Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shuai Jiao

Ka Guest

Shuai Jiao

What do people think of this system?From what I have experienced they seem to intergrate throws and locks very well.

Stranger Guest
    Looks very effective and interesting to me.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Incredible art. Very effecive.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Shuai Jiao Folks

How do you guys train? I mean other than sparring. Do you have fighting sets, forms, etc. Just curious about that....
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

Re: Shuai Jiao Folks

Originally posted by PT-Kali
    How do you guys train? I mean other than sparring. Do you have fighting sets, forms, etc. Just curious about that....
    Obviously, you haven't seen these videos.

http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/johnwang1.html

watch vid 11-15. You can watch the other as well. but vid 11-15 holds the answers to your questions..

wm
    dazed and confused

no, I haven't seen them, nor does it look like I will now, they're not working for me....
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

These are window media file. You can download window media player for both windows and mac. Goto microsoft's site for detail. If you are on other type of OS, then you are out of luck.

wm
    dazed and confused

drilling, apparatus training (pulley, rock pole, etc) sparring, stance training, forms...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Not out of luck with other OS's. I watched them using mplayer under Linux.

Wow , I hadn't seen those. Cool

Question

Technically I should have started a new thread for this, but what I am asking is fairly close to this thread's topic.

In Finland - as far as I know, at least - there is no Shuai Jiao, so I cannot ask anybody in person nor can I go and observe myself. I have used the net, but these forums are always the best place to come to with a question like mine.

Some people say Shuai Jiao is closer to modern day Judo than any other well known martial art. In some sources, however, I have noticed references to ground fighting applications akin to BJJ and others.

So, my question is this: does Shiao Jiao include any ground fighting techniques?

Thanks

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

Here's a 'typical' 2 hour training session for me.

1. Warm-up with body rotations
    2. jog for about 20 minutes
    3. cardio. This gets mixed up a lot, but it's basically a combo of wind sprints, form work(in 2 minute rounds), belt cracking, lifting your training partner, push ups, jumping jacks, squats, etc
    4. falling. This is good to get in reps on the throws as well. If you do 5 throws * 20 reps, you've been thrown 100 times
    5. strategy. pick an application and drill it. We use this with light to medium resistance
    6. free wrasslin'
    7. Cool down with stance work
    Last edited by Water Dragon; 01-06-2004 at 07:47 AM.

(Whispering on tiptoes: okay, okay, I'll take my question and start a new thread... )
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

I have seen a list of training forms, or whatever. Such as 13 Tai Po and 24 shadow drills, can anyone elaborate on those?

In classical Shuai Chiao there is no ground rolling or sacrifice techniques. The SJ attitude is to throw you down hard and stick a sharp object into you. It really was meant for battlefield training in that regard...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star