Thread: Head on a Stick! boxing pad idea

Head on a Stick! boxing pad idea

Hey Team,

Gene! I think you should make a new tiger claw boxing pad that is a head on a stick! You know like those BOB punching torsos.... a Head like that with a good grip that you can hold up as a punching pad.

Punching a spherical object is different from a pad, and when someone dodges your punch the ability to quickly change direction and punch again is really useful, having a spherical target opens up a lot of new options. It would need some kind of guard around the holders hand mainly to stop it slipping and spinning when hit.

Also, you could do different grades, a soft one and a hard one with the hardness of a real head.

That and I reiterate my request for a re-breakable arm!

DaHai
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Good idea.

I could actually picture a head with an integral handle or handles coming out the back of it, as opposed to it being on a stick. Unless the 'stick', also, is attached to the back of the head. If the stick were where the bottom of the neck is (picture a severed head on a pike), it would be facing downward all the time to the puncher when held by the trainer.

I've also wished for a rebreakable arm device, with a mechanism at the 'elbow' that clicks into a slightly hyperextended position when pressed or struck with sufficient force. Perhaps also another such device at the 'wrist', and maybe even a swivel at the shoulder, which would allow the elbow to be angled at different positions. I've wondered how it would be kept at average shoulder height. By attaching bilaterally onto a heavy bag? Or would it come with its own stand complete with a torso?
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-07-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Greetings,

While it is an interesting idea to have a head shaped target, it is not as flexible as two hand pads. It is also easier for the trained to sense the students power delivery when the student, for example, duck under the "striking arm" of one pad and connects to the "face" of the other pad. And the change ups from orthodox to southpaw and even from left to right strikes are faster that it would be with a simulated head.

mickey

@Mickey,

It would not be as good as the pads for the currently popular drilling techniques, no, but I think a lot of new drills would emerge by using it. The fact its a solid object gives lots of new avenues. It wouldn't be a replacement but rather another tool. Can be used to drill more chops and hammer strikes and palms and other traditional techniques that are harder to practice against pads.

@Jimbo

I kind of pictured it as being worn like a boxing glove and hold it from inside. I've tried to approximate it before by just putting my hand inside a sparring helmet and gripping what I can. It kind of works but get knocked out of your hand easily.

Greetings,

RenDaHai,

It will be upon you to develop it. You are asking a company to bring forth a product for which there is no market: to spend $$$ on a whim. Before there was boxing pads there was simply the hands being held up as targets. You may want to consider using styrofoam wig stands and the decapitated heads of torso dummies to contribute to the development of your prototype. If you can develop a useful training approach from your prototype and some market testing, it is time to do something with it. Now that you have posted up about it, there may be others considering it when the potential opportunity to make some dollars should be yours.

mickey

It already exists
    https://www.questtraining.com/
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

head on a stick?

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    AWESOME! Cheers, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I'm gonna have to get one of those.