Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about PHONY KUNG FU

Let's talk about PHONY KUNG FU

In brazil,we have THOUSANDS of phony masters of all kinds martial arts and,like always,kung fu is the worst victim of this.

For example,we have this huge "McDojo" enterprise that says they teach "ancient oriental knowledge from 5000 thousand years" that originated from argentina called PAKUA (no,they don't teach baguazhang).others would the TSKF kung fu school were their praying mantis style has questionable origins and morally questionable marketing strategies and "luohan institute" were STARTED as a phony kung fu school,but,it got certain credibility when they got contacts with shaolin master shi deyang.

How is the situation of phony kung fu and martial arts in your home country?

Hello Zui Quan, Welcome to the forum! I think you may find any old school Kung fu in Brazil taking a low profile back seat in your country because of the popularity of Brazilian Jujitsu and Capoeira. Is Karate and the Korean Arts represented and taught in Brazil by Japanese and Korean Masters? Here in the United States you will see (initially from migration) more TCMA and traditional Japanese and Korean Arts available taught by lineage family members where authenticity has been preserved. Once you promote MA for sport and commercial enterprise you may lose some of the purport and essence of the original styles. There are ways to cross-reference what is being taught so that you will know if you are learning traditional lineage art-form. Most students will not care whether or not they are learning traditional TCMA or Bung bu bu.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 12-26-2016 at 06:22 PM.

phony is as phony does.

Authentic styles are just made-up (or "phony") styles that have been around long enough.

In some cultures creative people have had to mask their inventions behind some ancient tradition because it would be arrogant to claim they made it up themselves. Phony? Maybe, maybe not. Just how things are done sometimes.

So if a "phony" school seems good and the the teachers are able and respectable people, why worry about it? And if you find cultish power-games, nonsense and superstition in an authentic school, maybe it's better to avoid it. Look for what's really important. Just 2¢
    Last edited by rett2; 12-27-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    Authentic styles are just made-up (or "phony") styles that have been around long enough.

In some cultures creative people have had to mask their inventions behind some ancient tradition because it would be arrogant to claim they made it up themselves. Phony? Maybe, maybe not. Just how things are done sometimes.

So if a "phony" school seems good and the the teachers are able and respectable people, why worry about it? And if you find cultish power-games, nonsense and superstition in an authentic school, maybe it's better to avoid it. Look for what's really important. Just 2¢
    That is the problem,though.In "authentic" styles,the creators tend to actually have knowledge and experience in fighting techniques,independant of the "legends" of their style or what they believe. In most phony schools,they teachers don't have that,let alone being "able" and "respected" people. Remember ashida kim? The phonys here are on his level,just not as rich or famous....

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post

depending on which economy you are embracing, 2 cents goes a long way...

phony kung fu is what westterners want.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Phön Yi is the loud intention style of future kung fu whereby one disrupts their enemies vibrational structure though precise octave projection. I had a dream once....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Phön Yi is the loud intention style of future kung fu whereby one disrupts their enemies vibrational structure though precise octave projection. I had a dream once....
    hahaha... the enemy is powerless. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    no... that is what you want westerners to want... your mom is very weak.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

dude you are clueless. the foreigners are the one's that spend all there free time in places like this chatting and having discussion about kung fu and practicing it as if it was a religion. in china in the big cities it goes like this. you might find a school hidden somewhere that teaches little children, summertime may have full kids classes. in the parks you can find elderly people doing tai chi early in the morning in small groups. adults do not have the time for kung fu, they are busy earning a living for their family and very little free time. once in a while some very wealthy business man may have this hobby ,but even then he wont train daily like kung fu practitioners do in the states.

people don't have the time, or the need to do kung fu in china. the one's who do kung fu do it as a career. like before in Beijing I trained at a shuai Jiao school where the students were full time.and now in Songshan Shaolin where the students live at the schools. hopefully when they graduate from the program they can go on to be coaches or soldiers usually. they usually come from a poor families and poor village and don't have the money or capability to get a good education, so their parents send them to learn Wu Shu.

you may be surprised to know that the passion is not always there in these full time students, like it is for those who choose to study it with their own free will.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 12-28-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan View Post
    How is the situation of phony kung fu and martial arts in your home country?
    In the city I live in, there is a variety of KF styles, but I can't say I'm aware of any phony kung fu. Regarding Chinese styles alone, AFAIK there is: CLF, Taiji (Yang, Chen, etc.), Xingyi, N. Mantis, Hung Gar, Wing Chun, Bagua, etc. There used to be a very good school of Lung Ying (Dragon), Mok Gar, and Liuhebafa, but the teacher retired and moved away. There are at least a couple of modern wushu academies here, and I recently noticed a new Shaolin academy. There may be other Chinese styles, but since I no longer check out MA schools and rarely mix in the MA world anymore, I wouldn't know.

There's plenty of legitimate kung fu, and I'm not aware of any 'phony' kung fu around here. For the most part, like most of the karate schools now, it's all low-key. This city is a big MMA/BJJ mecca. That's what's visible mostly. I think that phony kung fu would be a tough sell.

For a short while there were some Oom Yung Doe schools which were a definite scam (and a cult). They are long gone. In their ads they claimed to teach a combination of arts that included kung fu.

I have a younger female cousin who is a black belt in something called "Shaolin Kenpo", but that is a modern Americanized, hybridized karate style (basically a substyle of Kenpo karate) which, IMO and in spite of the name, couldn't really pass itself off as traditional Chinese kung fu if it tried to. The name itself is weird as it's both Chinese (Shaolin) and Japanese (Kenpo). Kind of like calling a style 'Karate chuan/quan'. But she seems pretty good at it, so I wouldn't consider it a phony MA, just not a traditional Chinese or Japanese style.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-28-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post

no... that is what you want westerners to want... your mom is very weak.
    ok then why dont u train some real kung fu instead of doing fukin juggling
    Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    dude you are clueless. the foreigners are the one's that spend all there free time in places like this chatting and having discussion about kung fu and practicing it as if it was a religion. in china in the big cities it goes like this. you might find a school hidden somewhere that teaches little children, summertime may have full kids classes. in the parks you can find elderly people doing tai chi early in the morning in small groups. adults do not have the time for kung fu, they are busy earning a living for their family and very little free time. once in a while some very wealthy business man may have this hobby ,but even then he wont train daily like kung fu practitioners do in the states.

people don't have the time, or the need to do kung fu in china. the one's who do kung fu do it as a career. like before in Beijing I trained at a shuai Jiao school where the students were full time.and now in Songshan Shaolin where the students live at the schools. hopefully when they graduate from the program they can go on to be coaches or soldiers usually. they usually come from a poor families and poor village and don't have the money or capability to get a good education, so their parents send them to learn Wu Shu.

you may be surprised to know that the passion is not always there in these full time students, like it is for those who choose to study it with their own free will.
    you dont have the social and networking skills to find real kung fu people in china and youre a racist sexpat.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-28-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

the only secret is sweat my friend.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 12-28-2016 at 09:50 PM.

One mark of a Kung Fu man is to extend courtesy regardless if he thinks his conversation mate is a fool.

That's not phony.

Be kind to each other.

Signed: the jerk moderator.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    The messed up part is that there is a bit of truth to Bawangs statement. Although I wouldn't just limit it to Westerners only.

By that I mean, there are always those groups of people who want the WOO WOO and fantasy of martial arts but not really wanting to do the hard work or to risk getting hurt by actually fighting.

My personal peeve is all the videos out there for IMA. The master barely moves his hand and the students are jumping. We've all seen them BUT STILL, in the clear evidence of that...students persist in wanting that over hard work. Brainwashing or are they really that stupid???

If you kinda look at it in a cyclical way.

*The way things were >>>>>>>

MMA >>>>>>>

*They way things used to be either by (Blow-back) or willful ignorance

There are always those who prefer the WOO WOO though. It kinda makes sense, not everyone can or will fight. There's pain involved and who likes that. So it's more social I think.

Wiz cool is right too, sweat...albeit the right way.
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"