Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noodles

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Noodles

Northerners favor noodles, Southerners favor rice. But..Mein is also very southern. So is there a blending of north and south? Choy Li Fut comes to mind. Wu Dip jeung from Hung-Ga as well, so which is better? Noodles or Rice?

okay, I started this thread as a kind of joke from another thread, but...seeing where it's going...and I'm gettin kinda hungry...
    I love chow fun, and ngau yuk chow mein-not LaChoy American Chow Mein, but the real McCoy-pan fried noodles, and speaking of rice dishes, siyao gai fon-soy sauce-chicken over rice.There's a great rice shop in Flushing where you can order tonnage of great food-siyao gai, duck, roast pig, cha siew, for about 4 bucks a plate!
    Also I love lop cheung (those red sausages) and lop yuk-which is a dried pork something-I can't identify it but it's amazing-anyone know recipies which use them? yes, I have broken the cardinal rule never to eat anything I can't identify, but face it, nobody can really identify gumbo either.

Depends on what kind of noodles. So many varieties:

la mian (wheat noodles)
    dan dan mian (dan dan noodles)
    mi fen (rice vermicelli)
    shanghai mian (the fat round style of noodles)
    lao si fen (brunei style of noodles)
    he fen (broad rice noodles)
    etc...

and the all time best, gong zi mian (gong jai mien) the instant MSG death noodles.

hey, for rice, would you include mi zhou (mai juk / congee) ?

I like
    Shou La Mien (North) & Fukien Chao Fan(South)

You want to try the noodles for texture and variety and the rice to fill you up and nurture you.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

kung Lek,

why don't you eat more noodles and that too would fill you up.

Unlike northern kung fu vs southern kung fu, where the north is better than the south, the same analogy cannot be applied to noodles and rice!

rice is a type of grass (plant) whereas noodles are a manufactured product. There isn't such as thing as noodle plant. on the otherhand, noodles can be made from wheat, rice, potato or other types of starch. The Italians learned to make noodles from wheat through the chinese.

Ego Maximus is always right.

Zha Jiang Mian- Black Bean Noodle

I live in a Korean neighborhood, and it's one of the best and cheapest things around. Yellow noodles swimming in a black bean sauce, with shredded cucumbers on top and kimchi on the side. I went to Beijing too, and tried a bowl at Lao Beijing Zha Jiang Mian- it was pretty good, a little on the salty side, but I liked it because it had more good tasting vegetables.

I heard that in Japan, Morioka prefecture, there is also a version called jajamen. I've seen some pictures of it on the internet and it seems that they use way less sauce than the Chinese and Korean versions. It doesn't even seem like they have any meat in their sauce either. Has anyone tried the Japanese version before?

One more thing- does anyone know how to make this dish? I've tried at least a dozen times this summer, and it comes out different everytime. It's not TOTALLY bad tasting, but it's unlike any of the versions I tasted. I guess it's just different. Does anyone here have a recipe?

...and yes, I know this is a kung fu forum.

ttt 4 2016!

Noodles or rice? Depends on what kind of noodles...or hot pots, or dumplings...

China Busts 35 Restaurants for Using Opium Poppies as Seasoning
    Associated Press 3:01 AM ET
    Mark Schiefelbein—AP

A man walks past a branch of the Hu Da hot pot restaurant chain in Beijing, Jan. 22, 2016.

Five restaurants are being prosecuted while 30 others are under investigation

(BEIJING) — China’s Food and Drug Administration says it found opium poppies used as illegal seasoning in 35 restaurants across the country, including a popular Beijing hot pot chain.

Five restaurants are being prosecuted while 30 others, ranging from Shanghai dumpling joints to noodle shops in southwestern Chongqing, are under investigation.

Cases of cooks sprinkling ground poppy powder, which contains low amounts of opiates like morphine and codeine, in soup and seafood are not new in China, though it is unclear whether they can hook a customer or deliver a noticeable buzz.

Shaanxi Province police busted a noodle seller in 2014 after being tipped off by a failed drug test. Seven restaurants were closed in Ningxia Province in 2012 for using the additive and Guizhou Province shut down 215 restaurants in 2004.

Why is this in the Southern Chinese Kung Fu forum again?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Noodles or rice? Depends on what kind of noodles...or hot pots, or dumplings...
    I kill two birds with one stone. Since I have a gluten sensitivity/intolerance, I now eat noodles made of brown rice. Tastes the same as wheat noodles, and better for you.

And since I do my own cooking, sometimes I eat noodles WITH rice. Depends on the noodle dish I make.

Of course, I could eat rice every day... just like noodles ! https://www.google.com/search?q=chin...HfREALAQsAQIKQ

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hello everyone in the meric. i hear the white in the north eat potatos while the in the south eat the corn. so mysterious. which do you like?
    Nope. both north and south tend to eat both and at the same time. We also like to eat noodles and rice. We call it spaghetti . It was the reason we sent Marco Polo to China. We wanted their spaghetti. We already had the rice.

Have you ever had Scottish corn?

So this amazing restaurant opens up in Flushing
    Called Biang! I think there's also one in NYC.
    Their specialty is Xian style cuisine.
    Hand pulled noodles with hot oil is awesome. So is the oxtail and lamb burgrrs.
    Recently changed hands..now it is xian fast food..take out and counter eating..still good.
    If you sre in the srea you should check it out.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.