Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noodles

Longtaitou Festival

LOOK: 2,000 Henan villagers slurp up noodles cooked in a single massive pot

To mark the annual Longtaitou Festival (龙抬头) yesterday, some 2,000 villagers attended a temple fair to eat noodles served in a massive pot at the Bailong Temple in Anyang county, Henan province.

The traditional Chinese agricultural festival, held annually on the second day of the second month of the Chinese lunar calendar, marks the start of spring and the farming season.

The villagers in attendance believed that the celebration would help to avoid mishaps and prevent illness over the year. Hopefully the noodles tasted alright as well.

On this special day, besides eating noodles, people from across China also eat Chinese pancakes, light up dragon lanterns, pray for luck and, of course, get their (children's) hair cut.

Remember to mark your calendars next year!
    By Lucy Liu
    [Images via NetEase]
    2000 Henanese can eat a lot of noodles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    Anyone ever tried to make Ramen or Lamian? The secret ingredient are the alkaline salts aka Kansui. Much like pretzels. But people seem to disagree whether baking soda, baked baking soda or even lyme could be used instead of original Kansui.
    I experimented a few times.

It depends on the gluten level of the flour and the type of alkaline component. I used baking soda, but the elasticity wasn't quite right. And also I needed a lot of practice on stretching the noodles.

I got some gan sui from the asian market a while back, but haven't tried it out yet. It's on my list of things to do this year.

I've been eating way more rice than noodles over the last few weeks, a major craving. Must be some logical explanation besides the way rice can be more filling and last longer to curb hunger. Of course the taste is unique. Rice stands alone in that way.

Slightly OT

Granted, this is an ad, for Japanese noodles no less, but it's cool.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

copied into an indie Noodles thread

All the posts above I copied off the Noodles-or-Rice thread. I've been poaching that thread for all my rice and noodles news pieces. Noodles really need their own thread here.

DOWN AND OUT.
    PHOTOGRAPHER: NELSON CHING/BLOOMBERG

China's Progress Is Killing the Instant Noodle
    SEP 28, 2016 8:00 PM EDT By Adam Minter
    Adam Minter is a Bloomberg View columnist. He is the author of “Junkyard Planet: Travels in the Billion-Dollar Trash Trade.”

A crumpled instant-noodle bowl ground into the mud is an unlikely symbol of economic vitality. But during China's boom years those bowls were as ubiquitous around Chinese construction sites as the high-rise cranes above them.

That was no accident. For millions of Chinese workers, instant noodles were the convenient meal of choice, available for a few cents in every commissary and convenience store. And China's instant-noodle makers prospered. Between 2003 and 2008, annual instant-noodle sales expanded to $7.1 billion from $4.2 billion.

But just as China's economy has slowed, so too has its appetite for instant noodles. Earlier this month, Tingyi, China's biggest noodle maker, was removed as a component of Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index after seeing its noodle profits drop 60 percent. China's instant-noodle sales are down 6.75 percent this year, the fourth consecutive year of decline.

The first problem is demographics. China's instant-noodle makers grew in parallel with an economic boom that was fueled by the migration of low-cost workers from the countryside. But China's working-age population has been in decline since 2010, and in 2015 the migrant population fell for the first time in 30 years. With more workers staying home, the incentive - and desire - to eat a prepackaged bowl of noodles was likely to decline, and it has.

There's also the matter of the slowing economy. In 2015, sales growth of inexpensive food and consumer products hit a five-year low, according to a June study from Bain. Declines were particularly steep in products that cater to blue-collar workers, such as cheap beer (down 3.5 percent) and instant noodles - a phenomenon that Bain partly blames on Chinese jobs migrating to lower-wage countries.

What's bad for noodle makers is great for many others. Rising wages have improved living standards and expectations for millions of Chinese workers. Pay a visit to a southern Chinese factory these days, and the food options are much improved. With employees becoming more scarce, benefits like better food are becoming increasingly important.

China's workers are also able and willing to pay more for their day-to-day needs. According to one recent Chinese consumer survey, half of China's consumers now seek out the "best and most expensive" product. A 25-cent bowl of instant noodles doesn't make the grade.

Then there are health concerns. Instant noodles have developed a nasty reputation in China thanks to scandals and rumors and a 2012 food-poisoning incident. There are long-standing allegations that noodles are contaminated with plasticizers. Legitimate or not, scandals don't help the reputation of a down-market product that's loaded with salt and preservatives.

Even with these problems, instant noodles had the advantage of convenience. Now even that edge is being dulled. The streets of Chinese cities are swarmed by motorcycle and bicycle food-delivery men and women racing to deliver orders that are competitive in price with Chinese fast food. In 2015, the value of those deliveries was $20 billion - up 55 percent from 2014. Fast, healthier options are just an app away, even for students and factory workers.

China's instant-noodle makers and importers are struggling to re-start growth. But these days there's competition from South Korea, with its far superior food-safety reputation. One option is to sell noodles to other emerging Asian economies such as Vietnam, where consumption is still growing along with the manufacturing sector. That won't make up for China's shrinking market, but China's new class of consumers don't offer more enticing options.

This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

To contact the author of this story:
    Adam Minter at aminter@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story:
    Jonathan Landman at jlandman4@bloomberg.net
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Packing noodles

31% of Chinese tourists pack instant noodles when traveling abroad

With China descending into total madness, some sharp tourists are fleeing abroad this week, taking with them bundles and bundles of instant noodles.
    31% of Chinese tourists will bring the convenient if toxic snack with them when traveling overseas, according to a recent study by Alitrip, Alibaba's travel booking website, and wacai.com, a personal finance management app. Another 58% will just buy them when they reach their destination.
    While 589 million tourists will be traveling around the mainland during Golden Week, another 6 million are also heading abroad, mostly to South Korea, Thailand and Japan.
    So, according to our math, that's nearly 2 million packages of MSG and wheat flour going overseas. However, that estimation is likely far too low, because 50% of those instant noodle carriers, also responded that they usually brought three to five packages with them to satisfy their hunger over a five-day trip.

Instant noodles have always been a popular option for Chinese tourists, leaving them with more time to shop and sightsee at their destination, and with more money in their pockets. Many prefer to slurp packages of Master Kong in their hotel rooms as an escape from the unfamiliar and pricey local cuisine.
    In response to this popular practice, in 2013, luxury resorts in the Maldives stopped providing hot water for Chinese travelers. During his visit to the Maldives the next year, Chinese President Xi Jinping brought up this international incident and urged Chinese travelers to "Eat less instant noodles and more local seafood."
    Seems like they didn't get the message.

In the event of emergency, instant noodle cups can also be used as a weapon.
    [Images via Xinhua]
    Guilty as charged, at least when backpacking (but that's the only time I pack instant noodles).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mr. Lee’s Noodles Shaolin Monk Vegetables

The Ramen Rater - FTW!

Meet The Manufacturer: #2200: Mr. Lee’s Noodles Shaolin Monk Vegetables

I think I was talking about Kung Fu Theater and David Carradine’s career the other day. He played Grasshoppe – a pupil of the Shaolin on that show. Still bugs he; why didn’t they get, oh – I don’t know… A more fitting person to play a Chinese martial arts student? Maybe someone.. Chinese? Anyways, it’s veggie time – let’s get it on!

Detail of the side panels (click to enlarge). Looks to be meat free but check for yourself. to prepare, add boiling water to ridge line (just below lip of the cup) and stir. Cover for 3 minutes. stir and enjoy!

The noodle block.

Bits from the bottom of the cup.

Finished (click to enlarge). The noodles hydrated very well. As with the other varieties, they’re flat and medium breadth rice noodles. The broth is light with a slight sweetness to it. The real star of this one are the vegetables, of which there are a multitude. This probably has more real estate taken up by vegetables than any instant anything I’ve ever had – something I really liked with this one. Good show! 5.0 out of 5.0 stars. EAN bar code 0641243998725.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Mr. Lee’s Noodles Tai Chi Chicken

Mr. Lee's Noodles sure capitalize on Chinese martial arts. The logo is a little racist in that *****y sort of way. It reminds me of Sambo in the old Sambo's restaurants.

Meet The Manufacturer: #2199: Mr. Lee’s Noodles Tai Chi Chicken

Tai chi makes me think of the slow moving exercise many people do in large groups. This is an instant noodle blog though and so you get 3 minutes to do your tai chi! This is the chicken noodle – the basis of where all instant noodles come from. I believe a company’s chicken instant defines them. Let’s give it a look!

Detail of the side panels (click to enlarge). Contains chicken. to prepare, add boiling water to ther ‘ridge line’ (just below the lip of the cup). Stir and cover for 3 minutes. Stir and enjoy!

http://i2.wp.com/www.theramenrater.c...003a.jpg?w=300

The noodle block.

Some of the seasoning and bits of vegetable and chicken from the inside bottom of the cup.

Finished (click to enlarge). The noodles came out as always – well hydrated and of good quality. They’re thin and broad – plentiful too. The broth was a on the bland side. The vegetables were excellent – green beans and corn were well hydrated as well as cubes of real chicken. 3.0 out of 5.0 stars. EAN bar code 0641243998701.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Noodle eating champ

Who’s The Best Chinese Noodle Eater Of Them All? A Frenchman, Of Course
    Chinese shocked that a "laowai unexpectedly won"

Charles Liu Charles Liu, November 29, 2016 7:40pm

A Frenchman has shocked local media winning a Chongqing restaurant’s first-ever noodle eating contest.

The competition challenged six competitors to wolf down a kilogram of meat, two kilograms of noodles, three eggs, and a kilogram of vegetables – all within 20 minutes.

The winner, a Franco-Romanian, finished his meal in 18 minutes, 40 seconds amid chants of “Jiayou“.

A story in the Chongqing Morning Report paid special attention to the two non-Chinese competitors and their mastery of the chopstick:

The two laowai each used their chopsticks to stir around the bowl to grab a clump of noodles, which they ate by leaning their head to one side.
    That description may sound like your average Zhou slurping at his noodles, but the two “laowai” also distinguished themselves by being the only two competitors to season their noodles with mala, the spicy-flowery flavoring unique to the region.

Do you have what it takes to be a Chongqing noodle eating champion? According to the report, the contest is an ongoing promotion at the restaurant, open to all customers.

Fun and games aside, China has struggled to adopt a healthy relationship with food consumption. “China is probably the only country in the world where UNICEF needs to work on over-nutrition and under-nutrition at the same time,” said Robert Scherpbier, chief of Health, UNICEF China.

This past spring, China overtook the USA to become the fattest country in the world, with 43.2 million obese men and 46.4 million obese women, each of whom face a health epidemic of obesity-related diseases. Meanwhile, UNICEF estimates that there are 12.7 million children in China who suffer from malnutrition.

Source: NetEase, CBG, CQCB, Borgen Project
    Photos: CQCB,
    Wait...what was the winner's name?

That's a lot of food.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More noodle eating contests

I didn't even know this was a thing in China.

Wuhan auntie humbles 100 expats in noodle eating contest by gulping down her bowl in 8 seconds
    BY SHANGHAIIST IN NEWS ON DEC 5, 2016 10:45 PM

While always eager to share its culture with new friends from abroad, China minces few words when it comes to deciding who is best at its own culture. That's true for kung fu, ping pong, and it certainly is that way when it comes to Chinese food -- even in a local noodle eating competition.
    Last week, a Wuhan auntie showed a roster of 100 international competitors who's the boss by wolfing down 400 grams of noodles in just 8 seconds. By comparison, the fastest time among the international competitors was 24 seconds.

The 53-year-old woman surnamed Luo apparently wasn't even part of the regular competition, having been invited on stage at the end of the contest.
    Luo was as surprised as anyone else that she won, but still chalked up her victory to one very basic reason. "When it comes to eating (local delicacy) hot dry noodles, Wuhan people are the best," she told a cheering crowd.

Luo's lack of humility happened to run against the whole purpose of the eating competition, which was reported to be a cultural exchange intended to help foreign exchange students understand Wuhan.
    Meanwhile, the eating competition seems to have offered locals a chance to laugh at their new guests. Chinese reports say the audience snickered at foreign competitors who ate using their hands instead of chopsticks because they were "unfamiliar with their use."

But such condescension was lost on 21-year-old winner Emmanuel who won 1,000 yuan for coming in first. Hailing from Togo, Emmanuel won the top prize by eating with his hands.
    "Hot dry noodles; so delicious!" he told an appreciative crowd in Chinese.

By Charles Liu
    [Images via Chutian Metropolis Daily]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

3¥ = 44¢

Customer cuts off noodle shop owner's head for 'overcharging' him 3 yuan
    BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS ON FEB 20, 2017 5:55 PM

After claiming he had been overcharged a few yuan on his bowls of noodles, one irate customer got into a fierce brawl with the noodle shop owner, which he ended by severing the owner's head.
    The incident occurred on Saturday in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province. After slurping down three bowls of noodles a 22-year-old migrant worker surnamed Hu claimed that the shop owner had overcharged him 1 yuan per bowl.
    The owner reportedly dismissively rejected the man's claims, leading to grisly altercation in which the customer beheaded the 42-year-old shop owner with a knife, depositing his head afterwards inside a nearby trash bin.

Police have arrested the suspect who comes from Sichuan province. He reportedly has a history of mental illness and violence, spending the first half of last year at a psychiatric hospital. Hu's cousin said that Hu had frequently frightened his family with his violence, even beating up his own parents.
    “I have not taught my son well. I’m really sorry,” Hu's mother told local reporters.

The shop owner had been living with his 13-year-old son after divorcing his wife 5 years ago. His friends have called him a honest man who would never overcharge a customer.
    Police have cautioned web users against sharing grisly videos and photos of the attack which have spread on Chinese social media.
    [Images via Ifeng News]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dude! I was gonna eat that!

Shanghaiist
    February 22 at 9:35pm ·
    A star is born!
    👉 http://shst.me/eof

https://www.facebook.com/shanghaiist...5488704116030/

Pause
    -1:03
    Mute
    Additional Visual SettingsEnter Fullscreen
    423K Views
    5.8K Likes 856 Comments 5.1K Shares
    Shouldn't play with your food.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

joking about Asians dying is only funny when white people do it gene.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Noodles they're alright. Name:  1460979_10152641748119278_1717419083_n.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  52.0 KB

Noodle making robot

Meh. Kind of a dumb looking robot. I'd rather it get me a beer instead.

Meet China's new celebrity chef! Wacky robot impresses foodies with its noodle cutting techniques

A university in southeast China has introduced a robotic chef to cut noodles
    The robot can make 340 cuts per minute with a similar thickness in each noodle
    Such technique is reminscent of 'Dao Xiao Mian' (knife-cut noodle) from Shanxi

By TIFFANY LO FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 12:23 EDT, 28 April 2017 | UPDATED: 15:10 EDT, 28 April 2017

A university in southeast China has a new server in its canteen making noodles for the students.

Video footage uploaded on April 25 shows a robotic chef working in the kitchen and making noodles from dough at South China Agricultural University.

The droid makes 340 cuts in every minute while creating the noodles.

A university in China used a robot chef to cut dough into strips to make noodles

University canteen staff said the robot can make 340 cuts out of the dough in every minute

According to People's Daily Online, the robot chef was placed in the canteen of South China Agricultural University in Guangdong Province.

It was given human-like facial features and can be seen wearing a face mask, hat and chef's uniform.

The robot was designed to improve the traditional way of making 'Dao Xiao Mian' which translates as 'knife-cut noodles' which is a specialty in Shanxi Province in northern China.

Traditionally, a chef will hold a large piece of dough in one hand and a knife in the other before starting to peel strips off the dough.

The dough will then fall into the pot of boiling water and cook into noodles.

Students are surprised to see a robot dressing up like a chef in their canteen making noodles

The traditional way to make the knife-cut noodle is to do it by hand, which takes longer time

It is unclear whether or not the robot was made by the students in the university.

Staff at the university guaranteed that the robotic chef can make 340 cuts on a piece of dough per minute.

Students from the university spotted the new kitchen helper over the past few days and posted images on social media.

'Just walked past the noodle stall, the robot chef scared me!' said one student.

Another student said: 'I heard that there is a long queue at the knife-cut noodle stall at the canteen today.'

Robo-resto! In 2014, this cafe in Ningbo has introduced robots to serve food to customers

The automated waiters can also take orders and tell customers to enjoy their meal in Mandarin

However, web users on Chinese social media said the robot chef was not something new and fancy as they have all seen robots in action before.

The use of robots in restaurants is becoming increasingly popular in China over the past few years.

In 2014, a cafe in Ningbo, a seaport city in northeastern Zhejiang Province has automated waiters who take orders and serve food to any table within the restaurant, as well as telling customers to enjoy their meal in Mandarin.

Last November, PH+, a Pizza Hut concept store in Shanghai has introduced Casper the robot to lead customers to their table and delivers drinks.

Though Casper doesn't bring you your pizza, it can deliver drinks, customers at PH+ order food by designing their pizza on a table covered in a touch screen computer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips