Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese Superman Kenan Kong

Interview with Gene Yang

Gene Yang Said ‘No’ When DC Comics First Asked Him to Write a Chinese Superman
    Evan Narcisse Today 3:00pm

The award-winning cartoonist and writer had one answer when DC Comics brought up the idea of a Far Eastern version of Superman: “There’s no way I want to do that.”

In creations like American Born Chinese, Boxers & Saints, and Level Up, Gene Luen Yang’s written and drawn very insightful comics work about Chinese culture and Asian-American identity. (He’s also taught computer coding and has a new young-adult graphic novel called Secret Coders, which serves as an intro to coding for young readers.) Despite the tendency to explore identity in his craft, Yang wasn’t sure about doing the same in a character connected to the Man of Steel’s mythos. In the interview below, conducted at Comic-Con, Yang talks about how he came around to approaching the idea of a Chinese version of Superman and how writing helps figure out his own sense of self.

io9: I read New Super-Man #1 and loved it. It seemed like you were riffing on the knock-off idea, like those bootleg action figures that are supposed to be Superman. Was that intentional?

Gene Luen Yang: [laughs] Yeah, yeah. They’re, like, purple and they sell them in packs so it’ll be Ninja Turtles and Thor and Superman! But, yes, it is intentional. We’re going to be hitting that even harder. In two issues, we’re going to be doubling down on that.

You’ve been writing Superman for a while now, going back to the main book. Was the creation of Kenan Kong always a goal you were working on?

Yang: No. It wasn’t my idea to create a Chinese Superman. It was actually Jim Lee’s idea. When they first pitched it to me, I was like “No, I do not want to touch that. There’s no way I want to do that.” Because Superman is like Truth, Justice, and the American Way, right? And with modern China, with the nuances of modern Chinese politics and modern Chinese culture, it felt like there was a bunch of landmines.

So what made you decide to go ahead and tap-dance through the landmines?

Yang: I flew down to Burbank and had a meeting with Jim Lee and another meeting with Geoff Johns and the character started forming in my head. He started talking to me and I felt like, “I’ve got to do this.”

Was Kenan a jerk from the beginning?

Yang: He was a jerk from the beginning. One of the inspirations was the jerk Clark Kent. If you read early Clark Kent, that dude was a jerk. He was full of himself; he liked telling people what they were doing wrong. Eventually he progresses to what we know today. We want this New Super-Man to go through that same character arc.

Looking back on the stuff you wrote with the actual Clark Kent, what were the high points for you? Anything that you were proud that you were able to do?

Yang: I was really happy that they let me bring him to Oakland!

The wrestling stuff was great!

Yang: Oh, thank you! There’s actually a real underground wrestling ring in Oakland. And it’s so Oakland, y’know? It’s violent and brash and artistic. And putting him in a wrestling ring was my bid to try and bring back in the red underwear. I wanted to put him in a situation where I could bring back the red underwear and it would make sense but that didn’t happen.

I’m sure old-school fans will at least appreciate the intent there. Pulling back to your work as a whole, it seems like the core continuing theme is this clash between Chinese culture and the West. You explore what happens when they impact each other on a personal level and a societal level. Why do you keep on revisiting that in your work?

Yang: I think it’s such a core part of who I am. I think anybody who grows up in a minority community, you learn to code-switch. You learn to act one way with your family and you act another way [in other situations]. You learn to manage expectations from multiple angles. When you’re a kid, it’s just subconscious. You just kind of do it because that’s how you survive.

But there’s all these weird consequences of that. It impacts the way you see yourself; it impacts your self-confidence. It impacts what you think is possible in your life, y’know? I think becoming conscious of that was a huge part of me being able to find my place in the world. And I think I’m still trying to figure that out. A lot of waiting is self-therapy. I write about stuff to figure it out.

I have a kid and being a parent makes me think about that kind of thing in a different way. She’s bi-racial, and we want her to know that she comes from different histories that are rich and have their own treasures, which you won’t necessarily learn living here in this modern society. I’m glad that your work is out here in that way.

Yang: Jeff Yang talks about how culture is like water in a bucket and when you try to pass it on to your kids, you always lose a little bit of that water. And there’s a mourning that happens when those spills happen.

You have to reconfigure things to preserve what you can.

Yang: Yeah, you just gotta try to do the best you can.

Back to comics: you’re setting up a Justice League of China in New Super-Man. People are already asking if DC’s other Chinese super-team The Great Ten is going to show up. And has anybody in China reacted to New Super-Man yet?

Yang: To answer that last question first, I have had some reaction from people in mainland China. I mean, it’s Twitter so who knows? [laughs] But it seems like they’re in mainland China and it does seem like there’s a cautious optimism about this character. Which is how I feel, too. I feel cautiously optimistic. In terms of The Great Ten, they’re definitely going to have a presence in the book. They have to, right?
    So has anyone here read this yet?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jerk

DC Comics’ New Super-Man is a Jerk, but Gene Yang is Trying to Fix That
    SPOILER WARNING: This article contains major spoilers for “New Super-Man” #3, available now.

Kenan Kong – the headlining superhero of DC Comics‘ “New Super-Man” – is completely self-absorbed, power hungry and basically a jerk. What’s not to love?

Well, lots, to be honest. But writer Gene Luen Yang tells CBR that Kenan’s super-heroic journey will be one of self-discovery and enlightenment, as well as an exploration of the old and the new – the yin and the yang – of Chinese culture. That may seem a bit superheavy for a mainstream superhero comic, but Yang, who won an Eisner Award in 2007 for his epic graphic novel “American Born Chinese,” is a modern master of delivering action and drama with an emphasis on personal growth and identity.

Yang also shared in-depth analysis of how Kenan’s humble beginnings as a superhero echo the path of Clark Kent as he was portrayed by Jerry Siegel Joe Shuster in the 1930s and 1940s and why the hyphen in his alter ego’s name, ‘New Super-Man,’ was so important to him, DC Entertainment President & Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee.

With new fantastic foes, illustrated by Viktor Bogdanovic, appearing in every issue, Yang also discussed the role of the Grant Morrison’s Great Ten in “New Super-Man” as well as the Freedom Fighters of China, themselves analogs of Will Eisner’s classic DC Comics creations.

CBR: Is Kenan Kong really more important that Yao Ming?

[Laughs] In his own mind, he is. I would say that the broader world knows that he is not, but in his own mind, he definitely is.

Don’t tell my wife this, but my oldest son is named Clark because, in my mind, Clark Kent basically personifies all that is right with humanity. The same can’t be said for Kenan. Why did you make him, to use Bat-Man and Wonder-Woman of China’s words, a ‘dummy’ that thinks he’s more important than Yao Ming?

The book is about how a young man gets Superman’s powers and how that transforms him physically and also morally. The moral paragon that is Clark Kent is sort of the destination of Kenan Kong. What we are going to be seeing, as the book progresses, is that he eventually gets there.

I have two different inspirations for the selfishness of Kenan Kong. One of them is actually Clark Kent. If you read early, early issues of “Superman” from the late 1930s/early 1940s when he first comes on the scene, he’s kind of a jerk. He’s kind of a ****. [Laughs] He thinks of himself as better than other people. He really likes to beat people up and then sermonize at them. There is one issue where he takes a slumlord and leaves him on a desert island to starve to death. And that’s it. That’s the end. He never goes back for him. That’s what Kenan Kong is like at the beginning.

The second inspiration is a very, very influential Chinese novel called “Journey to the West,” which was written in the 1500s. The main character is the Monkey King. I don’t know if you have heard of him, but in China, he is a big deal. In the beginning of “Journey to the West,” he is also a jerk. He only thinks about himself. He thinks about power. He thinks about getting glory for himself and the whole book is about how he attains spiritual enlightenment, how he becomes a selfless person. As an Asian American, I like seeing resonance between Western and Eastern stories, and there is resonance when you look at the stories with Clark Kent from the 1940s and the Monkey King. That’s kind of what I wanted to reflect in “New Super-Man.”

What do you think a Chinese Superman means to people in China, and Asian Americans? Is “New Super-Man” even available in China?

I don’t know if the book is officially available in China but I have had some Twitter feedback from some people who I think are in China, but you never know with Twitter. [Laughs] It could be some German dude pretending he’s from China.

But honestly, pretty much all of the feedback that I have received has been pretty positive, from both Asian Americans and Chinese readers. I haven’t had a ton from Chinese readers, but from Asian Americans, a lot of them seem to really like the book.

I have a nerdy, grammatical punctuation question for you. Why is ‘Super-Man’ hyphenated in “New Super-Man”?

[Laughs] This is what I gather, because I actually didn’t come up with the hyphen — Geoff Johns liked it. Again, when Superman first came on the scene, the hyphen was there., and Batman had the hyphen, too, and then eventually, the hyphens disappeared. I do like the hyphens, and Geoff wanted to bring them back. Jim Lee wanted an Asian hero within the Superman family, and those two things came together.

I think the hyphen has a very interesting place with Chinese American history. There are actually two major ways of Romanizing Chinese names, and the one that used to be popular is called Wade–Giles. Whenever you took a Chinese word or a Chinese phrase and you brought it into English, you would just have hyphens all over the place. For a real long time, hyphens were just associated with Chinese words written in English.

Now, the more popular way to do it is called pinyin, and that got rid of the hyphen. It’s almost like they were ashamed of the hyphen. I think it’s kind of interesting to have hyphens in book about a Chinese superhero just because, like you said — this is super nerdy — but because of the strange and colorful history of hyphens within English Romanization. I think it’s kind of fun to have it in there.

So I guess Mingming is an example of pinyin. Man, this has turned into grammar lesson! [Laughs].

Yes. That’s actually the name of someone that I knew when I was growing up, and I like it. But yes, in Wade–Giles, it would be capital M ‘Ming’ and then hyphen and then ‘ming.’ And in pinyin, it would be capital M ‘Ming’ and then lower case m ‘ming,’ all one word.

Mingming and her superior, Dr. Omen, work for the Ministry of Self Reliance. While it’s obviously a fictionalized agency, how grounded in reality is it?

The inspiration for the Ministry of Self Reliance is two things. The first is, we wanted a Chinese version of A.R.G.U.S., so it’s definitely rooted more in the DC Universe than it is in actual Chinese politics.

The second thing is that there was this movement in China known as the Self-Strengthening Movement in the late 1800s, when China was really losing a lot of power to Western influences, and this was their response to the West. This is how they responded to Western power, with this movement of self-reliance. In a lot of ways, the Ministry of Self Reliance is the China of the DCU’s response to DCU’s superpowers in the West.

In “New Super-Man” #3, Dr. Omen confronts August General in Iron and openly mocks the Great Ten, saying China has passed them by — they just haven’t realized it yet, and that’s why New Super-Man and the Justice League of China are needed. Why did you create the Justice League of China as opposed to reimagining the pre-existing Great Ten for DC Rebirth?

I really like the Great Ten, and I think they are really interesting characters – they’re fascinating characters, but there are some problematic elements to some of them. The nuances of the characters maybe outweigh the problematic elements. Maybe. But it was given before we started “New Super-Man” that China already had its own super team, namely the Great Ten.

I read the Great Ten bible that Grant Morrison had written, and a lot of it was rooted in bureaucracy. It’s a funny thing, but whenever the Great Ten needs to do something, they have to fill out all of the paperwork. It’s very much how old school Chinese communism worked, but China is changing at such a rapid pace. The way that the Chinese describe it is trying to feel your path along stone in a river. They’re just trying to feel one stone to the next. What they are right now is some kind of weird hybrid between old school Chinese communism and something much more modern.

Within the “New Super-Man” story, the Great Ten represent the old way of doing things – the more standard, Chinese communist government way of doing things. The Ministry of Self Reliance and the Justice League of China represent this hybrid model that I think China is in the midst of figuring out.

In keeping with the exploration of the old versus the new, we also have a really interesting relationship unfolding between Kenan and his father, who, as we have learned, is far more than a simple mechanic.

That’s really the central relationship of the first arc – Kenan and his dad. They really represent the yin and yang of a moral tension. Some people love humans more than humanity, and other people love humanity more than humans. Meaning some people are able to love the concrete people around them, but they could care less about wider society, and other people have and are devoted to a lot of ideals about society, but they have a hard time loving the people who are actually concrete around them.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous post

I would say Kenan is the extreme of the first. He basically just loves the concrete person that he, himself, is. He’s, like, super selfish — at least at the beginning of the story. His father is the exact opposite. His father is completely devoted to ideals to the point that he can’t even spare any sort of emotional energy, even for his own son. American Superman – as he exists in the modern world – represents an ideal that’s in the middle. He cares about concrete people who are not himself. The journey is going to be about how Kenan finds balance between the yin and yang that he and his father represent.

Finally, the final page of “New Super-Man” #3 reveals the latest real threat to Kenan — the Freedom Fighters of China led by the awesome Flying Dragon General. I love their look, and I love their names.

They are obviously inspired by the Freedom Fighters of the DC Universe that were originally created by Will Eisner. Uncle Sam, Phantom Lady, Black Condor, Doll Man – all of them have a Chinese analog, and we’ll show all of them by the end of the story arc. What they represent is valuing ideals over actual, concrete human beings. It’s another part of that yin and yang equation. Kenan is super selfish and only cares about himself. These people care so much about other people that they actually value ideals over actual human beings.

“New Super-Man” #3 by Gene Luen Yang and Viktor Bogdanovic is available now.
    Anyone here read any of these yet?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New Super-Man #4

Review: New Super-Man #4
    October 15th, 2016 | by Kyle King

Review: New Super-Man #4 COMICS 0
    Review of: New Super-Man #4
    Price:Intricate
    Reviewed by: Kyle King
    Rating: 5
    On October 15, 2016
    Last modified:October 15, 2016
    Summary:
    Tightly plotted, beautifully rendered, and increasingly detailed, the fourth chapter featured multiple deceptions yet ultimately produced the truth.

New Super-Man #4 pits the Justice League of China against the Chinese Freedom Fighters. Writer Gene Luen Yang and penciler Viktor Bogdanovic tie together plot threads running through the first three issues in Made in China — Part Four. T. Kyle King, who covers Kryptonians and those with Kryptonian-like powers for ComiConverse, brings you his review.

New Super-Man #4 Review:
    Although Kenan Kong is still adjusting to his newfound role as the Super-Man of the Justice League of China, he is beginning to see the possible consequences of his impulsive actions… but has the brash, rash hero overlooked critical clues about a mystery that threatens to hit him where he lives?

New Super-Man #4 Synopsis:
    As Blue Condor slowly suffocates Super-Man, Flying Dragon General orders Kenan’s teammates to put down their weapons. Wonder-Woman moves to comply, but it is a feint, and she and Bat-Man counterattack. The General forces the Condor to free Kenan, insisting that his threat to kill Super-Man was a bluff. The Justice League saves Shiqiang Zheng, Blue Condor and Ghost Woman are captured and taken to the Crab Shell, and Flying Dragon General escapes after a chastened Kenan makes no move to stop him.

Laney Lan shows up at the Oriental Pearl Tower, where Dr. Omen grants the interview through which she intends to stage-manage the Justice League’s introduction to China. At the Crab Shell, Ghost Woman frees the metahuman colleague she sneaked into the prison, Folding Paper Man, and they together make their escape. As they go, they release teammate Human Firecracker, who shows them the secret weapon of the Ministry of Self-Reliance. Kenan, concerned that his public revelation of his secret identity has put his father in jeopardy, returns home to find a nasty surprise awaiting him.

Credit: DC Comics

New Super-Man #4 Analysis:

Bogdanovic’s imagery, embossed in this issue by Richard Friend’s inks and Hi-Fi’s colors, continues to exhibit the series’ distinctive stylistic signature in Made in China — Part Four. The artist’s multiple full-page splashes in New Super-Man #4 possess the defined lines and confident composition of Jim Lee’s influential work, but with varied and realistic body types instead of preposterous muscularity. At the same time, as the storyline has gotten more serious, Bogdanovic has scaled back some of the manga-influenced whimsical physical exaggerations, giving the lighter moments of the book a less cartoonish look and bringing to Kenan’s facial expressions a previously unseen emotional range that highlights the title character’s growing depth.

The drama also deepened in New Super-Man #4, and that heightened intensity was reflected in the graphics, which contain a number of figures wholly cloaked in shadow who appear as blackened outlines hovering near the gutters between panels and beside the edges of pages. Muted color schemes keep such morally ambiguous characters as Blue Condor, Ghost Woman, Folding Paper Man, and Dr. Omen in literal grey areas, but vibrant hues nevertheless burst forth from Super-Man’s and Flying Dragon General’s primary-colored costumes.

In addition to the bright lights given off by the fights, the action is underscored by Dave Sharpe’s lettering. Onomatopoetic sound effects abound, reverberating across the pages with palpable force and occasional wry wit — as when Super-Man delivers a punch and a kick emphasized by a “POW!” and a “STOMP!”, respectively, and (exquisitely) when Folding Paper Man emerges from hiding with a delightfully deadpan “UNFOLD!”

Such touches exhibit the subtle humor that permeates the interstices of the increasingly menacing developments of New Super-Man #4. The title character’s internal monologue cleverly stresses the overconfident bravado he has embraced in lieu of self-awareness. Kenan’s running banter with Bat-Man comically clarifies the differences that mirror those separating Clark Kent’s and Bruce Wayne’s caped alter egos. The two male heroes’ false macho posturing is punctured by Wonder-Woman when she barges out front where they fear to tread.

Credit: DC Comics

These jokes, while amusing, are not merely silly diversions, though. Yang uses humor to illuminate character, poking fun at the heroes’ boisterous braggadocio prior to unveiling their more introspective selves. Deilan’s confrontational boldness conceals the compassionate friend who later reassures Kenan: “Whatever you need, okay? Just call.” The would-be Super-Man who boasts of his leadership even as he is unable to breathe shortly thereafter declines to delve into his motivation for failing to halt the General’s escape.

The Justice League teammates’ more complex inner lives reflect the many ways in which little truly is as it seems in Made in China — Part Four. The Freedom Fighters’ incarceration in the Crab Shell after being defeated, Dr. Omen’s ostensible openness to Laney’s interloping inquiries, and Kenan’s fear for what Flying Dragon General’s getaway might mean for his father’s safety all are as indicative of artifice as Wonder-Woman’s apparent surrender and are as much bluffs as the General’s threat to slay Super-Man. That pair of first-page deceptions sets the stage for clandestine stratagems — and one hidden metahuman — to unfold throughout New Super-Man #4.

As usual, Yang includes nuances that are easily missed by the inattentive. Folding Paper Man, when savagely attacking a prison guard, jests that he gives “the world’s nastiest paper cuts”; this alludes to the fact that, while origami (which literally means “folding paper”) is a Japanese cultural practice, Chinese papercrafts are distinguishable by their use of paper cutting. Ghost Woman likewise goads Bat-Man by deriding him as “a fifty-center” to emphasize the Freedom Fighters’ opposition to the covert government ministry for which the Justice League works. This small jab hearkens back to the political diatribe Flying Dragon General delivers to Super-Man, which muddies the philosophical waters by raising the questions about truth, justice, and democracy in modern China by which Yang understandably is intrigued. “Flying Dragon General” is even part of the name of a Chinese aviation company, which is itself a callback to a detail from the series’ inaugural issue.

New Super-Man #4 was a rich and rewarding read. As the plotlines converge, the complexities deepen; as the adventure intensifies, the ambiguities multiply; as Kenan Kong grows more comfortable with his powers, he becomes more confused about his responsibilities; as this comic comes to feel more familiar, its cultural milieu appears increasingly distinct. The disparate elements of Made in China — Part Four coexist in harmony, balanced and blended, confirming what the MacArthur Foundation recently certified: New Super-Man is a work of genius.

T. Kyle King is a Contributor to ComiConverse. Follow him on Twitter: @TKyleKing.
    'a work of genius'? I should really check these out someday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips