Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veterinary acupuncture

Small-animal acupuncture

Acupuncture can control a pet's pain, extend life
    By Tommy Martino, via AP Marketplace 7 hrs ago

In this April 5, 2018 photo, Dr. Lindsey Rewinkel, a 2013 graduate of the veterinary school at Washington State University poses for a photo in Stevensville, Mont. Small-animal acupuncture, including the “e-stim” electrical current is a pain treatment option that’s not readily available in western Montana.
    Tommy Martino/The Missoulian via AP

The dachshund was panting in agitation when it came into Sapphire Animal Hospital in spring.

Like many wiener dogs, especially as they age, he suffered from severe neck pain. Dr. Lindsey Rewinkel was ready with a needle.

“The second I start the treatment, he falls asleep,” she said. “The relief is that immediate.”

Small-animal acupuncture, including the “e-stim” electrical current that Rewinkel used for the dachshund, is a pain treatment option that’s not readily available in western Montana. In fact, since the retirement last year of a Missoula veterinarian, the 32-year-old Rewinkel is one of just a handful of certified animal acupuncturists living in the Bitterroot-Missoula-Blackfoot area. And she’s been practicing it since only last fall.

A 2013 graduate of vet school at Washington State University, Rewinkel cut her teeth in the business at Pruyn Veterinary Hospital in Missoula.

“I spent four years in a very busy referral center in Missoula and just got an amazing amount of experience and exposure to a variety of conditions and needs that patients had,” Rewinkel said. “I gravitated toward animals that were needing hospice care and comfort care later in life and, honestly, with western medicine we’re limited a bit with how many tools we have in our tool box to make them feel better.”

Dr. Jenny Elwell-Gerken of Utah, who bought Sapphire Animal Hospital in January 2015, offered the answer: a blend of approaches to animal doctoring that includes acupuncture, Chinese herbs and essential oils.

Rewinkel joined Sapphire in September. Throughout the winter she spent a week each month in a small town in Kansas, taking courses through the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society.

“She realized the need for it, saw the results from her previous experience and said, ‘Hey, I’m going to go get certified.’ If it makes animals more comfortable and their owners happy, she’s all for it,” said Conwell McKay, Rewinkel’s fiancé and the logistics manager for Milky Whey, a dairy commodities trading firm in Missoula.

An accomplished equestrian growing up in Richland, Washington, Rewinkel got her undergraduate degree at Eastern Washington University. She gravitated to small-animal medicine once she got to vet school.

Her certification qualifies Rewinkel for administering acupuncture treatments to horses, and she said half her acupuncture calls are for horses, often referred by Pruyn. She’s not a general practitioner with horses, so she teams with vets that are, “so it really is a complement to traditional medicine,” Rewinkel said.

Acupuncture treatment of horse requires few needles, and sometimes none. Her average for dogs is a dozen, and for cats roughly eight.

Rewinkel brings another special element to the practice: She makes house calls, “from Helmville to Hamilton,” as McKay put it.

That’s usually the way it’s done with horses and cows, but not for dogs and cats.

“I’m hoping it starts to be more the norm, just because there are so many benefits to it,” Rewinkel said. “You don’t have the stress of coming into a clinic. You don’t have to wrestle a cat into a carrier or convince a dog to go for a car ride that doesn’t like it.”
    Hold the phone - 'Acupuncture treatment of horse requires few needles, and sometimes none.' If none, is it still acupuncture?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dinky

Paralyzed dog cured through acupuncture

by Jennevieve Fong Friday, October 4th 2019

Photo of Dinky courtesy Table Rock Equine.

MEDFORD, Ore. — Meet Dinky, a two-year-old dachshund who suffered from a spinal cord disease, leaving him partially paralyzed.

"You can see in the video; he can't use his back legs at all," veterinarian Tristin Morgan said. "He was he's such a happy little dog. He was just dragging himself around on the rug."

Morgan said Dinky's owners had seen their regular veterinarian. They said his body did not respond after a month of treatment with Western medicine.

That's when they came to Morgan, who operates Table Rock Equine -- an integrative mobile veterinary practice offering acupuncture on all types of animals.

"I work mostly on horses, a lot on dogs and cats, but I've worked on pigs, sheep, goats, cattle," Morgan said.

After four sessions of electroacupuncture, Morgan said Dinky started to find the pep in his step again.

"He's got a great wagging [in] his tail and running around the room," Morgan said. "We were so excited. He actually could walk after his first appointment. After the first treatment, he was up and walking. He just gradually improved over our next sessions."

When the modern treatments of Western medicine fail, Morgan said Eastern medicine is always another option.

"I go back to Western medicine all the time, but it's so nice to have an integrative approach where we blend Eastern and Western medicine," Morgan said. "That's when I think we get the best results."

Morgan said she expects Dinky to make a full recovery. Table Rock Equine and Animal Acupuncture is a mobile veterinary practice, serving the Jackson and Josephine County communities.
    The vids are embedded.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart