Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, i figured out how to get kicked out of a kung fu school...

So, i figured out how to get kicked out of a kung fu school...

As many of you know, I have a traditional background, but spent several years training judo and muay thai, which I still train currently, however last year I returned to TMA and began training in ngo cho. I am a question asker - I can't help it, it's just me. I trained regularly, both on my own and in class. I have only missed three classes in the past year, two of those were due to work.

I was shown a form and both the instructor and I were curious of the origin, so I began to look into it. During my journey, I ran across one of the five disciples of my grandmaster. he is a very open guy and once he realized I trained in his style, he became an open book and encouraged me to ask questions. So I did. I took the questions back to my instructor, who had me ask the disciple questions of his own. between my questions to the disciple and my questions to the instructor, he finally told me that he was kicking me out of the school because he thinks that I am questioning the authenticity of what he teaches and that I am improperly influencing his other student. He did agree to let me stay to continue the forms I was working on - we had sessions focusing on those so I could learn them more quickly - and now I am gone. Ironically, his other student that I was supposedly a bad influence on has now left as well.

Anyway, I found an impressive instructor who teaches bak mei and have now begun training with him. He has already encouraged me to ask questions, so it's all good so far.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Haha, asking questions got you kicked out of one school, but got you into another one.

What made him think you questioned his authenticity, and why was it that big a deal to him?

LOL !
    I don't know what is worse, getting kicked out for asking questions are being allowed to stay so he can collect membership fees !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

One door closes and another door opens.

good job?

I never ask questions for other people. Other people can ask their own questions.

Maybe you were set up.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wat question did u ask

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Haha, asking questions got you kicked out of one school, but got you into another one.

What made him think you questioned his authenticity, and why was it that big a deal to him?
    I think the straw that broke the camels back was that the disciples didn't have belt ranks, however, the grandmaster DID have a belt rank system for other students - they were the "money" students, and were separate from the closed door students. one of the forms - the one we were researching, the disciple had never seen before. It was said that the grandmaster would sometimes tailor things to his belt rank students so that they could better understand principles, build attributes needed, etc - basically he made supplementary forms to help the students progress. such forms and exercises, he told the disciples not to worry about learning because it wasn't intended for them. I asked if (since we had a ranking system) it was possible that the form we were searching was a supplementary form. From there, I think he assumed that since we had belt ranks and I asked that question that I had doubts about whether or not we were learning the real curriculum or something that was created for the belt rank students, not necessarily the entire system. That really was not my intent, but I think that's how he took it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

lol belts lol made up forms

lol u thinking its still possible he wasnt scamming u

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I asked if (since we had a ranking system) it was possible that the form we were searching was a supplementary form. From there, I think he assumed that since we had belt ranks and I asked that question that I had doubts about whether or not we were learning the real curriculum or something that was created for the belt rank students, not necessarily the entire system.
    Whether it was your intention or not, it sounds like you hit upon the truth. And the teacher’s over-reaction, kicking you out, makes it sound even more plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I never ask questions for other people. Other people can ask their own questions.
    Sounds like good advice, thanks. Questions really can be touchy; it's bad enough with one's own.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    It was said that the grandmaster would sometimes tailor things to his belt rank students so that they could better understand principles, build attributes needed, etc - basically he made supplementary forms to help the students progress. such forms and exercises, he told the disciples not to worry about learning because it wasn't intended for them.
    Not how I do things, but I could understand.

Often, the "money" students want/need an external measure of their progress to quantify/justify what they are paying for.

They don't want to do some fundamental skill 10,000 times while paying for the priviledge to get yelled at because they are doing it wrong. Especially when they think they already know how to do it.

The teacher isn't necessarily inventing bs to scam them. He may be packaging stuff in a way to make it easy for "customers" to measure progress superficially.

Often, the "money" students want/need an external measure of their progress to quantify/justify what they are paying for.

They don't want to do some fundamental skill 10,000 times while paying for the priviledge to get yelled at because they are doing it wrong. Especially when they think they already know how to do it.

The teacher isn't necessarily inventing bs to scam them. He may be packaging stuff in a way to make it easy for "customers" to measure progress superficially.
    the million dollar question is why sevenstar was seen as a money student

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    lol belts lol made up forms

lol u thinking its still possible he wasnt scamming u
    he wasn't. his teacher is quite well known. so is the grandmaster. and the disciple I was talking to verified other forms I was learning through our conversations. no scam. the teacher is a legit instructor of this style.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the million dollar question is why sevenstar was seen as a money student

my teacher has no disciples, nor does his teacher. the grandmaster had 5. he also had money students, who had a belt system. so, several of the branches today have a belt system, I assume.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Exactly. I don't think he scammed money students. I think he just made something convenient for them. they know all of the same core forms and principles, but seems they also had other things that helped them, and possibly encouraged them, like a rank system.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter