Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun techniques in Movies/Film

Wing Chun techniques in Movies/Film

It seems that many of the unique Wing Chun martial art techniques taught by the Old Masters can be appreciated by watching the choreographed moves of action fighters on the Big Screen. Initially, you are able to get a sense for a technique you may feel like incorporating into your own practice by observing the effect/results proposed in the action scenes of movies such as Ip Man 3 with Donnie Yen. TCMA training was not comprised as a sport-fighting venue. Wing Chun was developed for survival. Starting with the advent of Bruce Lee these movies are great advertisement for the ART. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7b7tTjLOI
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 08-22-2016 at 11:14 PM.

I think Ip Man (1) was one of the greatest martial arts films to date.

Glad to see you posting sir.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    It seems that many of the unique Wing Chun martial art techniques taught by the Old Masters are best observed and learned by watching the choreographed moves of action fighters on the Big Screen.
    Interesting post. But aren't these actors and movie directors guided by current day WC 'masters'?

So the only way to see wing chun techniques actually working anywhere is to watch a closely choreographed movie which is normally re shot over read over at a slow pace

Movies are a great advert for fantasy that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    Interesting post. But aren't these actors and movie directors guided by current day WC 'masters'?
    Yes, current WC Masters incorporating the classic WC toolkit as a means to distinguish the style in a movie setting/action storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    So the only way to see wing chun techniques actually working anywhere is to watch a closely choreographed movie which is normally re shot over read over at a slow pace

Unless someone provides some footage of an actual fight (unscripted) where a WC practitioner uses classic techniques against one or more fighters. No one was killed in Ip Man 3 but killing techniques were shown. https://wulinmingshi.wordpress.com/2...ai-tournament/
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 08-16-2016 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    No one was killed in Ip Man 3 but killing techniques were shown.

What do you mean by 'killing techniques'?

The deadly dim mak, bruv.

Or just bang his throat until it's collapse.....

Seriously, for some the current crop of movies may in fact spark ideas for use of forms otherwise unseen by the practitioner in his locale. Will it all be at a practical level ? NOPE !!!!!!! But who said you cant have some fun in training the hypothetical ? To each their own. Enjoy.

Is being a spiteful ******* really necessary?

Heh, heh. No problem. Here is a fight scene from Ip Man 3 where you can see the choreographed techniques like I was alluding to. There are even plenty of Wing Chun VS Wing Chun fights in the movie. This is what I am referring to. It is interesting to see the signature WC techniques used in movies like this that show application of the styles numerous assets, regardless of storyline geared towards entertainment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmmCBP-bBWQ
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 08-17-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    What do you mean by 'killing techniques'?
    Finishing techniques, whether they be used against human or animal.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 08-17-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Ip Man was choreographed by Sifu Au Leo Yeung, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGuaTk4B38

And this post reconfirms my move to boxing.........

Hows tricks Frosty??

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    And this post reconfirms my move to boxing.........

Hows tricks Frosty??
    Morning (here at least!) Glenn tricks aren't too bad, still doing the MMA and occasionally getting schooled at the local mma gym and seeing my clf sifu now and again,

How's the boxing going

My sifus first art was wing chun he teaches it to us on occasion still. But it's comments like this threat thay make me not admit that to anyone lol

To be honest if anyone wanted to learn to fight I'd still send them to judo and boxing and the local powerlifting gym to get bigger

Wing Chun is like the Butterfly Knives in the way they can be designed/altered for a variety of applications. http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/...utterflySwords