Thread: For Sifu Frank and anyone else from Lau Bun Hung Sing- Questions on Jo Yau Biu Sei

For Sifu Frank and anyone else from Lau Bun Hung Sing- Questions on Jo Yau Biu Sei

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had more information on a unique form to the Lau Bun lineage, Jo Yau Biu Sei (Left Right Shooting Snake). Was it created by Lau Bun? Is it considered a beginner form? Do you learn this form before Siu Mui Fa or Siu Sup Ji for example? I remember Sifu Frank mentioning Cheung Kuen, Sup Ji Kau Da, Ping Kuen, Che Kuen as being foundational sets of the Lau Bun village. How does this one figure?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by taichi4eva View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had more information on a unique form to the Lau Bun lineage, Jo Yau Biu Sei (Left Right Shooting Snake). Was it created by Lau Bun? Is it considered a beginner form? Do you learn this form before Siu Mui Fa or Siu Sup Ji for example? I remember Sifu Frank mentioning Cheung Kuen, Sup Ji Kau Da, Ping Kuen, Che Kuen as being foundational sets of the Lau Bun village. How does this one figure?

Thanks!
    Ask Hendrik, maybe it's the lost snake art responsible for Wing Chun

Blog Entries
    Ask Hendrik, maybe it's the lost snake art responsible for Wing Chun
    leave wing chun comments in the Wing Chun forum.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Re:

in reply to your question, Joy Yau Biu Say is unique to the descendants of the late Master Bing Chan, student of Prof. Lau Bun. It is reported to be choreographed by Bing Chan, so other students of Lau Bun may not have this form. As Grandmaster Salvatera was a student of Bing Chan first before his untimely death, he learned this skill from his Sifu.

After the death of Master Chan he was accepted into the Hung Sing Goon headed by Lau Bun's successor the late Grandmaster Jew Leong. This set is normally taught in the learners beginning years reinforcing basics and adding new concepts and tactics.

When I learned this set it was taught after the traditional first hand form Cheung Kuen. Understand the San Francisco Hung Sing curriculum during times past consist of Cheung Keun, Sup Ji Kau Da, Um Ying Kuen and Elephant Fist. Certain skills from Futsan Hung Sing have been added to the curriculum therefore this branch now offers a wider curriculum of skills.

SF Hung Sing or Futsan Hung Sing its just one family promoting the skills of Choy Lee Fut.
    Last edited by tungmojingjung; 06-21-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Thank you, Sifu Dunwood and Sifu Frank.

Truly, Lau Bun's Sup Ji Kau Da is a great long form. Perhaps Jo Yau Biu Sau was an effort to condense it into a siu sup ji, as Sifu Frank mentioned.

Blog Entries

Because you asked.....

Jo Yau Biu Ser was the creation of the late master Bing Chan (died in 1968), a senior student of Professor Lau Bun and was inspired by Prof. Lau's Sup Ji Kau Da Kuen. it is our lineages version of CLF's Siu Sup Ji Kuen.

In the Old days of our lineage there were FIVE major hand sets taught to the students. Cheung Kuen, Jo Yau Biu Ser, Sup Ji Kau Da Kuen, Five Animals and the Elephant hand forms. Since 2001 after our return from the birth place of our gung fu lineage we picked up more forms. In my club, Jo Yau Biu Ser is taught at the beginning of our intermediate level. This form is the one i used to win forms competitions with. So no, Professor Lau did not create this hand form.

The late master Bing Chan
    FOUNDER OF THE LUP MO KWOON
    HUNG SING CHOY LEE FUT

Name:  12552713_10153559534727732_6764103976457994141_n.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  45.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Jo yau biu ser was indeed inspired by sup ji kau da kuen. Confirmed.

Just out of curiosity is Bing Chan the english way to write his name? Is it actually Chan Bing or was Bing his actual surname?

Blog Entries
    it should be Chan Bing. but they've always called him Bing Chan. American style i guess.

Blog Entries
    BING is his first name.