Thread: Accident Man

Accident Man

Scott Adkins + Ray Park. FTW!

‘Doctor Strange’ Actor Scott Adkins Heads To ‘Accident Man’
    by Diana Lodderhose
    November 17, 2016 6:15am

Scott Adkins, who was recently seen in Doctor Strange, has joined the cast of Accident Man, an action title based on a character from the graphic novel by Pat Mills and Tony Skinner from the defunct monthly UK comic Toxic!.

He joins Ray Stevenson, Ashley Greene, David Paymer, Amy Johnston, Ray Park and Michael Jai White in the film, which is directed by Jesse Johnson and set to go into production this month in the UK.

Stu Small pens the script with Adkins which follows the story of hitman Mike Fallon, who is known for making assassinations look like unfortunate accidents. His cavalier attitude changes the day his ex-girlfriend, Beth, is murdered by his own crew.

Filming will take place in London and is being produced by Craig Baumgarten, Erik Kritzer of Link Entertainment, Adkins and Ben Jacques.

Adkins and White are repped by Link and Gersh, Green is repped by CAA and McKeon-Myones. Adkins also is repped by UK’s BWH Agency and attorney Patrick Knapp at Bloom Hergott Diemer.

Stevenson is repped by ICM and Independent Talent Group, Paymer is repped by Link and APA, Johnston is repped by Link, and Park is repped by Priluck Company.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

Over the last two nights, I finally watched this and its sequel Accident Man: Hitman's Holiday.

Loved them both.

Accident Man

This is a Scott Adkins vehicle based on some Brit comic book I think. It’s like a UK poor man’s John Wick. Instead of the posh continental, the assassins group at a pub and instead of classy international hitpeople in tailored suits, it’s more common blokes in casual wear.

Adkins is a leather clad biker assassin who makes his hits look like accidents. This is his creation story and a pivotal moment when his squad must hunt him down. It has its tongue planted firmly in cheek in that crass Brit way - plenty of f bombs, dry black humor, and brit sass. It’s got bollocks. Sanguineous. And a sword fight. Yay.

It has a caricature comic book style with cartoonish characters and narration by Adkins. He stacks the deck with some top notch fighters: Michael Jai White (who I hardly recognized), Amy Johnston (in a meaty role for her), Roger Yuan (sorely underused) and our buddy Ray Park (in a fun role for him). When this crew mixes it up with Scott, there’s some fine high kicking choreo.

I enjoyed the sense of humor and the solid fight scenes. It vacillates between expanding pools of blood and kinetic combat with over a dozen moves per single shot - filmed with good shaky cam - swirling cinematography that accentuates the action instead of obscuring it. The fight pieces are the centerpieces.

It’s a good role for Adkins, who is a machine when it comes to turning out good fight scenes - he’s so productive that I’m way behind on his work. It’s solid B films, a cut above grindhouse and his choreo is always superb ultravi with skilled stunt people.

Accident Man: Hitman's Holiday

A true sequel. This picks up shortly after the previous film and our antihero is back in the biz, but relocated to scenic Malta. By chance, he runs into his old accomplice Finicky Fred and they team up for more hits. They build a Q-like lab to test out their latest assassination devices but then circumstance place Fallon (Adkins) in the awkward position of protecting a spoiled brat kid of a crime boss. Then Fallon has to fight off other assassins, and one is a mad clown with a hammer that has a cinder block for a head. Yeah, more over the top ultravi.

The choreo and choreo cinematography is on point. With even less of a plot. It’s all action and Adkins fights duel after duel with other assassins. It’s just enough threadbare plot to hold together tremendous fight scenes, which is all we ask of this franchise now.

Adkins was born to play Mike Fallon. It’s a perfect fit (mind you - I never read the comic. Adkins’ martial skill along with his comic timing are on point.

As an aside, he hires a female martial arts champ to be like Kato and surprise attack him to keep his edge. Siu-Lin is played by Sarah Chang, a former wushu champ, one of our very own. I would not have recognized her because it’s been years, but she was on the US team several times and I heard she got into stunt work. This film showcases her well. I hope there's a threequel and she is included on the crew. I’ll add that Adkins pulls off the male v female fights really well. Equal rights fights.

If you like the first one, you’ll enjoy the sequel. It’s more heightened ultravi - impressive in its unapologetic unabashed gratuitous violence.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips