Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Martial Arts

Mojo Guest

Indian martial arts

I just found this site and it looks interesting. They are going to tour the U.S.
    Does anyone here practice an Indian martial art ?
    http://people.we.mediaone.net/radhac...ingevents.html

cwheelie Guest

Great Post

Had no idea this existed! Do you know where to get tour info?

de ja fu - The feeling that somewhere, somehow you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Mojo Guest
    I think you'll have to e-mail them. Their address is at the bottom of their page.

Stranger Guest
    They have a lot of info on Gatka, a Sikh Martial Art, at the Alliance Martial Art website.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Kung Lek Guest
    Kalaripayit was actually quite (very) rare until just a couple of years ago. Now there seems to be more and more information about it getting out.

Interesting to see where it goes from here.

cool

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

Kristoffer Guest
    their "grandmaster" in India is truly amazing :eek: I've seen a documentary on him and his martial art in India. scary stuff, when advanced, fighting with live, sharp weapons.

~K~
    "maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Syre Guest

More info

The training usually starts at the age of seven for both boys and girls. For most Kalari exponents, the training becomes a way of life. Besides the physical aspects, the Kalari training includes meditation and Ayurvedic oil massages. The massages are of prime importance in conditioning and making the body supple. This is done by the Gurukkal or the Master Trainer himself.

The training is imparted in four stages. First the Chuvadu or stance. This is followed by Vadivu or body postures which are eight in number: gaja (elephant), simha (lion), aswa (horse), varaha (pig), sarpa (serpent), marjjara (cat), kukkuda (rooster) and matsya (fish).

The trainee who masters the Chuvadu and Vadivu goes on to Meyppayattu (the use of the body in fighting) which aims at perfecting neuro-muscular coordination. Then begins the training with weapons. Commencing with cane weapons, the trainee graduates to using the Cheruvadi (small stick), Ottakkol (poles), Gada (mace) and Kadtaram (steel dagger), and then the most glamorous of combats - fighting with the sword and shield.

Another weapon is the Urumi, a long, springy, double edged, coiled sword which can even recoil and hurt the user if not wielded with skill. Fighting with spears is the last in the weapon training syllabus. The spears called Kuntham are long poles made of cane, bamboo or wood with a sharp double edged metal tip.

That summary comes from this site:
    http://www.keralatourism.org/news/Prev15.html

Here is a site with some video clips and other info:

http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/tnd/kalari/kalari.html

[This message was edited by Syre on 10-27-01 at 05:48 AM.]

Kristoffer Guest
    kung fu's origin... Me Like. :D
    great pages

~K~
    "maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Royal Dragon Guest

Royal Dragon says.................

This is intersting,
    I noticed they spend an unbelievable amount of time on body development PRIOR to ANY martial practice, especially stance work. This has ALWAYS been a philosiphy of mine. The other interesting thing is that they teach weapons FIRST and un armed second. This actually makes more sens from a traditional stand point as the ancient warrior was going to face weapons first, and fight empty hand ONLY if disarmed. Also, weapons build the body much faster than empty had because of added weight, so your looking at faster progression physically than doing it the other way around. Of course you modern boys would say just lift wieghts, and I agree you right about that, but weapn's training IS a progressive resistance exercise just like weight lifting is.

Personally, as soon as they get video's out, I'm buying them ALL!!! I really want to see "HOW" these guys train more so than "What" they train.

My guess, is this would be a great art to have as a foundation.

Comments anyone?

Royal Dragon

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

Stranger Guest

Sikhs, Sikhs, and more Sikhs

site #1

site #2

site #3

site #4

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

blaktiger Guest

Ay!!!!

Read the first link! They claim TaMo traveled to Shaolin to teach martial arts, instead of spreading Buddism (sp)!! :confused: :mad: :eek:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "I'll be too busy lookin' good!"

Chang Style Novice Guest
    {font=cartman}Sweeeeeeeeet!{/font}

Mother of all Martial Arts

http://amritha.freeyellow.com/

Since this is an ancient martial art, it must be a truly powerful style. Perhaps I should check into it. Looks interesting.

ahhh, Kalari payit.

World's oldest codified systematized martial art still in existance (don't get me started on the wall paintings found in abydos during the earely 90's). Still practiced in parts of western and northern India, Kalari Payit predates even the Shaolin Martial Arts by more than 1000 years.

The first time i ever heard of the art was was in a travelogue and there was mention of a school and a short chat with the headmaster of this school. Pretty cool stuff, pretty rare and definitely not a prominently practiced art. Still quite rare.

There was a time, not so long ago that one would never have heard of this ancient martial arts system. What wonders the internet brings with it's ability to communicate the far flung and obscure.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ancient and powerful, apparently.