Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shuai Jiao

MonkeySlap, thanks for the answer

Now, you mentioned in classical SJ there is no ground work. Are there other types of SJ that would include ground techniques?

Thanks

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

How old is Shui Chiao? I'm willing to bet it's really old but some site claimed GM Chang is the founder of modern Shui Chiao.

Depending on how far you want to go, generic shuai jiao, chinese wrestling, goes back to the dawn of the chinese civilization.

There are three major styles of Chinese Shuai Jiao today. Beijing, Tienjian, and Baoding.

Bejing - emphasize strength over techniques, heavily influence by Mongolian wrestling.
    Tienjian - emphasize techniques over strength.
    Baoding - a balance of strength and techniques.

GM Chang is certainly one of the best Baoding Shuai Jiao practioner of the modern era. But, I don't think it would be correct to say he is the father of modern shuai jiao. He can be considered to be the father of US shuai jiao movement.

wm
    dazed and confused

I just located some cool clips at www.combatshuaichiao.com

I watched one video which shows the 13 Tai Po and 24 shadow fighting linked together....is this is how it's taught in the states? The clip was obviously from China...
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

Hi sc_guy,

I think the 120 move form would be great from the standpoint of having a reference form to work with. I remember you saying in another forum that some of the Shuai Chiao techniques have more than one name. I hope that you document them so that those names would not be lost; sometimes the different name will give a person a better understanding of how to do the technique.

By the way, for years now, Liang Shouyu has been working on a Shuai Chiao that documents 300 throws. It is supposed to be published through YMAA. I hope this happens.

mickey

Talking

Originally posted by sc_guy

That girl went to the Central Police Uninersity SC class. After she beated 4 police SC women. The instructor Chu Yu-Lon got a guy finally beated her and save his face. She is currently in BJJ and a very good grappler and also a good Mui Tai fighter.
    wow!!!! does she also live in Austin? one of my goal in life is to let a good looking woman wearing perfume to beat me in BJJ..... when r u opening that new SC school w/ 20 good looking & smelling woman? I'll be there in Austin in a heart beat.......

sc, very nice to meet up w/ u again.... thnks for sharing ur SC stuff w/ us.

cheers,
    JH =)
    Last edited by iWalkTheCircle; 01-08-2004 at 08:02 AM.
    My radio station:: http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1224612862

----------
    "iWalkTheCircle moves like a weed blown in the wind. Soft flexible and irritating as hell when you want to hit him." --Topher

Thanks for the info SC...but if you were studying Shuai Chiao and knew the techniques she was doing I don't think it would be too hard to mimick her and do the form yourself.
    "I respect you as a man, as well as your art. My blade does not." - Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje

Sc_Guy, did you hit her?...because if you did, she'll never come back
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Let that be a lesson to you, SC guy, don't go around cheatin' on your girls, ESPECIALLY with a girl that studies a Korean system

Unhappy

Yes! But I don't know where. She used to be my girl.

It was a sad and painful memory in my life. I knew her for more than 18 years (since she was only 22 years old). We had traveled all over the world together. One day I broke her heart and she moved out and I lost her forever. I know I would regret that for the rest of my life.

When my shoe lash was loose, she would bend down and tie my shoes without saying a word. Her heart are as pure as an angel.

Hope she may read this post someday and contact me again!
    Never hit any girls in my life. There was another girl involved, a black belt in TKD. She almost sent that TKD girl to hospital. I was standing in between and took most of the punches and kicks.

SC,
    i'm SORRY to bring out this sad/painful memory from you.

the imagery of u taking hit between 2 women u love is very SAD:~( someTime realLife story is way more sad than TV shows or movies. it sounded like that u guys had a very beautiful and strong relationship in the past.....

i sincerly wish that she will read this message, & maybe contact u soon..... on open internet forum, u never know who is reading it. best of luck for you!!!! from my very limited life experience, I know this-- second chance is very hard to come by. if it does comeBy the feeling/situation maybe not be as good as the first. itz all same but different. the second time the fruits might not be as ripe i pray that maybe one day all your paths may cross again, & the relationShip more fruitful & even better than the first. for the most part a person tend to be constant, but people still do change (for better or worse) sometime.......

Carpe diem: Used as an admonition to seize the pleasures of the moment without concern for the future. n. Such an admonition. [Latin : carpe, seize + diem, day.] -or- 1817, from L., "enjoy the day," lit. "pluck the day (while it is ripe)," an aphorism from Horace ("Odes" I.xi), from PIE *kerp- "to gather, pluck, harvest."

my wife is also has the heart of angel, & is an angel to me in all aspect. I someTime do many stupid stuff to make her MAD. I wish myWife shall NEVER become a sad/painful memory for me. Thnks for reminging me to get my acts together, since I cannot afford to regret myLove for the rest of my life.

cheers,
    JH =)
    Last edited by iWalkTheCircle; 01-08-2004 at 08:17 AM.
    My radio station:: http://launch.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1224612862

----------
    "iWalkTheCircle moves like a weed blown in the wind. Soft flexible and irritating as hell when you want to hit him." --Topher

Never hit any girls in my life. There was another girl involved, a black belt in TKD. She almost sent that TKD girl to hospital. I was standing in between and took most of the punches and kicks.
    See, that's why you should date BJJ girls. Next time, you could be stuck between them as the roll around the ground, panting and sweaty, wrapping their legs around you as they... Oh gee, I got excited there.

Anyway, you could be a SC Sandwich!

Re: Re: Shuai Jiao Folks

Originally posted by WanderingMonk

Obviously, you haven't seen these videos.

http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/johnwang1.html

watch vid 11-15. You can watch the other as well. but vid 11-15 holds the answers to your questions..

wm
    YES! i've been looking for those clips for like 2 or 3 months now.
    Thanks for posting them!

Shuai Jiao

meatshake or cap, or anyone else that does this.
    just a quick question
    : In SJ how is the weight difference situation addressed when pairing off combatants/ opponents?
    Does it matter the size weight difference of opponents , or can this be done by anyone versus anyone?

thanks

Certain moves can be applied better to bigger people.

Shuai Chiao has something for every build and has something that works against every build. Shake can go into it better than I can seeing how I've been out of practice for a minute.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I find that bigger people have an advantage in Shuai Chiao, due to raw streangt. The higher up the skill latter you get, the less and less it matter how big you are.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."