Thread: Veterinary acupuncture

Hybrid View

Veterinary acupuncture

I thought we had a thread on this but it seems the topic is just posts nested in other threads.

JUNE 12, 2016 1:55 AM
    Acupuncture for pets gaining acceptance
    BY HOLLY HOUGH

When my cat, Neo, was 7 years old, he began scratching and licking open sores on his belly. A blood test revealed he was mildly allergic to pollen, but the strongest reaction was to protein, specifically chicken, turkey and beef.

Initially, heavy doses of steroids were Neo’s only relief, but I purchased cat food made with venison, something he had never eaten. The itching slowly got better and, after a time, I gradually weaned him off the steroid to see if the food change had solved the scratching entirely. Neo’s itching was much less intense than it had been previously, but he still scratched. My vet put him back on a lower dose of steroids, but I was concerned about the long-term side effects.

After some Internet research, I decided to try acupuncture. Neo had four or five sessions over several months, but after each one, the itching improved. Eventually, I was able to take him off of the steroids entirely.

Bernard Glassman and his wife, Barbara, of Chapel Hill adopted Tofu, their yellow lab, when she was just a puppy. At 11 years old, Tofu was diagnosed with a condition that resulted in a growth on her spine. They were told that she might have six months to live and the pain would likely be too great to justify keeping her alive.

Tofu could no longer walk up the steps of their home and Bernard and Barbara considered putting her on painkillers, but, like me, they were concerned about side effects. The vet who diagnosed Tofu suggested acupuncture and, even though it seemed like a lot of hoodoo to him at the time, Bernard called a qualified vet.

At the first session, Bernard held Tofu and watched her relax and eventually sleep with the needles sticking out of her fur. “All I know is that, once Tofu was getting the acupuncture, she moved more easily,” said Glassman. “After one treatment, she walked up the stairs after at least a month of barely being able to get up a curb.”

Tofu received regular acupuncture until she passed, which was five years beyond her diagnosis.

According to Bernard, “We gave Tofu a pill for pain on occasion, but I feel that acupuncture saved her.”

Not every story is as dramatic as Tofu’s, but fortunately for our animal companions, acupuncture can be used to treat dogs and cats supportively for pretty much anything.

ALL I KNOW IS THAT, ONCE TOFU WAS GETTING THE ACUPUNCTURE, SHE MOVED MORE EASILY.
    Owner Bernard Glassman

Michelle Droke, DVM, of Cole Park Veterinary Hospital says: “The most common things we treat and probably have the most success treating are arthritis, leg pain, back pain, and neck pain. We also use acupuncture in patients that have various diseases like cancer, for example. We’re not necessarily going to cure their cancer, but we can help treat nausea and pain associated with the cancer. We can also try to support the immune system to slow the progression of the cancer and help with energy level.”

Acupuncture is also used to help treat seizure disorders, which can result in fewer seizures and decreased medication.

“A lot of the drugs we use have potential side effects and acupuncture really doesn’t, so it’s a nice, safe thing we can try to support our patients,” says Droke.

The basic principle behind acupuncture is that accessing specified energy points in the body stimulates the central nervous system, which, helps to increase the flow of qi, or life energy. When acupuncture needles are inserted at these points, feel-good hormones, or endorphins, are released, which not only ease physical pain but also promote relaxation.

Dr. Droke indicates, however, that not every animal is helped by acupuncture. Just like humans, some animals respond and some do not. And, just like humans, there are patients that simply don’t like acupuncture.

“Some dogs try to bite us and it ends up being more stressful than helpful to try to put the needles in, and the same is true with some cats. We are limited a little bit by a patient’s disposition.”

A growing number of veterinarians are trained in acupuncture and the American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture (www.aava.org) offers a searchable database of certified veterinary acupuncturists across the country. Please seek the advice of your veterinarian if you are interested inacupuncture for a four-legged friend.

Holly Hough, Ph.D., works with the Clergy Health Initiative at the Duke Divinity School. You can contact and follow her at facebook.com/drhollyhough.
    We did run a tiny news piece on veterinary acupuncture - that must have been around the turn of the millennium. We did it because my cat got some acupuncture and our editor at the time was a cat person. Maybe I'll dig it up at some later date and post it here, should this thread grow.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More pet acupuncture...

Does Your Dog Need Animal Acupuncture? This NYC Vet Thinks So
    You've heard of Xanax for dogs, but have you ever considered acupuncture for your pets?
    By Margaret Abrams • 06/30/16 3:32pm

Dr. Rachel Barrack and friends. (Photo: Courtesy Dr. Rachel Barrack)

You’ve heard of Xanax for dogs, but have you ever considered acupuncture for your pets? Dr. Rachel Barrack of Animal Acupuncture is a licensed vet based right here in New York, and she’s more than ready to stick tiny needles in your prized pets. Dr. Barrack is certified in both veterinary acupuncture and Chinese herbology, so it’s the best of both worlds.

Dr. Barrack offers house calls for pets ranging from dogs and cats to show horses (just in case you keep one in your townhouse). She promises her services alleviate chronic pain and help with behavioral issues. She works closely with Instagram stars, including Toast Meets World, who’s the author of ToastHampton, and her siblings Muppet and Pants, as well as their fellow Insta stars Ella Bean and Louis Reginald. Don’t worry; she can administer acupuncture on regular dogs, too. The Observer spoke to Dr. Barrack to find out whose animal qualifies for an acupuncture treatment–and why even she was skeptical at first.

This dog looks none too happy about his procedure. (Photo: Jason Hall)

How did you first learn about animal acupuncture? I previously worked full time at the Belmont and Aqueduct racetracks where I was faced with a challenging case. This particular horse had an unusual lameness that would not resolve with extended rest or western treatment. I heard that acupuncture could help, so although skeptical, I figured why not give it a shot. I reached out to another colleague who was a certified veterinary acupuncturist and shortly after being treated, my patient was able to make a full recovery and eventually returned to racing. I was also treating a cat suffering from advanced cancer. Although this cat was receiving palliative western therapy, his owner was looking for something else to make him more comfortable. I watched as another colleague utilized acupuncture and Chinese herbal therapy to help better the remainder of this cat’s life.

When did you start practicing? I was so intrigued that I began studying under Dr. Xie of the Chi Institute in Gainseville, Florida. Once I began incorporating acupuncture into my veterinary repertoire, my practice of medicine was forever changed. I now offer an integrative approach to veterinary medicine.

If the pet owner hasn’t experienced acupuncture, do you suggest they try it first? I can understand being skeptical of acupuncture initially, even I was before I fully understood how it works and saw firsthand the incredible benefits of this practice. Although relatively new in the Western world, acupuncture has been the mainstay of Chinese medicine for thousands of years. The needles are so tiny that they cause minimal discomfort to your pet and have the potential to be life changing. Many animals find the process so relaxing they fall asleep during treatment. You may want to explore this for yourself with a human acupuncturist.

What’s your process when you’re working with someone’s pet for the first time? How do you figure out what’s ailing them? On the first visit, I take a full health history of your animal. Then, I perform a detailed conventional (western) physical exam as well as a traditional Chinese veterinary medical examination. This enables me to determine what their ailment is and how best to treat it. Recommended treatments may include acupuncture and/or Chinese herbals exclusively, or a combination of eastern and western therapies.

Instagram famous dog Toast. (Photo: Animal Acupuncture)

Have animals ever had bad reactions? My practice is mobile, so it’s less stressful on my patients when they are treated in their own homes (or barns). I also move very slowly and always take a less is more approach. Additionally, I begin all acupuncture sessions by selecting a few calming acupuncture points to help my patients feel relaxed. Some animals may experience minor discomfort when needles are being inserted, but the needles are so thin that most patients tolerate them very well.

What’s the most unusual animal you’ve administered acupuncture on? I administer acupuncture on horses, dogs and cats. However, while in veterinary school, I spent some time in South Africa and worked with rhinoceros, zebras and giraffes.

How do you know if your pet needs, or qualifies for, acupuncture? Acupuncture produces a physiological response by inserting thin, sterile, stainless steel needles into specific points on the body. Most acupuncture points are located along 14 major channels, which form a network that carries blood and energy throughout the entire body. It can provide pain relief, stimulate the immune and nervous systems, increase microcirculation, and decrease inflammation. Acupuncture can also help restore balance between organ systems for optimal health and overall wellbeing. Some common veterinary applications include behavioral issues, post-operative healing, degenerative joint disease and muscle soreness. Acupuncture can also be used to provide the best possible quality of life for animals on palliative care.
    Wait, did she imply she's done acupuncture on a rhino? Because that is something I would like to see.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Wait, did she imply she's done acupuncture on a rhino? Because that is something I would like to see.
    With what? Railroad stakes?

I find it amazing that a practice that has failed for 1500 years to produce objective evidence for its efficacy is even given consideration in the treatment of organisms that can't even communicate anecdotal effect.

Clearly there are some who are unable to consider something outside their rigid mental paradigms. Animals, however do not suffer from this and correspondingly seem to benefit quickly from acupuncture treatment. I have seen these effects first hand several times and can testify to the relative veracity of these claims. Furthermore, animal subjects used in acupuncture research almost always show measurable effect from treatment - because a rat cannot give an answer to "how are you feeling now?", these effects are usually measured by changes in neurotransmitters and inflammatory cytokines. How does the placebo effect work on rats with a shaved hindquarter getting poked with a needle?

I believe it is actually the human mind that blocks the effect of acupuncture creating a "nocebo" effect. Expectations can literally block the effect of pharmacological anesthesia, just as psychological trauma can lead to physical disease states.

peace

herb ox

Veterinary acupuncture is an ancient part of traditional Chinese medicine. Back in Taiwan in the health supply stores you would see the acupuncture models of humans---but also dogs, pigs, cattle and horses. Coming up to modern times, here in California vets can do animal acupuncture after attending a set of classes and passing the exam. One of the guys here at work routinely takes his dogs in for acupuncture for their various orthopedic problems. It seems to work great and the dogs don't freak out when getting the treatments. The school where my wife studied traditional Chinese medicine (Pacific College of Oriental Medicine) I think is going to start offering courses in veterinary acupuncture.

take care,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kennedy View Post
    Veterinary acupuncture is an ancient part of traditional Chinese medicine. Back in Taiwan in the health supply stores you would see the acupuncture models of humans---but also dogs, pigs, cattle and horses. Coming up to modern times, here in California vets can do animal acupuncture after attending a set of classes and passing the exam. One of the guys here at work routinely takes his dogs in for acupuncture for their various orthopedic problems. It seems to work great and the dogs don't freak out when getting the treatments. The school where my wife studied traditional Chinese medicine (Pacific College of Oriental Medicine) I think is going to start offering courses in veterinary acupuncture.

take care,
    Brian
    Thanks for chiming in, Brian! Yes, CM has a fairly well established modern history of working with animals. That's great to hear PCOM will be offering veterinary acupuncture!

cheers,

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    Clearly there are some who are unable to consider something outside their rigid mental paradigms. Animals, however do not suffer from this and correspondingly seem to benefit quickly from acupuncture treatment. I have seen these effects first hand several times and can testify to the relative veracity of these claims. Furthermore, animal subjects used in acupuncture research almost always show measurable effect from treatment - because a rat cannot give an answer to "how are you feeling now?", these effects are usually measured by changes in neurotransmitters and inflammatory cytokines. How does the placebo effect work on rats with a shaved hindquarter getting poked with a needle?

I believe it is actually the human mind that blocks the effect of acupuncture creating a "nocebo" effect. Expectations can literally block the effect of pharmacological anesthesia, just as psychological trauma can lead to physical disease states.

peace

herb ox
    Considering I've now spent the last 4 years doing formal work on animal behavior, in addition to the previous cancer research, etc., which means I also need to have some fucking clue about comparative physiology and neurobiology, I'm quite confident in my ability to say you don't know wtf you're talking about.

But hey, keep bitching like a punk about people with "rigid mental paradigms." Esp when those people have formal degrees in an actual science, previous experience in health care, given peer reviewed talks on medical research, and hold graduate level research in behavioral science and ecological science. Meanwhile, you've sat around playing with fucking needles and are too fucking scared to look objectively at the reality that you've been wasting a good chunk of your energy and time. But I'M the one with a "rigid mental paradigm." Yeah you don't look like an ignorant twat at all...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Yeah you don't look like an ignorant twat at all...
    It seems you are the one being needled here, SoCo... I don't often encounter others on this forum who spout such hostility and err logically while logically debunking anyone who has something to share that you disagree with. I don't particularly care for your tone, sir - if you can't be at least somewhat congenial with your communications, then I suggest you find somewhere else to take out your frustrations.