Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Master Health Condition

Master Health Condition

Isn't a master someone who is in shape until the end of his days. Some will get sick and that I understand however many that I see as they grow older, they are fat or big belly, slow and have hard time walking. Is that a Master for some years until they reach 40 or 50 years old?

Masters come in all shapes and sizes. Master Fan Xu Dong of Seven Star Mantis fame weighed nearly 300 lbs., no lightweight. Don't judge people by the outward appearance.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Mastering weight loss and fitness isn't the same as mastering a pugilistic art or weapons use.

There's no guarantee for how long you'll be here in this world.
    There's no guarantee that you don't have poor genetics and will suffer disease early in life.

But understanding an art form is another thing entirely.

Make the ego small and anyone can teach you a lot.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    Isn't a master someone who is in shape until the end of his days. Some will get sick and that I understand however many that I see as they grow older, they are fat or big belly, slow and have hard time walking. Is that a Master for some years until they reach 40 or 50 years old?
    It depends.

People's bodies and metabolisms are different. And lifestyles. I've seen MANY masters in CMA who have trim-looking physiques (or at least aren't 'fat') but are heavy smokers. And others who are heavy drinkers, which might be amusing in a drunken master movie, but not so much in real life. Can anyone realistically believe that doesn't negatively affect them in spite of their outward appearances? And there are others who are overweight yet live to an old age relatively healthy and spry. I've seen some 'fat-looking' masters who could still move very well.

Yes, there are some MAists who, for whatever reasons, stop training through simple laziness and become pear-shaped and slow. But another reason for that could be the effects of injuries that prevents them from training to their former capabilities. In many instances, that can severely affect one's enthusiasm for practicing at all.

While I personally prefer to be in good shape as I get older, keep in mind that it takes far more discipline than when you're in your teens, 20s and 30s.

This topic comes up every now and then. There seems to be a sense by some martial artists that you have to be in top shape in order to train others in the martial arts. Indeed I felt the same way when I was younger.

Eventually I realized there was a well known female gymnastics coach named Bela Karolyi, a man, who trained many world champion female gymnasts and he never trained on any of the apparatus he trains the women on. He is an old man who is completely out of shape, yet he is a master coach who trains masters of gymnastics.

Being in condition is nice, but it is not necessary in order to master the topic.

Sure, a master can be in shape until the end of his days. But there are many factors that will affect his health as mentioned by other members. Also, when a master reaches 40 to 50 years old, the periodic change of his body kicks in. Hormone secretion will be different. He is going into his next life cycle. Of course, his overall health level will drop significantly, and so then will his MA skill.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Sure, a master can be in shape until the end of his days. But there are many factors that will affect his health as mentioned by other members. Also, when a master reaches 40 to 50 years old, the periodic change of his body kicks in. Hormone secretion will be different. He is going into his next life cycle. Of course, his overall health level will drop significantly, and so then will his MA skill.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    when you get older, your wisdom should be your weapon.

Tricks and treachery go a long way in that regard.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It takes far greater discipline to pick my nearing 60, diabetes-ridden, post heart surgery ass off the couch to train than it did to my young, healthy 20 something body. So, I don't judge myself by what I see in the mirror. I judge myself by the fact that I still train while others are judging from the couch.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    when you get older, your wisdom should be your weapon.

Yep, sometimes we perform better than our young self because we are equipped with better knowledge. We train wiser, fight wiser, and live wiser. That is one big reason why our quality of life gets better than that of our early years.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Yep, sometimes we perform better than our young self because we are equipped with better knowledge. We train wiser, fight wiser, and live wiser. That is one big reason why our quality of life gets better than that of our early years.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    I guess I was not clear in my posting, what I noticed is that many so called "masters" they are in pretty bad shape starting in their 50s. I thought someone who pretend or think is a master, regardless his pugilistic or fighting skills, they end up in good health as they follow cultivating a balanced life to the end of their cycle.

I guess I was not clear in my posting, what I noticed is that many so called "masters" they are in pretty bad shape starting in their 50s. I thought someone who pretend or think is a master, regardless his pugilistic or fighting skills, they end up in good health as they follow cultivating a balanced life to the end of their cycle.
    Maybe you have expectations that are not reasonable when compared to the reality?

Old men typically aren't in good shape per se. Such is life, time passes, we get older, our bodies fail and then we die. Regardless of whatever training we do or whatever food we eat etc. This doesn't mean there is nothing on offer.
    I personally know of several masters of regard that had great skill that died in their mid 60s.

We are, none of us immune to all sorts of debilitating disease and the transformation through time of our bodies.
    Live an easier life if you want to live longer. remove the stresses.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The fact is, some people can do all the right things and still die young from health issues. How many masters (or at least experts) who were in great shape, lived cleanly, and practiced qigong daily have passed away young, like in their 50s or 60s (or younger)? Then there are those who do all the 'wrong things', i.e., smoking; following a diet high in fat, sodium, and sugars; excessive drinking; minimal to no exercise, etc., with NO martial arts or qigong practice, who live long lives with seemingly few health problems. Genetics can and does play a big role, too.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-30-2016 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The fact is, some people can do all the right things and still die young from health issues. How many masters (or at least experts) who were in great shape, lived cleanly, and practiced qigong daily have passed away young, like in their 50s or 60s (or younger)? Then there are those who do all the 'wrong things', i.e., smoking; following a diet high in fat, sodium, and sugars; excessive drinking; minimal to no exercise, etc., with NO martial arts or qigong practice, who live long lives with seemingly few health problems. Genetics can and does play a big role, too.
    Isn't that generalization? I went to the hospital the other day and noticed no vacancies and there still nurses shortage here in Los Angeles, CA, so people get sick not because they led a healthy lifestyle. I have seen many people making the wrong choices, including myself, and indeed they died sooner than expected. I was talking about martial arts masters who end up in bad shape, crippled or big belly not because of genetics but because they don't follow a healthy lifestyle. I don't have stats but the fact that if you care about yourself you have more chances to live longer and in better shape. Common sense, no? It is true there is no guarantee and there are always exceptions. For future generations, they need to learn the cycle of human condition, I guess.

[QUOTE=mig;. For future generations, they need to learn the cycle of human condition, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I have more health problems than in my early years. And I now put more effort to keep myself healthy. Eventually, we cannot keep up, and our health will drop. As healthcare expert said, "We will lose one or both capabilities eventually as we grow old - generation of income and taking care of our daily living."

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong