Thread: Chasing the Dragon

Chasing the Dragon

I think this is a new project, heretofore unreported on this forum (if anyone can find a previous reference, please let me know and I'll merge).

Donnie Yen and Andy Lau are ‘Chasing The Dragon…’
    01 Oct 2016/Mike Leeder

The shooting has started in Hong Kong on one of the most highly anticipated Hong Kong movies of the year, Chasing the Dragon a 70s set crime thriller directed by Über-producer & director Wong Jing and cinematographer Jason Kwan. The film stars Donnie Yen as Ng Sik-ho, better known as Limpy Ho, a notorious gangster who carved a criminal empire for himself in Hong Kong in the 60s and early 70s, while Andy Lau reprises a character he played 25 years ago, corrupt Hong Kong Police detective Lui Lok/Lee Rock, known as the ‘500 Million $ Detective’.

The film also stars Michele Hu (Once Upon a Time in Shanghai), Kent Cheng (Run & Kill), Philip Ng (Once Upon a Time in Shanghai), Xu Dong-dong, Philip Keung (Helios) and Wilfred Lau. British actor Bryan Larkin (Vengeance, London has Fallen) who is also joining the project. It tells of Hong Kong at one of its darkest times: when corruption and crime nearly tore the city apart. The movie, which has also been known as City of Darkness and King of Drug Dealers, is not – as many websites reported – a remake of Johnny Mak’s To Be Number One (which saw Yen’s Flashpoint co-star Ray Lui Leung-wai giving the performance of a lifetime as Limpy Ho) but IS set during the same time period and featuring many of the characters including Ho and Lee Rock from that time as they rose to power.

While the film will feature plenty of hack-and-slash gangster-styled action courtesy of Yen and his team (which are handling the action and stunt choreography for the movie_ it is not a martial arts movie per se – it’s very much a crime drama with action elements. Yen appeared at the film’s press conference complete with cane and speaking in a Chouzhou dialect. The film marks the first time Yen and Lau have worked together. A lot of the film’s budget is being spent on an authentic 1970s feel for the Hong Kong scenes with some very impressive period sets replicating old Hong Kong including the infamous Kowloon Walled City and Lai Chi Kok Amusement Park being built for the movie.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It's a wrap

Donnie announced on his fb page.

Donnie Yen-甄子丹 Official
    Like This Page · 16 hrs ·

Forgot to share with you all that my latest movie Chasing The Dragon officially wrapped two days ago after three months of intense shooting! This will be contrary to any roles I'd played in the past! An epic!👌
    #donnieyen #甄子丹 #hongkongmovies #gangsterfilm

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well Go USA Acquires ‘Chasing The Dragon’ & ‘The Golden Monk’

Hold the phone. What's The Golden Monk? Time for a new thread.

Well Go USA Acquires ‘Chasing The Dragon’ & ‘The Golden Monk’ And Takes Another Swing At Donnie Yen
    by Patrick Hipes
    February 9, 2017 11:21am

Photo by Vianney Le Caer/REX/Shutterstock (7765373by)
    Donnie Yen
    'xXx: The Return of Xander Cage' Film Premiere, London, UK - 10 Jan 2017

EXCLUSIVE: Well Go USA Entertainment has acquired rights to Chasing the Dragon and The Golden Monk, a pair of films from Hong Kong director Wong Jin. The Chasing the Dragon deal reunites the indie distributor with Donnie Yen, who most recently appeared in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and xXx: Return Of Xander Cage; Well Go was behind the U.S. release of the Yen-starring Ip Man movies.

Based on a true story, Chasing the Dragon stars Yen as an immigrant in Hong Kong who is caught in the underground world of corrupt cops and ruthless drug dealers, and he becomes determined to become the sole dictator in the drug empire. The Golden Monk stars Zheng Kai and Zhang Yuqi in a fantastical story of Butong and Jade, whose star-crossed love spans multiple lifetimes and reincarnations.

The rights deals are for key English-language territories including North America, the UK, Australia and New Zealand. The pics join a Well Go roster that includes recent titles Train to Busan from Sang-ho Yeon and Hou Hsiao-Hsien’s The Assassin.

The new deals were negotiated between Well Go president and CEO Doris Pfardrescher and Angela Wong at Mega-Vision Project Workshop on behalf of the filmmaker.

“We have been part of Donnie Yen’s fan club for many years and are excited to see him gain a larger audience in the U.S. so that more people can witness his true talent,” Pfardrescher said. “And with our growing relationship with Mega-Vision and Wong Jing, we are delighted to bring both of these great films to the English-language territories through Well Go.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chasing Dragon (追龙, 2017) Donnie Yen / Andy Lau action teaser trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sep 29

Look what I just found on the AMC site:
    Chasing the Dragon
    OPENING SEP 29
    Nothing on Well Go USA yet. I imagine that'll be soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chasing the Dragon - Official Trailer - Donnie Yen 甄子丹

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CHASING THE DRAGON (2017) Official Trailer | Donnie Yen Gangster Movie

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Never Say Die

I got nothing on Never Say Die but it beat out both Jackie's The Foreigner and Donnie's Chasing the Dragon (and Orlando's S.M.A.R.T. Chase, which we do care about because Orlando is cool and rocks Feiyues) for the Moon Fest movie rush, so I guess I should check it out.

China Box Office: Martial Arts Comedy Opens to $46M, Topping Jackie Chan's 'The Foreigner'
    2:46 AM PDT 10/2/2017 by Patrick Brzeski

'The Foreigner'

Local comedy 'Never Say Die' outperformed Chan's STX-backed action thriller, which earned $21.9 million on Saturday and Sunday.
    Martial arts comedy Never Say Die came out swinging at the Chinese box office over the weekend, opening with $46.2 million on Saturday and Sunday.

The slapstick hit relegated Jackie Chan to a rare second-place finish, as his STX-produced action thriller The Foreigner opened with $21.9 million over the same two days.

Sunday was the start of one of China's so-called "Golden Weeks," a lucky succession of national holidays that results in most Chinese employees getting a full seven days off work. In recent years, this reprieve has translated into brisk business at Chinese multiplexes. In response, Chinese regulators have taken to blocking Hollywood movie openings during the holiday, putting the focus on Chinese culture while giving local studios a boost.

Never Say Die was produced by Beijing theater group Mahua Fun Age, the creative force behind last year's comedy smash Goodbye Mr. Loser ($226 million). Never Say Die tells the story of a boxer and a journalist who mysteriously swap bodies after they are zapped by electricity, sending the duo spinning through a series of slapstick misadventures. The film is an adaptation of a hit Mahua stage comedy of the same name. Directed by Song Yang and Zhang Chiyu (the director pair behind the play), the film stars Ai Lun and Ma Li, two of the leads from Mr. Loser.

Directed by Martin Campbell and co-starring Pierce Brosnan, The Foreigner finds Chan in "serious Jackie Chan" mode, playing a humble London businessman whose mysterious past erupts in a revenge-fuelled vendetta when his teenage daughter dies in a terrorist attack. The English-language film earned just shy of $2 million on Imax screens over the weekend. Respectable word of mouth suggests the movie will hold onto second place throughout the week. A U.K.-China co-production, The Foreigner is set to open in North America on Oct. 13.

Chasing the Dragon, a slick martial arts drama starring Hong Kong favorites Donnie Yen and Andy Lau, landed in third place with $14.2 million. It was followed by Sky Hunter, a patriotic air force action flick directed by and starring Li Chen, which earned $13 million. Fan Bingbing, Li's real-life fiance, co-stars as the romantic lead.

Although Hollywood movies are blocked from opening over National Day, one other familiar Western face did pop up on Chinese screens over the weekend. S.M.A.R.T. Chase, a Chinese road race thriller produced by Shanghai-based Bliss Media and starring Orlando Bloom, also debuted Saturday. The film hit the track with a sputter, however, taking just $1.5 million for the frame.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What? Remaking Enter the Fat Dragon?

From Chasing to Enter the Fat

Donnie Yen out to prove he's not bad at acting in Chasing The Dragon

Andy Lau (left) and Donnie Yen at the premiere of Chasing The Dragon in Hong Kong last month.PHOTO: SHAW ORGANISATION

PUBLISHEDOCT 4, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT

For crime biopic Chasing The Dragon, Donnie Yen learns to speak like the Teochew drug lord he plays and wears prosthetics to look more authentic in the role
    Foong Woei Wan In Hong Kong

He burnished his cult reputation as an action man with slugfests such as SPL: Sha Po Lang (2005), ascended to superstardom as gongfu legend Ip Man and leapt into the global pop-culture stratosphere with last year's Star Wars film Rogue One.

Yet, Donnie Yen was hungry for more - for a "chance to show the audience I'm really not bad at acting", says the action movie star.

To this end, he has taken the plunge and transformed himself into the limping, Teochew-spewing drug lord, Crippled Ho, in the rollicking Hong Kong crime biopic Chasing The Dragon.

The movie, which opens in Singapore tomorrow, is director Wong Jing's two-in-one reboot of the 1991 gangland dramas To Be Number One and Lee Rock.

Drawn from the true stories of drug trafficker Ng Sik Ho, alias Limpy Ho, and police officer Lui Lok, alias the "500 Million Dollar Sergeant", Chasing The Dragon is a trip through Hong Kong's colonial past, when vice was allowed to flourish so long as corrupt cops could feed off the profits.

In particular, the film tracks the rise and fall of Crippled Ho (Yen), an illegal immigrant from Swatow, China, as he joins the drug trade under pressure and joins forces with Lui Lok (Andy Lau, returning in the same role he played in Lee Rock, but with a differently spelled name), a fellow enterprising Teochew who is rising through the ranks in the Hong Kong police force.

In an interview, Yen recalls he had reservations about playing an anti-hero in Chasing The Dragon. Although he had played villains, it was "many years ago", before his career-defining role as Bruce Lee's teacher in the Ip Man movies (2008 to 2015) elevated him to role-model status.

"I'm a family man," says Yen, 54, who has three children from two marriages. "I don't want my kids' classmates to be like, 'Why's Uncle Donnie playing such a role?'"

But the prospect of proving himself to be a good actor was too tempting to pass up and he decided to go for it. "We action actors have to make double the effort for the audience to feel you can act," he says. "Actually, it's not fair to me. Actually, I think I'm not bad at acting."

To Be Number One, starring Ray Lui as a crime boss called Crippled Ho, won Best Film and Best Screenplay at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 1992, months after Ng, who inspired the movie but did not authorise it, died of liver cancer. (Lee Rock, produced by Wong and starring Lau in the title role as a corrupt policeman, won a prize on the same night, Best Supporting Actor for Kwan Hoi San.)

Yen says he did his own research to create a Crippled Ho different from the one played by his "good friend" Lui. "I found that Ray Lui had copied Godfather, you know, gained weight. If I play it like Ray Lui, I'll be copying him, which I feel is meaningless."

Lui's Crippled Ho also spoke perfect Cantonese, unlike the actual Limpy Ho, so Yen chose to go in the direction of biological truth.

"I had to speak Teochew," says Yen, a native of Guangzhou, China, who has lived in the United States and is also fluent in English. "But more difficult than Teochew was Teochew-accented Cantonese. This was so hard, so hard."

Teochew training for Chasing The Dragon began when he was still on the set of Rogue One in England.

Yen recalls he flew a language professor out there to "whisper in my ear every day". They also had to - Yen pauses and demonstrates - "gan yeun gong yeh", or speak like this, in Cantonese with a nasal Teochew accent and sound like tycoon Li Ka Shing. (Unfortunately, Yen's accent work has been dubbed over, into Mandarin, for theatrical release in Singapore.)

Besides talking the talk, Yen walked the walk. He practised a limp and had his nose widened and lips thickened with prosthetic make-up to look Teochew.

Also, he came on board as a producer to take creative control of the film.

Coming clean about his doubts about Wong, who has had an erratic career, Yen says: "I was a bit afraid to make a movie with him. Maybe, you know, he's not serious enough. How is the movie gonna turn out?"

Lau, 56, who signed up at the outset to produce Chasing The Dragon, pronounces: "This is a quality production."

He goes back a long way with Wong, who has directed him in movies from the 1989 hit God Of Gamblers to the 2016 dud Mission Milano.

The superstar says of Wong: "He's a neglected director and then because of this neglect, he's even given up on himself. So I always say to him, 'You can't, you really can't.'"

Chasing The Dragon was a twinkle in Wong's eye when Mission Milano was still in production and Lau recalls: "I said, 'Do a good job with this movie, don't think so much about other things', but he didn't do a good job (with Mission Milano)."

This time, Lau was worried in the beginning, when it was not clear who would star as Crippled Ho in Chasing The Dragon. "Maybe everyone's confidence in Wong Jing wasn't strong for this genre and many important actors weren't confirmed."

The project is quite a departure for Wong, who wrote the screenplay and directed it with cinematographer Jason Kwan.

The period extravaganza that follows Crippled Ho and Lui Lok, two men on different sides of the law, would appear to be up the alley of Andrew Lau (Infernal Affairs, 2002), for instance, rather than Wong.

So Lau began planning postproduction work, including setting aside enough time for the addition and refinement of visual effects. He also reminded Wong that, as part of pre-production, a replica of the Kowloon Walled City, the fabled lawless fortress that is a centrepiece of the film, would have to be built properly.

Eventually, Kwan - "a director I very much believe in", Lau says - oversaw the construction of the replica and Yen also agreed to star in and produce the movie.

"I was surprised he acted so well," Lau says of Yen, before quipping: "But he was under pressure because I was there and I was formidable too."

Yen strikes a more modest note when he speaks of his performance. "I'll let the audience judge. It's hard for me to say, 'I acted well, didn't you see?'"

But he hopes Crippled Ho will be another character associated with him, after Ip Man. "Then I'll feel I've succeeded."

Meanwhile, in a sure sign that Wong has won Yen over, they are next teaming up for an action comedy, Enter The Fat Dragon.

•Chasing The Dragon opens in Singapore tomorrow .

Enter the Fat Dragon (1978) is one of my fav Sammo flicks. Sammo slays it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wth?

Still got nothing on this film. But we do have a thread on Goodbye Mr. Loser

China Box Office: 'Never Say Die' Hurtles Past $200M
    9:08 PM PDT 10/8/2017 by Patrick Brzeski

'Never Say Die'

STX Entertainment's Jackie Chan thriller 'The Foreigner' came in third place in its second weekend, with its total climbing to $67 million.
    Local comedy Never Say Die dominated China's Golden Week autumn holiday period this year.

The body-swapping comedy from Mahua Funage, a Beijing theater troupe turned box-office powerhouse, earned $65.3 million in its second weekend, taking its nine-day total to a massive $220 million. The blockbuster pulled in around $25 or more every day of the weeklong holiday, nearly tripling the individual totals of the various local titles that trailed it.

The film will easily surpass Goodbye Mr. Loser, Mahua's debut release, which wildly surpassed expectations by earning $226 million in 2015.

Jackie Chan's gritty English-language thriller The Foreigner slipped to third place in its second weekend, earning $15.2 million behind Hong Kong martial arts drama Chasing the Dragon with $17 million. A U.K.-China co-production, backed by STX Entertainment, The Foreigner has earned $67 million after nine days. That's well below Chan's recent martial arts action comedies, such as Kung Fu Yoga ($254.5 million) and Railroad Tigers ($101.5 million), but it's less surprising given that the foreign-themed thriller sits far outside Chan's usual family-fun wheelhouse.

Although it's nudged ahead in daily earnings recently, Chasing the Dragon, which stars Donnie Yen and Andy Lau, is still a step behind The Foreigner for the full holiday period, with its nine-day total sitting at $59.7 million as of Monday.

Musical movie City of Rock, directed by and starring Chengpeng Dong (Jian Bing Man, $186 million in 2015), added $12 million in its second weekend. After 10 days, it has earned $38.7 million.

Fan Bingbing's patriotic air force movie Sky Hunters is the fifth-place finisher for the holiday, having earned $10.6 million in its second frame and $37.8 million overall.

STX Entertainment will be back in the China market later this week, with the studio's local partner Huayi Brothers set to release The Space Between Us on Friday.
    Never Say Die
    Jackie's The Foreigner
    Donnie's Chasing the Dragon
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Props to Sammo & Chasing the Dragon too!

Our Time Will Come wins big at Hong Kong Film Awards, director Ann Hui says her 'heart can't bear it'

Hong Kong director Ann Hui (left) and actress Deanie Ip posing with their Best Director and Best Supporting Actress awards.PHOTO: REUTERS
    PUBLISHED APR 16, 2018, 2:26 PM SGT UPDATED 6 HOURS AGO

HONG KONG - Our Time Will Come, Ann Hui's wartime drama, won Best Film at the Hong Kong Film Awards on Sunday night, and Hui was honoured as Best Director for the sixth time.

The movie, about the little-known resistance movement of leftist guerillas in Hong Kong during the Second Sino-Japanese War, collected five prizes in total, including Best Art Direction, Best Score and a third Best Supporting Actress award for Deanie Ip.

And Sunday proved third time lucky for Louis Koo and Teresa Mo, who finally won Best Actor and Best Actress in their third attempts, said Ming Pao Daily News.

Koo's win, for his portrayal of a police negotiator looking for his missing daughter in Thailand in Paradox, was expected. So was Mo's, for her portrayal of a housewife taking care of an autistic son in Tomorrow Is Another Day.

On stage, Koo clenched his fists, sighed, and produced a note from his pocket, said Ming Pao. He said he had been reflecting on "how Hong Kong people are to make Hong Kong movies", especially when veteran director, writer and actor Chor Yuen was honoured with a lifetime achievement award earlier in the evening.

He remembered Chor giving him a piece of advice on the set of a TVB show, which "I have been learning from till today": "Remember to never give up on any scene, and any line of dialogue. Go over it once and again and yet again because you can't give up making a good movie."

Thanking his family, Koo, 47, also said: "I'm a full-grown adult who still lives with my family. Every morning my mother wakes me up. I can't not live with my family because a person needs his family's support, just as Hong Kong cinema needs everyone's support to do better."

Mo said she did not prepare a speech because she was afraid she would be disappointed again. She thanked her bosses; "everyone who voted for me"; close friends including actresses Ada Choi, Candice Yu and Margie Tsang; her two daughters; and her husband, director Tony Au.

Mo, 58, said of Au, 64: "He helped me a lot with this movie and gave me a lot of opinions. I know you're not satisfied, but I want to tell you, 'I got it,' and I promise to do better in future."

Hui, surprised to win Best Director again, said: "I don't want to be nominated again, my heart can't bear it."

The 70-year-old thanked her cast and crew, "especially guest actor Ray Lui, for supporting me in my wish to film Hong Kong history".

Besides Our Time Will Come, Wilson Yip's action thriller Paradox and Sylvia Chang's generational drama Love Education had come to the ceremony as strong contenders. In addition to Best Actor, Paradox won Best Action Choreography for Sammo Hung and Best Sound Design. Love Education won Best Screenplay for Chang.

The crime drama Chasing The Dragon went home with cinematography and editing awards.

Philip Keung was named Best Supporting Actor for the bomb disposal thriller Shock Wave. Theatre actor Ling Man Lung won Best New Performer for his role as the autistic son in Tomorrow Is Another Day and theatre actress Kearen Pang, Best New Director for an adaptation of her one-woman play 29+1.

In an emotional acceptance speech, Keung, 51, said: "It's really me. I've never had good luck. But in recent years, I've met many good people, prosperous people, so many that I was scared I would die."

He thanked a list of people, including his co-star Andy Lau, director Herman Yau, and his boss Louis Koo.

Chor, 83, made a rare public appearance on Sunday, accompanied by his wife, actress Nan Hong, and their young granddaughter, said Ming Pao. Despite rumours that he was suffering from a degenerative brain disease, he gave quite a speech.

"In being given this prize, I'm being forced to say, 'I am not worthy,'" said the director of Shaw movies such as Killer Clans (1976) and Death Duel (1977).

Recalling his ups and downs, he said: "I once broke the Hong Kong box office record. The company signed a new contract with me, increased my pay by 10 times, and made me the luckiest director.

"Ten years later, after shooting a few poorer films, I wanted to shoot Demi-Gods And Semi-Devils. On the opening day of the shoot, Mona Fong came to tear up the notice and tell me not to shoot. She said, 'Who let you shoot? Will you pay for the loss? Chor Yuen doesn't understand the art of film at all.' I then became the most embarassing director of Shaw Brothers Studio."

Life is made of cheers and tears, and he believes in constantly looking ahead, he said. "I'm so old that I'm no longer working. This time I've got my senior citizen card, and it should be okay to 'pay no mind to thousands of things in the world, but laugh quietly twice or thrice in an idle moment'."
    THREADS:
    Paradox
    Hong Kong Film Awards
    Chasing the Dragon
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

Finally saw this. I liked it. It was sort of an HK Scarface. Over the top about the ol’ brother cop & brother crime lord schtick, but that’s HK gangsta flick for ya. I liked its style and grittiness and visceral fights. Some fine cinematography and a very different performance by Donnie. Andy played a familiar role for him. Both were enjoyable.

It was long winded tho. Maybe seeing it on Netflix instead of in the theater lowered my expectations.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Afm 2018

I've been trying to think of how best to present this because it's dense. I decided to present the full list here on the Chollywood rising thread and partial lists to start new indie threads for the titles that look martially interesting or are relevant to other threads.

AFM 2018: The buzz titles from Hong Kong and China
    BY LIZ SHACKLETON 2 NOVEMBER 2018

Despite dipping box office and a censorship process slowing up the production pipeline, there are some knockout titles to get excited about for Chinese New Year.

SOURCE: WANDA PICTURES
    ‘AIRPOCALYPSE’

Mainland China’s film industry is going through a turbulent period. Despite the success of Bona Film Group’s Project Gutenberg, which grossed nearly $160m over the National Day holidays, box office was on a downward trend in October 2018 compared to the previous year. In addition, the censorship process has slowed following the Chinese authorities’ overhaul of their regulatory infrastructure and the government’s recent request that talent and production companies pay their back taxes has sent the industry into a spin.

As a result, production is expected to slow down in the last quarter of this year, which could result in a shortage of big titles in the second half of 2019, but there is still a large volume of films in production and post-production that are on offer at AFM. Big titles scheduled for release before the end of the year include Wanda Pictures’ fantasy drama Airpocalypse and Huayi Brothers’ action adventure Mojin: The Worm Valley.

Although it is still early days for scheduling, films jostling for release during the peak Chinese New Year holiday period in February 2019 include Mega-Vision Project Workshop’s Enter The Fat Dragon, starring Donnie Yen; Emperor Motion Pictures’ Integrity, directed by Alan Mak and starring Sean Lau and Nick Cheung; and Jackie Chan’s The Knight Of Shadows: Between Yin And Yang.

Chasing The Dragon II: Master Of Ransom - dirs Wong Jing, Jason Kwan
    In post-production, the second instalment in Wong Jing’s Chasing The Dragon series is based on a real-life spate of kidnappings that terrorised Hong Kong’s elite in the 1990s. Tony Leung Ka-fai plays the kidnap king, while Louis Koo is the undercover agent who infiltrates his gang. Wong and Kwan also co-directed Chasing The Dragon, based on the true story of drug dealer Ng Sek-ho, which was a hit in Hong Kong and China last year.
    Chasing the Dragon
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips