Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Traditional Wushu vs Cinematic Wushu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Good info.

I would point out that there are variations (some great) among southern styles. Styles like CLF, Hung Gar, Mok Gar, etc., have more kicks and/or open positions and movements than the (primarily Fujian?) systems that specialize in short-hand. That doesn't necessarily mean the more 'open/expansive' styles are more vulnerable, but they operate on different principles. I still wouldn't classify them as 'kicking styles' per se, but they are far more versatile in leg techniques than just a low front snap kick and low heel thrust. Although I have heard that Hung Gar was originally narrower and less expansive than it's often seen now.

I studied Lung Ying (Dragon) for a while in the '80s, and there was a lot of front knee and foot pointed in, elbows down and chest caved in. Even more "closed in" than the San Zhan stance appears to me. It was a good system, but it felt uncomfortable and unnatural to me, even after 18 months, so I moved on. Someone else might feel differently.
    Equally good info.

Thanks Jimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Good info.

I would point out that there are variations (some great) among southern styles. Styles like CLF, Hung Gar, Mok Gar, etc., have more kicks and/or open positions and movements than the (primarily Fujian?) systems that specialize in short-hand. That doesn't necessarily mean the more 'open/expansive' styles are more vulnerable, but they operate on different principles. I still wouldn't classify them as 'kicking styles' per se, but they are far more versatile in leg techniques than just a low front snap kick and low heel thrust. Although I have heard that Hung Gar was originally narrower and less expansive than it's often seen now.

I studied Lung Ying (Dragon) for a while in the '80s, and there was a lot of front knee and foot pointed in, elbows down and chest caved in. Even more "closed in" than the San Zhan stance appears to me. It was a good system, but it felt uncomfortable and unnatural to me, even after 18 months, so I moved on. Someone else might feel differently.
    in the tai cho san zhan we cave the chest and have the elbows down as well. I agree, trying to adjust to it sucks. I'm readjusting now, because in bak mei, the stance isn't pigeon toed. still very closed upper half, though - elbows down, caved chest.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    in the tai cho san zhan we cave the chest and have the elbows down as well. I agree, trying to adjust to it sucks. I'm readjusting now, because in bak mei, the stance isn't pigeon toed. still very closed upper half, though - elbows down, caved chest.
    u need to do the wobbly belly thing with mma ropes, then u get the souther power. it feel awkward cuz u trying to rotate ur torso.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    u need to do the wobbly belly thing with mma ropes, then u get the souther power. it feel awkward cuz u trying to rotate ur torso.
    wobbly belly?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

spine wave aka spitting power

also concave chest closes the gap in ur solar plexus, southern kung fu loves punching ther

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    spine wave aka spitting power
    https://youtu.be/MSmgkJ2wasI

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter