Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Martial Arts

yep and it's got dim mak too!

The headmaster stated in the interview I saw that a student would learn nerve pinches and the like after about 5 - 10 years depending on their ability to understand.

The style in practice resembled wushu. But he did do a nifty little "pinch" on the interviewers elbow to "demonstrate" at the request of the interviewer. Dropped the interviewer to their knees immediately. I thought to myself, "hey, now i think he's got something there" hahahaha.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Stacey Guest
    Wow, if Kalari is the Kung fu, what kung fu is to Karate, then I think we should really look into Kalari. I think kung fu has all this stuff too, but they play with live blades. I am very interested in this.

http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/tahtib.html

evidently there are lots of mid east MA's.

Don't get me started on MA history we'll be here all day.

I have studied Kalaripayit aka Vajarmushti and found it to be a very good system. I actually came across it in my pursuit of the KATAR (one of my favorite weapons) I knew of the weapon before the art then.

The "dim mak" is called marma adi. I have found two books on this. I have heard of an art the focuses soley on this called Marma shastra, i think. But haven't found much on it.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

women are the mother of all martial arts.

why else would we fight?
    where's my beer?

I really like the technique shown at the top of the page; jumping high in the air with feet in front of you and holding a fist-mounted shield where it will protect your groin.

Graceful and effective!

On the other hand, the pictures of the guys with their feet planted securely look pretty good.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Of course there are lot's of martial arts throughout the east and the mediteranean basin.

I think it had to do with the fact that civilization has been existing there since civilizations existed.
    Not to mention all the wars before the invention of firearms.
    And the Romans invaded the entire known world, followed by every other group from tartars to moors to huns.

There were pockets where arts such as Shaolin Kung Fu, Kalaripayit and various others were developed to very high levels with sound principles. These pockets enjoyed a long unbroken development deep within the territories they came from and as well many techniques and apps within these style were developed from lessons in the field. with time further adaptation brings us to the state of the arts today.

They are all a worthwhile endeavour.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I knew this art for a long time, I have a friend who has been studying indian MA for 8 years...he practices Varma Kalai and has done many studies on Kalari Payat.
    It's true that it's a fascinating art...their calisthenics and flexibilty drills are impressive
    My favourite Kalari Payat weapon is the Urumi, a sword with flexible and razor sharp blades that can bend like a whip...Urumis usually have three of the blades connected to a single handle, and you could easily decapitate someone with it...of course, it was the weapon of masters, since there were lots of occasions for self-maiming if your mastery wasn't near perfect
    But Asia, I think Kalari Payat and Vajramushti are two different styles.
    Vajramushti (also called Mallavidya) seems even more ancient than KP, it's a ancient combat technique that probably appeared in the religious context of the Brahman cast. It is an extremely violent pugilism often given during religious celebrations, with strikes aiming at the head and chest with often lethal consequences since the opponents were wielding a vajra (or kongo in japanese) in their hand ie some sort of metal rod with points at both ends or claw like protuberances.
    That said, lots of its techniques passed down to Kalari Payat and some even say gong fu (some historians trace a link from Vajramushti to Shaolin).
    Some bouts are still organized, although more sports and less dangerous, in the Gujarat.
    Last edited by Crimson Phoenix; 02-24-2002 at 07:50 AM.
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Check ou this Link

http://www.channel1.com/pankration/history/

It's an interesting theory.

9. Yeah.As far as I know,itīs quite deadly,and requires lots of flexibility.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Yeah but was it made in Korea?

Anways I like to say that thereare other kung fu styles like tien shan pai that predate shaolin and other styles outside of China also.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Mother of all Martial Arts

Hiya Chaps,
    Some would argue, and in fact there is some evidence to suggest that the Greek art of Pankration influenced the fighting arts of India, and therefore the arts of China and Japan. It has been recorded that at least some of the current Masters of some Japanese styles freely admit to this influence, Mas Oyama being one. I'm not saying that Pankration is better than the other arts it influenced but it seems to be true that it came first. In ancient times it was common practice to take Greek culture and fighting arts further afield, and this was true of Alexander the Great, who reached the borders of China before turning back to Greece. I wonder what would have happened if he did not turn back but ventured into the heartlands of China??

Cheers

Hercules.

Yea i agree. The Mother of all Martial Arts is wrasslin'. Us Westerners had it all along.

Yea i agree. The Mother of all Martial Arts is wrasslin'. Us Westerners had it all along.

National Geographic: Deadly Arts (Kalaripayattu)

Ozzies check it out! Indian Martial Arts.

started 8:30
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

Did anyone see it?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread