Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ip Man 4: The Finale

Donnie Yen confirms Ip Man 4 will be his final kung fu film

Donnie Yen confirms Ip Man 4 will be his final kung fu film – ‘as an actor, you must keep going forward’
    • The 56-year-old Hong Kong martial arts superstar says ‘I must keep exploring to grow’
    • ‘I hope Ip Man can be written on a valuable page in Chinese film history and I will continue my journey as an actor’

Nick Atkin Published: 1:06pm, 28 Nov, 2019

Hong Kong martial arts superstar Donnie Yen has confirmed Ip Man 4: The Finale will be his final kung fu film.
    The highly anticipated fourth instalment of the hugely popular franchise will be released in cinemas on December 20, just over 10 years on from the release of the first Ip Man film.
    “As an actor and filmmaker, I have made so many movies, some that people love and some that people don’t love. On this challenging road, I filmed a number of kung fu films that are about the same,” Yen said.
    “As an actor, you must keep going forward,” he added. “This is something that I must do in life; I must keep exploring to grow.”
    “This is the meaning of life, so I am very grateful Ip Man 4: The Finale is my final kung fu movie. I hope it can be written on a valuable page in Chinese film history, and I will continue my journey as an actor.”
    The 56-year-old was speaking in Beijing this week at a press conference to promote the film with co-stars Wu Yue, Chris Collins, and Danny Chan, and producer Raymond Wong.
    Yen said he was immensely proud of the Ip Man franchise for maintaining its quality and popularity.
    “A movie series typically doesn’t have more than two sequels because it tends to go downhill by the third film,” he said. “But the first three Ip Man movies were loved by everyone. I believe people won’t be disappointed this time either.”
    Yen has clearly left an impression on the next generation of kung fu actors, too. “As soon as Donnie arrives on set, everyone will quiet down to show their respect as an apprentice would,” said Chan, who portrays Bruce Lee – an apprentice of Ip Man – in the film.

Donnie on Quentin

Donnie Yen 'very disappointed' with Quentin Tarantino's treatment of Bruce Lee
    MOVIES
    Wednesday, 11 Dec 2019
    6:02 PM MYT
    By MICHAEL CHEANG

Donnie Yen at the media interview promoting Ip Man 4: The Finale in Kuala Lumpur. Photo: The Star/Michael Cheang

Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen said he was “disappointed” with director Quentin Tarantino’s treatment of Bruce Lee in the recent Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Tarantino came under fire earlier this year from Lee’s daughter Shannon Lee for portraying the late star as an arrogant braggart who is beaten up by Brad Pitt’s character, and also for saying Lee was "kind of an arrogant guy".

When the subject came up during a media interview to promote his new film Ip Man 4: The Finale in Kuala Lumpur, Yen said: “I know Tarantino personally, but I’m very disappointed with how he portrayed Bruce Lee in the movie. I watched most of the movie, but after that scene, I couldn’t continue on.”

Yen explained that Lee was not just a great martial artist and action star, he was also a great influence and inspiration to filmmakers all over the world.

“As filmmakers, I feel we should be more respectful towards someone like Lee, who has contributed so much to our industry, ” added the 56-year-old actor.

Danny Chan portrays Bruce Lee in the upcoming 'Ip Man 4'.Danny Chan portrays Bruce Lee in the upcoming 'Ip Man 4'.

Being a former student of Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man, Lee also features heavily in Ip Man 4, played by Hong Kong actor and Lee-lookalike Danny Chan.

Yen was full of praise for Chan’s portrayal of Lee. “Danny doesn’t just look like Bruce Lee, he has also researched and practiced Lee’s moves and fighting style intensively," he said.

Set for release in Malaysia on Dec 20, Ip Man 4 will be Yen's final portrayal of the Wing Chun grandmaster. In it, Ip Man travels to San Francisco under Lee's invitation, but gets involved in a conflict between the Chinese community and the American authorities.

Directed by Wilson Yip, who also directed the first three Ip Man movies, the movies co-stars Vanness Wu, Wu Yue, and Scott Adkins.

Yen is in town with Chan, producer Raymond Wong and scriptwriter Edmond Wong to promote the film. The four of them will be meeting fans at the Centre Court, Suria KLCC, Kuala Lumpur, at 8pm today (Dec 11); and two locations on Dec 12: Oval Concourse, LG, 1 Utama Shopping Centre, Petaling Jaya (7pm) and Foyer, MBO The Starling Level 5, Petaling Jaya (8.30pm).

THREADS
    Ip Man 4
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our newest exclusive fight-focused review

The other franchise finale. READ IP MAN 4: THE FINALE: One Last Trip Down the Centerline by Kurtis Fujita

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IP4 boycotted

Hong Kong Protestors Boycott 'Ip Man 4' for Donnie Yen and Producer's Pro-Beijing Stance
    7:30 PM PST 12/23/2019 by Karen Chu

Courtesy of Mandarin Motion Pictures
    'Ip Man 4: The Finale'

Pro-democracy activists in the country are snubbing the martial arts film and discouraging others from seeing it in a variety of ways, including posting spoilers on social media.
    Hong Kong protestors are boycotting Ip Man 4: The Finale to oppose the pro-Beijing stance of producer Raymond Wong and stars Donnie Yen and Danny Chan.

The fourth installment of the wildly successful Ip Man franchise, The Finale has broken box office records for an Asian film in China, Taiwan and Singapore. But in Hong Kong, the pic has grossed $660,000 since bowing Friday, finishing in second place behind Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

The boycott was organized by users of the Reddit-like LIHKG forum, one of the strategizing hubs of the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement that began in June and has seen the city-state roiled by protests, running street battles and heavy-handed police action. Not only are protestors snubbing the movie, they are also actively discouraging others to see it by spoiling the storyline of the film on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram in the “Ip Man Challenge.” Handy placards with major plot points in English or Chinese are being distributed alongside the hashtag "#boycottIpMan4."

Those boycotting the pic have cited the political leanings of Ip Man 4’s producer and actors as basis for their action. Wong has made his pro-China stance known especially in recent years, having organized a fund for an anti-Occupy Central organization in 2014 and vocally criticized the democratically voted best film win of the politically controversial Ten Years at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 2015, calling the movie’s triumph at the ceremony “a huge mistake” and “a joke” despite it being the consensus of film industry members.

Yen, who played the eponymous character in the film series, shared the stage and sang with Chinese leader Xi Jinping at a gala commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Hong Kong handover in 2017 and issued a statement early this year reasserting “the determination of the motherland” after his fans in China was outraged by his attendance of an event hosted by German clothing brand Philipp Plein, which was allegedly involved in an incident deemed “insulting” to China a dozen years ago. Meanwhile, Chan, who plays Bruce Lee in the latest movie, has been outspokenly supportive of the Hong Kong police, posting on social media that police should not “go easy on any [protesters]” nor “let anyone of them go.”

The boycott was launched as a part of the grassroots “yellow economic circle” initiative that has started to gain traction in recent months, meant to endorse restaurants, shops and brands that support the movement and discourage spending at “blue” or pro-China establishments. Maps and guides of “yellow restaurants/shops” have been put together to encourage patronage of protest-minded Hong Kong citizens.

As one of the high-profile Hong Kong film releases this year, the China co-production Ip Man 4 was seen as a “blue” product and as epitomizing the China-leaning nature of Hong Kong-Chinese collaborations that cater to Chinese audience’s taste at the expense of the Hong Kong audience.

Veteran producer Wong inaugurated the Ip Man film franchise in 2008, making Yen a star and paving the way for his involvement in Hollywood productions, including Star Wars spinoff Rogue One and the upcoming Disney live-action remake of Mulan, which is itself the subject of a boycott after lead Crystal Liu voiced support for the Hong Kong police. The first Ip Man pic won best film and action choreography honors at the 2009 Hong Kong Film Awards. Known for its action sequences and Chinese nationalistic themes, where Ip Man always triumphs over foreign aggressors, the first three installments in the franchise have grossed over $228 million in total worldwide.
    THREADS
    Ip Man 4
    Hong Kong protests
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chirrut Imwe gets the last laugh in PRC

DECEMBER 22, 2019 9:02AM PT
    China Box Office: ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Beaten by Martial Arts Finale ‘Ip Man 4’
    By PATRICK FRATER
    Asia Bureau Chief

Anthony Daniels is C-3PO in STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    CREDIT: LUCASFILM LTD.

Martial arts spectacular “Ip Man 4: The Finale” was the no-contest winner at the Chinese box office over the weekend. “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker,” while doing great business in the rest of the world, limped into third spot in China.

The Wilson Yip-directed historical action film “Ip Man 4” sees Donnie Yen as the eponymous kung fu teacher, and mentor to Bruce Lee, journeying to the U.S. where his pupil has upset the local order by opening a school devoted to the Wing Chun branch of the sport. In addition to being the supposed closing element of the hit franchise, the film is an excuse to pitch Yen against Western brawler Scott Adkins.

“Ip Man 4” dealt knockout blows every day from Friday through Sunday, accumulating some $43 million according to provisional data from local sources. That was roughly 45% of the nationwide box office total.

In second place was Chinese-made thriller “Sheep Without A Shepherd.” It scored $22.3 million, for a 10-day cumulative of $77 million.

Feng Xiaogang’s tear-jerking New Zealand-set road trip “Only Cloud Knows” and “Skywalker,” both new releases, duked it out for third place. “Cloud” came out higher on Friday and Sunday, but was narrowly beaten on Saturday by “Skywalker,” which also had bigger previews. “Cloud” floated a $10.7 million estimated score for the full weekend. “Skywalker” managed $8.73 million in normal sessions, but with the addition of previews on Wednesday and midnight screenings late Thursday, rang up an estimated $12.1 million cumulative by the end of Sunday screenings.

That is far, far away the weakest opening performance of any of the recent “Star Wars” films in China. And its lifetime total won’t come close to any of the others in the franchise.

Online ticketing agency Maoyan slightly upgraded its forecast of the film’s final total, from $18 million on Friday to $22 million by Sunday. That compares with a lifetime score of $126 million in 2015 for “The Force Awakens”; $69.4 million for “Rogue One” in 2016; and $42.6 million for “The Last Jedi.”

The early “Star Wars” films were not released in China in the same cycle as in the West, and Chinese film-goers have not been steeped in the franchise’s lore and legend. That, more than poor reviews, seems to have limited the film.

“Skywalker” earned average ratings on China’s film websites: 6.0 out of 10 on entertainment driven social media platform Douban, 7.3 on Mtime, 7.8 on Maoyan and 8.0 on rival ticketing platform Taopiaopiao. Those were only a few notches behind “Ip Man 4,” which had ratings of 7.3 on Douban, 7.4 on Mtime, 9.5 on Maoyan and 9.3 on Taopiaopiao.

In October, it was announced that Disney and Tencent-owned China Literature would soon release a “Star Wars” novel specifically for China, featuring “Chinese-style expression.” It is not clear that will be enough to revive the film franchise in the Middle Kingdom, which is now beginning to discover its own sci-fi movies.
    THREADS
    Ip Man 4
    Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$1.46 M USD in 5 days in North America

I saw this last night. I planned to go to the 6:20 showing after work but it was SOLD OUT. On a Thursday! I went to the 9:10 showing and the only seats available were in the front row. I'll have a review later on this.

Friday, January 3, 2020
    Chinese martial arts film Ip Man 4: The Finale grosses 1.46 mln USD in 5 days in North America
    Source: Xinhua| 2019-12-31 11:13:20|Editor: Wang Yamei

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 30 (Xinhua) -- Ip Man 4: The Finale, the latest installment in the Chinese martial arts film franchise Ip Man, has grossed more than 730,000 U.S. dollars in its opening weekend in North America with a five-day total of 1.46 million dollars through Sunday.

Ip Man 4: The Finale was released by Well Go USA Entertainment in Chinese and English with English and Chinese subtitles in select North American cities including Sacramento, New York and San Francisco.

According to studio figures released on Monday by U.S. analytics firm Comscore, the biographical martial arts film earned 737,718 dollars from 70 locations with a strong per-theater average of 10,539 dollars, ranking 16th among 73 films on the North American weekend box office chart. It landed in second on Comscore Specialized Top 10 Weekend Box Office Actuals Chart for films released in fewer than 1,000 locations.

Directed by Wilson Yip, the new film sees Donnie Yen reprising the title role as the legendary Wing Chun kung fu master. In the film, following the death of his wife, Ip Man travels to the United States in order to ease the tensions between the local kung fu masters and his star student, Bruce Lee, and gets involved in a dispute between local armed forces and a Chinese martial arts school in San Francisco's Chinatown.

The U.S. review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gives Ip Man 4: The Finale a score of 90 percent based on 21 critics' reviews and 1,521 Internet Movie Database (IMDb) users have given a weighted average vote of 7.6 out of 10 for the film to date.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive fight-focused movie interview

When Karate meets Wing Chun. READ Right On Time: Chris Collins and IP MAN 4: THE FINALE by Kurtis Fujita

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not the first forum review since we published a KFM review

I went two weeks ago with our copy editor and my long-time Kung Fu brother Gary Shockley. We planned to catch the 6:20 showing but you know what? It was sold out. WTH? Usually we go to Chinese flicks and there’s only like a dozen attendees at most. Glad to see this doing so well on a Thursday. The next showing was 9:10 and the only seats available were front row. But we went for it. It actually worked out well because it gave us like 3 hours to chat over dinner at the Great Mall food court.

The finale was solid, actually a better franchise conclusion than Skywalker but that had so much more baggage to resolve. It was heartfelt and Donnie was on point dramatically and martially, under the masterful direction of Yuen Woo Ping. Engaging story, fine fight choreo. Danny Chan owns Bruce Lee. Always good to see Lo Meng and Kent Cheng as they reprise their supporting roles from previous installments. Chris Collins and Scott Adkins deliver as evil gwailo whitey racist *******s, over the top and yet not so in 2020 (Trumper snowflakes will hate it - the only redeeming non-Chinese is black). It’s set in SF Chinatown where there’s always lion dance. It almost looked like they used the same set for Bruce’s Oakland school from Birth of the Dragon. it’s got that Chinese filial nationalism so pervasive in Chinese film today. But ultimately, it delivers as a Kung Fu film with good action and pacing between the fight scenes - quite satisfying.

Catch it in the theaters if you can.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive fight-focused movie interview

'It’s about determination.' READ Ready For Whatever Arises: Scott Adkins and IP MAN 4: THE FINALE by Kurtis Fujita

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I’ll have to see it when the DVD comes out. I missed its brief theatrical run, and have pretty much stopped going to movie theaters anymore.

Chinese coverage

詠春宗師葉問次子葉正年初一病逝 享年83歲

撰文:陳栢宇
    2020-01-26 15:45
    最後更新日期:2020-01-26 15:53
    詠春拳一代宗師葉問次子葉正,昨晚大年初一病逝,享年83歲。葉正兄長葉準接受傳媒訪問時便確認弟弟在晚上 11時離開人世,又指對方病了一段時間,而香港詠春體育會主席李煜昌亦在其Facebook專頁中留言:「 懷著悲痛的心情宣佈一個消息,師父葉正昨晚已安詳離世。」

葉正7歲起便跟父親葉問學習詠春,1949年葉問前往香港,葉正與母親張永成及兄長葉準繼續留在佛山,直至 1962年葉正隨兄葉準前往香港。有傳葉準、葉正不滿父親與上海女子相戀並誕下私生子葉少華,所以兩人經常 早出晚歸,與父親少有交流。1972年葉問逝世後,葉正亦離開武館,於新界開設工廠,只私下於家中個別教授 他人詠春。1994年葉正於詠春體育會所開之國術班授徒,及偶爾在外教授詠春拳。

而葉正的角色亦有在甄子丹主演的《葉問》電影系列出現,在《葉問3》和《葉問4》分別由王實和 葉禾飾演。

左起:李煜昌、葉正。(Facebook/@dennisleevt)

《葉問4》的葉正由內地演員葉禾飾演。(劇照)

googtrans
    Wing Chun's master Ye Wen second son Ye Zheng died of illness at the age of 83
    Written by: Chen Baiyu
    2020-01-26 15:45
    Last updated:2020-01-26 15:53
    Ye Chun, the grandfather of Wing Chun Boxing, asked Ye Zheng, who died at the age of 83 last year. Brother Ye Zheng, in an interview with the media, confirmed that his brother had died at 11 pm and pointed out that the other party had been ill for a while, and Li Yuchang, chairman of the Hong Kong Wing Chun Sports Association, also commented on his Facebook page: I am pleased to announce that Master Ye Zheng died peacefully last night. "

Ye Zheng has been studying Wing Chun with his father Ye Wen since he was 7 years old. Ye Wen went to Hong Kong in 1949. Ye Zheng stayed in Foshan with his mother Zhang Yongcheng and elder brother Ye Jun until 1962. Ye Zheng went to Hong Kong with his brother Ye Jun. It is rumored that Ye Jun and Ye Zheng were dissatisfied with his father's falling in love with a Shanghai woman and gave birth to an illegitimate child, Ye Shaohua. Therefore, the two often went out early and returned home late, with little communication with their father. After Ye Wen's death in 1972, Ye Zheng also left Wu Guan and opened a factory in the New Territories. He taught Wing Chun to others in private at home. In 1994, Ye Zheng was apprenticed to the Chinese academy class opened by the Wing Chun Sports Club, and occasionally taught Wing Chun Quan.

The role of Ye Zheng also appeared in the film series of "Ye Wen" starring Zhen Zidan, and played by Wang Shi and Ye He in "Ye Wen 3" and "Ye Wen 4" respectively.

From left: Li Yuchang and Ye Zheng. (Facebook / @ dennisleevt)

"Ye Wen 4" is played by mainland actor Ye He. (Still photos)
    THREADS
    RIP Grandmaster Ip Ching 1936-2020
    Ip Man 4
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Respect!

‘China will win the coronavirus battle’: Ip Man star Donnie Yen donates HK$1 million to frontline medical workers in Wuhan
    The 56-year-old star and film producer posts a 28-second video clip on Weibo thanking frontline medical staff
    The Hong Kong actor’s donation comes at the back of two successful movie releases lately
    Unus Alladin
    Published: 5:50pm, 19 Feb, 2020

A sombre Donnie Yen thanks medical workers in his 28-second video clip on Weibo. Photo: Weibo

Ip Man star Donnie Yen Ji-dan will donate HK$1 million to medical staff working on the frontline in the fight to eliminate the coronavirus. And he believes China will win the battle.
    Yen has been in the news lately with his finale of the Ip Man franchise bringing the curtain down on a highly successful series. His latest movie release, Enter the Fat Dragon, has also received positive reviews, giving him a solid foothold in the martial arts movie industry this year.

Donnie Yen gets serious in Ip Man 4: The Finale. Photo: Mandarin Motion Pictures

The 56-year-old Hong Kong martial arts star and film producer turned to a more serious note when he told thousands of his followers on Chinese website, Weibo, that he wanted to thank all medical workers in China in their fight against the coronavirus.
    The Guangzhou-born star said paintings drawn by his two children, Jasmine and James, would also be donated to Wuhan to help “spread cheer” to frontline workers.
    Wuhan is the epicentre of the coronavirus that has ravaged much of Hubei province and other parts of China. The deadly virus has spread to more than 25 countries.

Ip Man 4 is a fitting end to the franchise. Photo: Mandarin Motion Pictures

Speaking in Mandarin, Yen made a 28-second video which he posted on Weibo. A sombre-looking Yen said: “Hello everyone, I am Yen Ji-dan. I want to take this opportunity to thank all the medical frontline workers [in China]. In this critical moment, everyone please protect yourself well by wearing a mask and washing your hands more often. Distance yourself from the virus but don’t distance love. I believe our country [China] will win the battle against the virus and have the situation under control. Wuhan add oil [come on], China add oil.”
    Ip Man 4 star Donnie Yen ‘very disappointed’ by Quentin Tarantino’s Bruce Lee depiction
    12 Dec 2019

Having wowed movie audiences with the fourth and final instalment of the highly popular Ip Man series in Ip Man 4: The Finale, Yen has enjoyed a new lease of life with his latest movie, an action-packed buddy-cop comedy, Enter the Fat Dragon, which was released during the Lunar New Year holidays.

Donnie Yen in a still from Enter the Fat Dragon. Photo: Mega-Vision Pictures

Ip Man 4: The Finale broke box office records in several Asian markets such as Taiwan and Malaysia, ending the series on a bright note as one the most popular martial arts franchises in movie history.
    His HK$1 million donation, which has been reported by the mainland media, triggered some positive love from his fans on Weibo. “Donnie is awesome and what he says is so warm and full of love!” said one Weibo user.
    Yen is a well-known philanthropist, donating millions of dollars to charity over the years.
    In 2012, Yen and his wife Sissy Wang, co-founded Go.Asia, an online charity platform that encourages individuals to participate in charity work while serving local communities. Yen also served as an ambassador for the international charity Save the Children in 2015 and has supported other noble causes.
    Yen is not the first Hong Kong martial arts star to help the Wuhan cause.
    Fellow kung fu superstar Jackie Chan reportedly offered to pay one million yuan as a reward to whoever develops a vaccine for the coronavirus.

Unus Alladin
    Unus Alladin is an award-winning sports journalist. He has covered the Hong Kong and international sports scene for more than 35 years, ranging from Formula One to the Olympic Games.

I'm going to see Enter the Fat Dragon tonight.

THREADS
    Donnie Yen: Uber Awesome !!
    Enter the Fat Dragon
    Ip Man 4
    COVID-19
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hkfa 2020

May 6, 2020 2:31am PT
    ‘Better Days’ Dominant at Closed Door Edition of Hong Kong Film Awards

By Vivienne Chow

Goodfellas Pictures, Fat Kids Production

Chinese romantic crime drama “Better Days” directed by Hong Kong’s Derek Tsang, scooped eight awards at this year’s Hong Kong Film Awards, including best film, best director, best screenplay and best actress. Critically acclaimed elderly gay drama “Suk Suk” took the best actor and best supporting actress awards, organizers announced on Wednesday afternoon.

Winners, however, were unable to give acceptance speeches on stage as the awards ceremony was cancelled due to the coronavirus epidemic. The results were announced instead via a 25-minute live streaming event hosted by awards chairman Derek Yee.

Dressed in black tie, Yee appeared to be sitting in a dimly lit VIP cinema among the awards statuettes, yet to be presented to the recipients. He said despite the cancellation of the star-studded awards ceremony, organizers kept the polling going and received 1,675 votes from industry practitioners, about 57% of registered voters.

“Better Days” was yanked by mainland authorities from the Berlinale last year, but later became a box office sensation. It also earned awards for acting star Zhou Dongyu and China pop sensation Jackson Yee, and for best original film song for “Fly,” written by Ellen Joyce Loo, the Hong Kong singer-songwriter who died of suicide in 2018, age 32.

Action drama “Ip Man 4: The Finale” emerged as the biggest winner of craft awards, with prizes for film editing, sound design and Yuen Wo-ping’s action choreography.

2020 Hong Kong Film Awards Winners
    Best Film
    “Better Days” Produced by: Jojo Yuet-chun Hui

Best Director
    Derek Kwok-cheung Tsang (“Better Days”)

Best Actor
    Tai Bo (“Suk Suk”)

Best Actress
    Zhou Dongyu (“Better Days”)

Best Screenplay
    Lam Wing Sum, Li Yuan, Xu Yimeng (“Better Days”)

Best New Performer
    Jackson Yee (“Better Days”)

Best New Director
    Norris Wong Yee Lam (“My Prince Edward”)

Best Costume & Makeup Design
    Dora Ng (“Better Days”)

Best Art Direction
    Cheung Siu Hong (“***ara”)

Best Film Editing
    Cheung Ka Fai (“Ip Man 4: The Finale”)

Best Cinematography
    Yu Jing Pin (“Better Days”)

Best Supporting Actor
    Cheung Tat Ming (“i’m livin’ it”)

Best Supporting Actress
    Patra Au Ga Man (“Suk Suk”)

Best Action Choreography
    Yuen Wo Ping (“Ip Man 4: The Finale”)

Best Visual Effects
    Yee Kwok Leung, Ma Siu Fu, Leung Wai Man, Ho Man Lok (“The White Storm 2: Drug Lords”)

Best Sound Design
    Lee Yiu Keung George, Yiu Chun Hin (“Ip Man 4: The Finale”)

Best Original Film Song
    “Fly” (from “Better Days”). Composer: Ellen Joyce Loo. Lyrics: Ellen Joyce Loo, Wu Qing Feng. Vocal artist: Yoyo Sham.

Best Original Film Score
    Eman Lam (“My Prince Edward”)

Best Asian Chinese-Language Film
    “An Elephant Sitting Still”
    THREADS
    HKFA
    covid
    Ip Man 4
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Finally saw it. I liked it more than I thought I would. IMO, it’s the best sequel of the Ip Man franchise.

Interestingly, Chris Collins, who plays the senior karate guy, is portrayed as a white racist, but actually looks half or part-Asian himself.

Scott Adkins, as the marine sergeant, gave the most expressive acting performance I’ve ever seen from him.

The Ip Man franchise does little to make Chinese martial arts look good. In fact, except for Ip Man himself and the Wing Chun style, the Ip Man movies make CMA look really bad, for the most part. All the CMAists from all the other styles always get decimated by the non-Chinese martial artists, and it’s up to Ip Man to fight for their honor. I especially feel bad for Lo Meng. In all three of the Ip Man movies he’s appeared in, he’s gotten his butt handed to him, easily. He was great in his Shaw Brothers/Venoms days, but in the movies now, he’s what the pro wrestlers call a “jobber”; a guy who is always scripted to lose to make everyone else look good. I get that he’s old now, but come on. If you’re still going to cast him in movies, at least let him shine once in a while and not look totally inept.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-05-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Three upcoming Donnie Yen projects

‘Ip Man 5’ among three Donnie Yen films revealed at Cannes (exclusive)
    BY SILVIA WONG 17 MAY 2023

SOURCE: MANDARIN MOTION PICTURES
    ‘IP MAN 4: THE FINALE’
    A trio of action films led by martial arts superstar Donnie Yen have been revealed by Hong Kong-based Mandarin Motion Pictures at the Cannes market.

The company will introduce Ip Man 5, Flash Point Resurgence and Misjudgement to buyers at the Marché this week.

Yen, who was most recently seen in John Wick: Chapter 4, is well known for his role as the eponymous Ip Man, the real-life Wing Chun grandmaster who was a teacher of Bruce Lee. The previous instalment, Ip Man 4: The Finale, generated more than $176.3m at the worldwide box office following its release in 2019.

Flash Point Resurgence is developed from 2007’s Flash Point, which also starred Yen and Louis Koo. No directors have yet been revealed for the projects but all four Ip Man films and Flash Point were directed by Wilson Yip.

The third title, Misjudgement, has China’s Huace Pictures as a co-investor.

Plot details have yet to be revealed.
    Cannes
    SPL-aka-Sha-Po-Lang-aka-Flashpoint
    Ip-Man-4-The-Finale
    Misjudgement
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips