Interesting. Anyone know the comic?

Dwayne Johnson Sets Jay Longino Graphic Novel ‘Son Of Shaolin’ At Sony
by Mike Fleming Jr
June 22, 2016 3:01pm

REX/Shutterstock

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures has acquired Son Of Shaolin, a feature pitch based on the soon to be published graphic novel created and written by scribe Jay Longino. Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia from Seven Bucks Productions will produce, and while I’m told his commitment is only that, I’ve heard there’s an eye toward The Rock potentially being involved in some onscreen capacity. That’s being understandably downplayed for the moment, given Johnson’s numerous starring commitments: beyond those, there are persistent rumors Universal wants him howling at the moon when it gets around to the Wolf Man movie that is part of its classic monsters franchise revival plans. Script will be written by Longino, who co-scripted the Renny Harlin-directed Jackie Chan-Johnny Knoxville team up Skiptrace that Saban Films will release in the fall. He will also be executive produces alongside Ryan Kalil, the perennial All-Pro center for the Carolina Panthers. It was Kalil who financed production of the graphic novel through his Strange Turn Entertainment banner.

Jay Longino

They are keeping the plot under wraps, but I’m told the hope is it has the recipe to start a global franchise, a contemporary Kung-Fu story that intertwines Shaolin mythology with many of the current issues faced by teens growing up in a gentrifying neighborhood. Matt Milam brought the project in to the studio and will oversee. Aside from the China-set Skiptrace, Longino last year sold a China-set sports drama to Fox 2000 with Temple Hill producing. The scribe is repped by Verve, ROAR and attorney Todd Rubenstein. Johnson is WME.