Thread: Assassin's Creed

Hybrid View

Assassin's Creed

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Trailer 2

I'm excited for this because I know someone in the film. She even made this trailer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Interesting...

...I'm surprised to see this film take such an international turn. But then again, I tend to underestimate the videogame based films.

'The Revenant' Executive Producer Talks 'Assassin's Creed,' India-China Film Ties
    5:19 AM PST 11/22/2016 by Nyay Bhushan

Courtesy of NFDC
    Philip Lee

Philip Lee, who is attending the Film Bazaar in Goa, says he has been developing a possible India-China co-production.
    At a time when film industry ties between Hollywood and China keep strengthening by the day, India and China can similarly explore such opportunities, producer Philip Lee tells The Hollywood Reporter.

The executive producer of such titles as Oscar-winning The Revenant, Cloud Atlas and Assassin's Creed, which stars Marion Cotillard and Michael Fassbender and opens in December, says collaborations between the two Asian giants, which signed a co-production treaty in 2014, "should really be driven by the content that can be jointly produced."

Lee is this week attending the Film Bazaar event in Goa, organized by the Indian government's National Film Development Corporation. The annual event, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary, has become the go-to platform for India's evolving indie scene to be mentored and incubated through a mix of workshops, script and production labs and other sessions. Over the years, Film Bazaar has helped develop such projects as 2012 breakout The Lunchbox and films that have been selected as India's entries for the foreign-language race at the Oscars, such as 2014's Liar's Dice and last year's Court.

Lee will hold a master class at the Bazaar on Thursday titled “Mounting and Positioning the Epic Across Cultures.”

As someone who has been at the intersection of Hollywood and China since he started his career as Hong Kong line producer for films such as Dragon – The Bruce Lee Story and Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, Lee has now bridged that gap further with the recent launch of financing and production company Facing East Entertainment. Lee's earlier credits include such titles as Chen Kaige's The Emperor and the Assassin, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Zhang Yimou's Hero.

Co-founded with Lee's longtime producing partner Markus Barmettler, Facing East is currently producing Peter Segal’s sci-fi action title Inversion, scripted by Paul Haggis. The firm is also developing another sci-fi project, Shipbreaker, based on the award-winning book by Paolo Bacigalupi, which will also be scripted by Haggis, who will direct the project. The company has also partly financed Terrence Malick's Radegund, which is slated for a 2018 release.

Lee says the upcoming Jackie Chan starrer Kung-Fu Yoga "is a great example of connecting the right talent with the right content.” He feels that the Stanley Tong-directed film should do well, but he also points out that it is "probably an exception" in trying to create similar projects in future. "But I guess these things take time,” he adds. “Ten years ago, the relationship between Hollywood and China was nowhere close to where it is now [with Chinese investment growing in Hollywood and Hollywood movies doing such strong box office in China].”

On his part, Lee has been developing a possible India-China project, 19 Steps, since 2008 with well-known South Indian filmmaker Bharat Bala. “It is a historical fiction project and is based on an original story,” he says, emphasizing that the project is still at the planning stage.

While Lee admits he hasn't seen many Indian films, he says he is impressed with the talents of M. Night Shyamalan, who is of Indian origin. He lauds the director's The Sixth Sense as "the perfect example of a story that travels across cultures." He adds: "In Chinese and Indian culture, for instance, we are aware that the soul is still alive even if the body dies. But that was a unique concept for American and Western audiences, which is why the film did so well."

Lee also draws parallels to the ambitious Cloud Atlas, for which he helped raise part of its financing, as a film that tackled the subject of “reincarnation, which is something we know in Asian culture as well.” Lee tells THR that after Cloud Atlas came out, Nolan wrote a letter to directors the Wachowskis, saying that “the movie is great, but there's only one problem -- it is 20 years too early.”

Assassin's Creed star Fassbender was quoted as saying that he thought the film could be compared to The Matrix. Asked about that, Lee says that “the film travels between dimensions, so perhaps you could say it is something like The Matrix." The adaptation of the popular video game franchise centers on the centuries-long struggle between the Assassins and the Templars.

As for his upcoming projects, Lee tells THR he is working on a Broadway musical adaptation of Farewell My Concubine, which saw a 1993 film version directed by Chen Kaige. Says Lee: “Now here is another example of how Indian films – which are known for their song and dance – can perhaps be translated for Broadway."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Assassin’s Creed | Official HD Trailer #3 | 2017

JAN 1st is the U.K. premiere. I think the U.S. premiere is still DEC 21 - next week, in the wake of Rogue One.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

JAN 1st is the U.K. premiere. I think the U.S. premiere is still DEC 21 - next week, in the wake of Rogue One.
    The assassin gets killed in the end. LOL.

Can't wait thanks for the heads up.

Opens tomorrow

Assassin’s Creed producer Philip Lee says Chinese cinema ‘may be getting worse’
    The producer of Cloud Atlas; The Dark Knight; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; and The Revenant loves the challenge of balancing art and business
    BY HONG XINYI
    20 DEC 2016

Philip Lee has worked on Hollywood movies including (from left) Cloud Atlas; The Dark Knight; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; and The Revenant. Photo: Jeff Chang

Even ardent film buffs might be hard-pressed to identify what the following directors have in common: Mexico’s Alejandro González Ińárritu; Englishman Christopher Nolan; Canadian Paul Haggis; Germany’s Tom Tykwer; Dutchman Jan de Bont; Americans Terrence Malick and the Wachowski siblings; Hong Kong’s Ronny Yu; Taiwan-born Ang Lee; and China’s Chen Kaige and Zhang Yimou.

Some in this list make crowd-pleasing blockbusters. Some are renowned amateurs, with more than a few Oscars between them. As it turns out, the common thread uniting their disparate styles is producer Philip Lee, who’s worked with them all and lived to tell the tales. Mention that quite a few of these directors have reputations for being rather controlling, and Lee gives a good-natured laugh. “If they are good, why not? If I were them, I would be controlling too.”

His own background may explain his affinity with demanding creative types. Now based in Singapore with his Singaporean wife and three daughters, Lee started his producing career in the 1980s with Hong Kong’s Salon Films, where he worked on Hollywood projects shooting in Asia. He later studied directing in Japan, at Nihon University’s College of Arts, and this has helped him immensely as a producer.

“I can become very good friends with directors. I know how they think; why they feel insecure; when is the best time to talk to them,” he says. “Being a director can be very lonely, and you have to gain their trust. My purpose is to help them make a great movie, which eventually will benefit myself as well. If you’re talking to someone who’s only thinking about money and have no ideas about story and characters, why waste your time?”

Earlier this year, Lee started production company Facing East with business partner and lawyer Markus Barmettler. He is reviving a project – The 19th Step – which was previously announced in 2008 but eventually fell through due to what Lee describes as “stupid reasons”. Paul Haggis will also write and direct a trilogy for Facing East based on US author Paolo Bacigalupi’s young adult novels, beginning with Ship Breaker.

Other upcoming projects include Inversion, a science-fiction piece written by Haggis; and Radegund, a second world war drama directed by the legendary Malick. But first, he has action film Assassin’s Creed opening in Hong Kong on December 22. Unusually for Lee, this is a project based on a popular video game, and its backers have hopes of turning it into a profitable franchise. Beneath the film’s commercial ambitions lie a wealth of potent creative talents who first made their names in the arthouse scene, chief among them Australian director Justin Kurzel, and leading man Michael Fassbender.

Assassin's Creed is an upcoming, feature-length motion picture, based on the award-winning series of the same name

Assassin's Creed stars Michael Fassbender

For Lee, producing is an act of creativity. With Barmettler’s expertise in structuring financing deals, Lee can now focus on his passion for developing scripts, nurturing creative relationships, and finding potential investors who share their vision. “I choose projects with my heart. They don’t always look like obvious successes, but as a salesman, I can only sell things that I love,” he explains. “I want to do good movies that can communicate with audiences, that have artistic value as well as commercial value.”

For instance, Ińárritu’s Oscar-winning The Revenant was a tough sell to investors, but Lee believed in Leonardo DiCaprio’s star power as well as the director’s vision. “I believe in fate. I can only tell potential investors sincerely and wholeheartedly about a project. If they buy it, they buy it; if they don’t, they don’t,” he says.

The Revenant starred Leonardo DiCaprio

Another of his favourite projects is 2012’s Cloud Atlas , a trippy science-fiction movie co-directed by the Wachowskis and Tykwer. “I think it’s a great film, but a lot of people didn’t get it. Maybe someday they will. I feel very sorry that the investors didn’t make money, but every single one is still friends with me, because they love the movie and they understand that nothing in life is guaranteed.”

Zhou Xun and Donna Bae in Cloud Atlas

You might say that Lee has settled on a very tough niche as a producer — in an industry currently dominated by tentpole movies usually featuring at least one superhero, he has set his sights on big-budget, non-franchise projects that tell original stories, often helmed by storytellers whose artistic vision may not necessarily be an easy sell. His job is to help strike that fine balance between art and commerce, delivering distinctive movies that still have a shot at box office success.

After all, big-budget spectacle alone is no substitute for sheer talent, and above all, a good script, Lee believes. “You can spend very little on a movie’s budget and still touch an international audience. It’s not undoable. But the chance is slim,” he says. “The size of the audience you want decides the kind of movie you make.”

I CHOOSE PROJECTS WITH MY HEART. THEY DON’T ALWAYS LOOK LIKE OBVIOUS SUCCESSES, BUT AS A SALESMAN, I CAN ONLY SELL THINGS THAT I LOVE
    PHILIP LEE

In the late 1990s, Lee became one of the earliest Hong Kong producers to venture into China’s film industry because he was excited by the untapped potential of the Chinese market. Today, this massive market has become a coveted driver of global box office success for many Hollywood players. But for Lee, “China’s film market today is prosperous, but the industry itself is very different. It may be getting worse compared to 10 or 20 years ago – it’s become too complicated, and directors concern themselves with too many things besides telling a good story.” The technology deployed in Chinese movies may have improved by leaps and bounds, “but for storytelling, I still prefer Farewell My Concubine, To Live and The Blue Kite. That sort of movie is much more exciting to me,” he says.

A scene from The Blue Kite, directed by Tian Zhuangzhuang

“In the past few years, movies that have been successful in China have been mostly comedies, which has always been a genre that does not travel easily. These may be entertaining for Chinese audiences, but they are not that appealing for an international audience.”

Indeed, few contemporary Chinese filmmakers have attracted international acclaim the way Chen Kaige, Zhang Yimou and Ang Lee did with their arthouse movies in the 1990s. Lee says he has been “looking around, but so far, from the younger generation, there are not that many that I can find”. He does, however, want to bring some attention to more established names who have not yet had their global breakthrough. One of these is Tsui Hark. “I still think he is a very exciting director, and I want to find an opportunity to work with him. We just need the right script.”

Another filmmaker on his wishlist is Wong Kar-wai, who made his English-language debut in 2007 with My Blueberry Nights.

Norah Jones in My Blueberry Nights, directed by Wong Kar-wai

“A lot of people think that’s not a very good movie, but personally I like it. I think it’s very romantic, very sexy. I love all his movies,” Lee says. “Would I have had the courage to work with him before? No. But now, yes. I love a challenge. Are there good directors who are easy to work with? I think that doesn’t exist. All have their difficulties, in different forms. Sometimes you think, life is too short. But on the other hand, if after all the hard work, you can create a movie everyone is proud of, why not?”
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tune in tonight - I'm in the War Room again

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another Netflixer

OCTOBER 27, 2020 6:30am PT by Lesley Goldberg
    'Assassin's Creed' Live-Action TV Series in the Works at Netflix

Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation/Photofest
    'Assassin's Creed'

Under the deal with Ubisoft, the streamer will also develop other live-action, animated and anime series based on the iconic video game franchise.

Another massive video game franchise is getting the TV treatment.

Netflix and Ubisoft are teaming to bring Assassin's Creed to television and will develop a slate of properties based on the best-selling game. The first project under the pact is a live-action, genre-bending adaptation of the game. A search is under way for a showrunner for the project, which is currently in the development stages.

The deal for Assassin's Creed will also see Netflix and Ubisoft mine the game's trove of stories for other live-action, animated and anime series based on the global franchise.

"For more than 10 years, millions of fans around the world have helped shape the Assassin’s Creed brand into an iconic franchise," said Jason Altman, head of Ubisoft Film and Television Los Angeles. “We’re thrilled to create an Assassin’s Creed series with Netflix and we look forward to developing the next saga in the Assassin’s Creed universe."

Assassin's Creed joins The Witcher and Resident Evil as games-turned-TV franchises at Netflix as the streamer continues to look for IP with an international reach. The Witcher, for example, is already an international hit and the streamer is also prepping a prequel spinoff of the Henry Cavill drama.

"We’re excited to partner with Ubisoft and bring to life the rich, multilayered storytelling that Assassin’s Creed is beloved for,” said Peter Friedlander, vp originals at Netflix. “From its breathtaking historical worlds and massive global appeal as one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time, we are committed to carefully crafting epic and thrilling entertainment based on this distinct IP and provide a deeper dive for fans and our members around the world to enjoy."

Since launching in 2007, the Assassin's Creed series, which comprises 11 games to date, has sold more than 155 million games worldwide and ranks as one of the best-selling series in video game history. The franchise has already been adapted for the big screen, with the 2016 feature starring Michael Fassbender. The film grossed $240 million worldwide (on a budget of $125 million). It has led to a series of books and other merchandising as it became a global phenomenon.

News of a Netflix deal for Assassin's Creed first surfaced in 2016, when the two companies initially began conversations for a series. A year later, Adi Shankar said he'd be creating the show — which he revealed would be an anime series. Nothing became of either project.

For its part, Ubisoft's film and TV division counts Apple's Mythic Quest, Netflix feature Tom Clancy's The Division, Lionsgate's Rabbids and Screen Gems' Just Dance, among others.

The news comes as Netflix is in the midst of a restructuring under newly installed global TV head Bela Bajaria, who is increasingly prioritizing originals with global appeal as the streamer seeks further international growth for its subscriber base as U.S. sign-ups have stalled.

News of the Assassin's Creed TV franchise coming to Netflix comes two months after the streamer closed a months-long deal to bring Capcom's Resident Evil game to television. It's also worth noting that Showtime has spent years prepping a live-action TV take on best-selling game Halo.

LESLEY GOLDBERG
    Lesley.Goldberg@THR.com
    Snoodit
    I'm not clear on what the exact difference is between an animated series and an anime is. Anyone? The web has a lot of differing answers...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Looking forward to watching a new live action series from Creed developers on Netflix. * My understanding of the differences in live action , animated, and anime is : animated is CGI like in RPG video games and anime is CGI enhanced cartoon format. All 3 forms of movie production use live action modeling to create story-board scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Looking forward to watching a new live action series from Creed developers on Netflix. * My understanding of the differences in live action , animated, and anime is : animated is CGI like in RPG video games and anime is CGI enhanced cartoon format. All 3 forms of movie production use live action modeling to create story-board scenes.
    That may be specific to this case, but anime can also be either 2D or 3D...

PalmStriker & YinOrYan

Do you think anime has to be of Japanese origin? If not, what are some non-Japanese animes?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Netflix Redemption

Infamous Michael Fassbender Box Office Bomb Becomes Worldwide Hit 7 Years Later On Streaming
    BY BRENNAN KLEIN
    PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO
    A Michael Fassbender movie from 2016 that famously didn't make its budget back at the box office finds a new life once it starts streaming on Netflix.

The Michael Fassbender flop Assassin's Creed has found a new life on Netflix. The movie, which is adapted from the video game franchise of the same name, premiered in 2016 and stars Fassbender as Callum Lynch, a death row inmate who discovers that he is a descendant of the assassin Aguilar and is given the ability to relive his memories. The movie, which cost $250 million before factoring in marketing, only made $240.7 million at the worldwide box office.

Per Netflix, the Assassin's Creed movie has joined the Top 10 titles on their global English-language movie chart. Even though it isn't streaming in the United States, it has hit the Top 10 in 41 different territories and amassed 5,400,000 viewing hours, placing it at No. 5 on the chart. It landed even higher than the new Jennifer Lopez action movie The Mother, which launched in May.

Netflix Has Proven Their Power To Create Hits From Older Movies

Netflix has recently been fighting to maintain their reputation as the top streaming platform. After losing subscribers for the first quarter in many years in 2022, they have radically reshifted their structure. Netflix cracked down on password sharing and introduced an ad-supported tier. However, results like the Assassin's Creed viewership numbers show they still have the power to shape what people are watching.

In fact, Assassin's Creed isn't the first Fassbender flop to do well on the streaming service. 2017's The Snowman recently took No. 1 on the movie chart despite barely scraping together its production budget during its original run. The fact that it was new to Netflix, however, overcame its past box office history as well as its dismal reputation and 6 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's possible that Assassin's Creed could rise even further up the chart if The Snowman's performance is any indication. It could also get a huge boost if its availability is more directly tied to Netflix's Assassin's Creed series. The upcoming project is likely the reason the movie joined the platform in the first place, so if big news from that project drops soon, it could become an even bigger online smash.
    https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum...sassin-s-Creed
    Assassin%92s-Creed-Netflix-Series
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jeb Stuart

‘Assassin’s Creed’ Netflix Series Taps ‘Die Hard’ Writer to Adapt
    Jeb Stuart will take on the live-action project based on the mega-selling video game franchise.

BY RICK PORTER

JUNE 14, 2021 2:49PM

'Assassin's Creed: Valhalla' UBISOFT

Netflix’s live-action adaptation of the Assassin’s Creed video game franchise has found a writer.

Jeb Stuart (Die Hard, The Fugitive) has been tapped to pen the project, which will take on the sprawling world of the mega-selling video game franchise. The streamer and game publisher Ubisoft announced the project in October 2020.

Netflix declined comment.

Assassin’s Creed is a further step into development based on video game IP at Netflix, which also has breakout hit The Witcher and has ordered a Resident Evil series as well. The move also fits into the company’s strategy under global TV chief Bela Bajaria to seek out properties with worldwide appeal.

The Assassin’s Creed series, which launched in 2007, now spans 11 games and has sold some 155 million copies worldwide. It was previously adapted for a 2016 feature film starring Michael Fassbender, which grossed $240 million worldwide against a $125 million budget.

Netflix and Ubisoft have been discussing an Assassin’s Creed series as far back as 2016. The partnership between the two companies also calls for development of other properties based on the game, which centers on the time-hopping war between two secret societies, the Assassins and Templars.

Stuart’s attachment to the Netflix project will also deepen his relationship with the streamer, where he also created animated limited series The Liberator and the upcoming Vikings: Valhalla, a spinoff of the History Channel drama. He is repped by UTA and Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment.

Variety first reported the news.
    I copied Assassin%92s-Creed-Netflix-Series into its own indie thread, separate from our earlier Assassin-s-Creed thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips