Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: TCMA Survival

lol wat a poosy post for 10 years on internet not one video not even tell ppl wat style he train

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    it's duty of the teacher to beat iron into steel.
    Isn't that what I said?

Ur students make mistake because too many form not enough muscles.
    Who said anything about forms?

Mistake like not torquing enough into punches and kicks, not throwing combinations, not going in deep enough when attacking, not dropping the weight into the other guy when attacking, dropping the hands, going too wide...

Remove every form except seven star stance
    Seven star is transition footwork for power generation, entry to attack, or evasion/neutralization.

Form guys that don't know how to use TCMA will use seven star as a stance. Seven star stance by itself does nothing.

You do Tai Chi? You know this. Or you just trolling because you are bored?

Quality over quantity

A herd of pigs does not make a dragon
    That is what a few of us have been saying on this thread.

It's the commercialized herds passing themselves off as real TCMA that are destroying it.

Real TCMA isn't popular.

I don't charge money or act like guru so if someone doesn't train I say you do this yes or no. If no or lie I tell them fuk off
    Lol. I posted the same thing a couple years ago. Except I said "gtfo" instead of "fuk off".

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post

Form guys that don't know how to use TCMA will use seven star as a stance. Seven star stance by itself does nothing.
    seven star is main fighting stance in many chinese systems
    Isn't that what I said?
    ya it good
    Mistake like not torquing enough into punches and kicks, not throwing combinations, not going in deep enough when attacking, not dropping the weight into the other guy when attacking, dropping the hands, going too wide...
    these can be resolved by getting bigger muscles. every problem in life can be resolved by big muscles
    That is what a few of us have been saying on this thread.

It's the commercialized herds passing themselves off as real TCMA that are destroying it.

Real TCMA isn't popular.

Lol. I posted the same thing a couple years ago. Except I said "gtfo" instead of "fuk off".
    ya. now i add that if u dont milk ur student u can self examine training and teaching methods to speed up progress. once u think about purpose of training and measure results in a logical way u can speed up everythihng

You do Tai Chi? You know this. Or you just trolling because you are bored?
    ya. if u show u do form i will show u video me do farm
    Last edited by bawang; 10-23-2016 at 12:12 PM.

these can be resolved by getting bigger muscles. every problem in life can be resolved by big muscles
    You talk like an American. "Bigger is better."

Guts, strength, skill. Why you ignore 2 out of 3?

now i add that if u dont milk ur student u can self examine training and teaching methods to speed up progress. once u think about purpose of training and measure results in a logical way u can speed up everythihng
    TCMA is a good way to die poor.

My teacher charged me $40/month for many years. Later he teach my whole family for free. I felt bad and gave him more money.

I taught for free at the park for 10+ years. No charge except for sweat.

Now we share a space with a commercial school. I made $700 in 2014, $500 in 2015, and even less this year. Actually losing money each year considering travel cost to and from classes.

We try to force feed the students. The only thing we get out of it is to see their ability improve.

Well, also students don't have to practice outside in the rain, and we don't have to find a place to hang an 80lb bag at the park.

if u show u do form i will show u video me do farm
    You keep talking about heavybag, weights, and power. So why you always ask to show forms?

My classmates are laughing now. Out of everyone, I probably practice forms the least.

In the 80's and 90's, my teacher didn't particularly focus on forms as well.

Greetings,

One of the things that came to mind that might help TCMA survival might be to have it included in the public educational system. The basic training can be helpful in fighting the issue of obesity that is plaguing children. the trade off is that you will get a group to teach consistently for a number of years. The problem would be regulation and control of your curriculum.

Another would be a return to the Guild structure where you would have people devoting their lives to the preservation of TCMA. This again led me back to a return to a family or sect system.

The third one I am still working on.

mickey

My teacher charged me $40/month for many years. Later he teach my whole family for free. I felt bad and gave him more money.

Now we share a space with a commercial school. I made $700 in 2014, $500 in 2015, and even less this year. Actually losing money each year considering travel cost to and from classes.
    This is true. I don't personally know ANYBODY who's gotten rich off of TCMA. Teaching it is a minor secondary occupation at best, and for most it's a pastime. Maybe somebody like Wong Tat-Mau can make a good living from TCMA and retire, but that's a very rare exception and requires great business acumen. Anyone who thinks that just teaching TCMA is a great way to milk students of $$$ and get rich is a fool. You teach it because you love it and feel the calling to share it and pass it on to others.

I will point out that a high percentage of people will not value something that is offered for free. Many believe that if you don't place some type of monetary value on what you're offering, then it can't be worth much.

Nobody finds it odd that to learn ANY other category of knowledge or set of skills requires tuition. But for some reason a TCMA teacher should be shamed for charging a fee. In most cases, the fee you're paying is paltry compared to the knowledge and experience the teacher is imparting to you, as long as the teacher is really teaching you.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-23-2016 at 03:22 PM.

You keep talking about heavybag, weights, and power. So why you always ask to show forms?

My classmates are laughing now. Out of everyone, I probably practice forms the least.

In the 80's and 90's, my teacher didn't particularly focus on forms as well.
    cuz i not do form for 6 years but if i do it will be better than someone who do mainly form. to prove point of correct training and logical training.
    You talk like an American. "Bigger is better."

Guts, strength, skill. Why you ignore 2 out of 3?

We try to force feed the students. The only thing we get out of it is to see their ability improve
    ver gourd your teacher has honer u has honer ur a real man

big muscle is something that asian americans have learned to avoid through cultural sickness. in traditional kung fu, big muscle was always a source of envy and pride and sign of top level martial skill. phobia of big muscles is great evil in chinese martial arts.

despite common stereotype traditional confucian culture did not admire the nerd. traditional chinese culture stereotyped confucian nerds as gay virgins (no lie).
    Last edited by bawang; 10-23-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This is true. I don't personally know ANYBODY who's gotten rich off of TCMA. Teaching it is a minor secondary occupation at best, and for most it's a pastime. Maybe somebody like Wong Tat-Mau can make a good living from TCMA and retire, but that's a very rare exception and requires great business acumen. Anyone who thinks that just teaching TCMA is a great way to milk students of $$$ and get rich is a fool. You teach it because you love it and feel the calling to share it and pass it on to others.
    oriental martial arts is great to milk people IF you are a psychopath.

I will point out that a high percentage of people will not value something that is offered for free. Many believe that if you don't place some type of monetary value on what you're offering, then it can't be worth much.
    they are talking animals and should not learn chinese martial arts. it will only harm the art.

Nobody finds it odd that to learn ANY other category of knowledge or set of skills requires tuition. But for some reason a TCMA teacher should be shamed for charging a fee. In most cases, the fee you're paying is paltry compared to the knowledge and experience the teacher is imparting to you, as long as the teacher is really teaching you.
    in traditional chinese society ancient times a TCMA teacher can charge exorbant fees if he is a retired military officer with confirms kills. then the student can get a head start to advance in military career, or gain great prestige.
    in other words in modern times i would pay a former seal a large amount of money no problem to trian me in seal training.
    i have no problem paying chuck liddel big money to train me in fighting.
    i wouldnt pay big money to pay random skinny bald dude to teach me to dance. at the end of the day, a dance can be mastered for free.

in other words in modern times i would pay a former seal a large amount of money no problem to trian me in seal training.
    i have no problem paying chuck liddel big money to train me in fighting.
    i wouldnt pay big money to pay random skinny bald dude to teach me to dance. at the end of the day, a dance can be mastered for free.
    Funny story...

Former south american special forces guy came to try our class. Medium height but bulky and strong.

I actually wondered if he was going to be one of those people with an attitude problem that wants to prove how tough he is.

Halfway through the drills, he gassed and had sit down for the rest of the class.

He came back to the next class but just watched.

He said he wanted to get back in shape. Then made some random talk about how he used to poke his fingers through sheetrock walls.

We never saw him again after that.

I actually tried to encourage him. "Take your time. Don't push yourself so hard that you break something. Just keep working and moving. You'll get there. If you don't stay active, it's all over."

Greetings,

I have more thought about the introduction of TCMA into the educational system and that may actually work. Much like the school for performing arts. We can have schools that emphasize martial study along with the regular academic curriculum. This could actually work.

My third suggestion would be the establishment of a national TCMA conservatory. The fault with this would be in that in the attempt to be inclusive there will be those who will be still left out. Still thinking on this one.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-25-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I have more thought about the introduction of TCMA into the educational system and that may actually work. Much like the school for performing arts. We can have schools that emphasize martial study along with the regular academic curriculum. This could actually work.

mickey
    People make careers in performing arts.

What would be the driver for teaching TCMA in a similar way?

My third suggestion would be the establishment of a national TCMA conservatory. The fault with this would be in that in the attempt to be inclusive there will be those who will be still left out. Still thinking on this one.
    My sister studied at the Conservatory of Music.

Yo Yo Ma used to stand outside the door when she practiced. He would have tears in his eyes from listening to her on the piano.

She became a concert pianist, played for symphonies, and the ballet.

She says all the same things about teaching music that I say about teaching TCMA.

There's a reason for the expression "starving artist".

Probably even more so for starving martial artist.

Seven star by himself does nothing.
    I'm offended!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Greetings,

One of the things that came to mind that might help TCMA survival might be to have it included in the public educational system. The basic training can be helpful in fighting the issue of obesity that is plaguing children. the trade off is that you will get a group to teach consistently for a number of years. The problem would be regulation and control of your curriculum.
    I've actually tried this. Trying to start it again now. it was a beautiful thing. But there are a couple of things here:

1. you won't make it part of the educational system per se - it won't be a class, unless it is a charter school, where I actually did have a class. In the public system, they are already cutting classes and PE is down to one day a week in the schools in my city. what I WAS able to do was become part of the after care program. So, I'd teach the kids in aftercare who signed up for an hour.

2. the schools may not like paying for it. I was getting paid by the city school board and was cut during school consolidations and budget cutting. I was teaching in about 8 schools around the city. The charter school I mentioned above was different - that class was part of a grant someone else had for fitness training and health education, which sparked my idea, an idea that I am working on getting started now.

3. you may have to change the curriculum, teaching style, etc when dealing with kids, especially if you have a large group. kids have a short attention span and DO NOT like repetition. more than 10 - 15 minutes of doing the same thing and you lose them, especially in a big group and their friends being with them. you have to constantly keep them going and keep them doing something different.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter