Thread: Shao Huo Gun

Shao Huo Gun

Hello again.

On the year 1341, the monk Jinnaluo Wang arrived to Shaolin Shi, and remained serving in the kitchen. He was the responsible of to light the fire �� and to cook in the Monastery.

The red turbans attacked the Monastery Shaolin on March 26 1351 (Dynasty Yuan). Jinnaluo went out of the kitchen with a stick and expelled the attachers. After this, he created the Tao Lu Shao Huo Gun whose movements are based on the use of the stick to maintain ignition the fire.

At the beginning the fire form had single 19 movements, but during Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) the monk Zhishan increased it up to 25. Later on, during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) monk Zhan Qing developed it until 39 movements, and Monk Xiang who lived up to 1987 developed the Tao Lu until 62 movements.

Now my question. Is this Tao Lu one of more important and older at Shaolin?

(Pardon for my English)

Feng mo gun and yin shou gun have been developed starting from Shao huo gun? They have some similar parte.

Jinna Luo might be apocryphal

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Nice and interesting.

Hello, Gene Ching.

But it is not what was looking for. I am preparing a dossier about stick Tao Lu. I want to know which can be oldest and more important Tao Lu with stick. Also, I believe that Fengmogun and Yinshougun may proceed in certain way from Shao Huo Gun.
    And yes, I understand �� the figure of Jin Na Luo like legend, not historical.
    Thanks.

Hey there,

Well, I would not put too much stock in what you read in the Shaolin encyclopedia.

The currently 'popular' versions of ShaoHuo Gun are not the forms you perhaps think they are.

ShaoHuo Gun is generally said to be named in reverence of JinNaLuo rather than being the style created by him. His weapon is a shaohuogun, a Fire stoking staff as opposed to a regular staff.

Jin Na Luo is a 'JingGang YeCha' 金刚 夜叉, that is if you like the classification of deity that he is. So his style should be the YeCha Gun I think. But as discussed in the other thread, the YeCha Gun is mainly spear technique so may not be wholly representative of the current generation of Shaolin staff.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Hey there,

Well, I would not put too much stock in what you read in the Shaolin encyclopedia.

The currently 'popular' versions of ShaoHuo Gun are not the forms you perhaps think they are.

ShaoHuo Gun is generally said to be named in reverence of JinNaLuo rather than being the style created by him. His weapon is a shaohuogun, a Fire stoking staff as opposed to a regular staff.

Jin Na Luo is a 'JingGang YeCha' 金刚 夜叉, that is if you like the classification of deity that he is. So his style should be the YeCha Gun I think. But as discussed in the other thread, the YeCha Gun is mainly spear technique so may not be wholly representative of the current generation of Shaolin staff.
    Not sure if it adds anything to the discussion, but it occurs to me that fire stoking is pretty much going to look like spear work...

There are a lot of threads on Shaolin staff here in this forum. Search.

Quote Originally Posted by Semillas View Post
    I want to know which can be oldest and more important Tao Lu with stick.
    The oldest documented Shaolin staff form is in Cheng Zengyou's 1624 Exposition of Original Shaolin Staff Fighting. As for 'more important', that's quite relative to the practitioner. No distinctions is the Chan way.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hello again. Where could I see the version that you say, Ren Da Hai?

When I googled fire stoking stick...

Name:  2618.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  8.8 KB
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Hello again. Where could I see the version that you say, Ren Da Hai?
    Probably nowhere but Songshan, this version (also known as Yuan Hou Bang) is perhaps more like it, not so exciting as the popular one I'm afraid. I will look for a closer version online but I am not optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9agudhsIu0
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Now my question. Is this Tao Lu one of more important and older at Shaolin?

(Pardon for my English)

The military book Jiangnan Jingluo appeared sometime between 1560 and 1570. It includes lists of what was taught to the troops. It includes forms of Shaolin. The Sea Patrolling Yecha Staff being one of them.

少林夜叉棍

I don't think it has any relationship to modern Shaolin staff of the same name.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The oldest documented Shaolin staff form is in Cheng Zengyou's 1624 Exposition of Original Shaolin Staff Fighting. As for 'more important', that's quite relative to the practitioner. No distinctions is the Chan way.
    '

Thanks for the link Gene. But the link to my article in that thread no longer has the illustrations.

The Barbarian Surrendering Maneuver