Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adducting the Knees in YJKM

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Mushashi apparently disagreed.
    His opinion is valid for him only , do not fall on Japanese martial marketing
    Last edited by zuti car; 07-02-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post

I agree (I think) with zuti in saying that developing rooting skills in a static position doesn't necessarily translate to applying and absorbing force in a dynamic situation. Also, I don't believe the YGKYM stance is very effective stance from which to apply or receive force. .
    Here is the main problem why most of the TCMA styles "do not " work . Let's say static rooting skills are foundation but when it comes to fighting , all these things learned to be done in basic stance are simply lost , like in that video on other thread . Many hours of training spent on various drills and chi sao , keeping proper position , basic rooting, simply are not applicable in real fight . I never seen a kung fu fighter who kept proper structure during the fight and there is a simple reason for that . I have learned from several teacher , went to seminars , visited many schools , talked to many people but no one taught basic mechanics of moving and keeping proper structure , something that should be learned at the beginning of second form .David Cheung is teaching something like that, but his footwork can be applied only for forward stepping , and side steps to some point ( if the incoming force comes from the best possible angle), but not for stepping back or some other footwork patterns , also , TWC as I was taught has no concept of "body structure" only maintaining the balance . I also have never seen anyone paying attention on structure during sparring . I know many schools where people spar seriously but that is nothing more than some kind of kick boxing although they call it wing chun
    Last edited by zuti car; 07-03-2016 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Perhaps this is true of pure striking, but sustained slow pressure is definitely part of a grappling situation.

Other than solo stance work, breathing, forms, etc. and trying to "sink" I do not specifically train to develop a strong root. I learn and practice the necessary skills through chi sao and standup wrestling. I'll practice balance while riding the train as well.

I agree (I think) with zuti in saying that developing rooting skills in a static position doesn't necessarily translate to applying and absorbing force in a dynamic situation. Also, I don't believe the YGKYM stance is very effective stance from which to apply or receive force. I will just about always work from a 50/50 front stance. My instructor changed the way we do forms to replace the YGKYM with front stances in a many places. This was from much observation of WC guys in ring fights - those that fought from a parallel stance almost always either

i) dropped a foot back and went onto a front stance when pressure was applied;
    ii) got quickly forced back into the ropes.

You can make a parallel or sideways parallel stance work BEFORE pressure is applied, and some like this because you can quickly lead with either side, plus you are less susceptible to single leg takedowns or leg kicks (though arguably more susceptible to double leg attacks). Once the pressure is on, though, you need to change stance. IMO. YMMV.
    Good points. Yes, I stand corrected on your first sentence. I was referring to WC / pure striking in my earlier post.
    I do the same on trains! haha
    While not always 50/50...I mostly use a lead leg stance as well.

[QUOTE]From Angerlich:

"I'll practice balance while riding the train as well."

Great discussion. The numerous replies show the versatility of applying WC in different fashions, from different lineages tailored into individual needs and body types. In our lineage [Micky Chan VT an evolution of Moy Yat VT] we spend a lot of time developing our horse and root by playing Luk Sao and toy ma with a slow roll and Chung Chi in a dynamic moving as necessary fashion, with no fixed footwork positioning. Each partner is trying to feel out the others balance and structure while attempting to push [uproot] while stepping as little as possible. It is the opponent who should be "dancing" not you. Pushing is done with relaxed tan, bon and fook without shoulder activation. energy is coming from the legs through a relaxed torso. In this venue you learn how to dissipate incoming force with subtle body realignment and weight transfer or challenge it directly with better structure all the while developing the practical ability to immediately uproot the opponent and send him backwards upon first contact engagement with his bridge . Admittedly, this training can be tedious, frustrating [being slammed into the wall over and over] and even boring, for some who don't see the value in perfecting this attribute. However the pay-off is in the end when you can cross hands with any martial artist and maintain your root and balance while under heavy forward pressure.

A little technique for neophytes on how to keep your balance on a moving subway car without holding on to anything, from a former Transit cop: when the train is slowing or accelerating stand sideways feet parallel facing the windows. Once it levels off at speed turn and stand facing the direction of travel feet parallel and you will be sturdy side to side during turns. Works every time. For advanced balance training just walk down the car while the train is moving- slowing, starting or turning. Great practice for any martial artist who rides the train!
    Buy the best and cry once!

[QUOTE=robertdreeben;1294721]
    From Angerlich:

A little technique for neophytes on how to keep your balance on a moving subway car without holding on to anything, from a former Transit cop: when the train is slowing or accelerating stand sideways feet parallel facing the windows. Once it levels off at speed turn and stand facing the direction of travel feet parallel and you will be sturdy side to side during turns. Works every time. For advanced balance training just walk down the car while the train is moving- slowing, starting or turning. Great practice for any martial artist who rides the train!
    Who's this Angerlich dude?

Haven't tried that advice - I usually stand at about 45 degrees to the direction of travel, working both forward and sideways, but mix it up, too. Interesting. Our trains tend to be a bit crowded for unlimited walking up and down in, plus you get some suspicious looks. Or maybe that's just me.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

"[QUOTE]Who's this Angerlich dude?"

Oops, typo my bad.

I agree; walking back and forth on a train in that fashion might generate a 911 radio run as a suspicious male or an EDP [emotionally disturbed person] from worried passengers.

For You Know Who: always nice to see a picture of Chang Dung Sheng! Shuai Chiao is my secret weapon I use to cheat with when I'm getting bested in chi sao!
    Buy the best and cry once!

[QUOTE=robertdreeben;1294728]"
    Who's this Angerlich dude?"

Oops, typo my bad.
    No probs, I kind of like it.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!