Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Martial Arts

watch the first clip, they use locks and stuff like triangle (almost) and some sort of armbar

And I was all ready to move this thread...

...until y'all brought up the Lion's Roar connect. I guess it can stay here.

Check out our Bollywood Kung Fu thread on the media forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...until y'all brought up the Lion's Roar connect. I guess it can stay here.

Check out our Bollywood Kung Fu thread on the media forum.
    hah! victory over the "man"

let the nacho sauce flow freely
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    anyone know the training program for the crocodile walk push ups?... taking hydraulic Lowriders to that next level

I decided to move this thread after all

Somehow, this didn't fit on the Bollywood thread...

5000 yr old Indian martial art
    Puducherry, March 08: An ancient martial art form of southern India is drawing scores of foreign visitors, eager to learn the art of stick fighting to picturesque Puducherry.

`Silambattam`, one of the oldest traditional martial arts of Tamil Nadu, has become increasingly popular with tourists as they take up the art form, learning and mastering its intricate movements and techniques.

Jyothis Senthil Kannan, a master of Silambattam, who has been teaching the art for over 10-years and also runs a martial arts school in the scenic town of Puducherry, says that Silambattam is attracting more and more students over the years as people come to know about it.

"Silambattam is quite well known now. People come regularly. I`m teaching in my village where I started the International Silambattam and Kuttuwari (ISK) Federation Gurukulam. People stay here and learn this art as we learnt in ancient times," he said.

The Gurukulam, tucked away in thick foliage, has foreign students learning the art form by twirling sticks in the air as they practice various techniques in an open courtyard of the school.

Shane Paul, a European tourist, said he was drawn to learn Silambattam because of its holistic approach.

"Before I was researching some martial arts in the north but then when I came here I became interested in Silambattam; it looks quite interesting to me, like a base of all the martial arts I`ve seen before. You don`t have to use much energy to get good results, you don`t have to put much effort and it works," he said.

Silambattam, which is based on stick fighting, is mainly used for self-defence and developing physique.

Beginners are first taught footwork patterns and then go on to the spinning techniques of the stick.

Keynne, another foreign student, said: "I started to learn about the history of Silambattam and some of the different techniques but I`ve only been a student for a few years, which means I`m a very bad student because I don`t practice and I don`t get to practice in Singapore but when I come here I get to practice a little bit."

The art form, a traditional Dravidian martial art based on fighting with sticks dates back 5000 years when the stick was the primary tool to defend oneself.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I do believe that the fight quest guys are going to India to train in Karalsuivgutgruyvgreuitgyucuigyrtvu, or whatever it's called.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Cheibi

I'd love to see some of this. It's a new one on me.
    Manipur trying to revive traditional martial arts
    October 20th, 2008 - 7:47 pm ICT by ANI -
    By L.C.K.Singh

Imphal, Oct 20 (ANI): Indigenous games and martial art forms are an integral part of Manipurs culture that is well known through out the northeastern region. Some of the oldest art forms are still popular. Among them is Cheibi, an ancient martial art.

Recently, the All Manipur Cheibi Association of Manipur organized the 9th State Level Cheibi Championship 2008 at the Khuman Lampak Main indoor stadium of Imphal.

The championship, which was organized to further popularize and promote the martial art, had about 180 participants from 21 clubs of Manipur.

Cheiba is one of Manipurs ancient martial art forms. Earlier, it used to be practiced with a sword and a shield, which has now been replaced by a stick encased in soft leather and a shield made of leather. The contestants duel and the one who scores the maximum points is declared the winner.

Cheibi is a game that we look up to in Manipur. There is a lot of discipline involved in the game. It has now been organized at the national level and I believe that once it reaches the international level, Cheibi will take Manipur forward, said Kamalkumar Singh, a Cheibi player of Manipur.

Daina Devi, another Cheibi player, said, Cheibi is an indigenous game that was played by our forefathers. We play it as we like it and playing the game that our forefathers played motivates us. So we are participating in the Cheibi competition.

The popularity of Cheibi got a boost when the All Manipur Cheibi Association was founded in 1998. The association will now be organizing the first national level Cheibi competition in December. The event will witness the participation of contestants from all over the country.

Manipuris believe that promoting Cheibi will not only give a boost to the martial art but also help in keeping the legacy of their forefathers alive. (ANI)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gatka

Love the pic. Click the link to see.

Martial arts with a cutting edge
    Published Date: 08 November 2008

STUDENTS were treated to a spectacular sword-dancing display.

The Baba Deep Singh Gatka Group performed a traditional Sikh gatka at South Tyneside College's Hebburn campus as part of a celebration of diversity.

It was the first time the Birmingham-based group had performed the gatka in North East England.

Gatka is an ancient martial art which originated in northern India, and was used by the Sikhs of Punjab to defend themselves against Moghul oppression during the time of the sixth Sikh guru.

Event organiser David Hunter, equality and diversity manager at the college, said: "We were all extremely excited about the gatka, and, as far as we are aware, this was the very first time it has been staged in the region.

"As well as being very visual, the performance was really thought-provoking.

"We felt that it was an ideal way to celebrate the rich cultural diversity we have here at the college."

Gurdev Singh Bal, regional officer of the national council of faiths and beliefs in further education, said: "We are proud to work with South Tyneside College to develop multi-faith projects that inform students and staff of different faiths and cultures."

"The college is working very hard to ensure all staff and students are treated with respect, and these projects helped them to find out more about what it means to be a Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim or Sikh in South Tyneside."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On a side note, Sifu Paul Whitrod of the Chow Gar Southern Mantis has said that in his training of Indian MA, he has "unlocked" some stuff in his SPM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

wish this had some pics

This sounds like a researcher's dream for Indian MA.
    Fusion of martial arts and dance at Kalinga festival
    Kalinga (Orissa), Tue, 13 Jan 2009 ANI

Kalinga (Orissa), Jan 13 (ANI): Artists presented a rare fusion of marital arts and classical dance at the Kalinga festival in Bhubaneswar.

Dance troupes showcased different martial dance forms during the two-day festival that concluded on Sunday.

The Kalinga festival, dedicated to the traditional Indian martial art forms, is organised annually by the Orissa Government in collaboration with Art Vision, as a medium to bring together the traditional martial art forms of India under one roof.

The festival, currently in its seventh year, was held at the footsteps of the Dhauli stupa, a Japanese Buddhist Temple located on the outskirts of Bhubaneshwar.

"I saw that to have a festival like this would encourage the growth and improvement and also the recognition of this form. Moreover, the Tourism Department wanted to do something here which was not yet utilized as a space for tourist attraction," said Ileana Citaristi, Secretary, Art Vision.

The statue of Lord Buddha provided a background to festival spinning around the theme of "War to Peace," as it began with the outburst of movements and sounds, which accompany the performance of martial artists.

Every year, the festival opens with a modern choreography based on martial art and then showcases traditional martial dance forms from different parts of the country.

"We have so many brilliant traditional martial art forms such as Kalarikantha and Jhao. I think it is great that there is an attempt to bring it together for people who may or may not know much about dance and about movement arts," said Diya, one of the performers.

The martial dances are an amalgamation of various martial art postures, which are blended in graceful dance forms.

Performing to the beats of music with their swords, spears and shields, they enthrall audiences with their rhythm and precision of movement.

Martial art forms are developed and practiced in India since ancient times.his festival is a unique outlet and a great medium to create awareness about different martial art forms amongst the masses.

The festival which spins around the theme of "War to Peace," has an apt venue as it was at the Dhauli hills that the legendary Indian Emperor Ashoka the Great fought his last and most gruesome war before forsaking the battleground forever, converting to Buddhism and turning into an apostle of peace.

Orissa has come to be associated with one of India's major centres for performing traditional dances.

It also holds some of the biggest festivals of classical Indian dances like the Konark Dance Festival and the Puri Beach Festival, which are big tourist draws. By Sarda Lahangir (ANI)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

not sure what art this is...

...but kudos for the girls and extra points for the spelling.
    Martial arts ring in Ram Navami
    ANTARA BOSE
    Ram Navami flags put on sale at Sakchi market in Jamshedpur. Picture by Bhola Prasad

Jamshedpur, April 2: This year at Ram Navami, the girls of Pardesi Para in Sonari were not dressed in their best outfits. Colourful frocks and salwar suits gave way to warrior attire, with swords and bamboos completing the look.

Thinking out of the box. That is what girls of the Sonari locality did and came up with the idea to exhibit their martial arts skills this Ram Navami.

For the first time, girls aged between eight to 14 years took the trouble of learning the art to combat from professionals at the Lalan Akhara in Sonari to complete the tradition at the festival.

Every year, Paona Memorial Arts and rural Development Services (Apmards), a martial arts troupe from Thoubal district of Manipur, come to display acts of valour and bravery during Ram Navami festival. But this time, they could not make it.

The girls were dispirited when they learnt that the group could not display their acts this time. Thus they decided to get themselves trained in sword, spear fights and wrestling for a fortnight to perform this year, said Sabtu Sona, the trainer of the girls.

The group of 16 girls thus practised day in and day out to put up the show.

If others can do it, why wont we? Girls get few chances like this and we wanted to do complete justice to it. So we practised for hours after coming back from school. We got seven acts to display, said Pratibha Sagar, an 11-year-old in the group.

They practised as if there is no word called exhaustion in their books.

We had 15 days time and we knew we had to put our best foot forward, said Neha Sona, another girl of the group.

They showed dedication like no other person. They might not be as fast as the professionals but they will gradually pick up, said a professional at Lalan Akhara.

Even the organisers were happy with the involvement of neighbourhood girls in the festival. That is why, though the boys wanted to put up the act they organisers chose the girls to perform the martial arts.

There are about 50 akharas in the city and boys get the chance to perform through them every year. I wanted to make it special for the girls who wanted to perform. Seeing their dedication, I think we should continue this in years to come, said Banna Singh Janghel, one of the organiser of the festival.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    India's getting into MMA:

http://www.tigersgym.com/index1.html
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Thang-Ta

I wish it said a little more about what Thang-Ta is exactly.
    Guru G. Gourakishor, the master of Manipuri martial art form
    Apr 24th, 2009 | By Sindh Today

Imphal, April 24 (ANI): Guru G. Gourakishor Sharma was recently conferred the coveted Padamshree award for 2008-2009 to honour his lifetime contribution to Manipuri Martial Art, Thang-Ta.

Born into a family having a long tradition of martial arts, the Manipuri martial art, “Thang-Ta” came naturally to Gourakishor, who since childhood developed deep interest in this art form.

Trained under the shadow of his father Late Gurumayum Sanajaoba Sharma and various eminent Manipuri gurus, Gourakishor has participated in various festivals and tournaments.

Gourakishor has dedicated his life to the propagation of the art form, and started a school –‘The Huyen Lallong Manipur Thang-Ta Cultural Association’ in the vicinity of his home at Keirao in Imphal in 1958.

Gourakishor has established the institute as a leading center for promoting Manipuri art and culture.

The Padma award is a recognition for his tireless efforts to preserve Thang-Ta.

“I’m very happy to receive this award. The art of Thang-Ta in Manipur has been on the verge of extinction but today with the acknowledgement of the Government in the form of this award, the art will be saved and revived. This is the only reason that I’m so happy,” said G.Gourakishor Sharma, Padamshree awardee.

Gourakishor efforts have been recognized at various levels and honours have come to him regularly.

The late Maharaj of Manipur, Shri Bodhachandra Singh, awarded him a Gold Medal. Manipuri Sahitya Parishad gave him the title of ‘Kala Ratna’ in 1985 for his outstanding contribution to the field of “Thang-Ta”.

He is also the first person to receive the prestigious Sangeet Natak Academy award in 1983.

Gourakishor is associated with cultural Organization of Manipur like Manipur State Kala Akademi, Department of Art and Culture, Government of Manipur and Jawaharlal Nehru Manipur Dance Academy. He has also he taught “Thang-Ta” in various institutes in the state.

His efforts have provided an opportunity for the youth of the state to contribute to the art form. Gourakishor many students have taken part in festivals in India and abroad as well.

“My father has built a platform for us to move ahead with regards to this art form. Through his achievement, the younger generation can benefit a lot. Thereafter, they can take Thang-Ta to an International level,” said G. Bisheshor Sharma, Gourakishor’s son.

“I’m so happy for my father as he has bagged a prestigious award. It’s a joyous occasion for all of us,” said G. Lakshana, daughter.

Guru Gourakishor has published books on the indigenous tribes of Manipur like the Aimol, Maring and Chiru and also written scripts for plays such as Govinda Nirupan, Chahi Taret Khuntakpa (Seven years of Devastation) and Haokhong Shimaikhu.

His achievement in preserving the rich culture and tradition of the state sets an example in the Manipuri society worthy of emulation. (ANI)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kalarippayattu

What's the point of moving like Shah Rukh Khan with out Preity or Kareena?
    New dose of good ol martial arts
    - Kalarippayattu classes to get out-of-shape cadets fighting fit

POULOMI BANERJEE

Want to be a cop? First learn to move like Shah Rukh Khan in Dil Se or Asoka but without Preity or Kareena for company.

Bend your body from the waist. Join your hands in front of your face. Keep the legs parallel. Your upper body should resemble a table top, instructed Sariful Islam Mallick. His wards a few of them huffing and puffing to strike the basic gaja vadibu pose at this special Kalarippayattu class were half-a-dozen cadets at the Police Training Centre (PTC) in Barrackpore.

Kalarippayattu, a form of ancient martial arts from Kerala, is now the chosen technique to keep our cadets physically fit and mentally agile.

That, for some, is easier said than done. Many of the cadets are overweight and physically inefficient. They are having some trouble coping with Kalarippayattu. A few though are showing an affinity for it, said Mallick, the 27-year-old Calcuttan who has spent years picking up the art from masters in Kerala.

This is the first time that an indigenous martial arts form has been included in the curriculum of the PTC in Bengal, said Sanjay Singh, the special IG in charge of the centre. The decision to include Kalarippayattu in the syllabus is in keeping with the new methodology of cop training.

All over the world training academies are adopting a new concept of workout which is called plyometrics. Our study showed that Kalarippayattu closely follows the tenets of plyometrics, which is why we decided to include it in the curriculum, explained Singh.

I was approached by the authorities last September and after giving a presentation at the academy in November, I started taking classes from January, said Mallick.

Getting the cops in shape and improving their physical and mental strength is the focus of the Kalarippayattu course. It helps stability and body balance, improves body-mind coordination, increases stamina and strength and also helps release stress, said the tutor at the training centre.

Based on the tenets of plyometrics, Kalarippayattu is a movement-based aerobic exercise and burns fat by increasing body metabolism. It involves a lot of jumps, leg kicks, punches and animal movements. I am not teaching them the use of weapons like swords, Mallick said.

Classes are held at the centre for 90 minutes, Monday through Thursday. It is a compulsory subject for the entire duration of the course, said Singh. And at least the fitter among the force do not seem to mind the new grind.

Its a good self-defence technique. We dont always have arms with us, said Kuntal Banerjee, 28. Colleagues Dendup Sherpa and Mir Shakir Ali added that Kalarippayattu improves fitness and helps release stress.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I wish it said a little more about what Thang-Ta is exactly.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See:http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Martial-Folk-D