Thread: What is the best way to alternate among using various types of bags?

What is the best way to alternate among using various types of bags?

I would like to start training with the following bags regularly: heavy bag, reflex bag, B.O.B. bag, and a mma man shaped dummy punch bag. The last one I want to practice grappling moves on, as well. Is it better to use them all in one day or on alternating days? If it is the former, in which order should I use them? I heave read that you should use a heavy bag no more than 3 days a week, every other day because any more than that can cause you to slow your body movements down.I guess you could call this doing a circuit, alternating among the various bags. If i am using them all on the same day, how much of a rest should I take between each bag? Any routines you can recommend for these bags would also be welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

heavy bag all day err day

trash the rest

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I agree with Bawang. I only ever used the heavy. I currently have 2. 70 and a 40. I used to have 5 heavies of different weights. The only other bag I used was a speed bag off and on and I think it was a waste of time. But if you want to know how to work a speed bag watch old training reels. Jack Sharkey is a good one. You can work head movement too.

BUT, if you have the other bags, well you bought them so use them or sell them would be my suggestion.

Like the others said, out of all of those, the heavy bag is the most useful (IMO). The only way the heavy bag will slow you down is if you start pushing with your strikes and kicks. If you also shadowbox/shadowkick, you will develop the speed, balance and recovery from a missed strike.

I have a B.O.B. bag, and it's definitely not for developing power. It is useful for practicing different angles on a stationary target that more closely approximates an actual person's mid/upper body and head, as well as things you cannot do on a heavy bag, such as some eye and neck/throat attacks, etc.

IMO, if you train with a partner, and if he knows how to hold the focus pads, that is much better than a reflex bag.

Maybe try yourself to see how many days a week feels right for each one. As for which order to do them in, I personally would do focus pads before the heavy bag, but YMMV. If you plan to use all of the types of bags you mentioned, maybe alternate a few per day to keep things fresh, with most emphasis on the heavy bag. A lot depends on how long you train, and what other things you are doing besides bag work.

this guy sounds rich he can buy many bags. if u got balls hang 2 heavy bags in front behin u punch both and dodge them. this is called shaolin sandbag skill

The HB is the core, the base for all bag work.
    BOB is ok to use for fun or to work on some "target training" ( I personally use it for my stick work and with my Bokuto).
    Focus mitts are awesome IF you have a partner that knows how to hold them.
    The MMA dummy bag is great for working on throws and GNP and such.

There are many ways to use the HB and grappling dummy.
    1) Alternating rounds
    2) 3 rounds on one, 3 rounds on the other, repeat.
    3) HB for conditioning and dummy for technique work
    4) Alternate rounds of striking and grappling within the same round ex: a 5 min round with 3 min of HB and 2 of dummy or vice versa).
    and so forth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

All good advice here to the OP, not much to add that hasn't been said, other than it's absolute crap that you will slow down from daily heavy bag training. Pro MT fighters in Thailand do two sessions a day and each session train about 5 to 7 five minute rounds on the HB. Skill of sandbag was considered one of the most important Shaolin methods and it is one of the best solo exercises you can do...balance it with shadowboxing and drills, it should definitely be a mainstay in your training.

Of course, if you do know someone who knows how to correctly hold pads....that can certainly be allowed to cut into your HB time...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    I would like to start training with the following bags regularly: heavy bag, reflex bag, B.O.B. bag, and a mma man shaped dummy punch bag. The last one I want to practice grappling moves on, as well. Is it better to use them all in one day or on alternating days? If it is the former, in which order should I use them? I heave read that you should use a heavy bag no more than 3 days a week, every other day because any more than that can cause you to slow your body movements down.I guess you could call this doing a circuit, alternating among the various bags. If i am using them all on the same day, how much of a rest should I take between each bag? Any routines you can recommend for these bags would also be welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    of the bags you listed, I wouldn't worry with any except a heavy bag. BOB will not build power, and if you are sparring regularly, you can work your accuracy then. you can practice techniques on classmates - or are you only training alone? reflex and double end bags aren't needed either. you can train those reflexes sparring. how much time will you be putting in in a gym setting vs training alone?

out of curiousity, where did you read that the heavy bag can slow you down? the only way I can see that happening is if you let yourself get lazy on the bag. use your footwork, continue to use head movement, eetc. don't just stand in one spot and punch all day.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I use only a heavy bag for bag work. the bottom is hard, the top is a little softer. move all over it and it's good for pretty much every type of punch.

The movement skills move/strike/move routines are best done with mitts or thai pads.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thanks, guys. Here are 2 websites that mention the possibility of heavy bags slowing you down, especially if you hit it too hard: http://www.randylahaie.com/blog/don'...-the-heavy-bag
    punchingbagreviews.com/5-safety-training-tips-for-working-out-on-a-punching-bag
    This guy claims that it can slow you down, but it doesn't necessarily have to: http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-t...eavy-bags-suck.

I cannot always make it to class, and a don't always have a training partner available, it can be hard to train grappling by yourself, which is why I think the mma dummy may be a good idea. I would actually add one more shortcoming to the B.O.B. bag: it is very limited for practicing kicks on. You can only do kicks on it that use the side or edge of the foot, as other types of kicks will have a good chance of causing you to get injured. Even with the few ones that you can do, only light contact can be done, otherwise you will knock the B.O.B. bag over. I am now on the fence about that bag.. Two reasons why I am not totally ready to write it off just yet: 1. As Jimbo said, it allows you to train attacking certain areas of the body that would not be feasible to do on a live opponent, such as the eyes and throat. 2. You can do partner stretches on it without actually having a live partner. Granted, I an mot sure if that justifies spending $300+ on it, though.
    Last edited by phantom; 11-26-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Granted, I an mot sure if that justifies spending $300+ on it, though.
    I wouldn't waste the money on it. Get a 140 to 200 pound heavy bag or a Thai bag. You can develop all the power you need.
    If you want something fun to change up with those wrecking ball/uppercut style bags offer some different possibilities.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Focus your power Grasshooper.

This is also a personal recommendation....never thought much of speed bags or wall bags...or even old bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

one fukin month and still havent bought a **** bag

in one month if you train hard you can realize the essence of chinese martial arts.