Thread: Pacific Rim: Uprising

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Perhaps I'll split this off into it's own thread when this production gets more underway.
    Guillermo del Toro Says He’s Still Writing the PACIFIC RIM Sequel with Travis Beacham
    by Adam Chitwood Posted 2 days ago

Filmmaker Guillermo del Toro made a splash this summer with his massive “monsters vs. robots” epic Pacific Rim. Though the Warner Bros. film carried a hefty budget, the pic did solid business at the box office, bringing in over $400 million worldwide. Del Toro always envisioned sequels to the pic in order to further flesh out the Pacific Rim world, and last we heard a follow-up was looking likely from a studio standpoint given the pic’s success at the global marketplace. Though the sequel still has yet to receive an official greenlight, del Toro recently revealed that he and screenwriter Travis Beacham are still working on the script for Pacific Rim 2. Hit the jump for more.

pacific-rim-2-sequel-guillermo-del-toro-charlie-hunnamSpeaking with IGN to promote the release of Pacific Rim on Blu-ray, del Toro confirmed that he is indeed hard at work on scripting the follow-up:

“We are writing the sequel. Travis Beacham and I are writing, so that is active. The decision to greenlight or not, that’s definitely above my pay rate.”

The Blu-ray sales of the film can’t hurt the follow-up’s chances, and hopefully the studio will make a firm decision in the coming months. It’s unclear whether the decision lies with Legendary Entertainment or Warner Bros. given that the two have since parted ways, but fans are no doubt crossing their fingers for a positive outcome either way.

Del Toro is rather busy for the next two years so he may not be in a position to direct the Pacific Rim follow-up, as he’s currently shooting the pilot for his FX series The Strain and he begins production on his next feature, Crimson Peak, in February.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Pr2

That's a classic MK comment above.

7:31 am ET
    Jul 3, 2014
    Film
    Guillermo Del Toro on ‘Pacific Rim 2,’ ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ and More
    By Michael Calia

Guillermo Del Toro at the ‘Pacific Rim’ premiere last July in Los Angeles.
    Dee Cercone/Everett Collection

Guillermo Del Toro is a busy man.

His new vampire horror series, “The Strain,” will soon premiere on FX, he’s currently in postproduction on the upcoming Gothic horror film “Crimson Peak,” and he starts designing the recently announced “Pacific Rim” sequel in mere weeks.

But that’s not all. The prolific director, producer and writer talked to Speakeasy in a wide-ranging, exclusive telephone interview, touching on what to expect from his plans for the “Pacific Rim” universe, how he thinks “Pacific Rim” compares to that other giant monster movie produced by Legendary Pictures, and whether he hopes that his dream project, a long-gestating adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness,” will make it to the big screen.

Here’s part one of our interview. Check in soon for part two, which covers “The Strain.”

You’re in a bit of a horror mode right now, between “The Strain” being set to debut and “Crimson Peak” in postproduction. What can audiences expect from the latter?

It’s the first time I’ve tackled an adult story in English. When I had that terrible experience with “Mimic” in 1997, I decided to go for more action-oriented, comic book-oriented things to be done in English, and to do my more personal, my more adult-themed things in Spanish. Up until “Crimson Peak,” it’s been that way. With “Crimson Peak,” it’s the first time I’m able to articulate some adult concerns with a very elegant and sedate and visually rich world because I found great support with Legendary Pictures. Legendary basically has become a home for me, and I made it abundantly clear that “Crimson Peak” wouldn’t be something with cats jumping out at you. It was creepy, and it was eerie, but it was going to play by more idiosyncratic rules than the normal horror movie. And they were completely supportive of it.

With this support from Legendary, do you have any hope that your adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft’s “At the Mountains of Madness” will be made?

That’s exactly what I discussed with them. I said to them, that’s the movie that I would really love to do one day, and it’s still expensive, it’s still … I think that now, with the way I’ve seen PG-13 become more and more flexible, I think I could do it PG-13 now, so I’m going to explore it with [Legendary], to be as horrifying as I can, but to not be quite as graphic. There’s basically one or two scenes in the book that people don’t remember that are pretty graphic. Namely, for example, the human autopsy that the aliens do, which is a very shocking moment. But I think I can find ways of doing it. We’ll see. It’s certainly a possibility in the future. Legendary was very close to doing it at one point, so I know they love the screenplay. So, we’ll see. Hopefully it’ll happen. It’s certainly one of the movies I would love to do.

Guillermo Del Toro directing on the set of 1997′s ‘Mimic.’
    Miramax/Courtesy Everett Collection

If it doesn’t work out, what are the chances we see (Lovecraft’s) Cthulhu appear as a kaiju in a “Pacific Rim” movie?

(laughs) Not really. I think there’s a really strong possibility we can do it (“At the Mountains of Madness”) at Legendary because now they are at Universal, and Universal, you may remember, almost greenlit the movie. The fact that we now have two studios together that love the material, and if they support each other, they are risking a lot less. It would be great to do it, but I’ve understood that you don’t plan your career, it just happens.

Without spoiling anything, what can fans expect from “Pacific Rim 2″?

We are three years away, so to spoil anything would be fantastically silly of me. What I can tell you: [screenwriter Zak Penn] and I really went in, we started with [screenwriter Travis Beacham] about a year and a half ago, kicking ideas back and forth. And, admittedly, I said to Zak, let’s keep kicking ideas till we find one that really, really turns the first movie on its ear, so to speak. (…) It was hard to create a world that did not come from a comic book, that had its own mythology, so we had to sacrifice many aspects to be able to cram everything in the first movie. Namely, for example “the Drift” (editor’s note: the neural link between pilots of the giant robots, or jaegers), which was an interesting concept. [Then there was] this portal that ripped a hole into the fabric of our universe, what were the tools they were using? And we came up with a really, really interesting idea. I don’t want to spoil it, but I think at the end of the second movie, people will find out that the two movies stand on their own. They’re very different from each other, although hopefully bringing the same joyful giant spectacle. But the tenor of the two movies will be quite different.

What can you tell me about the animated “Pacific Rim” series? Do you know which network will carry it?

We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks. We’re formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route, but the series tackles the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (editor’s note: a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train), but also cadets learning how to become pilots. All of this happens prior to the first movie, and it gives you a little more depth into the background of certain characters that will appear in the second movie. So it’s really expanding the material. I was incredibly happy with the comic book series that came about from a graphic novel called “Tales From Year Zero,” and we are continuing the tales for the next three years. So by the time the second movie comes out, you will have probably one year of the animation airing, and you will have three years of the comic book series ongoing, so we are trying for all these things to be canon, to be in the same universe, to not wing anything, so that if anyone … a lot of kids, for example, have discovered “Pacific Rim” through the toys. They come in through the toys, and then they watch the movie, and then they learn this, they learn that through the movie or the comic book series, so we’re trying to make it canon so we can expand the universe. And by the time we come into the second movie, you have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle.

What did you feel about Gareth Edwards’ “Godzilla”? Do you feel like you have to top it?

Well, it’s a very different tone. What is great about Gareth is that he went for a really, an almost-Spielberg shock-and-awe tone that is very different from “Pacific Rim.” The thing is, when you deal with a world that has a single anomaly, meaning you have basically one monster or two battling each other, then you can take a darker tone and be metaphorical. Or when you have a single robot — namely, for example, Brad Bird’s “The Iron Giant” — you can, once again, be more reflective and build deeper into a theme than when you have to … this is a world where giant robots are possible, giant monsters are possible. So the tone has to be … I decided that it had to be more like an adventure movie. I used two analogies that were pretty invisible in the first movie: one was a sports movie, and the other was a western. I tried to bring characterization on the move. My main two characters, both [Charlie Hunnam] and [Rinko Kikuchi], play characters that have less lines than any other characters in the movie almost. They talk very little. You know them by the way they behave, the way they do and do not. In “Godzilla,” what was great is that you had this Spielbergian sense of scope and adventure, and a much darker tone. So, they don’t intersect tonally at all.

Charlie Hunnam, left, and Rinko Kikuchi in ‘Pacific Rim.’
    Warner Bros./Courtesy Everett Collection

Do you plan on expanding the cast and adding new characters in “Pacific Rim 2″?

I’m hoping to bring the same idea I had in the first movie, that was to make it multicultural and humanistic as much as possible, to make characters from many nationalities or gender, to make them equal in the scope of the adventure, in the day-to-day of the adventure. So, we’re bringing a few characters that are new and hopefully doing good work managing those that survived the first movie. (laughs)

When do you expect production to start on “Pacific Rim 2″?

I start designing in six weeks. It takes me nine months to design a movie like that. People see the movie, and they have to see that we designed everything in the movie, from ID cards or patches, pamphlets, posters, signs, sets. I start with a core team for about six months designing the jaegers and the kaiju, you know, so we know how many kaiju, how many jaegers. We are creating some new jaegers and a lot of new kaiju. We start [designing the production] in August.

Follow @Michael_Calia on Twitter, or write to him at michael.calia@wsj.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Boyega

I like Boyega. He is hilarious in interviews.

‘Star Wars’ John Boyega Takes Lead In ‘Pacific Rim’ Sequel
    by Mike Fleming Jr
    June 6, 2016 9:30am

REX/Shutterstock

EXCLUSIVE: Legendary Pictures has set Star Wars: The Force Awakens star John Boyega for the lead role for the second installment of its Pacific Rim franchise. Steven S. DeKnight is directing the film, which will begin production in the fourth quarter of this year, based on the world created by Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham. Boyega will play the son of the character played by Idris Elba in the del Toro-directed original film. Universal will release the film worldwide, everywhere but China. The 2013 original grossed $411 million.

Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Jon Jashni, and del Toro will produce the action adventure film along with Boyega and Femi Oguns under their Upper Room Productions shingle. Cale Boyter is executive producer. The picture is a beach head project for Legendary, under the leadership of Parent, who became Tull’s vice chairman of Worldwide Production after Jashni exited to start his own venture. The principals have confirmed to Deadline they found their man in Boyega.

“It is undeniable that with all his talent and natural charm, John stands out amongst today’s generation of young leading men,” said Parent.

Said del Toro: “I am very proud and happy to welcome John into a fantastic sandbox. The Pacific Rim universe will be reinforced with him as a leading man as it continues to be a multicultural, multi-layered world. ‘The World saving the world’ was our goal and I couldn’t think of a better man for the job.”

Boyega, whose breakout came with Attack The Block, next stars with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson in The Circle, and follows The Force Awakens with Star Wars: Episode VIII, as well as the animated BBC miniseries Watership Down opposite James McAvoy and Ben Kingsley. Boyega will make his stage-starring debut on the West End in Woyzeck at The Old Vic, next year.

He is repped by WME and Identity Agency Group in the UK and Hansen Jacobson.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Indie thread starts now.

Copied the posts above from the original Pacific Rim thread.

‘Pacific Rim 2’ Adds Chinese Actress Jing Tian
    Justin Kroll Film Reporter @krolljvar

JOHN SALANGSANG/BFA/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
    SEPTEMBER 21, 2016 | 04:52PM PT

Jing Tian has joined the cast of Legendary’s “Pacific Rim 2” starring John Boyega.

Scott Eastwood also toplines with Steven S. DeKnight is directing.

Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Jon Jashni, and Guillermo del Toro will produce the action-adventure along with Boyega and Femi Oguns under their Upper Room Productions shingle. Cale Boyter will serve as the film’s executive producer.

The first “Pacific Rim,” directed by del Toro, also starred Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Charlie Day, and Robert Kazinsky.

“Pacific Rim” was set in the near future with Earth at war with the Kaiju, monsters that emerged from an interdimensional portal at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. The movie went on to gross more than $411 million at the worldwide box office.

Boyega will play the son of Elba’s character, who sacrificed his life in the original film. It’s still unclear who Tian will play.

The film begins production this November in Australia and will also film a portion in China. It will be released by Universal Pictures on Feb. 23, 2018, worldwide, with the exception of China.

Jing can be seen next in Legendary’s “The Great Wall” as well as in “Kong: Skull Island.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Maelstrom begins

From Finn's Instagram.

jboyega_Sydney, Australia
    Follow
    First day on Pacific Rim today. Here's to a great adventure ahead ✌🏿
    58.1k likes
    1d
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Zhang Jin

Working that China market for sure.

Chinese Action Star Zhang Jin Joins ‘Pacific Rim 2’
    Dave McNary
    Film Reporter
    @Variety_DMcNary

VINCENT YU/AP/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK

NOVEMBER 21, 2016 | 04:32PM PT
    Legendary Entertainment has tapped Chinese action film star Zhang Jin for “Pacific Rim 2,” joining Jing Tiang, John Boyega, Scott Eastwood and Cailee Spaeny.

Other Chinese actors in the sequel, which has been filming in Australia, include Wesley Wong, Lily Ji, Chen Zitong, Lan Yingying and Qian Yong Chen with cameos by Xiao Yang and Korean actor Kim Jeong-Hoon.

Steven S. DeKnight is directing, based on the world created by Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham. Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Jon Jashni, and del Toro are producing along with Boyega and Femi Oguns under their Upper Room Productions shingle. Cale Boyter and Eric McLeod are executive producers.

“We are very excited that we have such amazing Chinese talent joining us on ‘Pacific Rim’ our new story has a strong connection to China and this great Chinese cast will help us bring it to life,” said Dr. Jack Gao, an exec with Beijing Wanda Cultural Industry Group, which owns Legendary Entertainment.

Zhang Jin’s credits include “The Grandmaster,” “Ip Man 3,” “SPL 2,” “The Man from Macau” and “Kill Zone 2.” He was Zhang Ziyi’s stunt double in “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.”

The film will be released Feb. 23, 2018 by Universal Pictures around the world with the exception of China.

“Pacific Rim” was set in the near future with Earth at war with monsters that emerged from an interdimensional portal at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. The movie went on to gross more than $410 million at the worldwide box office and starred Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Charlie Day and Robert Kazinsky.

Plot details are vague on the sequel other than Boyega playing the son of Elba’s character, who sacrificed his life in the original film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Join the Jaeger Uprising

Wait...now it's Pacific Rim: Uprising? Not Maelstrom?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pacific Rim Uprising - Official Trailer (HD)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pacific Rim Uprising - Official Trailer 2 [HD]

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Is knowing Kung Fu a stereotype?

They Don't Know Kung Fu: Why Asian Actors are Ditching Martial Arts
    How blockbusters are ditching racist stereotypes.
    By Eric Francisco on April 17, 2018

Asian movie stars have been stereotyped as kung fu masters for ages, but there’s a quiet revolution underway in Hollywood that might see them finally leave kung fu behind. All one has to do is look at two recent blockbusters.

Daniel Wu in 'Tomb Raider'

“In Tomb Raider, Daniel Wu stars opposite Alicia Vikander’s Lara Croft. He’s a drunk, roughneck captain named Lu Ren leading Lara through dangerous waters.”

Lily Ji on the set of 'Pacific Rim: Uprising".

In the ensemble of Pacific Rim Uprising, Lily Ji is Mei Lin Gao, the eldest in a cadet squad of monster fighters. She is “definitely not a stereotypical Asian character,” Ji said in an interview ahead of the film’s release. “All I would hear growing up was laundry owner, prostitute, tai chi player. I was like, man. Can we just do more? We’re all different. I’m so glad [Mei Lin] is not that. She’s not typically sexy. She has brains, she’s driven, she’s interesting. I wanted to bring independence.”

Neither of these Asian actors are kung fu fighters. Instead, they are characters, however long or short their screen time. For Wu, this was an intentional choice, because he actually does know kung fu. While working on Tomb Raider, Wu avoided using his knowledge of wushu kung fu in his portrayal of Ren.

“He’s grittier, different than anything I’ve done in Asia,” Wu tells Inverse. “When we got there [to the set] the action coordinator was like, ‘You wanna do any kung fu?’ I said, ‘No, no.’ The character is not that. He may be a bar room brawler, been in a few fights, but he is not a martial artist.”

Wu puts it another way: “It would be kind of racially insensitive to assume he’s a martial artist.”

Proficiency with kung fu wasn’t always considered a racist stereotype, but for a long time, it has been. In the early Twenties, [[[Sessue Hayakawa was one of Hollywood’s first — and highest-paid — heartthrobs, in movies like The Cheat (1915) and The Temple of Dusk (1918).

But his career came to a halt when “talkies” made Hayakawa’s accent obvious, which was poorly timed with rising anti-Asian prejudice in the United State in the United State in the United State in the United States. From then on, Asian characters became sidekicks, servants, or mustached villains. Many times, they weren’t even Asian actors; check out Academy Award winner Marlon Brando as “Sakini” in 1956’s The Teahouse of the August Moon and gaze in horror.

Then, Bruce Lee came out of nowhere, in 1966’s The Green Hornet on TV. A human wrecking ball who demolished stereotypes with his fists, Bruce Lee became an icon revered after his untimely death in 1973. But just as the star of Enter the Dragon broke stereotypes in portraying a physically imposing Asian male, he left behind new ones, too. “Kung Fu Masters” became a new archetype for the still-rare instances of Asian characters in American pop culture.

Sessue Hayakawa 1918
    Sessue Hayakawa, in the July 1918 issue of Moving Picture World. In his heyday, Hayakawa was one of Hollywood’s highest-paid actors and a celebrated sex symbol who embodied an image of exotic masculinity rarely seen today.

Historically, heroic Asian characters like Lu Ren have been martial artists, such as Jet Li in The Expendables, Lucy Liu in Charlie’s Angels, Lee Byung-hun in G.I. Joe, Louis Ozawa Changchien in Predators, Jay Chou as Kato in The Green Hornet (a role made famous by Bruce Lee). The list goes on. For non-Asian actors, it’s never a concern if their characters know martial arts or not. But for Wu’s Lu Ren, it’s almost revelatory, as a small but significant step in diverse representation: that an Asian character can kick ass without kung fu.

“Yeah, it’s a bit [of a] stereotype,” Chinese actress Lily Ji tells Inverse. “I hope Hollywood can show Asian characters in different aspects apart from martial arts masters. We obviously can do more.”

As Mei Lin Gao, Ji pilots the war machine (called “Jaegers”), Saber Athena. To prepare for the role, Ji trained extensively in martial arts, but only to physically acquaint herself to the punch and kick movements of a rock ‘em, sock ‘em robot. It’s a gray area, but generally speaking, Mei Lin Gao is no “kung fu girl.”

“She’s definitely not passive or awkward. I really hate that they portray us as passive. I didn’t want her to be like that,” she says. “I portrayed her as this proactive, determined, ‘Strive for better’ type. She’s also [like], ‘If you boys can do this, I can do this too.’”

Wu and Ji know their presence in their films came from “conscious efforts” to encourage Chinese box office revenue. In concert with the rise of a middle class, economists predict China will eclipse the United States as the largest movie market in the world, if it isn’t already already. In 2017, Hollywood films like The Fate of the Furious, Kong: Skull Island, and Transformers: The Last Knight made up 46 percent out of $8.6 billion grossed in mainland China. Hollywood is doing all it can to encourage Chinese ticket buyers, not the least of which includes featuring more Chinese characters. But results have been mixed. Most Asians still occupy the background as set extras, and few get to help save the day. An exclusive scene shot for China, in 2013’s Iron Man 3 where Tony Stark is saved by Chinese doctors, was criticized by native audiences as an obvious effort at pandering.

Bruce Lee, though a cinematic icon deserving of his status, also left behind "martial artist" as a character stereotype for Asian characters.

Daniel Wu (left) willingly did not choose martial arts as a character trait in his role as "Lu Ren" in 2018's 'Tomb Raider.'

Lil Ji, in 'Pacific Rim: Uprising.'

“We have the biggest box office at the moment, so I think people [are] really trying to get in,” Ji tells Inverse. Both sides of the Pacific “are trying to figure out how to do this but maintain our identity and our stories.”

There will be more characters like Lu Ren, Mei Lin, and Rose in 2018’s Hollywood action movies: Queens rapper Awkwafina will star in the female-led Ocean’s Eleven reboot Ocean’s Eight in June; Randall Park will play FBI Agent Jimmy Woo in Ant-Man and the Wasp this July; Korean actress Claudia Kim will be in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald; and Ludi Lin will play Murk, a merman/army general, in the DC superhero film Aquaman this December. This is the small but emerging class of Asian characters that, somehow, are allowed to be more than the “kung fu man/woman” in their respective ensembles.

“It’s very early,” Ji adds, before offering up a solution: Create characters, not set dressing.

“I remember [working on] Transformers 4, that was my first one after graduation. It was kind of stereotyped,” she says. “Few [Chinese] symbols in [the background], nothing to do with the story. I think humanity and stories are the most important thing for the success of a film. Focus on story and the essence of human beings. That would be the thing to do.”

While Hollywood studios have a financial incentive to attract Asian audiences, it will take more than just casting Asian actors in supporting bits. “It does come from financial interest in creating a bigger audience for China,” Wu says. “But I think it’s a good opportunity, and really run with it and create a three dimensional character for an Asian character that we haven’t really seen on the big screen. In America, at least.”

Photos via YouTube.com/Movieclips, Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Bros., Wikimedia / Nesnad
    Written by Eric Francisco
    I get this, particularly from Daniel because we talked about this, but I wouldn't call Asians doing Kung Fu racist anymore than African Americans doing hip hop racist or Mexicans playing mariachi music racist. It's tricky because if that's all they are seen as doing, it is stereotyping, but when culture becomes racist, this gets rather murky.

THREAD
    Tomb Raider 2018
    Pacific Rim: Uprising
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips