Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Book Suggestions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kadena AB Okinawa Japan
    Posts
    75

    Book Suggestions

    I haven't been on the forum in quite a while so please forgive me if this has already been talked about.

    I'm building my Wing Chun reference library and was wondering if anybody could give any suggestions for books. I come from the Ip Chun lineage so obviously books from Ip Chun would be ideal as my foundation. I currently have a book on the Foshan wooden dummy form that is in Chinese but it has the pictures. What other books would you suggest?
    My leg being bionic is a reminder that arogance does not come without a price.

    "Keep your skills quiet until it is absolutely necessary to reveal them. And when that time comes, be a divine defender of Buddha." -Gene Ching-... -and "slap them silly."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tainan ,Taiwan
    Posts
    388
    Old Leung Ting's book are pretty good if you disregard a shameless selfpromotion

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,714
    The trouble with Wing Chun books (and other media, for that matter) is that they are generally only useful to the writer's specific lineage. And many are pushing a particular agenda.

    I actually really like the old "Wing Chun Kung Fu" by James Yimm Lee.

    "Complete Wing Chun" by Rene Ritchie, Robert Chu et al is pretty good, though it was something of a political football in its day.

    For my own lineage, William Cheung's "Advanced Wing Chun" is a well produced and accurate presentation of his style (ignore the history section, though that goes for ALL Wing Chun books).

    For learning about self defence Geoff Thompson's books, especially The Fence and Dead or Alive are excellent.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

    WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    "Complete Wing Chun" by Rene Ritchie, Robert Chu et al is pretty good, though it was something of a political football in its day.
    Complete Wing Chun is a great read, but I think its purpose is more to raise awareness that other branches exist outside of Yip Man's lineage. It doesn't really spend much time going in depth about the art itself, which I assume is more along the lines of what OP is looking for.

    OP, Wing Chun Compendium by Wayne Belonoha is supposed to be pretty good. And since you're in Ip Chun's lineage you might want to have a gander at Mastering Wing Chun by Sam Kwok. I personally didn't get much out of it, but it might be of interest to you.
    Last edited by Marnetmar; 06-18-2016 at 11:03 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tainan ,Taiwan
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnetmar View Post
    Complete Wing Chun is a great read, but I think its purpose is more to raise awareness that other branches exist outside of Yip Man's lineage. It doesn't really spend much time going in depth about the art itself, which I assume is more along the lines of what OP is looking for.

    OP, Wing Chun Compendium by Wayne Belonoha is supposed to be pretty good. And since you're in Ip Chun's lineage you might want to have a gander at Mastering Wing Chun by Sam Kwok. I personally didn't get much out of it, but it might be of interest to you.
    Besides Yuen Kai San part the book is complete rubbish

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    Besides Yuen Kai San part the book is complete rubbish
    What makes you say that?

    We don't talk about the Hung Fa Yi part

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tainan ,Taiwan
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnetmar View Post
    What makes you say that?

    We don't talk about the Hung Fa Yi part
    Historical data are loosely based im real events and more or less pure fabrication

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnetmar View Post
    Complete Wing Chun is a great read, but I think its purpose is more to raise awareness that other branches exist outside of Yip Man's lineage. It doesn't really spend much time going in depth about the art itself, which I assume is more along the lines of what OP is looking for.
    I made no such assumption about what the OP is looking for, but that's probably right.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

    WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tainan ,Taiwan
    Posts
    388
    Depends how much money is someone willing to invest in books. The more the better , in every book can be found at least one piece of valuable information ,also large number of documents from different sources allow comparation and verification of the facts , that is actually how most historians do their research but it can be used for other areas of research as well

  10. #10
    The admin deleting my posting on book suggestion , does it means this forum cannot face wck reality? But prefer bias ? Or against me?

    and allow Zuti the one who steal information to propagate whatever Zuti like to twist facts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hendrik; 06-20-2016 at 09:46 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    The admin deleting my posting on book suggestion , does it means this forum cannot face wck reality? But prefer bias ? Or against me?

    and allow Zuti the one who steal information to propagate whatever Zuti like to twist facts?
    I'm not sure "[your] book suggestion" and "[facing] reality" belong in the same sentence.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

    WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dahlonega, GA USA
    Posts
    1,592
    Hello,

    I would agree with Anerlich's suggestions and add the following:

    I have found The Wing Chun Compendium, both volumes to be a nice reference and overview of the system.
    I also like the 3 book series authored by Chao and Weakland-Secret Techniques of Wing Chun.

    Another book I highly recommend although having nothing to do with Wing Chun is Living the Martial Way.
    Peace,

    Dave

    http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    I also like the 3 book series authored by Chao and Weakland-Secret Techniques of Wing Chun.
    Good books!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •