Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One form to rule them all...

One form to rule them all...

If you could only work one form for the rest of eternity, which one would it be and why?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

1 Single whip posture in tai ji fist.
    Both arms extended with a horse riding stance. Fully open stance.

2 Liang Yi Ding in Ba Ji.

Both elbows extended with a horse riding stance.

3 Green Dragon extending claws in Ba Gua.
    The waist is rotated.

4 Low kick stance in Tan Tui.
    Most important stance

5 Double Hook hands in Tang Lang.
    Two hands against one arm.

etc etc.

They are the corner stone stances in each style.

Every thing else may derive from these basic stances.

Greetings SevenStar,

I do not think there is any form that teaches exactly what "now" is.

The only form that comes close involves the words "point and squeeze the trigger" at the beginning stages of instruction.

mickey

What you need is to know the start point and the end point.

And understanding every thing in between.

How to start and arrive at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings SevenStar,

I do not think there is any form that teaches exactly what "now" is.

The only form that comes close involves the words "point and squeeze the trigger" at the beginning stages of instruction.

mickey
    I'm not saying that's the only thing you train - I'm saying if that was the only form. spar, drill, firearms, etc - fine. but for the forms portion of your training, if you only kept one form, which one.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

the question is moot because every kung fu style basically has one main form.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the question is moot because every kung fu style basically has one main form.
    that's part of why I am asking. I am expecting certain forms - jik bo, san zhan, tan tui, sanchin, etc.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Greetings,

I would pick a good Shaolin 12 line Tan Tui.

Why?

1- In many ways it is a dictionary of martial movement. It encompasses striking, grappling and throwing.

2- Offers great conditioning.

3- Continued practice and study unveils new understandings via body mechanics and via martial applications.

4- Unlike what some people say, given the aforementioned, it is never boring. It can be quite a task, but never boring.

mickey

Iron wire, simply because it can be done in different ways to elicit different responses.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    I have created a new form called "长拳摘要 Long Fist Summary". It combines all the forms that I have learned into a 84 moves form.

Why?

I have read books all my life. It's time to write my own books.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-08-2016 at 09:14 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I am definitely buying John's books !

Offhand, I can't think of any single CLF form I would pick as my one and only. I personally practice far fewer forms than most CLF people do, and fewer than I've learned. But I don't see any one as 'having it all'.

Much of my 'form/movement' practice involves various short (2 to 4 movement) CLF combinations with footwork. Some are practical combos I've taken from sets and others I've combined myself from my own experience. These are pre-set combos with important basic elements of attack/defense, strike, kick, trap/sweep, throw, etc. Then I also practice free-form/freestyling, combining and recombining these movements in different ways in a fluid, workable manner without much thought. This is not for show, but to bypass the logical, thinking mind. These are not things I would ever teach or 'pass down', as the choices would be different for every person.

There are lots of kung fu practitioners who train their forms and applications, but if you never learn to freestyle with it, there will always be a big divide; it will never become natural for you or become your own. It also most likely won't come out during sparring or in real life.

Just my 2 cents, nothing more.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-08-2016 at 09:57 AM.

pick one form is like asking to eat only one food. there is no one food that you can only eat and not gradually die from malnutrition. it is a broken question.

forms dont have combat basics anyways so to treat them seriously is itself a grave danger. i can make up a great looking "authentic traditional" form out of my ass right now under 5 min, and i can tell some naive kung fu nerd to practice it 100 times a day.
    Last edited by bawang; 11-08-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Most forms (with the exception of sets focusing mostly on kung/gong development) are stylized representations of fighting movements strung together in sequences. The movements and postures are stylistically idealized, if that makes any sense. They develop another type of body-mind discipline, but in themselves cannot teach one how to fight, although they can supplement attributes such as certain types of body awareness, coordination, balance, agility, etc. BUT, there are movements/short combinations that can be taken out of a form and adapted for fighting, as long as you know what you're doing. The key word is "adapted". The adapted movements will not necessarily 'look' exactly like they do in the form.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Iron thread.

It's good for your body.
    Kung Fu is good for you.