Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelle 'Karate Hottie' Waterson

Carano's fight was great.

Also enjoyed Michelle "Karate Hottie" Waterson's fight. I met Michelle back at a Berkeley CMAT a few years ago, before she went on Fight Girls. She was competing in wushu, believe it or not, and she was really good. Almost had her come in for a shoot, but she was in CO then. Now that she's gotten so famous, she's harder to reach. Michelle, if you're out there and remember, call me.

This so needs a video.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Also enjoyed Michelle "Karate Hottie" Waterson's fight. I met Michelle back at a Berkeley CMAT a few years ago, before she went on Fight Girls. She was competing in wushu, believe it or not, and she was really good. Almost had her come in for a shoot, but she was in CO then. Now that she's gotten so famous, she's harder to reach. Michelle, if you're out there and remember, call me.

This so needs a video.
    She can pound my makiwara anytime !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson

More on Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson, the got qi girl that got away.

Michelle 'The Karate Hottie' Waterson signs with the UFC
    Damon Martin
    FOX Sports
    APR 28, 2015 12:35a ET

LAS VEGAS, NV - FEBRUARY 07: Mixed martial artist Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson arrives at the sixth annual Fighters Only World Mixed Martial Arts Awards at The Palazzo Las Vegas on February 7, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Gabe Ginsberg/FilmMagic)

A 'Karate Hottie' will soon be fighting in the UFC Octagon.

Former Invicta Fighting Championships atomweight champion Michelle "The Karate Hottie" Waterson has signed a deal with the UFC to compete in the women's 115-pound division.

The news of her signing was reported on UFC Tonight on Monday.

Waterson comes to the UFC with a 12-4 record overall with wins in six of her last seven fights.

The 29-year-old veteran is a long-time member of the Jackson-Winkeljohn fight camp, where she works with several notable fighters, including former interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit, bantamweight Holly Holm and UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

Waterson has an impressive record against a long list of fighters, including a 2013 submission victory over No. 3-ranked UFC strawweight Jessica Penne.

Waterson is expected to debut in the UFC this summer.
    Man, if she succeeds, I'll have to split this off into her own individual threads.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not sure if this qualifies as success, but I split the thread anyway.

So I stumbled on this:
    Hottest Olympic Hopefuls: Michelle Waterson
    Posted in Sports
    Thu, Jul 14 - 1:00 am EDT | 1 month ago by Wil Reagan

Combine an exotic beauty with a killer body and you have Michelle Waterson, a new force to be reckoned with in the MMA scene. Waterson, who is of Thai descent, was born and raised in Colorado. Throughout her childhood, she trained in a variety of fighting styles, including karate, Muay Thai, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and wrestling. She made her public debut as a participant in Fight Girls, a reality show centered on female fighters, and later appeared in MTV’s Bully Beatdown. Although she began her MMA career in her hometown of Aurora in 2007, Waterson had begun fighting matches across the country by 2012. An exhilarating series of victories at Invicta FC cemented her as one to keep an eye on.

In 2015, Waterson was officially signed to UFC and instantly became one of the hottest women in the whole organization. Competing in the Women’s Strawweight division, Waterson won her debut match against Angela Magana in July 2015 and would have fought Tecia Torres at UFC 194 if it weren’t for a knee injury. With her eyes set on Rio, the so-called Karate hottie will undoubtedly continue to make a name for herself.

karatehottiemma Verified 5 months ago
    Sadly, she has her instagram set so you can't copy images, so you'll just have to go peek.

I was all "Michelle competed in the Olympics? In what?" Turns out in nothing. If you go search the Olympic site, she doesn't appear.

But she did make the Daily Mail under the same topic:
    The glamorous Team USA Olympians who are racking up thousands of Instagram followers as well as gold medals

Olympic Games start in Rio de Janiero, Brazil on August 5 and Team USA are in shape and raring to go
    Members of the US Olympic team have been showing off their honed bodies and toned physiques on Instagram
    Athletes such as swimmer Ryan Lochte and skier Julia Mancuso have racked up thousands of likes for their sexy snaps on the social media site
    Preparations for the Games have been overshadowed by Zika with several athletes voicing their concern
    Big names like cyclist Tejay van Garderen have already pulled out due to worries about the effects of the virus

By HANNAH PARRY FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 13:56 EST, 24 July 2016 | UPDATED: 14:42 EST, 26 July 2016

...Mixed martial arts Oympian Michelle Waterson posted a picture of herself in tiny shorts and a sports bra while Alana Blanchard, an Olympic surfer's, picture of herself jumping off a yacht into ocean got more than 66,000 likes on the site.

Mixed martial arts Oympian Michelle Waterson posted a picture of herself in tiny shorts and a sports bra
    Oh wait. That says Oympian. That must be something else.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bully Beatdown Michelle Waterson vs Amanda "The Queen"

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Congrats to the Karate Hottie

Well played Michelle! That was beautiful on so many levels.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Well played Michelle! That was beautiful on so many levels.
    Agreed. I watched on Saturday. An excellence performance.

Admittedly, I was mostly expecting Van Zant to win, based on all the hype surrounding her and her previous win. But Waterson's performance was perfect.

Fight Mom

FIGHT MOM
    Balancing life as a mother, a wife, and a professional MMA fighter competing in the UFC is no easy feat — but when you’re Michelle Waterson, you make it work.
    WATCH THE DOCUMENTARY
    This doc on Michelle is free access right now. It's also 2 hours 40 minutes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ESPN Body Issue: Michelle Waterson Behind the Scenes

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Michelle's roots are in Wushu

To see the Karate Hottie as a Sword Hottie, follow the link for the embedded ESPN video. I may just have to pick up this issue for research purposes.

Waterson: 'My warrior instinct was birthed with my child'
    Jul 5, 2017
    Morty Ain

This is an online exclusive story from ESPN The Magazine's Body Issue 2017, on newsstands on July 7. Subscribe today!

Michelle Waterson has been an MMA fighter for more than a decade, but she says her life -- and her career -- has never changed more drastically than when she gave birth to her daughter six years ago. For ESPN's annual Body Issue, the 31-year-old Waterson (aka the Karate Hottie) opened up to reporter Morty Ain about being an MMA mom, stretch marks and what she wants fighting to teach her daughter.

MMA is not for someone who wants to keep cute. Your body changes. You lose body fat, and that means you lose breast tissue. Your shoulders get broad, and you get scraped from the gloves. I do it because I love to do it. I could definitely be doing something else if I just wanted to look hot.

I like my Karate Hottie nickname. I think it's catchy. I don't mind saying that I'm hot. If you want to underestimate your opponent [because of her nickname], for sure, go ahead.

I was 10 when I started martial arts. It was a heavy influence on me going into adulthood. It's really given me a voice. It gave me the confidence I needed to go into the world without shying away. As a kid, I was outgoing, but I also never wanted to make anybody mad. I never spoke out. But martial arts allowed me to stand up for myself when I felt like something wasn't right or when I felt like I was being taken advantage of.

I absolutely fell in love with Muay Thai in college. We took a trip to Thailand to see family, and that's when I started exploring it. When I came back, I was going to college and working at Hooters full time. I got the opportunity to be a ring girl, and it was something fun to do and make some extra cash. I remember watching these MMA fights and saying, "Hey, I think I'd rather be inside the Octagon than out." One of the fighters -- he's a really big name now in UFC, Donald Cerrone -- overheard me and came to my work because they needed another girl for a fight. He left a note for me that said, "If you're serious about training, get your butt in the gym." I haven't looked back since.

Mark Seliger for ESPN

It was a shock when I first found out I was pregnant. A million thoughts were going through my head all at once. "What about my fight career?" Being pregnant for me was probably one of the hardest parts of my career, just because I had so many unknowns.

There is nothing that compares to the pain of childbirth. On a scale of 1-10, any pain I've taken in the ring would rank a 6, and childbirth is a 10. Now I know that if I can get through 12 hours of labor, then I can get through a 25-minute fight.

I have a warrior instinct that was birthed with my child. I was like, "OK, you're fighting for a reason now." I was hungrier and more motivated because I had somebody to take care of. I would start visualizing the fight as me being Mama Bear and someone was trying to take my cub.

Being a mother, you have to be completely selfless, and being a fighter you have to be selfish. So when I'm training, I'm 100 percent focused on training, and when I'm at home and being a mom, I have to be 100 percent focused on being a mom, switching from that fierce primal warrior instinct to being maternal and loving and caring and understanding and open to her.

For a long time, I was embarrassed about my stretch marks. Now I embrace them, because for me it was like this nest that I created to grow this little human in my body, and I'm proud of that. They are like my battle wounds.

I've finally come to a place in my heart and my soul that has embraced my body and the things that it does for me -- and the way that it makes me feel. I'm really at peace with who I am. That peace came after I had my daughter. I really gained an appreciation for the work that I put in to get my body where it needed to be.

Fighting for me has nothing to do with bludgeoning my opponent or making them bleed. To me, fighting is finding myself, battling with myself and becoming more whole with myself.

I was raised Buddhist. The meditation part of Buddhism teaches you how to be in the present moment and block everything else out. In fighting, it's important to do that, because the minute you start thinking about what happened two seconds ago, or what might happen a minute from now, that's when you pull yourself out of the moment. That's when it's dangerous, that's when you can get hurt and that's when you lose.

There is so much I can teach my daughter just by her watching me fight. She's come to every single one of my fights, and I'm hoping she's learning just by seeing what I do day in and day out, dealing with having a great victory and staying humble, and dealing with defeat and how to handle losses. All of these things are life lessons that need to be taught to a child, and what better way to do that than through your own experience?

I don't want her to see me hurt, but at the same time, when I lost my belt [in 2014], I think it was important for her to see me at that point. "I've hit rock bottom and everything is still OK. Tomorrow I get up and work my way back up the mountain." It's important for her to see that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars

WWE SUPERSTAR MIKE “THE MIZ” MIZANIN HOSTS THE SECOND INSTALLMENT OF MTV’S “THE CHALLENGE” SPECIAL “CHAMPS VS. STARS” PREMIERING NOVEMBER 21

Ten Of The Biggest Stars From Sports And Entertainment Try To Top Challenge Champs During A Special Eight-Week Series

HOLLYWOOD, CA – (October 11, 2017) – MTV’s most iconic franchise “The Challenge” is back again with the debut of an eight-week special event “The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars.” Hosted by WWE superstar and former challenge competitor, Mike “The Miz” Mizanin, “Champs vs. Stars” will feature ten of the fiercest champions from past “Challenge” seasons. The alumni go head-to-head against ten celebrity athletes and entertainers in challenge-style competitions to determine who will reign supreme. Winners will compete for a chance to take a share of the $150,000 cash prize to donate to their beloved charities. “The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars” premieres November 21st at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

“Building on the success of ‘Champs vs. Pros’ we expanded the format for the second season,” said Tiffany Williams, SVP, Original Programming for MTV. “As a WWE Superstar and former Challenge competitor, Mike ‘The Miz’ Mizanin encompasses both athlete and star, making him the obvious choice for host as he has evolved into one of the most notable names and decorated athletes across the globe.”

“After 12 years, I can’t tell you how excited I am to be back on The Challenge, this time as the host,” said Mike “The Miz” Mizanin. “I can honestly say that if it wasn’t for this iconic show, I never would’ve had the confidence to fulfill my dream of becoming a WWE Superstar. ‘The Challenge’ has evolved since my days of playing and now it’s pitting the biggest celebrity athletes against the best ‘The Challenge’ has to offer. It’s must-see television at its finest!”

Each episode of the eight-week special series will pit the two teams against each other in grueling challenges. The winning team from each challenge will nominate their most valuable player (MVP) who will receive money for their charity, be safe from elimination, and choose their team’s least valuable player (LVP) to go into elimination. The losing team will nominate their own LVP to go into elimination, and the two will compete to keep their spot in the game and ultimately, their share of $150,000 to donate to their beloved charities.

Meet the Host and Stars of “The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars:”

HOST:

Mike “The Miz” Mizanin
    Instagram: mikethemiz
    Twitter: @mikethemiz

Before evolving into “The Most Must-See Superstar in WWE History,” Mike Mizanin broke out on MTV’s “The Real World: Back to New York,” introducing his alter ego, “The Miz.” An MTV stalwart for several years, starring on several seasons of “The Challenge,” Mizanin was offered a WWE developmental contract after placing second on WWE’s “Million Dollar Tough Enough” in 2004. Over the next decade, “The Miz” climbed through the ranks to become one of the most recognizable faces in WWE. Mizanin is a former WWE Champion, two-time United States Champion, six-time Tag Team Champion and a seven-time Intercontinental Champion. He is the 25th Triple Crown Champion in WWE History, only the 14th Superstar to complete the Grand Slam, and main evented WWE WrestleMania 27 opposite John Cena and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. During his tenure with WWE, Mizanin has starred in the third, fourth and fifth installments of “The Marine” film franchise, where he plays the grizzled veteran Jake Carter. He has also starred in the comedy “Santa’s Little Helper” as well as the ABC Family original movie “Christmas Bounty.”

THE STARS:

Ariane Andrew
    Charity competing for: Black Girls Rock
    Instagram: arianeandrew
    Twitter: @ArianeAndrew

Triple threat performer Ariane Andrew is a dancer, actress and former professional wrestler. The former “Total Divas” star isn’t afraid to tell it like it is or throw down in the ring to prove a point. Ready to break new barriers, Andrew is bringing her athletic skills and conniving ways from the ring to “The Challenge.” Underestimated because of her size and swag, Andrew is not intimidated by any of the Champs and will do whatever it takes to claim the title and win money for her charity.

Josh Murray
    Charity competing for: Extra Special People
    Instagram: joshmurray11
    Twitter: @JoshAllanMurray

Best known for appearing as a contestant on “The Bachelorette” and “Bachelor in Paradise,” Josh Murray is no stranger to competition. Despite a history of striking out with love, Murray found success as a professional baseball player in his younger years and his love of sports and competition has never left him.Tall, good-looking, and athletic, Murray is certain to have the ladies swooning and the competition shaking in their sneakers.

Justina Valentine
    Charity competing for: Young Women’s Leadership Network
    Instagram: justinavalentine
    Twitter: @JustinaMusic

From her signature bright locks to her larger than life personality, “Wild ‘N Out” star Justina Valentine always manages to shine in a crowded room. This singer, rapper, and songwriter is walking into the competition with one alliance already in the bag: her fellow “Wild ‘N Out” cast member and friend, Matt Rife. With her sunny disposition, Valentine is bound to charm over a Champ or two — but does she have the physical talents to compete at the level of our resident Champs?

Kim Glass
    Charity competing for: Covenant House
    Instagram: itskimglass
    Twitter: @itskimglass

At first glance, Kim Glass is quite the force to be reckoned with. At 6 feet 3 inches, Glass led her Olympic Volleyball team to a silver medal in the 2008 Beijing Games, but she’s not all brawn. Kim was one of only three athletes featured in Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit edition. A fierce competitor, Glass is a team player and expects only the best out of herself and her teammates. She’ll be at the helm to lead the Stars as they come face-to-face with the Champs.

Matt Rife
    Charity competing for: World Wildlife Foundation
    Instagram: mattrife
    Twitter: @ItsMattRife

With his latest iconic role as one of the new hosts on MTV’s “TRL,” Matt Rife, is destined to break out even bigger. The 22-year-old stand-up comedian already made history as the youngest person ever to be cast on MTV’s “Wild ‘N Out,” where he harnessed his hilarious stand up skills. On ‘The Challenge’ he wants to show the Champs that he’s willing to go head-to-head in any physical challenge and is more than just a killer smile with perfect abs. Rife is ready to be the last one laughing when he sends those Champs home.

Michelle Waterson
    Charity competing for: MVP Vets and Players
    Instagram: karatehottiemma
    Twitter: @karatehottiemma

Don’t let her short stature and bubbly personality fool you, Michelle Waterson packs a punch. A life-long martial artist, Waterson lit up the MMA world with dazzling submission skills and lightning-quick strikes. Before joining the ultra-competitive UFC, Waterson was the #1 ranked fighter in the world and was crowned champion multiple times. Although she’s a newcomer to the franchise, Michelle is ready to earn a new title to her list as #1 on “The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars.”
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous post

Riff Raff
    Charity competing for: Nevada SPCA
    Instagram: jodyhighroller
    Twitter: @jodyhighroller

The term “Riff Raff” is usually reserved for a person who is up to no good or someone you wouldn’t want to be associated with, and at first glance, it would be easy to write off this rapper as just that. But after looking past his braids, tattoos, and eccentric fashion choices, there’s more to Riff Raff than first meets the eye. From his appearance on “From G’s To Gents,” to his transformation into a viral internet sensation, Riff Raff, also known as “Jody Highroller,” is a master of reinvention and surprise. When the power of persuasion and manipulation can be your biggest asset in this game, Riff Raff is not one to be underestimated.

Romeo Miller
    Charity competing for: Team Hope NOLA
    Instagram: romeomiller
    Twitter: @RomeoMiller

The son of hip hop royalty, Romeo Miller, formerly known as Lil’ Romeo, has a lucrative music and acting career all his own. His desire for competition isn’t stifled by the fact that he already has all the finer things that life has to offer. Miller is always up for a challenge and competing against these Champs will be no different. With celebrity charm running through his veins, Miller is certain to score a few points with the ladies while simultaneously threatening the competition.

Shawn Johnson
    Charity competing for: Hope Sports
    Instagram: shawnjohnson
    Twitter: @ShawnJohnson

They say good things come in small packages and legendary gymnast Shawn Johnson is no exception to the rule. Amongst her many titles, Johnson has four Olympic medals, including a gold in the 2008 Games. Even though she retired from gymnastics, Johnson still has the heart and drive of a competitor. At only 4 feet 11 inches, Johnson is all strength and power and despite her small size, the Champs shouldn’t underestimate her will to win.

Terrell Owens
    Charity competing for: Ky Cares Foundation
    Instagram: terrellowens
    Twitter: @terrellowens

Former NFL wide receiver, Terrell Owens, also known as T.O., is a powerhouse athlete with a colorful, and sometimes controversial, personality guaranteed to put the Champs on edge. Although he retired from football, T.O. is still extremely competitive and will stop at nothing to win. He’s used to being the alpha male on the team, and with his dominating presence, T.O. is ready to tackle “The Challenge: Champs vs Stars” like a pro.

“Champs vs. Stars” was created for MTV by Bunim/Murray Productions. Gil Goldschein, Julie Pizzi, Scott Freeman and Trish Gold serve as Executive Producers, and Matt Ruecker and Jack Reifert serve as Co-Executive Producers.

About MTV:
    MTV is a global youth culture brand inspired by music. For more information, check out mtvpress.com. MTV is a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA).

About Bunim/Murray Productions
    Bunim/Murray Productions (BMP) is the leading producer of innovative entertainment content. The Emmy Award-winning company is widely credited with creating the reality television genre with its hit series The Real World (32 seasons on MTV). BMP continued to innovate with the first reality game show, Road Rules (MTV), in 1995; the first reality sitcom, The Simple Life (E!), in 2003; and the first reality soap opera, Starting Over, in 2003. BMP’s current programming includes Keeping up with the Kardashians, Life of Kylie, Total Divas and Total Bellas (E!), The Real World, The Challenge and The Challenge: Champs vs. Pros (MTV), Project Runway and Project Runway All Stars (Lifetime), Valerie’s Home Cooking (Food Network), Born This Way (A&E), Earth Live (National Geographic), Bill Nye Saves the World (Netflix), The Selection: Special Operations Experiment (History), The Healer (TLC), Chachi’s World (go90), GloBugz (YouTube) and Ball in the Family (Facebook Watch). BMP has also produced They Call Us Monsters (PBS), Valentine Road (HBO), Pedro (MTV) and the Emmy Award-winning Autism: The Musical (HBO) for BMP Films. Based in Glendale, CA, the company was founded in 1987 by Jonathan Murray and the late Mary-Ellis Bunim, who were inducted into the Television Academy’s Hall of Fame in 2012. The company joined Banijay Group in 2010.
    Anyone ever watch this show?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Back in the Octagon for UFC 218 Dec 2.

Michelle Waterson to fight Tecia Torres on UFC 218 undercard
    12:42 PM PT
    Katie Barnes
    espnW.com

Michelle Waterson (14-5) will face Tecia Torres (9-1) on Dec. 2 in a high-profile women's strawweight bout at UFC 218 in Detroit, it was announced Tuesday.

The fight will be added to a card that already features featherweight champion Max Holloway defending his title against Frankie Edgar in the co-main event. Heavyweights Alistair Overeem and Francis Ngannou will also headline the card, which also includes two lightweight bouts and a flyweight bout.

Waterson is looking to get back into the Octagon following an April loss to Rose Namajunas, who will fight Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the strawweight title at UFC 217 on Nov. 4 in New York.

Torres has won two straight fights, defeating Bec Rawlings in February and Juliana Lima in July. Her only loss in UFC came against Namajunas in April 2016, though Torres had previously defeated Namajunas in 2013.

"Tecia has been calling me out since her last fight," Waterson said in a phone interview. "I'm just trying to give her what she wants. It'll be a great fight."
    Best of luck to both fighters!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

UFC 229: Michelle Waterson Says 'I Have More Tools In My Toolbox' Than Felice Herrig

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Michelle 'Karate Hottie' Waterson

I'm sure y'all heard about the UFC 229 post fight brawl. I'm disappointed that it overshadowed Michelle Waterson's victory.

Postfight brawl ensues after Khabib Nurmagomedov submits Conor McGregor
    play
    Oct 7, 2018
    Brett Okamoto
    ESPN Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS -- A brilliantly contested lightweight title fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor was marred by an ugly postfight incident that resulted in the arrests of three members of Nurmagomedov's team Saturday night at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena, according to UFC president Dana White.

Nurmagomedov (27-0) defended his 155-pound championship at UFC 229 by submitting McGregor (21-4) at 3:03 of the fourth round via rear-naked choke. Immediately after the bout, Nurmagomedov jumped over the Octagon and got involved in a fight with Dillon Danis, a Bellator welterweight who also is McGregor's jiu-jitsu coach.

UFC president Dana White said members of Khabib Nurmagomedov's team were "in big trouble" after a brawl broke out following his victory over Conor McGregor on Saturday night.

Ferguson back in title picture after TKO win against Pettis
    Before UFC 229's main event between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor, a multitude of undercard fights had major implications.

Moments later, two men jumped into the Octagon and began throwing punches at McGregor, who was still recovering from the contest.

White said he had spoken afterward with McGregor, who told White that he would not press charges. White said authorities had released the three members of Nurmagomedov's team late Saturday night.

Still, White told ESPN that it was "a very bad night" for the UFC and that Nurmagomedov could earn a suspension.

"Khabib diving over [the cage] was ridiculous," White said. "You know, you just won a great fight, you fought brilliantly, you're about to get the belt on and people are going to respect the fact that you fought well and you won the fight. And instead, you dive over the cage and start this huge melee with Conor's corner.

"I actually didn't allow [Nurmagomedov] to get the belt put on because I knew what was going to happen when we did it was people were going to throw whatever they had into the Octagon, so let's just get him out of here. ... Sure enough, as soon as they started going through the tunnel, exactly what I knew was gonna happen. I was like, 'We'll be lucky enough just to get him out of here without the belt.'"

The events made a mockery of what was otherwise a hard-fought, back-and-forth championship fight at the highest level.

Nurmagomedov, of Dagestan, tried to take McGregor down in the opening minute of the fight. He managed to get McGregor to a seated position on the floor, but McGregor did well stalling him there and landed several elbows to the side of Nurmagomedov's head as they jostled for position.

In a shocking moment, Nurmagomedov briefly dropped McGregor with a right hand early in the second round. As McGregor scrambled to get back to his feet, Nurmagomedov launched into a flying knee attempt and then used the opportunity to take McGregor down. Nurmagomedov spent the majority of the round in top position, working ground and pound and looking for a kimura.

McGregor, of Dublin, Ireland, stuffed Nurmagomedov's early attempts to get it to the ground in the third and went to work with his offense. McGregor scored good knees and punches to the body after a stuffed attempt, and he popped Nurmagomedov's head back with an uppercut.

Entering the fourth round, McGregor was bleeding from a small cut near his left eye. He looked tired, and Nurmagomedov executed an outside trip to get him to the floor. From there, it was a familiar sight, as Nurmagomedov did what he has done so often: passed guard, moved into side mount and eventually got the choke.

The fight was the culmination of a rivalry that has been brewing for several years. It hit a boiling point in April, when McGregor attacked a bus Nurmagomedov was riding in at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Both men said they would not respect each other after the fight, regardless of the outcome.

It was McGregor's first bout since he won the lightweight championship in November 2016. He fought Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match in August 2017, and the UFC stripped him of his belt for inactivity in April.

McGregor tweeted he was looking forward to a rematch:

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
    Good knock. Looking forward to the rematch.

2:20 AM - Oct 7, 2018
    139K people are talking about this
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips