Thread: For Tainan Mantis- 8 Road Tan Tui for Ba Bu Tang Lang

For Tainan Mantis- 8 Road Tan Tui for Ba Bu Tang Lang

Hello Sifu Brazier,

I remember in an older post on 8 step mantis forms, you wrote-

Wei Xiao Tang had his equivalent of the 10 roads of Tan Tuei encompassed within 8 roads.
    On seeing Wei perform those 8 roads it is immediately apparent that they are Mantis.
    Other Mantis branches also have their own roads for beginners, Zhang De Kuei of Mimen Mantis in Taiwan had 7 Roads, Jia Jingting and Li Kun Shan also had their roads.
    HK 7* has their 14 roads. In every case, except for 10 roads of Tan Tuei, it is immediately apparent that these are roads for the training of Mantis.

Being a Wutan disciple, we practice 3 sets of 6 roads of basics that I think Master Su Yu Zhang may have formulated based on the experiences he had with various Mantis teachers on the island. The first 6 are the most common and I think may have come from Master Wei Xiao Tang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LeE9cyXvjQ

I was wondering what are the other 2 lines. Thank you Sifu Brazier!

I watched the video. Those exercises look like a combination of Baji and Tantui.
    The left, right hook punch, belly punch supposedly was taught by Zhang Dekui, though I don't know anyone else who taught it.

Wei Shaotang's moves included escapes and takedowns. There was once a video online of him doing it, but I don't know where it is know.

I saw this one, with an added 崩beng at the end. SUpposedly taught by Li Kunshan

Hide the Peach under the Leaf

Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Just to be clear on what Tantui is.
    It is an exercise for two people. Nowadays it is usually taught solo.
    This is a light handed but accurate versions of what we should expect to see in the tantui exercises.

接潭腿