Thread: Wooden Dummy in the home?

Wooden Dummy in the home?

Hi everybody. My teenage son has been practising wing chun for 12 months and is progressing nicely through the belts. I have been supporting him 100% as I feel it is an excellent activity for the purposes of instilling the discipline and ethos that will stand him in good stead for the future. However, he has recently been looking at a wing chun wooden dummy for sale online and has set his heart on having one in our home. As much as I support him following his passion, I think this is a bit much. Ultimately, I don't feel there is enough space in our home for such a piece of apparatus and even if there were, I feel that it is not the place to have one, period. The house is a home, not a dojo. And my son should be concentrating on his studies after school when not at a training session. And for purely selfish reasons, the last thing I want to have to live with is the sound of somebody beating up on a wooden dummy while I am trying to watch sport on TV. Why am I sharing this? I guess I am feeling a bit guilty about my ruling on the matter and just wanted to see what others thought on the matter. Am I being fair?

Last edited by YeeYah; 10-26-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Discipline and ethos come from the home, not the school, whether kf or academic. And I wonder how much demand a school that sells multiple belts in a year really puts on a student.

You actually can use the WC dummy situation to your advantage as far as discipline. Training just at the school is recreation. If he's obsessed and wants to train even more, teach him what it takes to push himself to get what he wants.

You can help him get the dummy, but make him earn it through his academic efforts and achievements.

Allow him to train at home only after you are satisfied with his academic responsibilities for the day.

Remind him every day that this is what it takes for him to achieve anything that he really wants. Have him organize his time and responsibilities so he can train regularly at home. Don't let the WC dummy be a passing fad.

It won't be the sound of a wooden dummy. It will be the sound of a dad teaching his son to be a real man.

And get a pair of bluetooth headphones for the tv.

You won't have to hear the wooden dummy, and your wife won't have to hear football or action movies.

The sacrifices us dads make for our families...

Then have him write his college application essays on how a wooden dummy taught him the meaning of grit, determination, and academic effort.

Bonus points if he writes about how he was so moved that he spent time sharing those lessons with students less fortunate than him.

Extra bonus points for drawing analogies between kf, academics, and helping others become stronger.

All valid opinions guys. I appreciate you taking the time pen your thoughts on this. It's pushed me to look at it from a different point of view. I think I'll give it some more thought before I make a final decision.

Hi YeeYah.

Nice to have you here.

Billy

Wooden dummy - a compromise

To a Wing Chun enthusiast - the Wooden Dummy is highly desired. To be without one is like learning baseball without a bat!

How about compromising with a half-wooden dummy, Euros 179 , which is cheaper than a full dummy
    Name:  WOODEN-DUMMY--BASIC-BLEED.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  69.9 KB

http://www.di-survival.com/basic.htm

Then if noise is an issue, why not agree to it's use on only a specified half day per week.

They are good for transforming all that latent aggression and frustration!

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

Greetings and welcome to the forum YeeYah

The following would make an exciting challenge for your son or a very nice father and son activity. The cost os low and the plan appears to be open for modifications. It cold be small step towards getting the real things some years from now, if your son is still interested. Here is part one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0DQXFFKwj0

mickey