Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assassin's Creed

Another Netflixer

OCTOBER 27, 2020 6:30am PT by Lesley Goldberg
    'Assassin's Creed' Live-Action TV Series in the Works at Netflix

Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation/Photofest
    'Assassin's Creed'

Under the deal with Ubisoft, the streamer will also develop other live-action, animated and anime series based on the iconic video game franchise.

Another massive video game franchise is getting the TV treatment.

Netflix and Ubisoft are teaming to bring Assassin's Creed to television and will develop a slate of properties based on the best-selling game. The first project under the pact is a live-action, genre-bending adaptation of the game. A search is under way for a showrunner for the project, which is currently in the development stages.

The deal for Assassin's Creed will also see Netflix and Ubisoft mine the game's trove of stories for other live-action, animated and anime series based on the global franchise.

"For more than 10 years, millions of fans around the world have helped shape the Assassin’s Creed brand into an iconic franchise," said Jason Altman, head of Ubisoft Film and Television Los Angeles. “We’re thrilled to create an Assassin’s Creed series with Netflix and we look forward to developing the next saga in the Assassin’s Creed universe."

Assassin's Creed joins The Witcher and Resident Evil as games-turned-TV franchises at Netflix as the streamer continues to look for IP with an international reach. The Witcher, for example, is already an international hit and the streamer is also prepping a prequel spinoff of the Henry Cavill drama.

"We’re excited to partner with Ubisoft and bring to life the rich, multilayered storytelling that Assassin’s Creed is beloved for,” said Peter Friedlander, vp originals at Netflix. “From its breathtaking historical worlds and massive global appeal as one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time, we are committed to carefully crafting epic and thrilling entertainment based on this distinct IP and provide a deeper dive for fans and our members around the world to enjoy."

Since launching in 2007, the Assassin's Creed series, which comprises 11 games to date, has sold more than 155 million games worldwide and ranks as one of the best-selling series in video game history. The franchise has already been adapted for the big screen, with the 2016 feature starring Michael Fassbender. The film grossed $240 million worldwide (on a budget of $125 million). It has led to a series of books and other merchandising as it became a global phenomenon.

News of a Netflix deal for Assassin's Creed first surfaced in 2016, when the two companies initially began conversations for a series. A year later, Adi Shankar said he'd be creating the show — which he revealed would be an anime series. Nothing became of either project.

For its part, Ubisoft's film and TV division counts Apple's Mythic Quest, Netflix feature Tom Clancy's The Division, Lionsgate's Rabbids and Screen Gems' Just Dance, among others.

The news comes as Netflix is in the midst of a restructuring under newly installed global TV head Bela Bajaria, who is increasingly prioritizing originals with global appeal as the streamer seeks further international growth for its subscriber base as U.S. sign-ups have stalled.

News of the Assassin's Creed TV franchise coming to Netflix comes two months after the streamer closed a months-long deal to bring Capcom's Resident Evil game to television. It's also worth noting that Showtime has spent years prepping a live-action TV take on best-selling game Halo.

LESLEY GOLDBERG
    Lesley.Goldberg@THR.com
    Snoodit
    I'm not clear on what the exact difference is between an animated series and an anime is. Anyone? The web has a lot of differing answers...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Looking forward to watching a new live action series from Creed developers on Netflix. * My understanding of the differences in live action , animated, and anime is : animated is CGI like in RPG video games and anime is CGI enhanced cartoon format. All 3 forms of movie production use live action modeling to create story-board scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Looking forward to watching a new live action series from Creed developers on Netflix. * My understanding of the differences in live action , animated, and anime is : animated is CGI like in RPG video games and anime is CGI enhanced cartoon format. All 3 forms of movie production use live action modeling to create story-board scenes.
    That may be specific to this case, but anime can also be either 2D or 3D...

PalmStriker & YinOrYan

Do you think anime has to be of Japanese origin? If not, what are some non-Japanese animes?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hey, Gene! YinOrYan is correct about the nature of anime. Anime can be more like manga or comics in general, when things start looking very dimensional or optic the art imagery will pass into the perimeters of a different visual format. To answer your question about other people into producing Anime besides the Japanese, I'm not sure, these days as I haven't been watching out for the type: action/adventure that I prefer, although I recently binge-watched an anime series that I really liked.* I'll look back in the Netflix library and post it when I find it. When my son was young we would watch a good bit of anime (rent to watch at home, back then). The stuff I am usually drawn to is usually produced by Japanese animators but not necessarily, with cast, storyline or scenery in an Asian environment. If it is, I like that also.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-28-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Maybe we need an anime thread?

I suppose Anime-Help and Martial-arts-in-Anime are decent anime threads.

Would you consider AtLA and Korra anime?

Mind you, I do have my own opinions on what defines anime - I've been watching anime since I was a kid but I confess that I haven't kept up with it that much over the past two decades. My kid got me into some fresh ones like SAO and Fairy Tail. I just watched Memories (1995) a few days ago which I enjoyed - particularly the first of the three sci-fi short stories. I'm just trying to get a handle on how it is perceived with y'all, ya know?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Do you think anime has to be of Japanese origin? If not, what are some non-Japanese animes?
    Its mostly Japanese companies that put money into it, but I noticed at Anime Expo this year that Warner Bros has an anime division. Most anime characters have big eyes that's part of Kawaii (cute) style and very well may be of Western origin...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Would you consider AtLA and Korra anime?
    Yes and No.

Jeb Stuart

‘Assassin’s Creed’ Netflix Series Taps ‘Die Hard’ Writer to Adapt
    Jeb Stuart will take on the live-action project based on the mega-selling video game franchise.

BY RICK PORTER

JUNE 14, 2021 2:49PM

'Assassin's Creed: Valhalla' UBISOFT

Netflix’s live-action adaptation of the Assassin’s Creed video game franchise has found a writer.

Jeb Stuart (Die Hard, The Fugitive) has been tapped to pen the project, which will take on the sprawling world of the mega-selling video game franchise. The streamer and game publisher Ubisoft announced the project in October 2020.

Netflix declined comment.

Assassin’s Creed is a further step into development based on video game IP at Netflix, which also has breakout hit The Witcher and has ordered a Resident Evil series as well. The move also fits into the company’s strategy under global TV chief Bela Bajaria to seek out properties with worldwide appeal.

The Assassin’s Creed series, which launched in 2007, now spans 11 games and has sold some 155 million copies worldwide. It was previously adapted for a 2016 feature film starring Michael Fassbender, which grossed $240 million worldwide against a $125 million budget.

Netflix and Ubisoft have been discussing an Assassin’s Creed series as far back as 2016. The partnership between the two companies also calls for development of other properties based on the game, which centers on the time-hopping war between two secret societies, the Assassins and Templars.

Stuart’s attachment to the Netflix project will also deepen his relationship with the streamer, where he also created animated limited series The Liberator and the upcoming Vikings: Valhalla, a spinoff of the History Channel drama. He is repped by UTA and Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment.

Variety first reported the news.
    I copied Assassin%92s-Creed-Netflix-Series into its own indie thread, separate from our earlier Assassin-s-Creed thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Netflix Redemption

Infamous Michael Fassbender Box Office Bomb Becomes Worldwide Hit 7 Years Later On Streaming
    BY BRENNAN KLEIN
    PUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO
    A Michael Fassbender movie from 2016 that famously didn't make its budget back at the box office finds a new life once it starts streaming on Netflix.

The Michael Fassbender flop Assassin's Creed has found a new life on Netflix. The movie, which is adapted from the video game franchise of the same name, premiered in 2016 and stars Fassbender as Callum Lynch, a death row inmate who discovers that he is a descendant of the assassin Aguilar and is given the ability to relive his memories. The movie, which cost $250 million before factoring in marketing, only made $240.7 million at the worldwide box office.

Per Netflix, the Assassin's Creed movie has joined the Top 10 titles on their global English-language movie chart. Even though it isn't streaming in the United States, it has hit the Top 10 in 41 different territories and amassed 5,400,000 viewing hours, placing it at No. 5 on the chart. It landed even higher than the new Jennifer Lopez action movie The Mother, which launched in May.

Netflix Has Proven Their Power To Create Hits From Older Movies

Netflix has recently been fighting to maintain their reputation as the top streaming platform. After losing subscribers for the first quarter in many years in 2022, they have radically reshifted their structure. Netflix cracked down on password sharing and introduced an ad-supported tier. However, results like the Assassin's Creed viewership numbers show they still have the power to shape what people are watching.

In fact, Assassin's Creed isn't the first Fassbender flop to do well on the streaming service. 2017's The Snowman recently took No. 1 on the movie chart despite barely scraping together its production budget during its original run. The fact that it was new to Netflix, however, overcame its past box office history as well as its dismal reputation and 6 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's possible that Assassin's Creed could rise even further up the chart if The Snowman's performance is any indication. It could also get a huge boost if its availability is more directly tied to Netflix's Assassin's Creed series. The upcoming project is likely the reason the movie joined the platform in the first place, so if big news from that project drops soon, it could become an even bigger online smash.
    https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum...sassin-s-Creed
    Assassin%92s-Creed-Netflix-Series
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips