Thread: Cupping

Hybrid View

Cupping

How is it that we don't have a thread dedicated to cupping here?

Well, this is a poor example to start out with, but here goes.

When cupping goes VERY wrong: Man left with seven horrific holes on his back after month-long botched therapy

Li Lin was sent to hospital after developing a high fever after cupping
    The man from China had started treatment to cure his 'frozen shoulder'
    Cups were placed in the same place every day for a month
    Halfway through his treatment he developed blisters and popped them

By SOPHIE WILLIAMS FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 04:02 EST, 23 June 2016 | UPDATED: 10:29 EST, 23 June 2016

Horrifying images have emerged of a man left with seven holes in his back after undergoing cupping therapy which went wrong.

63-year-old Li Lin from Chengdu, China, was promised that the treatment would make his 'frozen shoulder' feel better, reports the People's Daily Online.

The man says he had been having cupping treatment every day in the same place for around a month when large blisters started to appear.

Shocking: 63-year-old Li Lin received daily cupping treatments to cure his case of frozen shoulder

From May 22 to June 20, Li underwent cupping in a small massage parlour to try and cure his frozen shoulder.

Frozen shoulder is a condition that leads to pain and stiffness in the shoulder and in some extreme cases people are unable to move their shoulder at all.

He said: 'The clerk advised me to stick to cupping for a month to cure my frozen shoulder'.

Cupping is a therapy in which heated glass cups are applied to the skin creating suction and are thought to stimulate the flow of energy inside the body.

During treatment, the man had the cups placed in exactly the same place every time.

Li said that during the last ten days, blisters began to form on his back from the locations the cups had been placed.

Instead of stopping the treatment, he asked his wife to pop the blisters before rubbing his back with oil.

Doctors say that he was lucky he went to the hospital when he did otherwise he would have developed sepsis

On June 20, the man went for cupping treatment and during his walk home, he began to feel uncomfortable and had a high fever.

His family rushed him to the hospital.

Surgeon Xie Liang said that when Li was sent to the emergency room with a fever of 37.7 degrees and his back was completely swollen.

On examination, it was found that he had a bacterial infection.

Doctors said that it was lucky that Li came to the hospital when he did as if he had continued then he would have developed sepsis.

Medical staff said that the cupping should not have been done in the same position as it causes skin burns and infections.

Li's situation is improving and is not considered life threatening.

During treatment, the man had the cups placed in exactly the same place every time
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Look up "trypophobia photoshop".

trypophobia - good term, NJM

Follow the link for a short vid on cupping courtesy of Tech Insider. It's a less negative than my initial post, and hopefully will get this thread more on track.

Cupping therapy is so popular in China that people just do it in the street
    Brad Streicher and Rebecca Harrington
    3h
    00:1701:37

Cupping therapy has been used throughout Asia for thousands of years, but modern science hasn’t been able to confirm its benefits.

Produced by Brad Streicher. Original reporting by Rebecca Harrington.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cupping vs backstabbing

More on Gwyneth here and here.

Gwyneth Paltrow called out for being a ‘backstabber’
    By Oli Coleman July 12, 2016 | 8:50pm

Julie Klausner and Gwenyth Paltrow Photo: Getty Images

“Difficult People” creator and showbiz insider Julie Klausner says Hollywood stars only pretend to be pals — and Gwyneth Paltrow is among the phoniest “backstabbers” in Tinseltown.

“They pretend that they are [all great friends], but the stuff that is said about people behind the scenes is really terrible,” she told us at a second season premiere of her Hulu show.

“Well — Gwyneth Paltrow — there’s many a tale to tell,” she said at the Metrograph theater. “All kinds of backstabbing.”

While comedian and writer Klausner was mum on the specific details, she figured of Paltrow, “she’s into [Eastern therapy] cupping now — maybe she’s cupping instead of backstabbing.”

Klausner is starting to sound like her character on “Difficult People,” in which she stars with Billy Eichner as two struggling New York comedians who hate everyone.

Paltrow, whose showbiz pals include Jessica Seinfeld, Mario Batali and Jay Z, was once superclose with Madonna, but the duo fell out over the Material Girl’s ex-trainer Tracy Anderson, who is now sculpting Paltrow’s derriere, as well as those of many Hamptons and Manhattan moms.

Klausner has taken a shot at Paltrow before; in March, she tweeted, “Click here to witness the chemistry between Gwyneth Paltrow and Jimmy Fallon AKA the comedy version of ammonia and bleach!”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cupping therapy popular with Olympic athletes

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...-spots-blazing

Name:  phelps_custom-55db34ece8f67df817e157bbd424a07e3da4ec5e-s800-c85.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  69.9 KB

Athletes Go For Gold With Red Spots Blazing

August 8, 20164:31 PM ET

Swimmer Michael Phelps won Olympic gold again Sunday while covered in red — red spots, roughly medal-size, all over his shoulders and back.

The marks were the result of an ancient Eastern medicinal therapy known as cupping that is achieving new popularity among some athletes in the United States, including numerous Olympians.

Cupping typically involves treating muscle pain and other ailments with cups that apply suction to skin. Cupping is often combined with other forms of alternative medicine, such as acupuncture and massage.

"The practice itself is very old," says Karyn Farrar, a physical therapist at Rehab 2 Perform in Frederick, Md. "In the past five to 10 years it's becoming prominent in terms of physical therapists, athletic trainers and massage therapists [in the United States] using it more and more." Farrar's office treats five to 10 athletes — mostly high school and college students — with cupping each day.

Farrar says cupping is like a reverse form of massage. Instead of applying pressure downward onto muscles, she says, "you're using negative pressure to pull soft tissues apart" from the suction of the cup. "As you're pulling, you're also getting increased blood flow to the tissues."

She claims the practice decreases swelling in acute injuries and speeds up healing. The large red spots are caused by the bursting of small blood vessels near the skin.

Farrar says she expects more athletes to ask about the treatment after seeing the very visible signs of its aftermath on some of this year's Olympians.

According to Ted Kaptchuk, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School who is trained in Asian medicine, the cupping trend isn't exactly new in the U.S. Cupping has a long history in Western medicine and was commonly practiced by American physicians in the 18th and 19th centuries.

But Kaptchuk says cupping fell from favor in the U.S. in the 1920s when practitioners of Western medicine began to see the practice as "old-fashioned," in part because of a lack of scientific evidence that it had a true healing effect.

Today, while some studies have explored the effects of cupping, there is still scant scientific evidence supporting its healing potential.

"We need rigorous research to understand whether there is a physiological effect associated with cupping and currently that is unknown," says David Shurtleff, deputy director of the National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health.

NCCIH currently doesn't fund research on cupping, partly because the studies are challenging to design. It is difficult to know whether a patient feels better after cupping because the treatment worked on a physical level or because the patient expected to feel better and so does — in other words, the placebo effect.

But Shurtleff and Kaptchuk agree that a placebo effect from cupping could work to reduce pain with or without an underlying physical benefit.

While there is still limited scientific evidence supporting cupping, Kaptchuk says that "what we do have, is that people feel better after it's done."

For Olympians, that feeling may be just enough to help them on a trip to the medal podium.

Michael Phelps is a great endorsement

Heck any major Olympic medalist is a great endorsement. Remember when Bruce Jenner got us all to eat Wheaties?

I've been seeing a lot of web news bits on Phelps and the cupping scars. That's great exposure. What amuses me most about this (for several reasons) is that the Chinese athletes don't have such scars. They seem to be using some sort of modern patches for the most part.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

self-inflicted

Don’t try this at home: Chinese firefighters step in when cupping therapy goes wrong
    Glass cup removed from man’s back with a hacksaw after he uses kit he bought online to treat pain
    PUBLISHED : Friday, 25 August, 2017, 3:32pm
    UPDATED : Friday, 25 August, 2017, 4:56pm
    Jun Mai

In central China, firefighters were called on not to rescue a cat stuck up a tree, but a man with a glass cup stuck to his back.
    The man, identified by his surname Hu, had been performing cupping therapy on himself at his home in Wuhan, Hubei province on Tuesday night to treat back pain, the Wuhan Evening News reports.
    He had bought the cups – which are used in traditional medicine that has been practised in China for thousands of years – online.
    Hu had been suffering from back pain and decided to treat it himself with his home cupping therapy kit.
    They have a mechanical pump to create a vacuum on the skin in a process that is believed to get rid of stagnation and is used to treat anything from pain to respiratory conditions.
    But he was unable to remove one of the cups.

The suction was so great that an area of skin about 5cm high was pulled into the cup, causing bleeding, his family told the local newspaper on Thursday.
    They tried unsuccessfully to remove the cup using a hammer and a pair of pliers before taking Hu to hospital.
    The glass cups have a mechanical pump to create a vacuum on the skin in a process that is believed to get rid of stagnation and is used to treat anything from pain to respiratory conditions. Photo: Handout
    Doctors were also unable to remove the cup so the family decided to take Hu to the nearest fire station.
    Four firefighters stepped in to deal with the problem, using a hacksaw to create a small crack in the top of the cup to relieve the pressure so that they could remove it.

A shocked Hu was happy to be free of the cup but told the newspaper that the incident would not stop him from applying the cups again in the future – though he said he would be more careful next time.
    Cupping TCM Fail
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cupping therapy with buffalo horns in Indonesia

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Will it make me pretty?

Cupping your way to beauty: It’s a trendy treatment in Hollywood, but does it work?
    by Rodney Dunigan Wednesday, July 18th 2018
    (WSYX/WTTE)

PLAIN CITY, Ohio — Health and beauty in a cup, so to speak anyway. Cupping therapy is growing in popularity. It's all thanks in part to athletes and celebrities. But, how affective is the treatment for those dealing with pain management and those simply wanting to look a bit younger?

Although Cupping Therapy is in the spotlight now days, this alternative form of medicine has actually be around for centuries. ABC6 spoke with clients and experts to get a bit of insight into what it's all about. Recently in vogue, the practice of cupping dates back hundreds of years. From ancient Egypt and Greece, to the Chinese culture which is most closely associated with cupping.

"I do a lot of people with scar tissue. I've had people come in with lower back pain, kinks in the neck," said Christina Frey, owner of Touch of Therapy Massage.

(WSYX/WTTE)

Be it athletes or stay at home moms, Frey has a diverse clientele. The owner of Touch of Therapy Massage told ABC6 that the popularity of this method continues to grow. Between the body messages and facial cupping, Frey told ABC6 that people are really starting to see the potential benefits.

"It's actually cleansing your face out. Pulling out impurities. I've seen old makeup come out., so it's cleaning the pores as well," said Frey.

During the process, suction cups are placed directly on the skin to promote circulation and relieve muscle tension.

"I describe it as an inverted message. So instead of me pressing down on the deep tissue or gently moving lymphatics it lifts everything to the surface," said Frey.

When it comes to facial cupping, therapists even claim it helps with sinus congestion and headaches. The beauty claims include reducing puffiness, softening those fine lines and wrinkles just to name a few.

"You notice the difference. It seems like the massage lasted longer and she was able to get in deeper to release the muscle tensions and everything," said client Paula Ferguson.

You can count Ferguson a believer. She has received a number of treatments. She told ABC6 that the treatments have improved her overall health.

(WSYX/WTTE)

"The skin is firmer, the lymphatic message helps to reduce the toxins and you actually feel like you have a little more energy," said Ferguson.

Modern cupping therapy doesn't come without a bit of criticism. Some medical experts have described it as simply a celebrity fad and junk science and indicate there's no real evidence of the effectiveness of the therapy. However, many of those clients who have used it disagree. The therapy is typically safe when it's done by a trained professional. But, if it is not there is the potential for serious bruising. So the experts warn, if you plan to use this therapy, do your research and make sure you are going to a trained therapist.
    THREADS
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Cupping
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

DIY facial cupping

seems legit

I Tried DIY Face Cupping Because It's Allegedly Better Than Botox

BY STEPHANIE MONTES
    4 DAYS AGO

I've had a bunch of chances to try cupping therapy, but I was always too afraid to rack up the tell-tale bruises down my back. Everyone from Justin Bieber to Kim Kardashian has tried cupping, which is known to help with pain, inflammation, blood flow, relaxation, muscle knots, and swelling, all of which sound amazing. When I heard about DIY face cupping, I knew I had to try it. I love a good weird beauty treatment (I mean, the idea of doing it to myself kind of freaks me out, but I'm game), plus the benefits are supposed to be fantastic I ordered the Urban Tonics Facial Cupping Set ($35; lifeessencecouncil.com), which is described as "better than Botox and much less invasive," not to mention cheaper and much more convenient. I've considered Botox, but I'm afraid of that too — facial cupping definitely seems like the safer choice.

When I finally unpacked my at-home cupping set, I started getting nervous about it. I didn't even stop to think about possible bruising and I've heard cupping (on the body) kind of hurts. I obviously don't want crop-circle looking marks on my face and I know if it hurts, I won't do it again, but I figure "what the hell? I already opened the package."

I started by washing my face and applying oil from my forehead to my neck (this helps the suction cups glide easier). Unlike traditional cupping therapy, this kit's suction cups don't remain in the same spot the entire treatment (which is what can cause bruising). Instead, you run 'em along your face to increase blood flow. The key is to keep the cup moving at all times to prevent bruising.

Stephanie Montes

The cups come with a handy little cheat sheet to show you where to treat your face. To create a suction, I pinched the silicone cups and place them on my skin. When I release the pinching, the cups create a suction and stick to my face. Now all I do is run them along the arrows seen on the chart above, while my skin is still suctioned.

It actually feels relaxing and isn't scary at all. I end up completing way more strokes than suggested (whoops) and can feel myself getting really relaxed. My face does get slightly red, but only in the areas that I've just treated and only for a few seconds. This is just because I'm getting the blood flowing, but it's not bruising, so I could hypothetically do it every day.

Giphy

After just one use, facial cupping gave me a natural, bright rosy glow and my laugh lines seem much softer (this is the only reason I even considered Botox in the first place). Creating a suction on the surface of the skin produces fresh oxygenated blood, which promotes collagen production and yields an instant glow.

Now that I've gotten the hang of it, I can do it with one hand and without looking in the mirror. I've decided that facial cupping will become my new end-of-day ritual — I already made a space for them on my nightstand. I'm making it my goal to bust out the cups every night while I lay in bed and catch up on my shows.
    THREADS
    TCM and Beauty Tips
    Cupping
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ew

this cupping thread has some nasty pix

A Woman Fell Asleep During Cupping Therapy. She Woke Up with Bizarre Blisters.
    By Rachael Rettner, Senior Writer | December 12, 2018 11:51am ET

A woman developed a collection of large blisters in the shape of a circle from cupping therapy. The injury occurred because she applied the cups herself and then fell asleep, leaving the cups on for too long. (The indentation at the center of the circle is likely due to the cupping vacuum mechanism).
    Credit: Reproduced with permission from JAMA Dermatology. 2018. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2018.3277. Copyright© 2018 American Medical Association. All rights reserved.

When you think of cupping therapy, large circular bruises might come to mind. Indeed, the bruises are often a side effect of the alternative-medicine technique, which involves attaching circular cups to the skin using suction.

Generally, cupping therapy is fairly safe, but for a woman in California, the experience left her with a rather painful remnant: a collection of large blisters in the shape of a neat circle. The injury occurred because she had applied the cups herself, and then fell asleep, according to a new report of her case.

The woman, who is in her 60s, had recently fallen and hurt her shoulder. To try to treat the injury, she decided to try dry cupping therapy, Supporters of the treatment say the suction increases blood flow to the area, which, in turn, reduces muscle tension and inflammation, and promotes healing. [27 Oddest Medical Case Reports]

The suction is created either by heating the cup inside (which forms a vacuum) or by using a handheld pump. The cups are usually placed on the skin for 5 to 15 minutes, according to Healthline.

In the woman's case, she used a handheld pump to apply the cups to her body, according to the report, published today (Dec. 12) in the journal JAMA Dermatology. But she fell asleep after she applied the cups, and woke up 30 minutes later. She immediately noticed large, painful blisters in a circular pattern in the area where the cups had been.

The blisters formed because the suction damaged the patient's skin. "The vacuum was strong enough to split the skin, separating the normal two [top and bottom] layers of skin," said case report co-author Dr. Maria Wei, a professor of dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco.

If properly performed, cupping therapy should not cause blisters, Wei told Live Science. But in this case, the device was left unsupervised, causing "too strong of a vacuum" and damaging the skin, Wei said.

"This case illustrates the need for supervision while performing cupping with a mechanical device" such as a pump, said Wei, who treated the woman. "If properly monitored, it shouldn't be a problem."

Cupping therapy gained international attention during the 2016 Summer Olympics when several athletes, including champion swimmer Michael Phelps, were seen sporting circular bruises on their bodies from having undergone the therapy. (The bruises, which are a known side effect, occur when the suction causes small blood vessels to burst.)

Although many athletes say they've experienced benefits from the therapy, there are few rigorous scientific studies on the topic, and it's unclear if the treatments' perceived benefits could be due to the placebo effect, Live Science previously reported.

Wei said she and her colleague decided to publish the image to alert users and physicians to this potential side effect of blisters.

Since the blisters were causing the patient discomfort, doctors drained the blisters and applied petroleum jelly to the area under a sterile dressing, the report said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

sanfutie

Traditional Chinese medicine treatment blisters children
    Seasonal cupping therapy leaves dozens of young patients with skin reactions
    Blistered, peeling and weeping skin among side effects
    Laurie Chen
    Published: 5:07pm, 17 Jul, 2019

A child receiving the traditional Chinese medicine treatment which uses a herbal paste and cupping techniques. The treatment, administered by a hospital in eastern China, has left dozens of children with severe skin reactions. Photo: Weibo

A children’s hospital in eastern China has stopped using a traditional Chinese medicine treatment after 92 child patients developed severe skin reactions.
    Patients at Jiangsu Province Children’s Hospital developed painful blisters and itchy, peeling skin after being treated with a form of cupping therapy known as sanfutie last Friday and Saturday, the hospital said in a statement on Tuesday.
    Photos circulated on social media showing young children with dark red, blotchy patches on their backs. In some cases, the skin was blistered, peeling and weeping pus.
    The hospital said 881 children underwent the treatment, which involves the application of a herbal paste to the skin which is then covered by glass cups. The cups are heated to create suction.

A traditional seasonal Chinese medicine treatment applied at a children’s hospital in eastern China has left dozens of young patients with severe skin reactions. Photo: Weibo

The treatment is traditionally applied during the hottest periods of the year, according to the Chinese lunar calendar, to treat a variety of illnesses, as well as to improve circulation.
    “Our hospital will continue the follow-up treatment and diagnosis of the side effects of children who were treated with sanfutie and actively cooperate with authorities and experts to analyse the cause,” the statement said.
    An official from the Jiangsu Provincial Health Commission told online news outlet Red Star News that its experts were currently working with the hospital to determine the cause of the children’s reaction to the treatment.
    “Medicine must be as objective as science. The investigation needs to have a due process, especially when finding the reason behind the side effects,” the official said.
    Parents of many of the affected patients told Red Star News they had responded to an online advertisement by the hospital last month, which offered the 400 yuan (US$58) treatment as a remedy for respiratory diseases, digestive illnesses and weak immune systems in children.
    Traditional Chinese medicine
    “The main point was that they claimed it could cure these illnesses, so that’s why we came,” one anonymous parent was quoted as saying.
    Others claimed their children’s wounds did not heal for several days after the treatment, and that it caused fevers and severe pain in some cases.
    Now, parents are demanding that the sanfutie treatment be tested for toxic ingredients and harmful side effects, as well as compensation from the hospital, according to Red Star News.
    Cupping gained global recognition when elite US swimmer Michael Phelps competed in the 2016 Olympics with red circular marks visible on his torso. While it remains a popular alternative health treatment in many parts of the world, and particularly in China, there is little scientific evidence to prove it has any health benefits. Many critics have condemned cupping as pseudoscience.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Therapy halted after 92 children develop reactions
    I get allergic reactions to a lot of TCM now. I can sympathize.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jack Fincham

I don't know this celeb but...ew.

BLOODY HELL! Love Island’s Jack Fincham has shocking ‘cupping’ treatment that drains blood from his head
    Lucy Murgatroyd
    26 Sep 2019, 12:57 Updated: 26 Sep 2019, 15:47

JACK Fincham has undergone a horrific cupping treatment where blood was drained from the back of his head.

The Love Island star, 28, followed in the footsteps of celebs including Calum Best for the procedure which is supposed to release all the bad toxins from your body.

Jack Fincham revealed the aftermath of his 'cupping' treatment which drained huge amounts of blood from his head

Jack documented the procedure step by step and shared the videos with his Instagram followers.

He said: "Right, for everyone wondering what I got done yesterday, I went to the cupping clinic. It is mad, I feel amazing today.

"It gets all the bad blood, all the toxins out of your body, look at this next video, look what came out of my swede."

In the videos, the former pen salesman is seen lying face down on a bed with multiple cups attached to back, arms and legs - and he even had one attached to the back of his head.

The therapist even placed one on the back of his head

As the therapist, at the Abdelkader Cupping Clinic in Kennington, South London, pulled one of the cups off the back of his head, he was left shocked with the large amount of blood that gushed out.

Cupping therapy is an ancient traditional practice which consists of a cup being placed onto the skin to create a suction.
    There are two cupping methods including dry cupping - a suction-only method, and wet cupping - which involves medicinal bleeding.

Over the past few years, cupping has become extremely popular because of its benefits which include improving an individuals well-being, blood flow, inflammation and it is even said to loosen muscles.

The cups were placed all over the back of his body Credit: Instagram

Cups were even placed on the back of his legs Credit: Instagram

Despite how uncomfortable it looks, Jack seemed to be extremely relaxed throughout Credit: Instagram
    The Celebs Go Dating star decided to opt for the wet cupping procedure - where the therapist made a small incision into the skin, followed by another session of suction to draw blood from the body.

This type of cupping is supposed to remove harmful substances and toxins from the body to promote healing.

"Honestly, I've seen so many good things about it, I was dying to try it and I cant believe the amount of toxins come out of my head.

"I feel like my body's clean, and I'm really ready to go," Jack said.

Jack revealed that he was meant to turn pro at 18 but got distracted by partying and girls Credit: PA:Press Association

The health benefits said to result from the bizarre procedure might actually be able to help Jack reach his goal of becoming a professional boxer.

Jack recently revealed he's working towards becoming the next big thing in the ring.

He told iFL TV he has now worked his life around boxing, and wants to turn pro to “feel good” about himself after regaining the “fire” to be a fighter.

He said: “Now I’ve sort of managed to work my life around the boxing, I’ve gone back to it properly, and I do want to turn over, I do wanna turn pro.

Jack hit our screens back in 2017 when he won Love Island with Dani Dyer Credit: Rex Features

“I meant to do it at the age of 18 but circumstances change and I didn’t do it.

“I had gone back to boxing, I had another senior fight at the age of 24, I lost that actually, he was a very good kid actually.

“I was at the wrong weight, but now I’ve just got that fire in my stomach again."

He added: “I wanna be healthy, I wanna be fit, I wanna feel good about myself, and boxing, it’s like a medicine, you just feel good about yourself in every shape and form.”
    He's way to pretty to box. Just wanna punch him inna nose, right?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Deng Sha

ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE Published 1 day ago
    Actress horribly burned in 'fire cupping' session gone wrong, report says
    By Alexandria Hein | Fox News

WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW

An actress in China is recovering from a traumatic cupping incident after the rubbing alcohol that was on her skin caught fire, leaving her with second-degree burns. Deng Sha, who has appeared on “Yanxi Palace,” sought the ancient therapy after taping.

Chinese actress Deng Sha opted for a "fire cupping" session after filming "Yanxi Palace."
    Chinese actress Deng Sha opted for a "fire cupping" session after filming "Yanxi Palace." (AsiaWire)

Cupping is used in traditional medicine in several areas of the world and involves creating suction on the skin using a glass, ceramic, bamboo or a plastic cup. Negative pressure is created in the cup by either applying a flame to the cup to remove oxygen before placing it on the skin or by attaching a suction device to the cup after it is placed on the skin, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (NIH).

The rubbing alcohol on her skin caught fire, leaving her with bloodied, blistered scars. (AsiaWire)

The therapy typically leaves temporary marks on the skin and can result in skin discoloration, scars, burns and infections. There are two variations called wet cupping and dry cupping. In wet cupping, the skin is pierced and blood flows into the cup. With dry cupping, the skin remains intact. However, Deng allegedly chose another variation of the therapy called “fire cupping,” which according to AsiaWire involves creating suction in the cups by briefly burning an alcohol-soaked cotton ball inside.

She may suffer permanent scarring as a result, reports say. (AsiaWire)

Somehow, the rubbing alcohol on her skin caught fire, leaving her with blistered and bleeding skin that required care at Beijing Jishuitan Hospital. She urged her fans to take proper steps before undergoing fire cupping, such as tying up loose hair and staying calm in the event of an emergency, but according to AsiaWire, she did not warn against trying the therapy.
    Some practitioners just don't know how to cup.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips