screening run for the film. Theaters have also been listing the same release dates for the film.

The film will have IMAX, MX4D, and 4DX screenings.

The film has earned 5.3 billion yen (about US$51.63 million) and has sold 3.6 million tickets. It has surpassed the earnings of director Hideaki Anno's previous film, Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo.

The film opened on 441 screens in its opening weekend on July 29, having sold 412,302 tickets for 624,610,700 yen (about US$6.08 million). The film topped the Japanese box office for two straight weeks, but fell to #2 in its third week, and #3 in its fifth week.

TOHO's live-action Godzilla franchise of 29 films has sold over 100 million tickets in Japan, a first for a Japanese live-action film franchise. TOHO released the first film in the franchise in 1954, and that film sold 9.61 million tickets. The third film in the franchise, the 1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla, sold 12.55 million tickets, the highest in the series. Shin Godzilla represents the latest in TOHO's film series after a 12-year absence since 2004's Godzilla: Final Wars.
    SEP 5, 2016 @ 01:00 PM
    'Godzilla Resurgence' Is Now The Highest Earning Film This Year In Japan
    Ollie Barder , CONTRIBUTOR
    I write about video games and pop-culture from Japan.
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

(Photo credit: Toho Pictures)

It seems that Godzilla Resurgence’s Japanese box office takings have no limit, as Toho recently revealed the movie has now made over 6 billion yen (or around $58 million) at the Japanese box office since its release on July 29th.

That means that in a little over a month the movie has become the highest earning movie of the year in Japan.

When I saw Godzilla Resurgence recently I was surprised at how good it was. Not least because of its decent story but also because it was a more modern and relevant film in regards to how the current Japanese government operates when faced with natural disasters.

Co-directed by Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi, the movie is very reminiscent of classic Gainax anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Like that anime, the protagonists in Godzilla Resurgence have to use the breadth and depth of the Japanese national infrastructure in order to comprehend as well as neutralize this massive threat.

As with the Angels in Evangelion, Godzilla is a similarly almost invulnerable antagonist but the focus of this movie is more on showing how a national infrastructure can be misused, due to a bloated and inefficient bureaucracy.

This aspect has likely resonated with viewers in Japan. However, it will also be a challenge for localizing the movie when it comes to its limited Western release this October, as its appeal may be a culturally landlocked one.

Personally, I am just happy Anno has managed to write and direct a hit. Whilst his anime has a habit of fumbling its finales, the shorter running time for this movie has clearly helped keep the film’s narrative on track.

With this kind of success though, it’s inevitable we’ll see a sequel but whether Anno or Higuchi will be involved remains to be seen, especially as Anno has to finish off the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is a must-see for me.

First forum review!

For some reason, Funimation sent me an online screener.

This film really carries the spirit of the original Gojira. It's a warning about nuclear power, and a scathing commentary on bureaucracy. There's a lot of talking - in fact it's almost constant talking as everyone tries to figure out what to do. The cinematography is unusual, the color schemes bleached, a lot of shots of command centers. At nearly 2 hours, it was borderline tiresome. The Americans are annoying except for the smoking hot Japanese American go-between. There's a lot of nationalism set against Japanese stoicism, a lot of disdain for politicians and traditional hierarchy in government which hesitates lamely in the face of untold disaster.

But it's all about the big guy. When Gojira is one screen, he is awesome. This is not Japan's sellout papa of baby Godzilla, nor the dumb Hollywood Godzillas (neither the Broderick lizards, nor latest the S.F. eating one). This is Gojira, the tragic aberration of misguided atomic abuse, a haunting metaphor for Hiroshima & Nagasaki, the biggest badass of tokusatsu. There's a few minor twists to the original, but for the most part, it's an update - the same story of nuclear karma in the era of smartphones and social networks. Most important, they kept the original theme music. As an old Gojira fan, it was very nostalgic, but it's pacing might be a little too old skool Japanese for many U.S. viewers. Gojira could have used more screen time, but like the original, there's a lot of focus on the human perspective on it all. There is room for a sequel.

The screener was watermarked with my work email address right smack across the center, and the mediocre resolution on our Mac made it hard to tell how good the effects might be. But still, I'm tempted to see it in IMAX should the opportunity arise. If the effects are solid, it'll be totally worth it to see this Gojira wreak havoc in IMAX.

I enjoyed this a lot, but I am very biased towards the original Gojira. And I'll add that I would have been completely sold if this film had a version of B.O.C.'s Godzilla done by BabyMetal.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now playing - FOR ONE WEEK ONLY

In the SF Bay Area, it's playing at several Century Theaters - most are only offering a 7:30 showing.

Toho Studios Delivers First Godzilla Film In 12 Years
    Godzilla is back on a rampage in Japan in the new Toho Studios' film "Godzill...
    Credit: Funimation Films

Above: Godzilla is back on a rampage in Japan in the new Toho Studios' film "Godzilla Resurgence."
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016
    By Beth Accomando

It’s been more than a decade since Toho Studios has produced a Godzilla movie but all that changes with “Godzilla Resurgence” (“Shin Godzilla”), a film that opened in Japan earlier this year and finally arrives in the U.S. this week at select theaters Oct. 11 through 18.

Companion viewing
    "Gojira" (1954)
    "Destroy All Monsters" (1968)
    "Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack" (2001)
    It’s been more than a decade since Toho Studios has produced a Godzilla movie but all that changes with “Godzilla Resurgence” (“Shin Godzilla”), a film that opened in Japan earlier this year and finally arrives in the U.S. this week at select theaters Oct. 11 through 18.

As a fan of Godzilla, I have been waiting for a new film from Toho Studios for 12 years. Godzilla was born at Toho in 1954 through the genius of filmmaker Ishiro Honda, effects wizard Eiji Tsuburaya and suit actor Haruo Nakajima. I fell in love with Big G as a child and one of the chief attractions was that he was brought to life by a man in a rubber suit. I know that is sometimes made fun of here in the U.S. but it is what gave Godzilla his unique personality and made him so compelling and endearing to me.

Toho has allowed two American films to be made, one was the horrendous debacle of 1998 (which most people choose to deny even happened) and the other was the 2014 Gareth Edwards’ film that was flawed but had a decent monster.

But now Godzilla finally returns to his birthplace to wreak havoc on Japan once again in a film from Toho Studios. At the helm is Hideaki Anno, fresh off the recent “Evangelion” anime movies. Anno keeps the film moving at a brisk pace but he leaves us wanting more Godzilla on screen.

“Godzilla Resurgence” opens with a strange fountain of water erupting in the bay. Officials are alarmed but initially dismiss it as some sort of volcanic activity. But then a creature emerges from the deep and begins a rampage through Japan. Cabinet meetings are called, officials agonize over a course of action, and meanwhile the creature begins to transform into what everyone soon acknowledges is Godzilla.

Video
    Trailer: 'Shin Godzilla'

This new “Godzilla Resurgence” is an odd mix of things. On the one hand it seems designed very specifically for a Japanese audience in terms of some of the social, political and cultural references. Yet on the other hand it seems the most cognizant of Godzilla’s place in the global marketplace and includes many scenes in English. There is even a Japanese-American woman representing the U.S. government and it is through U.S. documents that Godzilla is given his name in this film.

In some ways, this Godzilla is more serious than past outings as it references the Fukushima accident, Japan’s ability to militarize and questions how far a government will go to rid itself of danger. A scene of Japanese government officials talking about nuking Tokyo in order to get rid of Godzilla has a chilling echo since Japan is the only country to have had two nuclear bombs dropped on it. And Godzilla himself emerged from that nuclear fallout.

But “Resurgence” is also jokier and even a bit meta as it considers what is attacking Japan and as endless cabinet meetings ponder Godzilla's place in the new world order.

The U.S. representative explains: “There is a movement centered in China/Russia to take Godzilla out of the control of the Japanese government and put it under international organizations.”

She even talks about the role the United Nations might play.

The press notes explain it this way: “As the government scrambles to save the citizens, a rag-tag team of volunteers cuts through a web of red tape to uncover the monster’s weakness and its mysterious ties to a foreign superpower.”

In both a serious and a tongue-in-cheek manner, the film considers Japan’s relationship with the U.S.

But most people will not be going to see “Resurgence” for any of its serious or not so serious commentary. They will be going for the monster.

For this new film, Godzilla is brought to life with a combination of a suit, puppetry, animatronics and computer effects, and the results are mostly top notch. The new design had some fans buzzing about what was going on but this new Godzilla transforms through the course of the film beginning as a rather slug-like creature with no forearms and a more whale-like body.

So depending on what point in his evolution you see him, you might be concerned about his appearance. But he grows into a massive, scarred creature with a whole new set of weaponry besides atomic laser breath. But as with the Gareth Edwards’ film, this one too fails to give us enough of Godzilla on screen and active.

Some of the effects work, but some scenes involving things blowing up, look a little shoddy. Many of the old school Godzilla films could get away with some cheesy effects because the carefully crafted miniature work and man in a rubber suit had a charm that invited us to partake in the fantasy world they were creating. But with the greater reliance on computer-generated effects, audiences are more likely to be pulled out of the action by poorly rendered explosions.

Although there is a suit actor credited — Mansai Nomura — we get a hybrid Godzilla that is not quite as much fun as what we have had in the past. But he's still an impressive sight to behold and it is a treat to have him on the big screen.

But I don't want my nostalgia for what I loved in the past blind me to the fact that the Godzilla franchise may need to look to the future and figure out a way to make this hybrid of suit acting, motion capture, puppetry, animatronics and CGI work.

Since this is the first Toho "Godzilla" in 12 years, it feels a bit like a reboot and it makes me hopeful for what is to come as the studio and its creative team rediscover what Big G is capable of.

“Godzilla Resurgence” (made by Toho but released through Funimation) may not be Godzilla at his very best but for fans of the giant monster, it’s a welcome relief to have him back in Toho Studio’s hands where we see the potential for exciting new developments. And as with the recent American Godzilla, this film feels very much a set up for additional franchise entries.

Hopefully, Godzilla’s next Toho outing will have him facing off against more kaiju (literally translated as strange creature but has come to mean giant monster). In the meantime, let's just enjoy Big G on the big screen again.

Check out what Godzilla has to say about Japan and be listening later this month for a Cinema Junkie podcast on Godzilla and his legacy.

BETH ACCOMANDO, Arts & Culture Reporter | Contact | Follow @cinebeth on Twitter
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips