Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non-Pugilistic Wing Chun

Here is an entry in the "The Rattan Ring" thread from the year 2000. Post #12:
    Sihing73
    Hi Kymus,

I beleive that Rene Ritchie has a book out on Yuen Kay San Wing Chun and describes some methods for utilizing the Rattan Ring.

Keep in mind that when one mentions Ring Training there are several variations. There are the brass rings which are designed to slip over your wrist and provide tension/weight while performing hand movements. Also there are ones that are slightly larger designed for gripping training. And of course the ones in Wing Chun which usually have an inside diameter of 12-14". Never really got to play with those as my system does not seem to incorporate them. maybe I can get Rene to show how to use them if we ever meet in person. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peace,

Dave

I've seen the picture of ip man you refer to, some one posted it on here before, think if you do a Google picture search for "ip man" it appears... looks to me like it was about the same time he got all the pictures and videos of the forms recorded.

never known my own lineage (samuel kwok) to use them, seems like one of those things he would of done a book about if he did have them lol

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Master Yuen Kay San would demonstrate the skill by taking out birds on the wing.
    Name:  166511700-styles-of-grip-for-single-blade-shuriken-throwing-weapons-detail-of-hand-grip.jpg
Views: 3796
Size:  56.3 KB

I read a book on throwing weapons recently, the grip for the Chinese throwing dart was interesting, like the one above ( I think that's a Japanese version of it. )

Thanks for posting the picture, T.D.O. The grip makes perfect sense for using a throwing dart like that. There are many different types of darts, that one would be perfect for short range overhead extended arm throw. Wouldn't mind having a dozen of those for my vest. I can see that the dart is made out of bronze instead of brass or steel, an old one (antiquer).
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-11-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks for posting the picture, T.D.O. The grip makes perfect sense for using a throwing dart like that. There are many different types of darts, that one would be perfect for short range overhead extended arm throw. Wouldn't mind having a dozen of those for my vest. I can see that the dart is made out of bronze instead of brass or steel, an old one (antiquer).
    That's one I found online, I'll see if I can upload the one from the book, the dart is completely different from that, though the grip is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    That's one I found online, I'll see if I can upload the one from the book, the dart is completely different from that, though the grip is the same.
    Name:  20210512_153038.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  20210512_153008.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  20210512_152911.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  45.8 KB

Just so everyone knows, the blade point configured in post picture above was outlawed by the Geneva Convention back around WW1 due to the fact that bayonet wounds from tri or quad points made wounds that would never heal. Configured blade points used by deer/game bow hunters is probably one of the few exceptions.
    Here is one of my favorite Kung Fu movies that has a dart-throwing Lady Master in the mix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcOW4tzo2I

Just so everyone knows, the blade point configured in post picture above was outlawed by the Geneva Convention back around WW1 due to the fact that bayonet wounds from tri or quad points made wounds that would never heal.
    And I don't think anybody should be throwing any type of weapon at people anyway

Not so much in this day and age. Bet there were a few bandits with 'em sticking in their backs running off into the sunset in the 'Old Days', though.

Not so much in this day and age. Bet there were a few bandits with 'em sticking in their backs running off into the sunset in the 'Old Days', though.
    I would of aimed for the legs, harder to run away and probably less armour

what makes you think it was LJ?
    https://www.martialtalk.com/threads/...g-chun.123510/

Interesting thread to do with wing chun and ba gua (theory)

https://www.martialtalk.com/threads/...g-chun.123510/

Interesting thread to do with wing chun and ba gua (theory)
    I see some overlap, but being from a large metropolis, all these styles tend to blend together in one's mind. It could be there's only a finite number of moves that the overlap was not temporally based. BTW, since I had the scanner out, check out this picture of IP Man with his big TV behind him. Now I'm really wondering what influence TV had on his kung fu, haha
    Attached Images Attached Images  

theres only so many ways to move, so I see your point, but it did have to come from somewhere and it's fun to compare

IP man was only little, so it might not be that big lol