Thread: Novice Wing Chun Instructors Ignorance

Novice Wing Chun Instructors Ignorance

I am just shocked and dismayed after watching this video by some guy purporting to be a Wing Chun Instructor - his ignorance and disrespect is astounding.
    He is reviewing an early book by GM William Cheung (Kung Fu Dragon Pole) and I have no problem with a fair criticism of 'Old School' style teaching but his other comments and the fact that he is an 'instructor' show how far standards must have dropped in some areas. He says:

- GM Cheung as 'being late to the game'
    - Emin Boztepe is Italian

https://youtu.be/awgf0G2dk-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awgf0G2dk-Q

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

It's probably more common that we will see novice instructors disconnected from history.

We are in a time where there isn't war everywhere so people are flocking to sportive activities with sportive competitions. MMA and BJJ schools are popping up everywhere with even more novice instructor problems, as they don't even value connecting with history. I saw a TV ad for one recently - a Greg Jackson affiliate with two instructors - one a business man and the other an amateur MMA figther at a gym I spar at who just needs a lot of work. Neither has any business as an instructor.

I ask myself why a lot.

We have an art that has great value for close quarter fighting, for control of time, space, and energy, and can provide tremendous value even in sportive events, but people are more interested in playing touch-butt in a strip mall with amateurs. And yes, I did steal that phrase from Nick Diaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    It's probably more common that we will see novice instructors disconnected from history. ...
    Yeah, as the Grandmasters leave us I think standards will drop. Luckily, they have left some good students, and with the internet there is an authentic record of teachings if we are willing to dig around long enough. It's more difficult for fake instructors to con students nowadays.

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Tong Chuang View Post
    It's more difficult for fake instructors to con students nowadays.
    I would disagree with this view.
    It is easier to produce false documents to support someones credentials.
    It is also true that some high level people are not known to many outside of a small circle.

While it is true that people can research a lineage using the internet, it is also true that some of the best masters may not be known on the internet.

I once knew a JJ instructor who I showed some Wing Chun to. Within a few months he was teaching Wing Chun under a well known WC Sifu.
    IMHO he was not qualified but his previous JJ background went a ways to giving him credibility. Of course there are also some instructors who sell instructor certifications to make money and grow their organization. Without naming names I am sure there are several on this forum who can think of examples of those who may sell credentials.

My point is that sometimes being Well Known is not the same as Well Skilled.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space