Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noodles

snake noodles

Snack stall shut down after customer finds a snake in her noodles
    BY ALEX LINDER IN NEWS ON JUN 21, 2017 3:45 PM

A campus snack stall has been forced to close down in Nanning after one customer happened to discover a little something extra in her bowl of rice noodles -- a snake.
    The female student said that she discovered the secret ingredient in her bowl of take-out snail rice noodles when she returned to her dorm room on Friday and started to eat. Grossed out, she snapped a photo of the noodles before flushing them down the toilet.
    She later uploaded that photo to her WeChat account where it quickly went viral on Chinese social media and eventually caught the attention of local health authorities who paid the snack stall a visit on Saturday.

The owner of the stall vehemently denied that the snake had come from his kitchen. Nevertheless, officials discovered that the stall's food storage was unhygienic and its sourcing undocumented, ordering the shop to temporalily close down until changes were made, the Nanning Evening News reports.
    But who knows, maybe raw snake is the perfect complement to snail rice noodles?
    [Images via Weibo]
    snakes + Noodles
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Falling instant-noodle sales

Interesting barometer of economic growth

Falling instant-noodle sales points to the economic rise of rural China
    Tara Francis Chan

Instant noodles REUTERS/Jason Lee

China last year sold 8 billion fewer packets of instant noodles than it did in 2013.
    Fewer migrants from rural China are moving to cities, which is affecting sales.
    Instead, workers are staying in rural areas of China where annual incomes are rising at a faster rate than in cities.

People in China are eating billions fewer packets of instant noodles every year, the state-run Global Times reported Monday.

Citing the World Instant Noodles Association, Global Times said China and Hong Kong ate 46.2 billion packets in 2013. By 2016 that had dropped by about 8 billion packets to 38.5 billion. And more than one major manufacturer has experienced a drop in profit over 25%.

While the popularity of on-demand food services that provide cheap, quick food to China's growing middle class are affecting instant-noodle sales, another key contributor is the rise of rural China.

An economics professor at Tongji University, Zhang Xin, told Global Times that sales had plunged because far fewer low-paid migrants from rural China were moving to or living in cities, where they are one of the biggest consumers of instant noodles.

From 2010 to 2016, the growth in migrant workers dropped off significantly to 0.5% from 5.2%. And in 2015, the migrant population decreased for the first time in 30 years.

Instead, more workers are returning to their hometowns after acquiring skills or money in the cities or choosing not to leave in the first place because of increased opportunities.

Over the past seven years, the annual net income in rural China has outpaced the growth of that in urban centers. And, by 2020, China is hoping to double its people's per capita salaries from their 2010 levels.

Big tech in China is also playing a part. Both Alibaba and JD.com have begun implementing projects to connect rural sellers with buyers across the country, with the hope of raising local incomes.

High-speed trains are also killing the instant noodle

A railway employee next to a high-speed train at a Beijing railway station in 2011. PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images

Better infrastructure is also hurting the instant-noodle market in China.

Long train journeys back to rural hometowns used to be standard in China, where there were no high-speed trains as recently as a decade ago. Now the country has the world's largest high-speed train network, running over 12,400 miles, or 20,000 kilometers.

While this has drastically cut journey times, it has also cut the number of meals that workers would consume aboard the trains.

One traveler told Global Times his 20-hour trip, during which he used to eat three meals, had begun to take only six hours, so he no longer needed to eat instant noodles. Other travelers are using a pilot program at 27 stations to order food on-demand.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tough question. Hmmm I love noodles but we regularly eat rice at home.

hand pulled

If you've never had good hand-pulled noodles, they are so much tastier. This article is all about the embedded vid (follow the link).

It's a common skill. I've seen street vendors hand-pull noodles over the dirt. But it is a skill - if you don't believe me, I challenge you to try it (and post a vid of your results here).

How to make Chinese hand-pulled noodles – Hong Kong chef shows his masterful technique
    Peking Garden’s head dim sum chef shows off his memorising noodle-making skills, as he transforms a lump of dough into delicate strands by hand. Reporter Bernice Chan gives it a try, with interesting results

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 31 July, 2018, 12:47pm
    UPDATED : Tuesday, 31 July, 2018, 12:58pm
    Bernice Chan
    bernice.chan@scmp.com
    http://twitter.com/beijingcalling

Every night at 8.30pm at Hong Kong’s Peking Garden it’s showtime.

A chef emerges from the restaurant’s kitchen with a trolley and starts handling dough. He bangs it hard on the surface a few times to make it more pliable before twisting it. Then he throws some flour on the trolley’s surface and quickly stretches the dough. He folds and pulls the dough that soon becomes two strands, four strands, then eight, 16, 32 ….

Less than two minutes later the chef has magically created thin strands of noodles from the large piece of dough.

How does he do it?

I enlist the help of Leung Chi-cheung, head dim sum chef at the restaurant in Alexandra House, in the city’s Central business district, to teach me this magic trick.

Leung has 30 years’ experience in the kitchen. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

And like a magician, making these noodles requires deftness and skill. He has over 30 years’ experience in the kitchen, 25 of which are at Peking Garden, so he’s an old hand. But can he teach an amateur?

I was about to find out.

Leung gave me a piece of the dough and it was quite sticky. I tried to follow him, banging the dough on the table and stretching it at the same time. Then he instructs me to take the end of the dough in my right hand and cross it over the left side. From there, I stretch the dough and repeat.

This technique, Leung explains, helps to even out the dough.

Chef Leung twists the dough. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

He then twists the two ends together and lengthens it – a step he repeats a few more times. This step is deemed too difficult (or too advanced) for me, and Leung takes over.

Now it’s time to make the actual strands.

He then lengthens the twisted dough. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

I hold the ends of the dough between my fingers, and start the complex process of folding, pulling and twisting the dough until the strands start to become thin.

In my hands, the dough feels elastic, but Leung becomes agitated. Even though I’ve finally got the gist of the motions, I am doing it too slowly – the dough is starting to dry out. Sure enough, the strands started to break.

Game over.

The faster one handles the dough, the longer and thinner the noodle strands can be. Lesson learned.

The finished product. Photo: K.Y. Cheng

Afterwards, we get to dig into a bowl of Zhejiang noodles – a summer dish of the hand-pulled noodles with a pork sauce topped with shredded cucumber and pink radish.

The noodles are a bit thick in texture, but definitely handmade. We appreciate each bite, thanks to the skill of Leung’s hands – not mine!

Peking Garden, Shop B1, Basement 1, Alexandra House, 16-20 Chater Road, Central. Tel: 2526 6456
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ramen

Are Ramen Noodles Bad for You, or Good?

Ramen noodles are a type of instant noodle enjoyed by many around the world.

Because they’re inexpensive and only require minutes to prepare, they appeal to people who are on a budget or short on time.

Though instant ramen noodles may be convenient, there’s confusion as to whether it’s healthy to eat them on a regular basis.

This article takes an objective look at instant ramen noodles to help you decide whether this convenient dish can fit into a healthy diet.

Lacking in Key Nutrients

Ramen noodles are a packaged, instant type of noodle made from wheat flour, various vegetable oils and flavorings.

The noodles are pre-cooked, meaning they have been steamed and then air dried or fried to shorten cooking time for consumers.

Instant ramen noodles are sold in packages with a small packet of seasoning or in cups to which water can be added and then microwaved.

Preparing instant ramen noodles involves adding the noodles to a pot of seasoned boiling water. The noodles can also be cooked in a microwave, which is why they’re often a staple food for college students living in dormitories.

There’s no doubt that Ramen noodles are tasty and convenient, but their nutritional value deserves closer examination.

Nutrition

Though nutritional information varies between products, most instant ramen noodles are low in calories but lack key nutrients.

For example, one serving of chicken-flavored instant ramen noodles has (1):

Calories: 188
    Carbs: 27 grams
    Total fat: 7 grams
    Protein: 5 grams
    Fiber: 1 gram
    Sodium: 891 mg
    Thiamine: 16% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
    Folate: 13% of the RDI
    Manganese: 10% of the RDI
    Iron: 9% of the RDI
    Niacin: 9% of the RDI
    Riboflavin: 6% of the RDI

Instant ramen noodles are made with wheat flour that’s been fortified with synthetic forms of certain nutrients like iron and B vitamins to make the noodles more nutritious (2).

However, they lack many important nutrients, including protein, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium and potassium.

What’s more, unlike whole, fresh foods, packaged foods like instant ramen noodles fall short in antioxidants and phytochemicals that positively impact health in many ways (3).

Not to mention, they pack in a good amount of calories without the wide array of nutrients that a more balanced meal consisting of a protein, vegetables and complex carbs would contain.

Though one serving (43 grams) of ramen noodles has only 188 calories, most people consume an entire package, which equates to two servings and 371 calories.

It should be noted that instant ramen noodles are different from fresh ramen noodles, which are traditional Chinese or Japanese noodles typically served in soup form and topped with nutritious ingredients like eggs, duck meat and vegetables.

SUMMARY

While instant ramen noodles provide several nutrients like iron, B vitamins and manganese, they lack fiber, protein and other important vitamins and minerals.

Loaded with Sodium

Sodium is a mineral that’s essential for the proper functioning of your body.

However, too much sodium from excess salt in the diet isn’t good for your health.

One of the largest contributors to dietary sodium intake is processed foods, including packaged foods like ramen noodles (4).

Not consuming enough sodium has been linked to adverse effects, but taking in too much can negatively impact health as well.

For example, having a diet high in salt has been linked to an increased risk of stomach cancer, heart disease and stroke (5, 6).

What’s more, in certain people who are considered salt sensitive, a high-sodium diet may raise blood pressure, which can negatively impact heart and kidney health (7).

Though there’s debate over the validity of the current intake recommendation of two grams of sodium per day set forth by the World Health Organization, it’s clear that limiting foods that are extremely high in salt is best (8).

Instant ramen noodles are very high in sodium, with one package containing 1,760 mg of sodium, or 73% of the RDI.

Consuming just one package of ramen noodles per day would make it very difficult to keep sodium intake close to the current dietary recommendations.

But since ramen noodles are cheap and quick to prepare, it’s an easy food to rely on for people who are crunched for time.

For this reason, it’s likely that many people consume ramen multiple times per day, which can lead to massive amounts of ingested sodium.

SUMMARY

Ramen noodles are a high-sodium food. Consuming too much sodium can negatively impact your health and has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, stomach cancer and stroke.

Contain MSG and TBHQ

Like many processed foods, instant ramen noodles contain ingredients like flavor enhancers and preservatives, which can be harmful to your health.

Tertiary butylhydroquinone — more commonly known as TBHQ — is a common ingredient in instant ramen noodles.

It’s a preservative used to extend shelf life and prevent spoilage of processed foods.

While TBHQ is considered safe in very small doses, animal studies have shown that chronic exposure to TBHQ may lead to neurological damage, increase the risk of lymphoma and cause liver enlargement (9).

Plus, some people exposed to TBHQ have experienced vision disturbances, and test-tube studies have shown that this preservative can damage DNA (10).

Another controversial ingredient found in most brands of instant ramen noodles is monosodium glutamate (MSG).

It’s an additive used to enhance the flavor of savory foods and make them more palatable.

Certain people may be more sensitive to MSG than others. Consumption of this preservative has been linked to symptoms like headaches, nausea, high blood pressure, weakness, muscle tightness and flushing of the skin (11, 12).

Though these ingredients have been linked to several adverse health effects in large doses, the small amounts found in food are likely safe in moderation.

However, those who are particularly sensitive to additives like MSG may want to steer clear of instant ramen noodles, as well as other highly processed foods.

SUMMARY

Instant ramen noodles may contain MSG and TBHQ — food additives that may be detrimental to health when consumed in large doses.

Should You Avoid Ramen Noodles?

Though eating instant ramen noodles occasionally won’t harm your health, regular consumption has been linked to poor overall diet quality and several adverse health effects.

A study in 6,440 Korean adults found that those who regularly ate instant noodles had lower intakes of protein, phosphorus, calcium, iron, potassium, niacin and vitamins A and C, compared to those who didn’t consume this food.

Plus, those who frequently ate instant noodles consumed significantly fewer vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, meat and fish (13).

Regular instant noodle consumption has also been associated with an increased risk of metabolic syndrome, a group of symptoms including excess abdominal fat, high blood pressure, high blood sugar and abnormal blood lipid levels (14).

As a result, it’s best to limit your intake of instant ramen noodles and not use them as a meal substitute on a regular basis.

How to Make Ramen Noodles Healthier

For those who enjoy eating instant ramen noodles, there are several ways to make this convenient dish healthier.

Add vegetables: Adding fresh or cooked vegetables like carrots, broccoli, onions or mushrooms to instant ramen noodles will help add nutrients that plain ramen noodles lack.
    Pile on protein: Since ramen noodles are low in protein, topping them with eggs, chicken, fish or tofu will provide a source of protein that will keep you fuller longer.
    Choose low-sodium versions: Instant ramen noodles are available in low-sodium options, which can cut the salt content of the dish drastically.
    Ditch the flavor packet: Create your own broth by mixing low-sodium chicken stock with fresh herbs and spices for a healthier, lower-sodium version of ramen noodles.
    While instant ramen noodles are a cheap carbohydrate source, there are many other healthy, affordable carb options out there.

Brown rice, oats and potatoes are examples of versatile, inexpensive carbs for those looking to save money.

SUMMARY

Diets high in instant noodles have been linked to poor diet quality and an increased risk of heart disease and metabolic syndrome. Adding vegetables and protein to instant ramen is an easy way to boost the nutrition content of the meal.

The Bottom Line

Though instant ramen noodles provide iron, B vitamins and manganese, they lack fiber, protein and other crucial vitamins and minerals.

Additionally, their MSG, TBHQ and high sodium contents may negatively affect health, such as by increasing your risk of heart disease, stomach cancer and metabolic syndrome.

Limiting consumption of processed foods like instant ramen noodles and eating plenty of whole, unprocessed foods is always the best choice for your health.
    I eat a lot of ramen. It's still a comfort food.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

noodle-making = sunset industry?

Son of Wing Lok Noodle Factory founder hopes to revamp Hong Kong business and revive sunset industry
    Decades-old brand supplies restaurants across city, but is converting from wholesale to retail and attracting young blood to keep dying tradition afloat
    PUBLISHED : Saturday, 15 September, 2018, 11:30am
    UPDATED : Saturday, 15 September, 2018, 12:46pm
    Michelle Wong

Angus Chan, 30, used to hate the noodle factory his father founded 42 years ago, now located in an industrial area in Kowloon Bay. “I never got to see my father. The noodles took him away from me,” he says.

He recalls his father, Chan Keung, spending all his time at work building his small business from scratch. The senior Chan dedicated his life to perfecting the art of making Chinese noodles, a traditional dish adored by many but made by few.

“I used to see my father working 365 days a year without rest,” he says. “It’s hot here with water splashing everywhere, and you need to move heavy things around all the time. It’s very tiring.”

That was why, as a child growing up, he longed for something beyond his father’s dull factory walls, which would lead him into a jet-setting career in aviation logistics.

But two years ago, after his fathers’ knees degenerated and he lost the ability to walk, Chan found himself at a crossroads – his father’s condition meant he was unable to lead the business in a sunset industry. And a labour shortage now looms, with few young people interested in learning the art of noodle making.

Chinese noodles are supplied dried, and cooked in different soup bases. They are usually eaten with shrimp roe, and in the 1960s were a staple for poorer people who could not regularly afford meat. The noodles were also baked and steamed for a longer shelf life back then, when fridges were not common.

Chan decided to give up his aviation career to take the reins from his father.

“If I didn’t come back, the noodle factory would have to close down. I can’t afford to see the tradition die,” he says. “Our generation needs to expand the effort and glory built by the last generation.”

Since taking the helm, Chan has had one mission in mind: to modernise the products of Wing Lok Noodle Factory and introduce them to younger consumers.

First, he changed the packaging of his products from a shoddy plastic bag to a decent ziplock bag. Then he turned to internet marketing to champion his brand, setting up a platform for online purchases and home delivery.

I came to bring change ... If I listen to my father all the time, I will not be able to make a difference ANGUS CHAN, WING LOK NOODLE FACTORY
    He also designed a more attractive logo for the factory. Chan’s new company symbol fuses elements of traditional Hong Kong signboard print with an image of the iconic Lion Rock, to pay tribute to the hard work of his father’s generation and a can-do attitude many in Hong Kong still preach – the so-called Lion Rock spirit.

It was not easy to convince his conservative father to embrace his new initiatives, Chan says, and the pair often clashed. But in the end, the senior Chan gave in.

“We old people have the old people’s way – saving money on everything,” the senior Chan, 65, says, recalling he could not accept the new packaging until a year after it was launched.

Angus Chan explains his idea to shift the business model from wholesale to retail: “In the past, we only sold our products directly to other restaurants by word of mouth. A lot of the noodles you eat [in the city] are actually made by us, but no one knows this.”

The company supplies more than 80 restaurants in the city, including chains and hotels.

Since an upgrade, the company’s website has brought new businesses to the factory, according to Chan, with young entrepreneurs knocking on its doors in search of raw materials or health-conscious customers seeking natural Chinese noodles instead of the MSG-rich instant noodles.

Angus Chan is revamping his family’s noodle business. Photo: Edward Wong

Another segment of clients comprises overseas Chinese craving a taste of home, he says. Such consumers are willing to pay more for noodles shipped to Australia, Canada and the United States.

One of the biggest challenges for the industry remains an ageing work force, with many suppliers retiring or having died of old age, and existing staff aged 50 to 70. There is a pressing need for Chan’s business to find young blood.

While searching for new manufacturing supplies, Chan says he has to bear in mind how to retain the original taste and quality of his family’s noodles, which is their selling point.

He says he was lucky to have hired some young people who left the aviation industry with him.

“I came to bring change,” he says. “If I listen to my father all the time, I will not be able to make a difference.

“My father is a quiet man. I consider his silence as compliments.”
    My father was a nuclear engineer for GE so I can't really identify with the notion of a 'family' business personally. However, Tiger Claw is a family business; I'm just not part of that bloodline.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Types of noodles

THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CHINESE NOODLE STYLES
    By SOLEIL HO
    Published On 09/19/2018

YPHOTOLAND/SHUTTERSTOCK

Noodles, with the exception of zoodles (please go away), are the arguably the perfect food. This brilliant food genus, which includes everything from rigatoni to udon, banh pho to spaetzle, seems to have endless permutations to slurp, swirl, and stir-fry. Few countries know the joy of noodles better than China, where the foodstuff spread, evolved, and became an integral part of its culinary history for over 4,000 years.

China isn’t a monolith and neither are its noodles. In southern China, rice rules the roost. There, rice flour-based recipes generate bouncy and gummy products that soak up sauce like a sponge. (Through centuries of migration, colonization, and trade, the techniques and dishes developed in that part of China seeped into Southeast Asia, giving birth to regional faves like pho, khao soi, and pad see ew.) Head ****her inland in China and wheat reigns supreme. It manifests as a vibrantly diverse array of regional breads, pancakes, and, most importantly, wheat and starch noodles.

To sort it all out for you, here’s a breakdown of some of the most iconic types of Chinese noodles -- many of which are served at beloved restaurants around the country -- and our favorite ways to eat them.

MR.PATCHARAPHON/SHUTTERSTOCK

Mai fun
    Also known as “rice vermicelli,” these round and thin noodles are on the drier and chewier side, with their heartier shape making them perfect for stir-fries and salads. In the United States, you’ll often find mai fun in a dish called Singapore noodles, wherein they’re stir-fried with egg, shrimp, vegetables, and curry powder. You’ll also find these in a lot of Vietnamese cuisine, especially in fresh bun salads and a delicious soup called bun bo Hue.

FASIHAH YUSOF/SHUTTERSTOCK

Shanghainese nian gao
    Some might argue that these aren’t noodles. To them, I’d say: Who hurt you? Detractors aside, these rice cakes are made from dense rolls of pounded glutinous rice that are steamed, then sliced on a bias into thin pieces. If you’re familiar with Japanese mochi, you can probably imagine how nian gao works. Served as a sweet dish in other parts of the country, the Shanghainese variation is distinctively savory. In stir-fried chao nian gao, the soft and chewy texture makes the perfect foil to crunchy vegetables. At the grocery store, you’ll probably find the Korean variation, called tteok -- those are fine for both Korean and Chinese recipes.

MATEONE/SHUTTERSTOCK
    Ho fun
    These noodles, made wide and tapered to maximize their compatibility with sauces and gravies, are slippery and slurpable. Thus, they’re widely popular in many Asian cuisines, popping up in Thailand as pad kee mao and in Vietnam as pho. Cantonese restaurants often feature it in chow fun, a stir-fried dish with soy sauce, beef, and bean sprouts. To effectively stir-fry these sticky noodles and keep them from massing into a gummy clump requires a well-oiled wok and quite a bit of deftness -- so maybe leave it to the experts.

PAUL_BRIGHTON/SHUTTERSTOCK

Cheung fun
    If you spend your weekends creepin’ on your local dim sum parlor, you know these well. Cheung fun are pillow-soft and jelly-like noodles that are made into sheets and often wrapped around a savory filling of shrimp, meat, or fried dough. Eating the dim sum version is, incidentally, a lot like the feeling of having a perfectly warm towel laid on your face. In Hong Kong, the noodles are served at street stalls in little rolls and topped with hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and sesame seeds. Their classic, jiggly texture comes from a mixture of rice flour and tapioca or glutinous rice flour, and the name translates literally to “intestine noodle” because of its aesthetic similarity to pig intestine. You can steam these at home or buy premade fresh noodles at some Asian grocers.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

YAO MEIN | PIYUSH GADKARI

Yao mein
    When these thin egg-and-wheat noodles are fresh, they’re fantastic, with a distinct springiness and heft that make them the perfect foil to wontons. Some old-school wonton noodle shops in Hong Kong make a variation on these noodles, called “jook-sing noodles,” by having a cook knead the dough by hopping on a giant bamboo stalk. It’s hard to explain, but it’s cool to watch. Many Asian grocers offers these noodles fresh or frozen, though you can use the dried noodles in a pinch. Just make sure that whatever you buy actually contains egg -- some manufacturers fudge it a bit and include dye to give the noodles that yolky yellow shade. These can be served in hot soup with wontons or stir-fried in sauce. The par-boiled version of these are what people typically use for chow mein: They can be thrown right into the wok from their package.

MARTIN RETTENBERGER/SHUTTERSTOCK
    Lo mein

When I was a kid, these were the noodles that would shut me up. I’d focus all of my energy on slurping every strand, enjoying every drop of the sauce that clung to them. These chewy noodles typically have the same ingredients as yao mein; in the diaspora, their main distinguishing point is that they’re heftier. Lo mein is in it for the long haul and plays well with rich sauces, heavy meats, and long stints at the buffet table, a fact that has placed it securely within the Chinese takeout Greatest Hits Collection.

MAMSIZZ/SHUTTERSTOCK

Yi mein
    Yi mein are, like instant ramen, cooked and then deep-fried into a cake by their manufacturers. They’re expensive because of their high-quality ingredients and laborious cooking process, so they’re often brought out for celebrations. You’ll often find these in a hefty, stir-fried pile at Chinese banquet halls. When braised in sauce, these noodles take on a wonderfully spongy texture, though it can be easy to overcook them until they get soggy. If you’re making them at home, be sure to undercook them by a few minutes when you initially boil them before braising: 3-4 minutes will be just fine.

JEAN WANG/FLICKR

Dao xiao mian
    If you search for these noodles, aka “knife-cut noodles,” on YouTube, prepare yourself to be amazed. The making of these noodles is a technical marvel, with cooks using razor-like implements to rapidly shave noodles off of a piece of dough, shooting them straight into a pot of boiling water to cook. Each batch requires expert timing: The cook has to cut the noodles quick enough that the first ones don’t overcook. These imperfectly shaped strands are chewy, with a slurpability that makes them great with soups or braised meat. You’d also do well to pair these with Uyghur dishes like a hearty lamb-and-vegetable stir-fry.

GARY STEVENS/FLICKR

La mian
    The world loves these noodles, though many of us know them primarily through their pre-cooked and deep-fried variation: instant ramen. To make these noodles the traditional way, a dough made from high-gluten flour is twisted and stretched by hand, with some cooks making a show of banging the strands on their work tables to shake off the excess flour. Through their movements, la mian makers exercise control over the thickness of their noodles. Oftentimes, restaurants will offer a choice between la mian and dao xiao mian for your soups. In Central Asia, these noodles are known as “laghman.” One of the most well-known iterations is lanzhou la mian, a beef soup garnished with fresh aromatics.

HELLORF ZCOOL/SHUTTERSTOCK

Liangpi
    Newcomers might read the Anglicization of liangpi, “cold skin noodles,” on a menu and imagine receiving a plateful of julienned boiled pig skin, but these are actually made from wheat starch. The name was undoubtedly inspired by the noodles’ wiggly texture. Through a somewhat arduous process, the starch is isolated from a flour-based dough, steamed, then cut. It’s a lot of work, but the noodles’ unique and elastic texture is so worth it, especially when served the traditional Shaanxi way with black vinegar, chili oil, garlic, and sliced cucumber.
    This is helpful for the uninitiated.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

glow in the dark

A glow-in-the-dark ramen shop makes food that looks like something out of an alien world
    Lucy Yang Jan. 17, 2019, 2:16 PM

Tickets for the pop-up have already sold out. By Zoo as Zoo (Courtesy of Dashboard)

Ami Sueki, the founder of design studio Zoo as Zoo, has teamed up with Courtney Hammond, the cofounder of national arts agency Dashboard, to create the world's first glow-in-the-dark ramen shop.
    Nakamura.ke is a mobile pop-up that will offer guests an immersive dining experience inspired by a story about a family of mythical spirits.
    The shop will seat six diners at a time for one 30-minute meal during which guests will be served glow-in-the-dark dishes and cocktails as performers interact with them.
    The luminescent noodles were created by London food-design firm Bompas and Parr using quinine and natural food coloring.
    After debuting in Atlanta later this month, Nakamura.ke will head to several other cities, including Los Angeles, New York, and Miami, according to Atlanta Magazine.
    If you've ever wondered what mythical spirits might eat, it probably looks something like the menu at the world's first glow-in-the-dark ramen shop.

Nakamura.ke, which opens in Atlanta later this month, offers guests an immersive dining experience inspired by a dream designer Ami Sueki had three years ago.

The food is inspired by a story about a family of supernatural creatures. By Zoo as Zoo (Courtesy of Dashboard)

The mobile pop-up tells the story of the Nakamuras, a family of yōkai (supernatural creatures in Japanese folklore) who ran a popular ramen shop for other spirits at the turn of the century.

In the tale, which was created by Sueki's design studio, Zoo as Zoo, the Nakamura children lost their parents in a storm one fateful night. Years later, they reunited at their family's old shop, only to discover glowing noodles and vibrating utensils, as if someone was trying to show them how to make their parents' secret ramen recipe.

Now the Nakamura children chase after full moons around the world — when noodles glow the brightest — making ramen in their mobile kitchen, hoping they'll one day reunite with their parents.

The noodles are made with quinine and food coloring. By Zoo as Zoo (Courtesy of Dashboard)

To bring this story to life, Sueki teamed up with Courtney Hammond, the cofounder of national arts agency Dashboard.

Like the Nakamura children's mobile kitchen, Nakamura.ke will be a small, intimate space, seating six diners at a time for one 30-minute meal. During that period, guests will be served glow-in-the-dark dishes and cocktails as performers interact with them.

Sueki also collaborated with London food-design firm Bompas and Parr to create her pop-up's luminescent food. According to Atlanta Magazine, the studio's inventors used quinine, a compound extracted from the bark of cinchona trees that glows under black light, and natural food coloring to make noodles that were both luminescent and safe to eat.

Nakamura.ke will also serve glowing sake cocktails. By Zoo as Zoo (Courtesy of Dashboard)

Dining tickets for Nakamura.ke's first two openings, in late January and February, have already sold out and went for $75 a seat.

For those curious to see the shop's luminescent offerings, however, tickets to a party at Space2 in Atlanta will be sold at the door for $10. The party will be held on Wednesdays through Saturdays from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. for the duration of Nakamura.ke's run at The Sound Table, from January 30 until February 16.

Dashboard and Zoo as Zoo also plan to take Nakamura.ke to Los Angeles, London, Miami, New York, Tokyo, Seoul, Sydney, and Dubai.
    what does this do to your poop the next day?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wuhan Noodles

Hot Dry Noodles: The Traditionally Vegan & Addictive Dish From Wuhan
    By Sally Ho Last updated Feb 14, 2020

4 Mins Read
    Whilst China and other countries around the world continue to battle the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, which the World Health Organisation recently declared a global public health emergency, fears about the spread of the coronavirus has been accompanied by a spike in anti-Chinese racism and xenophobia. Wuhan has been hardest hit with racist stereotyping and has been making international headlines, but many of us have forgotten the traditional Wuhan delicacy, which happens to be 100% plant-based.

A few words on racism

Source: Reuters

There are serious and substantiated concerns regarding the current novel coronavirus and its spread, but it has awakened prejudices, racist vitriol and stereotyping against people of mainland Chinese or Asian descent.

This not only contributes nothing to help quell the disease epidemic, it comes with the threat of overshadowing long-standing cultural traditions that all of us can appreciate. In particular, Wuhan, the epicentre of the novel coronavirus, has come under attack internationally and from other cities and provinces in mainland China.

The internet is awash with criticism and misleading claims about the apparent thirst for consuming wild animals in Wuhan peoples’ diets, stemming from the reports that the disease emerged from a seafood market in Wuhan that also sold a number of live animals.

While the novel coronavirus has thrust the danger and cruelty of the wild animal trade into the limelight, the demand for wild animals isn’t limited to Wuhan, nor is it confined within the borders of China alone. In fact, the supply chain extends throughout the world, stretching from Asia, Africa and elsewhere, including the United States. It is a global problem that the world must tackle if we are to prevent future disease epidemics, not to mention the animal welfare and wildlife conservation issues that stem from the trade.

Hot dry noodles: the addictive vegan dish from Wuhan

Source: Zhihu

As a Hong Kong-based journalist hailing from Wuhan reminded us in a heartfelt open letter, it’s time to take stock and reflect on some of the traditions her hometown is known for, including the beloved local dish “Hot Dry Noodles”–which happens to be accidentally vegan and so delicious.

Re gan mian, which translates to hot and dry noodles, is the traditional dish of Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province in central China. Also known as the “Wuhan noodle”, this dish has had a long-standing history in Chinese food culture for almost 100 years, and is unique because unlike many Asian noodle dishes, the noodles aren’t served in soup. Instead, the dish is served “dry” with the vegan-friendly alkaline noodles coated in a rich, thick and creamy sesame sauce and topped with fresh spring onions. While the main seasoning is sesame paste, sometimes, the noodles are also topped with pickled spicy radish, which also originates from Hubei province.

And true to Wuhan cuisine, which shares with its nearby Sichuanese counterpart, the dish makes extensive use of chillies. Chillies are deeply embedded within both Wuhan and Sichuan food culture because the regions face a humid climate, which can be balanced out with hot and spicy foods in traditional Chinese medicinal beliefs. While preparing the seasoning and sauce of hot dry noodles, Wuhanese people typically use chilli oil and fresh coriander to bring out both the delicious taste of sesame and give a kick of heat.

This dish is so significant in Wuhan food culture that it is a popular breakfast food in the city, often sold in street carts and restaurants across towns as early as 5am in the morning, all throughout the day until the evening, where the famous dish appears at night markets as a late-night snack.

Make your own hot dry noodles

Source: Woks of Life

“Wuhan noodles” calls for alkaline noodles, the most common type of ramen noodle available in most supermarkets across Asia, which are made out of wheat flour and kansui (alkaline water) to give its salty taste and springy quality. If they happen to be unavailable, they can be easily substituted for spaghetti (cooked al dente) for a similar texture and taste, or gluten-free versions to suit individual dietary preferences.

For the seasoning and sauce, hot dry noodles typically contain five spice powder, a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise and Sichuan peppercorns, sesame paste, sesame oil, light and dark soy sauce and salt. Once the sauce is mixed in to coat the cooked noodles, top the dish with a sprinkle of chopped green onions, pickled radish, chilli oil and coriander.

Lead image courtesy of Sohu.
    THREADS
    Noodles
    Vegetarian
    COVID-19
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Noodles, Pandas & COVID-19

If there's one thing the Chinese are good at, it's talking in code.

‘Noodles’ and ‘Pandas’: Chinese People Are Using Secret Code to Talk About Coronavirus Online
    "Vietnamese pho noodles," anyone?
    By David Gilbert
    Mar 6 2020, 5:35am

Chinese citizens angry at their government’s handling of the coronavirus outbreak have come up with some ingenious ways to express their outrage and circumvent the extreme censorship measures imposed by Beijing.

In a bid to control the narrative, Beijing authorities have censored sensitive topics, silenced WeChat accounts, tracked down those who are sharing criticism of the government, and disappeared citizen journalists.

But all those efforts still haven't silenced people online, and angry citizens are now relying on coded words and phrases to express their dissatisfaction.

The most common example is “zf” which is the abbreviation for the Chinese word “government. To refer to the police, the letters “jc” are used, while “guobao” (meaning "national treasure") or panda images are used to represent the domestic security bureau. Citizens talking about the Communist Party’s Publicity Department use “Ministry of Truth” from the George Orwell novel "1984," instead.

One of the ways Beijing has sought to stem the flow of information out of China is by cracking down on the use of virtual private networks (VPNs) as a way of circumventing its censorship system, known as the Great Firewall. So discussing this technology online has also become taboo.

Instead, citizens have been talking about how to use the technology by referring to “Vietnamese pho noodles” or “ladders.”

China’s embattled president Xi Jinping is among the most censored topics on Chinese social media. A Citizen Lab report this week showed that WeChat ramped up censorship efforts in recent weeks by adding a number of Xi-related words and phrases to its blacklist.

In an attempt to get around these restrictions, Chinese citizens have begun referring to their president as a “narrow neck bottle” because the Chinese pronunciation of the phrase is similar to that of "Xi Jinping."

But despite the obscure nature of this reference, China’s censors managed to pick it up when they removed a question posting on Zhihu (China’s version of Quora) asking “how to wash a narrow neck bottle?”

“To fully appreciate conversations on China’s social media platforms, merely knowing Chinese is not enough,” an Amnesty International researcher located in China who did not want to be identified told VICE News. “To combat systematic internet censorship, netizens in China have created a new vocabulary to discuss ‘sensitive issues.’ This language keeps evolving as the government constantly expands its list of prohibited terms online. Those not keeping up with the trend could easily be left confused.”

Part of the reason for China’s strict censorship of online comments is that the government is keen to change the way the world is talking about coronavirus and in particular China’s role in the outbreak.

Beijing wants to dispel the suggestion that coronavirus is a Chinese virus and instead position itself as the country that saved the world from a much worse situation. China is hitting out at other country’s failure to take the necessary measures to contain outbreaks, particularly taking aim at the U.S. and Donald Trump.

On Friday, China reported that all new cases of coronavirus came from Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, further bolstering the government’s claims that it has managed to get the outbreak under control.

But there has been an unprecedented backlash against the government’s attempts to portray the situation in Hubei province as a positive one, and on Thursday that online backlash spilled over into the real world, with a very rare public display of criticism of the government.

During a tour of Wuhan, a city of 12 million people that has been in lockdown for six weeks, residents locked in their apartments openly berated a senior government official.

Footage of the incident that has been spread virally online shows residents shouting “Everything is fake” and “It’s all fake” as officials show Vice-Premier Sun Chunlan around the city at the center of the coronavirus outbreak.

Cover: An employee clad in a protective suit waits on customers at a supermarket in Beijing, China on March 6, 2020. (The Yomiuri Shimbun via AP Images)
    THREADS
    COVID-19
    Noodles
    Pandas
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ramen crash

Truck Carrying 20,000 Pounds of Ramen Noodles Crashes Into Lake

BY JAMES CRUMP ON 7/14/21 AT 7:16 AM EDT

Atruck carrying 20,000 pounds of ramen noodles crashed on Tuesday before toppling into an Arkansas lake, as pictures shared by authorities showed the vehicle on its side in the water.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday evening, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission shared two photos of the truck lying on its side in a shallow portion of Lake Conway, located at the intersection of Arkansas Highway 89 and Interstate 40 in Faulkner County, Arkansas.

The commission wrote that the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality was notified of the incident, while a HAZMAT crew was on the scene investigating the crash that occurred at around 3:00 p.m. local time.

"A wrecker is removing the truck from the lake, which appears to be uncontaminated by the accident," the commission wrote.

The crash caused a stir on the agency's Facebook page, with the pictures and statement of the incident so far amassing 723 comments and 1,100 shares.

KARK-TV reported that the Mayflower Police Department was leading the investigation into the crash. The commission confirmed that the driver and passenger in the truck were unhurt in the incident.

The authorities have not yet revealed what company the 20,000 pounds of noodles belonged to, or where the product was being transported to on Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday's incident is not the first time that a truck carrying ramen noodles has crashed in the U.S., as in January 2015 the contents of a delivery truck were spilled across a highway after the driver of a tractor-trailer collided into a guard rail.

The driver of the truck, Larry Scholting, told ABC15 that he crashed into the guard rail in Nash County, North Carolina, after he fell asleep at the wheel during his delivery.

"I thought I could make it down to the truck stops in Kenly, and I didn't quite make it. I kind of drowsed off, and next thing I knew I had taken out the guard rail," Scholting said.

Although Scholting was not injured in the crash, dozens of packets of the noodles were thrown from the truck during the incident when the trailer's cargo space was cut in half.

Part of the road was closed as the authorities cleaned up the mess, while the noodles were dumped at a local landfill after becoming contaminated by diesel fuel that leaked during the crash.

Newsweek has contacted the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission and the Mayflower Police Department for comment.

A truck carrying ramen noodles crashed into a lake in Arkansas on Tuesday afternoon at around 3:00 p.m. local time.
    ARKANSAS GAME AND FISH COMMISSION
    Hazmat lol
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Noodle soda

INSTANT noodle soda...

Nissin is launching instant noodle flavored soda
    Grace Kim

17 hours ago

Japanese food company Nissin, known for its instant noodles, has introduced a line of Cup Noodles-flavored sodas in honor of its 50th anniversary celebration.

The drinks: Available this month, the soda drinks will be available in four flavors, including the basic Cup Noodle in a ginger ale style, seafood with a cream soda base, curry cola and a chili-tomato, according to Sora News 24.

The company revealed the products on their Twitter account on Tuesday and has reportedly generated mostly positive feedback from other users.

“Whether it’s delicious or not is up to you!” the company said.
    Where to buy: Consumers can purchase the limited-edition drinks on the Nissin website or through some Japanese retailers including Amazon Japan.

The Amazon site only offers the option to purchase the entire anniversary set including the four sodas, eight Cup Noodle snacks and eight other Cup Noodle soups, at 2,998 yen or approximately $28, CNet reported.
    It is not yet confirmed whether the goods can be shipped to the U.S. or are available for purchase on English-language sites.
    In another creative endeavor merging food and drink, Nissan’s pumpkin spice-flavored cup noodles will be available at Walmart by the end of October.

Featured Image via Nissin
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

National Noodles Day - October 6

Noodles & Company Celebrates Its Namesake Holiday - National Noodles Day - By Rewarding Guests With Exclusive Offers All Month Long
    The national fast-casual chain known for its freshly prepared noodle dishes is bringing guests even more convenience and value throughout October

Celebrate National Noodles Day at Noodles & Company on October 6!
    Published: Oct. 4, 2021 at 6:05 AM PDT
    BROOMFIELD, Colo., Oct. 4, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Noodles & Company (NASDAQ: NDLS), the national fast-casual brand known for serving globally-inspired noodle dishes, announced today that Noodles Rewards members will receive a 20% off reward that can be used on their entire order on Wednesday, Oct. 6, in celebration of National Noodles Day. To continue the celebration of its namesake holiday, Noodles & Company is giving all Rewards Members who redeem the National Noodles Day offer an additional 10% off reward that can be applied to all future orders placed throughout October.

Celebrate National Noodles Day at Noodles & Company on October 6!
    "National Noodles Day is an opportunity to extend immense gratitude to our valued guests for their continued support, particularly during the past 18 months, which have been challenging in many ways, but have also reaffirmed that a bowl of Noodles has the ability to bring people together," said Stacey Pool, chief marketing officer at Noodles & Company. "We look forward to greeting and meeting guests throughout the month, whether they are dining with us in our restaurants or from the comfort of their homes."

Celebrate National Noodles Day at The Home of The Noodle.
    National Noodles Day is Noodles & Company's biggest and proudest day of the year. Noodles & Company serves up noodle dishes like no other fast-casual restaurant in the nation. In fact, it's the only restaurant where you can conveniently order a variety of globally-inspired noodle dishes that are both delicious and freshly made at an amazing value. From Noodles & Company's classic dishes like Wisconsin Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti & Meatballs, and Penne Rosa, to its decadent 3-CheeseTortelloni Pastas, and light menu items like Cauliflower Rigatoni Fresca and fresh Zoodle dishes – there's a Noodles dish for everyone to enjoy.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Whether you are a loyal Noodles Rewards Member or a first-time guest, National Noodles Day is the perfect opportunity to treat yourself to a delicious bowl of noodles at the home of the noodle.

Unlock Exclusive Member Benefits on National Noodles Day.
    To unlock exclusive Rewards member pricing for the month of October, Noodles guests must register to become a Noodles Rewards member by Oct. 6. The 20% off National Noodles Day offer will automatically load into each Noodles Rewards account, followed by the 10% off reward once the National Noodles Day deal is redeemed on Oct. 6.

These exclusive member deals are available at participating Noodles & Company restaurants nationwide. Guests can find their local Noodles & Company restaurant by visiting noodles.com.

How to Sign Up.
    Signing up for Noodles Rewards is fast and easy by downloading the Noodles Rewards app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, or signing up online at noodles.com/rewards. In addition to ongoing exclusive member benefits, when guests sign up to be a Noodles Rewards Member, they will automatically unlock a free small entrée, redeemable after their first purchase just for joining Noodles Rewards.

ADVERTISEMENT
    About Noodles & Company
    Since 1995, Noodles & Company has been serving noodles your way, with noodles and flavors that you know and love as well as new ones you're about to discover. From indulgent Wisconsin Mac & Cheese to better-for-you Zoodles and Other Noodles, the company serves a world of flavor in every bowl. Made up of more than 450 restaurants and thousands of passionate team members, Noodles was recently named one of America's Best Employers for Diversity Award 2021 by Forbes and also has been named one of the Best Places to Work by the Denver Business Journal for its unique culture built on the value of "Loving Life" which begins by nourishing and inspiring every team member and guest who walks through the door. Noodles has also earned the Women in the Lead Certification for its investment in women-empowering initiatives for its female team members and has proudly partnered with the Multicultural Foodservice & Hospitality Alliance to build cultural intelligence within its teams. To learn more and to find the location nearest you, visit www.noodles.com.
    Bummed that I missed National Noodle Day this year. I'll have noodles today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Noooooo!

having a sad...

November 10, 2021
    6:38 AM PST
    Last Updated 3 hours ago
    Business
    Analysis: Worst to come: pasta makers fret over durum wheat supply crunch

By Gus Trompiz and Giancarlo Navach

5 minute read

Tara Giles operates a combine as she harvests wheat on a 160-acre field located south of High River, Alberta, September 28, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Sturk/File Photo

PARIS/MILAN, Nov 10 (Reuters) - Italian pasta makers are fearful of a substantial supply squeeze in the coming months after this summer's durum wheat price shock, as the market runs out of ways to offset a dire harvest in top exporter Canada.

Extreme heat and drought this year in the North American country, which usually accounts for about two-thirds of global durum trade, are expected to cut output there by about 3 million tonnes to nearly 50% below 2020 levels.

That has sent durum quotations to 13-year highs, stoking concerns about food inflation at a time when many economies are struggling to recover from COVID-19.

An index of food prices from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization is at a 10-year high, with the cost of bread also climbing as European wheat prices hit a 13-year peak this month. read more

With forecasts for Italy's domestic durum crop, which typically covers most of pasta makers' needs, also recently cut, the country's food producers are particularly exposed to turmoil in the wider market for the niche wheat variety.

Some Italian processors risk being caught short when the local crop runs out and may see production stoppages in the coming months, Strategie Grains analyst Severine Omnes-Maisons said.

"In terms of prices and scarcity of durum, the worst is perhaps still to come."

Canada's output wilted just as world durum stocks were already at a six-year low, partly due to at-home hoarding of pasta during pandemic lockdowns.

Several crops have seen prices jump this year due to harvest setbacks and mounting supply chain costs, but tensions in durum have been particularly intense, with export prices almost doubling since June.

Italy's durum crop had been expected to surpass 2020 levels this year, but the European Commission in October cut its estimate to 3.7 million tonnes from 4.3 million, leaving pasta makers fretting about availability in the first half of 2022.

"It will be more dramatic than it is now because at the moment we can find domestic wheat," said Vincenzo Divella, chief executive of the Divella pasta brand. "The situation with durum wheat is very serious."

WEATHER SHIFTS

Supply from this year's harvests may be even lower than anticipated. Unfavourable local crop reports in Canada suggest its official durum production estimate may be cut again in December, Omnes-Maisons says.

"Durum presents the greatest challenge in terms of balancing global import requirements with global export availability," Rhyl Doyle, director of export trading at Paterson Grain in Winnipeg, said.

Buyers have adjusted to some extent with non-Canadian supply. Australia has become the EU's second-largest durum supplier this season after Canada, while Mexico was expected to fill most of a large import purchase by Algeria in September.

Like Canada, the United States is set to see production drop by about half this year after suffering similar torrid weather since spring. France's rain-hit harvest meanwhile has curbed European supply. read more

That has led some to blame weather shifts for upsetting a balance of moderately warm and dry growing conditions suited to producing the hard, high-protein wheat variety.

"The increase in the price of durum wheat is a symptom of climate change," said Alberto Cartasegna, chief executive of Miscusi, which has a dozen restaurants in Italy.

PAYING MORE FOR STAPLES

Adjusting to low stocks will partly come from paying more for durum-based staples and switching to less costly common wheat.

Price rises are not expected to dampen pasta demand in wealthy European countries - where pasta is required to be made from durum - despite double-digit percentage increases by some manufacturers that are being passed on partly to shoppers.

But consumption patterns may shift more in emerging economies.

North African households face an increase of around a quarter in the price of durum-based semolina bread, which is expected to reinforce the prevalence of soft wheat bread.

"We have no choice but to increase prices to cover costs," Abdelaziz Bouchireb, an Algerian baker, said of semolina bread.

Turkey, a major pasta exporter, earlier this year relaxed rules to increase the maximum share of common wheat allowed in pasta exports from 30% to 100% in response to dwindling durum supply.

Reduced demand in Turkey and North Africa is expected to account for the bulk of a 6% drop in global food use of durum in the 2021/22 season compared with pre-pandemic levels, Strategie Grains forecasts.

The International Grains Council projects that worldwide durum demand will hit a 19-year low in that period. Nevertheless it sees end-season durum stocks at a 14-year low, suggesting a tightrope for the market before next year's harvests.

Even in wealthy economies, households may feel the pinch.

Market data specialist Nielsen says supermarket prices of budget pasta brands - those most dependent on raw material costs - rose nearly 20% year-on-year in France in October, which could augur significant across-the-board increases to come.

In the United States, stores are still stocking products made with last year's durum, so the impact of tighter supplies has not reached the end of the supply chain, said Jeffrey McPike, a U.S.-based trader and consultant with McWheat Trading Inc.

"It will," he warned.

(This story corrects first name of Divella CEO in paragraph 11)

Reporting by Gus Trompiz in Paris, Giancarlo Navach in Milan, Hamid Ould Ahmed in Algiers, Ahmed Eljechtimi in Rabat, Can Sezer in Istanbul, Nigel Hunt in London, Julie Ingwersen in Chicago and Rod Nickel in Winnipeg; Editing by Veronica Brown and Jan Harvey
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips