Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One form to rule them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    What on earth is a snail centaur?
    like their torso attached to snail legs. tense arms flailing around and legs shuffle with energy of homeless guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    None.

I would simply abandon all.

However if I had a gun to my head and had to pick I would likely choose Chen old frame with personal adjustments. Strong , solid techniques, inherent adaptability, and I like longfist.
    bery good u converted to mighty chen style

r u doing the wobbly wobbbly
    Last edited by bawang; 01-01-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Gong Fu is the unity of knowledge and action.

In the normal mode of experience we think of something and dictate to our body to perform the action desired.

In the extreme mode of experience our body dictates what we should think. It overpowers us with involuntary action and emotion.

But in the profound mode of experience both are in perfect harmony. Gong fu.

This is true of all ritual. An action performed such that it is neither dictated nor resisted by mind or body. From this mode of experience inspirations will arise in the mind and new abilities will arise in the body. (in-spire; lit. to 'breath in' but also to be 'breathed into' from without)

Your body doesn't understand words or principles, it understands action and stillness. This is the way the body reads and learns. Forms are the books and classics of the body. It is strong to limit yourself to one topic, but don't limit yourself to one book. It is a mistake to become too familiar with a form lest you lose engagement of the mind, and similarly being too inexperienced with a form will put too much pressure on the body. To keep both mind and body in a state of harmony, movement must be equal parts known and unknown, expected and unexpected, potential and actual, fixed and changeable.

But how? Do the movements as though you are genuinely creatively reacting to your opponent, not as though they are some sequence of a dance, something already written. Though the pattern IS set, it is recreated not repeated each time it is performed. For this it is essential that the symbol, that is, the form mimics the action. That is to say the movement looks the same in form as in application. This is not to say that the principle of a technique cannot be extended to take on new purpose, of course it can and should, but it has been recorded as it is because that is a concrete example of how it may be used.

There is no need to train form to become a fighter. When we fight the action itself is overwhelmed by its intense purpose. To train form alone is to perform action for its own sake and is in itself a wonderful practice albeit an inherently mysterious one. It is mysterious because it is done for no specific purpose, by having no expected purpose many un-foreseen results will arise as if from nothing.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like their torso attached to snail legs. tense arms flailing around and legs shuffle with energy of homeless guy.

bery good u converted to mighty chen style

r u doing the wobbly wobbbly
    Herr ya broh! I hurt my back pretty bad in early 2016 by injuring my spine so it's been a slow climb but I feel like the wobbles helps keep my spine strong. Instead of doing the pt I went to my Chen instead and I've been pleased with my results. I'm looking for someone to study under now. I started learning taijiquan from Gregory Fong Sifu RIP, so my standards are high and my schedule is jacked up so I'm just doing my own thing for the time being...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The Gong zi fu hu chuan,there are a lot of basic nuts and bolts kind of techniques . If you really pick it apart there is a lot to be learned from it, and training in it is good exercise anyway .
    First smooth,then fast.
    Smooth is fast.

All the forms in the Tai tzu are designed to be practiced back to back without stopping. I would just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    The first step in learning the true martial arts happens when you get punched in the face with a hardness you've never felt before.
    Then, the work starts on figuring out how to achieve that. lol
    It's the first time you block a trained fighter who's trying to knock you the F out. It's a surreal moment of "holy crap, this is happening".

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It's the first time you block a trained fighter who's trying to knock you the F out. It's a surreal moment of "holy crap, this is happening".
    Uh...shouldn't you be a trained fighter too?

lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Uh...shouldn't you be a trained fighter too?

lol.
    If this is your reply, then you've obviously never been there!

Ooohhhh Burn!