Thread: Signature movements of different Shaolin forms

Signature movements of different Shaolin forms

Greetings to everyone!

I would ask the community if we can start posting here a collection of the major-signature movements and strategies of several Shaolin forms. You can see many similar chang quan techniques in Tong bei quan, in Xiao Hong quan, in Pao quan, in many Shaolin quan, but which are the main techniques of each form? If you would create a photo album for example with 5 or 7 pictures from each form which techniques would this be? And what teaches you each form? Its basic strategy. I would suggest to begin with the Henan 10 curriculum forms first. And continue with basic weapon forms like Yecha-Qimei-Yinshou for Shaolin staff and other weapons.

Without intending to be disrespectful but I truly believe your question about what teaches you each form is hard to answer.
    Because its my understanding that most Shaolin "forms" are like seperate Systems.

So yes they definitly teach you something but at the same time its not like okay I learn form A, then B, then C.
    I think its more okay I learned A, in my sect or in my time this one was B, or I need this as B on my way and
    a specific C will follow.

So I would reformulate your question into" What aspects of Fighting does each specific Shaolin System teach?"
    Which becomes into a fast question and a fast answer..

Best,
    Xian

My version o signature movements of the most significant shaolin forms

I will express what i know about shaolin forms. I will describe the 10 form curriculum of Shi Yong Xin here.

First of all, all forms contain chang quan movements from the xiao hong form and then they add a few techniques that mark-express each form.
    And second, you learn a different way to fight with each form. For example with Meihua you learn to fight on the ground, with tongbei to fight with long arms in two directions, with Dahong to fight hard in close range, with luohan to mimic an arhat like a shaolin monk would do in his prayers, to fight with explosive-penetrating movements in pao quan, to fight with a partner in total coordination in the liu he quan, to use soft circular motions to grab and throw someone with the tai zu form, to protect your body with your arms and legs and attack at the same time like in changhuxinyimen and to fight with kicks with qixing quan.

1.Xiaohongquan (small red fist)
    This is the basic form of all shaolin fists. The essence. Every other form contains the xiao hong chang quan movements plus a few new techniques that describe each form. In Xiao hong, you move like a flooding river with your attacks. withdraw and attack. Signature movement is the single front push palm.its strategy is to fight in long range in a soft way. You fight turning and defending and attacking to the sides while tongbi at the front advancing fights.

2.Dahongquan (big red fist)
    This is a Xiao hong quan form with more techniques. Xiao hong is a long distance form. This form uses xiao hong techniques but in close range fighting. Dahong uses more fists then xiao hong that uses palms.xiao is soft and da is hard.its signature movement is double fist and elbow attacks.its strategy is to fight in close range with a hard way.

3.Tongbiquan (through arms fist)
    It uses the xiao hong chang quan techniques plus a jumping movement like an ape.signature movement is the opening of the arms in two directions. Its strategy is to attack at the front with force.

4.Liuhequan (six harmonies fist)
    A common term for different forms. single man form and two man forms. Mostly used fro pre arranged two man forms. Each one of the fighters have to move, attack and defend in total harmony with his opponent.

5.Changquan (long fist)
    This is the fist of the first emperor of the Song dynasty. This form was given by him or his generals to the shaolin temple as an exam form to prove that someone a true shaolin is and not fake. It has xiao hong techniques and keeps xiaos soft character but adds an explosion to the techniques like Chen taichi. Soft and hard together. the strategy is to attack while you retreat or turn to your back.signature moves are the cloud hands and the back palm hit to the face. It includes many grabs, especially to the legs.

6.Changhuxinyimen (long protect heart will gate)
    Again this form includes the xiao hong chang quan moves plus open palm techniques that we can find in qixing quan. This two forms are connected like xiao hong and dahong. strategy=we try to attack the opponent while always protecting the body with the hands high and low. synchronized attack high and low. Its the hard version of the two styles.qixing is the softer. signature movement is the arrow punch. It uses techniques very similar to xing yi quan especially the dragon lovering palm form.

7.Qixingquan (seven star fist)
    This is the brother of Changhuxinyimen and the softer version. you use the same strategy to attack while always beeing well defended with arms high and low but here you concentrate to grab the kick of the opponent. The signature movement is moving with one leg. The **** stance. Again similarities with the xing yi style.

8.Meihuaquan (plum flower fist)
    Its said that the shaolin meihua form not the meihua symbolizes but a children monk that created this form from other chang quan shaolin forms. His master saw the children exhausted lying at the bottom like a falling down meihua blossom. Its techniques include many lying down techniques. It must be trained at meihua poles and maybe the name came from this. Shaolin meihua comes from meihua pole training. signature movement is the scissor movemnet with the legs lying down.

9.Paoquan (cannon fist)
    Here, the new techniques that we learn are to use explosive power. To hit like penetrating the opponent reaching behind him. The tactic is to use fist and explode in any direction. Upward, downward, central, low, high and others.

10.Lohanquan (arhat fist)
    This fist uses like all the others xiao hong chang quan techniques plus an imitation of an arhat at the end of some techniques.You try to express the feeling of each luohan. Signature movements are the a)sitting on one leg luohan, b)the praying luohan, c)the reciting the scripts luohan, d)the lying down in a crosslegged stance and sleeping luohan, and e)the sleeping on a pillow luohan.

thank you xian. Thats what iam meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Without intending to be disrespectful but I truly believe your question about what teaches you each form is hard to answer.
    Because its my understanding that most Shaolin "forms" are like seperate Systems.

So yes they definitly teach you something but at the same time its not like okay I learn form A, then B, then C.
    I think its more okay I learned A, in my sect or in my time this one was B, or I need this as B on my way and
    a specific C will follow.

So I would reformulate your question into" What aspects of Fighting does each specific Shaolin System teach?"
    Which becomes into a fast question and a fast answer..

Best,
    Xian
    Thanks Xian. Thats what iam meaning

Quote Originally Posted by RITTERKING1 View Post

9.Paoquan (cannon fist)
    Here, the new techniques that we learn are to use explosive power. To hit like penetrating the opponent reaching behind him. The tactic is to use fist and explode in any direction. Upward, downward, central, low, high and others.
    Which I think is well shown here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaqDdqk-0a4

Best,
    Xian

Hey Ritter,

Fantastic questions lately! These are the ones we need as a community to answer, and the ones we all want to understand more I think.

Strategy of Shaolin forms is one of the deep aspects of Shaolin Kung fu that I hope people come to understand more. It is to do with XinFa, that is , methods of the mind. In basic styles this is designed to adjust to your emotion, motivation and momentum and instinct, conscious AND unconscious intent. These things are largely outside of your control and yet they determine the outcome of a fight, and so learning to use them, or rather to move along with them is more important than using your hands a legs.

Shaolin theory treats the body as if it is an army, the eyes and ears are scouts, the legs and hands soldiers, the heart is the general etc. Then it applies the art of war to this system. In the art of war controlling morale of the army is paramount. This is by analogy the will and motivation of the body system.

I explain a bit on Xiao Hong Quan in a recent video; (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciA1j1uPek) Lots I didn't discuss as I had to keep the video as short as possible otherwise no one would watch it. It uses the classic strategies of Zheng and Qi, that is 'straight' and 'Odd' being the strategy of attacking straightaway Or using deception coupled with reaction. Alternating between these strategies is the key.

I will explain the strategy of Da Tong Bei in a new video over the next few days, currently editing but it is all filmed. It alternates between longfist (changquan) and shortstrike (Duanda) depending on the rythm of the fight.

After these I want to shoot videos of individual techniques common to many Shaolin forms, film them as they are practiced individually independent of style.

Shaolin styles are largely to give you the strategy. Without strategy we would only practice moves individually.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

You are all great.thank you all for your answers!

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Hey Ritter,

Fantastic questions lately! These are the ones we need as a community to answer, and the ones we all want to understand more I think.

Strategy of Shaolin forms is one of the deep aspects of Shaolin Kung fu that I hope people come to understand more. It is to do with XinFa, that is , methods of the mind. In basic styles this is designed to adjust to your emotion, motivation and momentum and instinct, conscious AND unconscious intent. These things are largely outside of your control and yet they determine the outcome of a fight, and so learning to use them, or rather to move along with them is more important than using your hands a legs.

Shaolin theory treats the body as if it is an army, the eyes and ears are scouts, the legs and hands soldiers, the heart is the general etc. Then it applies the art of war to this system. In the art of war controlling morale of the army is paramount. This is by analogy the will and motivation of the body system.

I explain a bit on Xiao Hong Quan in a recent video; (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RciA1j1uPek) Lots I didn't discuss as I had to keep the video as short as possible otherwise no one would watch it. It uses the classic strategies of Zheng and Qi, that is 'straight' and 'Odd' being the strategy of attacking straightaway Or using deception coupled with reaction. Alternating between these strategies is the key.

I will explain the strategy of Da Tong Bei in a new video over the next few days, currently editing but it is all filmed. It alternates between longfist (changquan) and shortstrike (Duanda) depending on the rythm of the fight.

After these I want to shoot videos of individual techniques common to many Shaolin forms, film them as they are practiced individually independent of style.

Shaolin styles are largely to give you the strategy. Without strategy we would only practice moves individually.
    You are all great.thank you all for your answers!