Thread: Luke Rockhold

No one can deny a 13 sec title KO

Truth be told, I was more into Luke Rockhold's win. I know Luke's brother. Haven't met Luke yet, though. Saw him fight many years ago for Strikeforce. The middleweight belt championship was a good fight too, although it seems to be completely overshadowed by that 13 sec KO in our ADHD world.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Truth be told, I was more into Luke Rockhold's win. I know Luke's brother. Haven't met Luke yet, though. Saw him fight many years ago for Strikeforce. The middleweight belt championship was a good fight too, although it seems to be completely overshadowed by that 13 sec KO in our ADHD world.
    It is interesting that within the last 30 days, three seemingly 'unbeatable' champions have lost in dramatic fashion.

Unbeatable is just marketing...

Meanwhile...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

These comparisons are ridiculous. People are always trying to use a pro to legitimize their art. And nothing Conor does is really that unorthodox. Side kicks and spinning side kicks are certainly not done by the majority, but they are also not truly rare in MMA. As for the rest of his stuff, he makes the corkscrew work, but that's not really a rarity either. Its just that its a more lefty thing. It was actually the Weidman/Rockhold fight that had the more kungfu type weapons in use; Weidman's epic fail wheel kick and Rockhold's ?-kick (a high chambered snap kick to roundhouse at head level).

People are going to blow up McGregor's win. And he did win dominantly so not taking that away. But lets be real. Aldo didn't go 10 years without a loss by being a chump. This fight was a fluke. McGregor may have the edge, but this was a 1 in 1000 result.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    These comparisons are ridiculous. People are always trying to use a pro to legitimize their art. And nothing Conor does is really that unorthodox. Side kicks and spinning side kicks are certainly not done by the majority, but they are also not truly rare in MMA. As for the rest of his stuff, he makes the corkscrew work, but that's not really a rarity either. Its just that its a more lefty thing. It was actually the Weidman/Rockhold fight that had the more kungfu type weapons in use; Weidman's epic fail wheel kick and Rockhold's ?-kick (a high chambered snap kick to roundhouse at head level).

People are going to blow up McGregor's win. And he did win dominantly so not taking that away. But lets be real. Aldo didn't go 10 years without a loss by being a chump. This fight was a fluke. McGregor may have the edge, but this was a 1 in 1000 result.
    I have to disagree with you about the fight being a fluke. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist. He has finished 89% of his wins by knockout. He has knocked out several people who had never been knocked out including Aldo and guys with good chins like Mendes. He finished another fighter in 16 seconds and another fighter in 4 seconds! Jose Aldo is certainly no chump but he fought sloppy. He rushed McGregor and went for a power punch early without setting it up. McGregor countered him with perfect timing and knocked him out. It's the fastest finish in UFC championship history. Such things happen even to the best fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post

It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things... I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.

I disagree on McGregor/Aldo being a fluke though, unless your just meaning how fast he ended the fight. Aldo is an amazing fighter, but so is McGregor, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins a rematch.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

[QUOTE=Kellen Bassette;1289379]It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things...[quote]

The front snap is the set up. If it lands great. But its mainly to draw down the hand to check it and quickly rotate over to the head kick. Obviously, this takes some measure of hip flexibility to pull off at fight speed that most people don't really have.

[quote]I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.

I wouldn't say the whole time. He opened strong. He needed to keep the fight on the cage. Once he started fighting flat footed it started to go downhill. I don't mind Dean letting them fight. It was close to the end of the round and while he was taking shots, he was actively trying to defend and regain control of Rockhold's posture.

I disagree on McGregor/Aldo being a fluke though, unless your just meaning how fast he ended the fight. Aldo is an amazing fighter, but so is McGregor, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins a rematch.
    Not how fast. How efficiently. KO'ing Aldo on first successful blow is in the realm of being struck twice by lightning improbability.

Luke

I just copied this off the Conor-McGregor-being-compared-to-Bruce-Lee thread. There are a few more references to Luke here. I still haven't met him, and his brother has left the job where I associated with him, so I've somewhat lost contact. I just wanted to post this because...well, I don't know why really.

DEMI LOVATO
    DATING UFC'S LUKE ROCKHOLD ...

We're Cool for the Summer
    8/26/2016 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
    EXCLUSIVE

Secret's out ... Demi Lovato is dating UFC superstar Luke Rockhold -- and TMZ Sports has learned it's a romance that's been blooming for a couple months.
    Our sources tell us ... the 24-year-old singer hit it off with the 31-year-old former UFC middleweight champ earlier this year while training at Unbreakable gym in Los Angeles.
    Long story short ... we're told the two clicked right away -- and have even sent some secret inside messages to each other on social media ... including a back and forth with smiley face art on their fingers.
    Congrats!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips