Thread: Qinna in 'True Detective' Legit?

Qinna in 'True Detective' Legit?

Is this a QinNa technique or just made up nonsense? I have no clue how this should work. B grabs A by the collar. A crosses his forearms over B's while grabbing B's hands. A applies "a couple of pounds of pressure" and breaks B's wrists. Really?

If you are asking if the technique will work, then yes.
    More than a "couple of pounds of pressure" though and needs to be done very fast to avoid the obvious counters ( head butt, throw, knee to groin, etc..)
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Rather stupid writers....

1) You never tell someone WHAT you are going to do. Just do it or don't
    2) How stupid do you have to be to NOT realize that your hands are having pressure applied.
    3) Why would you stand there and take the pain. If you are upset enough to put your hands on someone and threaten them, you better be upset enough to hurt them - as in a knee or other technique as soon as you feel the other guy wrap his hands on yours.
    4) No one would do a Qinna slowly.

Would the technique work - if done right, very probably.

Would doing it like THAT work...only against an absolute idiot.

And what's the mechanism? A double sided inverse wrist lock? Then B could rotate his palms 180 degrees facing himself by rotation in his shoulder joints, making his elbows point towards the ceiling. That would compensate A's attempt to snap his wrist, leaving both in a rather awkward position.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    And what's the mechanism? A double sided inverse wrist lock? Then B could rotate his palms 180 degrees facing himself by rotation in his shoulder joints, making his elbows point towards the ceiling. That would compensate A's attempt to snap his wrist, leaving both in a rather awkward position.
    You are not suggesting that, because there is a counter to a technique that the technique isn't valid, are you?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

But it is only a joint lock if you have nowhere left to go. Complying as far as possible with a force that threatens to break your joint is not a counter. It is a natural reflex and the only sane thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    Rather stupid writers....

1) You never tell someone WHAT you are going to do. Just do it or don't
    2) How stupid do you have to be to NOT realize that your hands are having pressure applied.
    3) Why would you stand there and take the pain. If you are upset enough to put your hands on someone and threaten them, you better be upset enough to hurt them - as in a knee or other technique as soon as you feel the other guy wrap his hands on yours.
    4) No one would do a Qinna slowly.

Would the technique work - if done right, very probably.

Would doing it like THAT work...only against an absolute idiot.
    It's a movie. It's meant for entertainment. It's not intended to be a tactical example of a real self-defense situation. Screenwriters write scenes to develop the characters and their relationships to each other, and to move the story along. If McConnaughey's character just snapped Harrelson's wrists, for one, audiences would be "Huh?", and secondly, it would have changed the entire dynamic between the two men, and thus the entire story.

Why don't the villains in the 007 movies just shoot James Bond or slit his throat when they have him captured/knocked out, instead of concocting some bizarre, complicated method of killing him (that he can always get out of) as they tell him their plans at length?

In a similar vein, the best MA movie fight scenes are not realistic. None of them happen like in real life, which would mostly look like nothing onscreen. There are people who complain that Donnie Yen's fight scene with Collin Chou at the end of Flash Point could never happen that way in real life, like an MMA match. Well, yeah...
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-23-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Greetings,

A double lapel grab on an "old man" t-shirt was weak and laughable to begin with. Additionally, the guy up against the locker was never in any trouble: he had taken the superior position and was controlling. There was a lot that could have been done from that position besides a wrist break. It was just a moment of cinematic machismo with dialogue and nothing more.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 09-24-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It's a movie. It's meant for entertainment. It's not intended to be a tactical example of a real self-defense situation.
    That was not the original question. The original question was about if the Qinna would work or was real.

Basically, the answer is yes, there ARE Qinna techniques that do exactly what the movie did. BUT, the REAL technique would do the things I mentioned and never do it slowly the way it was depicted. Intent can be considered part of the technique.

Qinna is a curious thing for movies. They are VERY unflashy and non-movie-like. But, in reality, they are also very risky. Qinna that immobilize can work. Qinna that depend on pain compliance - you need to know that your opponent reacts to pain. Drug abusers, alcoholics, and mentally disturbed people don't always react to pain...even if you DO break something. Qinna that require absolute perfect placement and technique...may work but I would not want to gamble on it. Real situations are anything but perfect.

So, on the original question...yes the technique could work. Did they milk it for what they could get for drama - sure. That is their job. Should you pattern the use of such a technique after what you see here - not unless you like getting hurt.

Having no seen the movie and judging from this scene, it would seem that either the two characters are slated for a really big confrontation later in the film, they are slated to become allies, or there is another enemy that is going to deal with one, the other, or both of them.... So, a full on use of technique would not have allowed that part of the story to develop... But, who knows what was in the mind of the choreographer.

Quote Originally Posted by GLW View Post
    Having no seen the movie and judging from this scene, it would seem that either the two characters are slated for a really big confrontation later in the film, they are slated to become allies, or there is another enemy that is going to deal with one, the other, or both of them....
    Oh, I liked the show. A thriller in the best sense. The tension between the two is a major plot device and I don't want to spoil it. But the guy really likes his joint locks.